Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2019, 02:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maverick E-36  (Read 978 times)
PaulR
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share my recent build of a Maverick for E-36. It is scaled down from the original 1/2A design by Tom Hutchinson and kitted by RM Enterprises, using some of the ideas that the late Frank Pollard suggested for a F1Q version. It was built mainly from 4-6lb 0.8mm - 1mm contest balsa (sorry about mixing the units!), with hard balsa spars and 1mm sq. longerons to provide some strength to the fuselage corners.

Finished weights (including doped Esaki tissue covering) of the main air-frame components are:

Fuselage, pylon and fin:  25.9g
Stab:  5.8g
Wing:  21.5g

I opted for a conservative power train for the first flights to see if there were any untoward traits. This comprised an AX 1806N-2500kv motor, Thunder power 350mAh battery, Plush 10A controller and Graupner 7.5" x 4" folder. I used my own electronic timer, RCDT and tracker. This brought the total weight ready to fly to 130g. I needn't have worried as the climb was almost straight up for the first few seconds before falling into a nice right spiral and then a bouncy glide. However, the glide was tending left and this was corrected with some wing tilt. I also tried 6" x 5.5 and 6"x6" fixed props with much the same results.  

The rate of climb was around 60m in 6 seconds, a fair bit less than the current benchmarks though giving a still air capability of well over 2 minutes off a 10 second run. So I am now going to start playing around with a more ambitious power train and see what can be obtained.

Paul.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Maverick E-36
Maverick E-36
Maverick E-36
Maverick E-36
Maverick E-36
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Just a note Frank Pollard is alive and well
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »

Looks good, I am still using 1806N motor until I get more experience. That sure is a good weight and everything is so enclosed.

Bill
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »

The all-up weight is good.
The square prop will probably be your best bet.
To be in the ballpark you need to be doing 4:15 - 4:30 to the ground on a ten second motor run.
PaulR
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My apologies to Frank, Glad to hear that he is still going strong! I like the Maverick design as both my F1Q and E-36 versions flew "straight off the board" and their classic appearance appeals to my eye.

My next power plant iteration will probably be a Texas Timers Red Max (around 100w) as I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. There will be a very interesting article in the next NFFS Symposium by Tapio discussing limiting the performance of E-36, which will probably promote much discussion!

Regards,

Paul.
PaulR
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »

Hi Again Everyone,

Just an update on the Maverick. I upgraded the power train to a Cobra 2203-2800kv motor and 12A Plush controller. One nice feature of this motor is it weighs only 23g with removable mount and prop holder. Using a 7v source it pulled 11.7A with a 6x5 and 15A on a 6x5.5 static.

While my previous set up with the 1806N-2500kv motor only gave 60 meters on a 6 second motor run, this one gave around 80 meters with the 6x5 and 90 meters with the 6x 5.5, as shown in the attached graphs.

It is a bit early to say much about the sink rate while gliding, but I have measured between .44 and .65 m/sec so far. However, with the smaller wing area than some E-36 designs, I don't expect to be able to match consistently the top ones.

We still haven't had any E-36 competitions here in Perth as yet  but there are some other interesting models being developed so hopefully it shouldn't be far off.

Regards,

paul

Re: Maverick E-36
PaulR
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »

Hi Again,

Finally got the chance to try a longer motor run, though there was some thick fog around and the model vanished 2/3 into the climb on the fist few flights!

Anyway, some altitude data with the Cobra and 6 x 5.5 is attached. Nearly 150m on a 10 sec motor run and still going strong with a 325 mAh Lipo. The climb is a near vertical spiral, doing about 3 turns before a very nice transition into the glide. The glide sink rate on that graph is horrendous but probably due to the fog (note how rapidly the temperature was dropping). It is normally around 0.5 m/sec.

Regards,

paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: