Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 01:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Engines, VA vs. AME  (Read 704 times)
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:27:31 PM »

I have acquired a few 1/2A engines over the years.  Of course, the real powerhouses are the Cyclon's and related clones, but the first to really challenge the Cox Tee Dee domination of 1/2A was, I think the VA starting with the old split case.  I have seen all vintages of VA engines used in Free Flight (Always Capitalize) competition, the MkII being the most powerful, but don't recall seeing any Norvel/AME engines used.  I did use one on my test-bed Mini-Pearl for a couple contests, and it seemed to pull it pretty well.  Anyone have any experience with these engines?  They seem to be pretty well made, and I was able to score a few quite reasonably on eBay.

Thoughts??
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:54 AM »

I have one AME, and I really like it. Powerful,  easy to start and adjust, consistent.
Not much of a sample size, I know, but if I could stay on track for 5 minutes, I'd finish the model I started for it.

Keen to see what other think, too.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »

I think the AME's are more mass produced than the VAs-and hence likely to be of somewhat lower quality-that being said-the R/C fliers seem to use them-but they don't seem to have made much of a headway into contest FF-though the current NZ Payload record-which I was timekeeper for (held by Bernard Scott) was set with an AME......!
   I note that the Stels 049 has not received a mention in this context (lightweight 1/2A engines)-I have two-one SE, one RE-plus one of the extremely rare 061 models-which are a completely different design to the 049....

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »

I flew an AME for several years. If it's a good one it will sing.
Quality Control was spotty on them is what I heard.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »

Since the Stels was brought up,it is one of the best 1\2 A motors I have ever had.But there are a few variations,the one with the split rear exhaust that do not connect is, the good one.Mine turned (and still does) a 5.7x2.2 apc prop right at 29k with 45% nitro. The weight is the same as the TeeDee. This is the motor I used to win the America's cup in 1995. My friend Bob Stalick has one that is just as good.   
Shackas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »

Having played with both the VA and AME (and V) engines over the years, my gut feeling is that a properly setup VA Mk I will go harder than an AME 049 on a FF-suitable prop, in part because there's a bit more scope to optimize the fits and timing of the VA (by virtue of the RYOT feature).

However, the AME's I've used all gave a minimum of adequate performance. As noted in other posts though, some were just better than others. FWIW, my current 1/2A power model (Orbiteer) has an AME 061 sitting the front turning an APC 5.5 x 2.5 on 30% nitro (20% castor) fuel. It logged 8 x 2 min maxes (I think it was an 8 sec motor run for locked down models) at this years AFFS Champs which suited me fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: