Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 06, 2019, 03:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cork mat for building boards. Potential supplier. UK  (Read 1661 times)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »

If you're UK based and like me still use cork on a baseboard then you might want to check out Charles Cantrill  (www.charlescantrill.com).

They supply bath1 mats and they do custom sizes.  I don't know yet how much they charge as my current build (VMC's Sopwith F1) fits nicely onto a standard sized bath mat as will the next planned build.  However the build after that will need a bigger board at which point...

1 - Don't laugh.  A standard size (slightly larger than A2 or about 18" x 24") cork bath mat  is about a tenner2, is made of high density uniform grain cork and is nice and deep (3/8" or better) so holds pins really well.  All that and it doesn't suffer from those irritating join lines you get with cork tiles.  Also pretty easy to get hold of in bricks and mortar shops. 

http://www.bluecanyon.co.uk/duck-boards/cork-bath-mat/ are charging 15 quid, but I picked up one theirs locally for £9.
martina
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »

I will definitely be looking at this - my current board uses cork tiles bonded to a thick marine ply base. I could do with a larger board, this source sounds ideal! - do you still have to use a base board or is the thick cork stiff enough not to need one?

Thanks for the tip!

Regards, Martin
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »

I must try a cork building board. At the moment I use 18mm MDF board. Its a lot harder than cork of course but this doesnt seem to bother me. I have nice fine sharp pins( the ones with the big orange plastic heads) and find that if the section im building needs to be man handled a bit they stay lodged in nicely.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

- do you still have to use a base board or is the thick cork stiff enough not to need one?
You'll have to use a baseboard because the cork isn't quite thick enough to use unsupported and flexes a bit.  I'm using a fairly cheap 1/2" laminated pine board at the moment but marine ply would be a much better substrate.However the mat only has to be glued down firmly enough to stop it moving so a few large dollops of PVA will be sufficient.

If you do get a custom cork mat/sheet from Cantrill would you mind letting the rest of us know how much they charge?

chr$
Lurk.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »

The bath mats do look a good starting point for making a corkboard but if you are wanting to make model aeroplanes have you considered using a magnetic board instead? So far I have never heard anyone who has tried saying they will go back to using pins.  One of the cheapest way to start and one that doesn't need any work yourself is to buy a magnetic white board which are ready made and usually supplied with a few magnets.  Mine is outside in the workroom at the moment so I can't quote the exact size but it is about 24"x15" and cost me about £7 at the local Garden Centre. Extra magnets are about two or three pound a dozen.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 02:06:46 AM »

...have you considered using a magnetic board instead? So far I have never heard anyone who has tried saying they will go back to using pins.
John
One new thing at a time.   Cork based boards were what I used to use so that's what I automatically went back to. I only encountered the idea of magnetic boards a month or two back here and it seemed like an interesting idea, but I'd already (re)committed to cork boards and my pocket money budget for hobbies won't stand a great deal of chopping and changing.

It's worth knowing that the technique is still being used (the referenced site above hasn't been updated in 10 years) and is still felt to be better than pinning.  So thanks for that.

Cheers,
Lurk.

Extra magnets are about two or three pound a dozen.
Map pins are cheaper. Wink
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »

OK, I'll suggest the fiber 2' x 4' acoustic ceiling tiles.

https://www.amazon.com/2X4-Plateau-Ceil-Tile-Pack/dp/B000ZNM1JK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500994288&sr=8-1&keywords=economy+ceiling+tiles

They are made from something very like Celotex, which is a product I was building atop as far back as the 1950's. They do not have the strength of MDF, but they can be bonded to 1/4" Luan Plywood. They take pins better than anything else I've ever tried.

They have texture, but when you flip them over, they are smooth and flat.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »

Because I'm an idiot1 I need a larger piece of cork than the one I have at the moment.  I've ordered a sheet from Cantrill, contact info. above and price and ordering info., for those, like me, who haven't yet got around to metal sheet and magnets, given below.

Maximum sheet size Cantrill can supply is 915mm x 610mm (roughly 3' x 2').  
No mention of maximum thickness.

Current prices to nearest pound sterling for resin bonded cork sheet grade CC20072 are:
900 x 500 x 12 (36" x 20" x 0.5")   21.00
900 x 200 x 12 (36" x  8"  x 0.5")   10.00

Carriage is extra, currently GBP6.00, and VAT to be added to the whole.
Delivery is 1 to 2 working days, but I expect that doesn't include the Highlands & Islands.

Ordering.  You can pay by bank transfer or by card over the 'phone but you must place your order via e-mail, they can no longer take orders placed over the 'phone.  They will send, by e-mail, a proforma invoice (as PDF) with their account details for bank transfer.  If you pay by card over the 'phone just quote the invoice number.

1 For further details send a large3 stamped addressed envelope and postal order for 1/3d to :

Customer Services,
   The Lurker Industries Aeroplane Co. Ltd

Mark the bottom LH corner of your SAE with, "Why is Lurk an Idiot?"

2 I asked for dense / close "grained" cork sheet and CC2007 is what was offered.

3 Yes, a large envelope.  There are myriad reasons.  If it were just one or two the company wouldn't have to spend so much time and money on correcting his blunders.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »

I have Ben using a magnetic board (24 x 15 ins) for some months now and am well and truly hooked.  The sheet of 2mm mild steel cost £2 and it is mounted on a bit of 3/8th MDF I had.  The magnets - 20 of different strengths were about £8.  There is a lot of versatility using magnets.
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »

I've been using  Drywall (sheetrock or gypsum wallboard dependant on Geography) V cheap... Dead flat and disposable when grotty.
Also easy to cut to smaller sizes ..advantageous for building smaller bits (ie Stabs etc) concurrently. 
Have noticed that local Michaels' craft store sells Foam core sheets with a Cork skin in 5/16" and 1/2" thicknesses For those who prefer old school cork surfaces.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 05:35:32 AM »

In case it is of interest the magnets were about £8. for 40 magnets of varying strengths.  ‘T was the heat !
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »

Today, in a spirit of experimentation, I visited my local stationery and art supplies shop and enquired about magnetic boards. They had some but most were too small, one of them perhaps about the right size for peanuts but a bit flimsy, and the somewhat appealing glass one was not quite big enough and rather expensive. At the suggestion of the young lady who served me I invested in some magnetic tape and a box of magnets which will enable me to suck and see on some small components such as tails. It seems one can also get magnetic sheets, which could be quite handy. I probably need to investigate the local building supplies people and see what's available in MDF or similar as a base. Cardboard is a bit too flexible and the cork notice board I bought a while ago is coming out of its frame. It needs a stouter backing but takes pins nicely. An improvised balsa board is quite satisfactory but probably needs a cork face and perhaps some stiffeners at the back. The cork bath mats sound quite appealing.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »

Quote from: Snaky Stringer
....The cork bath mats sound quite appealing.
Snaky,

You can build some reasonably big models on a standard size bath mat. My last was a 35" span glider.  See the, slightly out of focus, attachment. The base-board is some cheap pine from the local DIY place.

The only reason I'm going for a bigger board is because the Walthew MK II's wing, 29" span, is unitary construction which is then cut for the tip dihedral and, at least for the first attempt at it, I want to go with the designer's build recommendations rather than building it as a three part wing.

A bath mat is more than big enough for indoor/kit scale stuff in the 20" span range.  I've built VMC's Hurricane, Camel and Osprey on mine.

Would I choose cork if I was starting afresh or was brand new to the hobby?  I doubt it; metal sheet and magnets seem to have the edge, but I'm comfortable with it so I'll stick with it for now.

Cheers,
Lurk.

Edit to add.
New cork sheet received yesterday.  Looks to be very good quality, very uniform, dense and flat.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cork mat for building boards. Potential supplier. UK
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:02:50 PM by TheLurker » Logged
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »

:-) 1/2" Foam core  has 1/8" (3mm) cork surface one side only.. 30" x 40"  ? only looked in passing TBH   ~12$.
 Cork can be purchased by the foot Or yard in 36" Or 48" widths 1/8 or 1/4" thicknesses at building supply centres.. very affordably.
 Problem is that one would needs have enough cork thickness so that the pins have passable purchase depth.
 Not overly useful (Intensely frustrating in My experiences) when the pin goes in 1/8" or 1/4" then stops dead at the backing surface

Looked into Mag boards a few years back.
 A sheet  of  4' x 4'  16 ga Galvanised steel  (why futz about with teeny sizes? ) was cheapish at a metals supplier.
 Magnets were decidedly not.. Neos are now surprisingly pricey. Count on  +100$  for suitable mags in useful quantities
 Weren't  that pricey..even 5 years ago. Moderne times?
  Those imo crappy ~1" square  steel sandwich affairs with a bit of Ferrite magnet in them..typically found fitted to low grade Kitchen cabinetry of yesteryear.
  were ~ 100$ for a decent supply, a ~ couple of dozen,.. as best I could find. The fact that they are actually weak magnets made them even less appealing  for me.
Caveat emptor.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Been using magnet board for years.  Check this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnetic-Buttons-52ct-by-Horizon-Group-USA/19525324
I use these and they have plenty of holding power and I have larger rectangular that I got at Harbor Freight that you have a hard time pulling off the metal, really strong and they are perfect 90 degree so I can use them when I want to get 90 degree alignment.  They were 99 cents for 2.  I also found some welding magnets that are good for alignment at Harbor freight.  Didn't mean to jump in but you can do a magnet board pretty reasonably.....don't think I'd go back to pins.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 12:47:18 AM »

Quote from: fred
 Problem is that one would needs have enough cork thickness so that the pins have passable purchase depth.
 Not overly useful (Intensely frustrating in My experiences) when the pin goes in 1/8" or 1/4" then stops dead at the backing surface
Decent quality cork bath mats, at least here in right-pondia, are usually somewhere between 3/8" and 1/2" thick. Cantrill, see upthread, will cut to thickness as well length and width. So far I've found that that the depth of the bath mat sheets is more than good enough to hold pins securely.

Quote from: pedwards2932
...They were 99 cents for 2...
And I pay about the same or a little more for a box of map pins / T-pins.  I think pins & board (cork or other) may just have the edge on affordability over metal/ good quality magnets and for some people, especially youngsters funding the hobby out of limited pocket-money, that's the deciding factor.  Yer pays yer money yer makes yer choice. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:28:22 AM by TheLurker » Logged
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

Been using magnet board for years.  Check this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnetic-Buttons-52ct-by-Horizon-Group-USA/19525324
I use these and they have plenty of holding power and I have larger rectangular that I got at Harbor Freight that you have a hard time pulling off the metal, really strong and they are perfect 90 degree so I can use them when I want to get 90 degree alignment.  They were 99 cents for 2.  I also found some welding magnets that are good for alignment at Harbor freight.  Didn't mean to jump in but you can do a magnet board pretty reasonably.....don't think I'd go back to pins.

Thank You.. Those  Wallyworld mags .. while imo aren't ideal (not square) .. the pricing is V reasonable. 
As I have 20 x 30 galv metal sheet on hand..   I will give them a try.
The square mag assembly types, in my explorations, were Seriously overpriced ~3$ each..  but then the sources were  Modelling  Roll Eyes sites
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »

The Wally world ones have a lot of holding power and I haven't had much issue with them being round.  I plan to print up some 90 degree angles that will work with them as well as some clamping systems.....3D printer makes it easy to design
fred
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:01 PM »

Good idea! on the printer..
Have one of those ..with nothing worth the trouble to print... at the moment 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: