Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 26, 2019, 01:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New stuff - well not really  (Read 854 times)
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »

I was clearing up the balsa box recently, and before I knew it, I had built another Night Train wing.
Actually, I broke the wing of the older of my 2 Night Trains at Lost Hills in Feb, and elected to build another rather than repair (again).
Like most of my stuff, better viewed from at least 10 feet, and even better, 500 feet (Night Train has quite the climb!).
John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
New stuff - well not really
New stuff - well not really
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:41:18 PM by glidermaster » Logged

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

Looks ok.  But what are you doing to crash them?
TRuss
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »

Looks good.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »

It wasn't a crash this time Howard, just to an awkward DT. A repair would have been quite straight forward, but that wing had been repaired 3 times before. I fly with the likes of De Shields, Hannah and Tarvin, who are masters of stylish finish, so a scruffy model is, well, it's just not on, really.......

JB

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:31:54 AM »

Very nice John, the Train must go on.We need that model to represent a golden time in FAI power.You are the man to do just that. 
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »

Nice John, though as Ladi says, "flying god does not care about good looking models!" ...said with a gravely Czech accent with happy guy hanging out of corner of mouth.  Grin

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »

Glidermaster John,
In my early years as a fanatical followed of the FF religion I had the benefit of rubbing shoulders with, (sorry, licking the boots of) many of the best in the business (including your Dad of course).  One important thing I learnt was that the only reason to use more than one colour on covering a model was to make it easier to see when in a thermal, or a corn field, or a tree. Patches were regarded as medals for carrying on flying in adverse conditions. They could be any colour or even made from the bag you took your sandwiches in if time was short.
My, my, how times do change.  In a few decades art galleries will have special rooms devoted to the specialized colours and patterns of the Artisan miniature aeroplane makers of the twenty first century.  Actually John your decoration is the most refined I have seen and if I wasn’t so old and crabby I would admit I like it a lot.
Hepcatjohn.

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

Glidermaster John,
In my early years as a fanatical followed of the FF religion I had the benefit of rubbing shoulders with, (sorry, licking the boots of) many of the best in the business (including your Dad of course).  One important thing I learnt was that the only reason to use more than one colour on covering a model was to make it easier to see when in a thermal, or a corn field, or a tree. Patches were regarded as medals for carrying on flying in adverse conditions. They could be any colour or even made from the bag you took your sandwiches in if time was short.
My, my, how times do change.  In a few decades art galleries will have special rooms devoted to the specialized colours and patterns of the Artisan miniature aeroplane makers of the twenty first century.  Actually John your decoration is the most refined I have seen and if I wasn’t so old and crabby I would admit I like it a lot.
Hepcatjohn.

Patched airplanes fly better and also intimidate the opposition. I poke a hole and do a patch before the plane ever gets a test glide.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »

I had a good chuckle at both the last 2 posts, after scratching my head a bit at Bernards.

Here are the old and new together - not so bad the old one, really. But the camera doth, in fact, lie - bigly  (to use a Bill Dennis expression).

JB
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New stuff - well not really

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »

They both look good to me.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »

Further to the illustrious Hepcat's post, I did find that the red/white scheme of Night Train was not very easy to see, climbing slowly in a succession of Fab Feb thermals, so the new one has a black circle under the right tip as a visibility aid. We'll see if it helps, but I observe that Bruce Hannah uses quite a bit of black in his colour schemes. Years ago there was an article in an Aeromodeller  annual, that put red at the top of the visibility chart (I think).
JB

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:17:48 AM »

Yes John I use black more now that my eyes aren't as good at picking out little tiny dots of white or yellow.I like red but the chart I saw orange was the winner,good in the sky and on the ground. But the color doesn't much matter if it's a pile of sticks a few feet in front of you.
i hope you get the train trimmed out with the new wing,I think I see a little of Bob D. influence in there. See you in a few weeks.

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »

Black is good for distance.
Red is good on the ground.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 02:41:06 AM »

In the current Aeromodeller, Dave Hipperson discusses colour and yes - black is best but I also use fluorescent pink on tips and fin. You can see it in the air and on the ground from a very long way.
Mike Thomas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »

Patched airplanes fly better and also intimidate the opposition. I poke a hole and do a patch before the plane ever gets a test glide.

I have always thought that there would be quite a market for pre-patched tissue for these very reasons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: