Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 05:06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Remote Release/launch device.......  (Read 779 times)
Boeingdriver
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »

I'm sportflying a 35 Class stunt and profile plane.  I fly by myself and need a mechanism to hold the running plane until I'm ready to launch.  I can roll off on pavement or grass and already have a 3rd. line from the plane to the center of the circle.   Does anyone have a simple sketch of something to hold the plane until I'm ready to go?    I had something last weekend but it didn't work as planned and smashed a prop.   Ideas?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »

I have read of release pins either trapping a tail wheel or going through a hole in a bracket or similar on the model. The release pin should be spring loaded shut and released by pulling a third line.

Mount the whole assembly on a piece of 1/4 or thicker plywood and stake firmly into the ground(for grass).

Do a google for CL Stooges and I'm sure you will find many ideas out there.

John
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »

A very simple-mechanism free option (though not particularly compact) involves a wooden crate (usually stood on end) with a rubber mat (a scrap of carpet with the pile on the inside will also work!)  folded into an airfoil shape and attached to the top of the crate with nails or tacks. Obviously the crate needs to be weighted or staked down firmly. The model's  (engine running) outer wing is inserted into the airfoiled receptacle on the box (obviously the size and weighting of the box will depending on the size of the model)-the pilot retreats to the centre of the circle, picks up the handle and steps back sharply pulling the model towards the centre and out of the mat/carpet 'slipper'....and away you go-no latches, 3rd lines etc required.  This system works very well for combat models-and small stunters-but there is no reason why-with a little bit of ingenuity-it can not be adapted for a "ground level" release for a larger stunter-and a conventional takeoff.

....the only disadvantage-and it is very minor-is that the wooden crate (if that is what you use) can become a bit of an obstacle on landing-but that is easily rectified by positioning it outside the normal flying radius by 3-4 feet-so that you have to step back at least two steps to 'centre' yourself.  For your 'stunt' setup-all you would need would be a piece of plank-and perhaps a block of wood-to set the mat/carpet slipper at the right height  so that the model sat correctly on the ground when in the stooge...which of course can easily be oriented to keep the nose pointing out of the circle when the model is released.

ChrisM
  'ffkiwi'
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:27:07 AM »

Hi Boeingdriver

You asked for a 'simple sketch'.  Not sure if what I'm going to post is what you want, as they are photographs and the design may be more complicated than I suspect that you might be looking for.  The design and description are not mine - they were both posted on the Barton Control Line Site, on 21 May 2013, by Fred Krueger, Aurora, IL, USA.

The description is as follows: 'Here's the details of my stooge. It was constructed from 4 pieces of angle aluminium, a brass rod, a washer (soldered to the brass rod as a spring stop) and a coil spring. It was assembled on a piece of scrap steel to which I attached 2 eye-bolts. The eye-bolts are used for anchoring the stooge when used with a large model. The stooge spring loaded rod holds an eyelet terminated wire at one end. The other end of the wire clips to the tail-wheel assembly of the airplane. A length of control line wire is attached to the stooge spring loaded rod. A pull on this wire moves the rod, releasing the wire attached to the tail wheel.'

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Remote Release/launch device.......
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »

The sketch below shews what was done sometimes in the early days of control line although I guess it would not be too reliable if your lines were longer than the typical 40 feet of those days. The beauty of the method is that there is no mechanism to go wrong and you always have the model to hand until it is released for flight.  The only equipment is a post placed half way between the centre and the circumference of the flight circle.  In use you place your model in the centre of the circle, with the handle in your hand you walk round the post and back to the model. Start the motor, restrain the model with the left hand, make sure you have the handle in your right hand, release the model and it will follow an arcuate path to blend tangentially with the flight circle. 
If you adopt this method will you please ensure that you get a good video for us all to enjoy.
hepcat John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

I've done what Hepcat is showing a lot with 70 foot lines.

Some issues were that the area inside the circle has to be smooth. I've had models bounce around and get tangled in the lines. I even had one cut the lines and the model run in free flight towards me!

The pivot need to be of a low profile so as to not interfere with the lines on landing. On tarmac (concrete or asphalt) I can't drive the pivot into the ground. I've used heavy lead acid batteries to hold the pivot stationary. (Insulate the terminals so that the lines can't short across them!) Be aware that the battery has height when landing. I often had to land with the handle held high to clear the pivot.

And the last issue I recall was that the starting kit is next to you in the circle. I've tripped over this starting box after doing over head maneuvers or running to keep the lines taught.

It is far better to fly with a partner. But if one isn't available this does work well if one is aware of its limitations.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
GordV
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »

http://brodak.com/tru-launch-stooge.html

MAAC 3738L, Life member
Boeingdriver
Nickel Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

Gentlemen:    Thanks for the multiple suggestions.    I hadn't considered the wing envelope idea.   I'm refining a tailwheel release mechanism and hope to try it out late today.

Regards.
qazimoto
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:48:49 AM »

I'm sportflying a 35 Class stunt and profile plane.  I fly by myself and need a mechanism to hold the running plane until I'm ready to launch.  I can roll off on pavement or grass and already have a 3rd. line from the plane to the center of the circle.   Does anyone have a simple sketch of something to hold the plane until I'm ready to go?    I had something last weekend but it didn't work as planned and smashed a prop.   Ideas?

He's a simple and effective self release method. Just requires a screwdriver as a pivot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWh4kaqWFHQ
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 02:25:05 AM »

In the past I've pegged the handle and put the models outer wing (with engine running) against my flight box. Go to the centre, pick up the handle and drag the model clear of the box, no sweat.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: