Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2020, 06:11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: engine timers  (Read 901 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

Experts please. If, for example, someone in the UK were to build a 1/2A size model for Slow Open Power, what timer would be used? I´ve got a combination cutoff/instant DT timer from Mike Woodhouse but it is very heavy.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:27 PM »

I use a couple different timers, mostly mini Seligs not light but I have a bunch of them.Also I have modified coupe timers by adding an arm for fuel shut off.That way I have engine and DT for the one timer,I think it weighs 12 gr. and needs a remote start switch.Works fine on my 1\4 A.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »

Sadly, Texas Timers made a really nice timer for small 1/2A.  The Micro-Max had both DT and engine cutoff combo.  They didn't sell too well.  I have a few, and am attempting to accumulate a couple more for some projects I have.

Happily, they still make possibly the very best lightweight engine cutoff in the Micro.  Go to Texastimers.com for complete technical and ordering info.  I know several who use them to handle timer duties on .40 powered airplanes.  They can be set up for quick DT per instructions on his Helpful Hints page.

They also make a really really light DT timer, which in combo with the Micro is nearly as light as the late lamented Micro-Max, less fiddly than viscous rotators, and neater than a fuse.

His site is especially educational on timers, bladder tanks, and other Free Flight (Always Capitalize) hardware.

No, I don't own any stock, just a very satisfied customer after well over a dozen years.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »

What do you mean by heavy, Bill?
I have some of the old 'classic' engine timers,  and they're 12.8 and 16.8 grams respectively, and are as basic as can be. Something with the ability to use near instant DT is worth a few grams in my view.
John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: engine timers
Re: engine timers

Gliders are a part of me.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »

Just checked Texas Timers web site.  The Micro 1 weighs 6 grams.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:57 AM »

Thanks all for the replies.
I have a few Tatones and was going to rig up a Tomy for DT but it seems (according to FFS website)my SLOP timer is 18g so I will go with that at this stage. After all, after my previous forays into power duration, my target is to have something that goes up and stays there awhile when it goes quiet. Nothing more. Previous efforts tended to be up and straight down.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:31:11 AM by billdennis747 » Logged
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:35 AM »

Hi

For mechanical timers for SLOP I'd recommend you bite the bullet and buy a TexasTimer III ... the faster running one.

You need quick DT which makes trimming much faster and much safer.  Get the corresponding fuel shutoff as well.  TT are a little pricey but compared to the time and effort to build a model, expenses travelling to comps, buying trackers and bugs and bins etc etc. 

Lol ... You're leaving it a bit late to get into SLOP ... FF comp is virtually dead on its ass in the U.K.

Good luck.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: