Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 20, 2019, 08:43:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some questions about printing pdf files  (Read 340 times)
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »

I print a lot of pdf files and like to try to print at the proper scale, which, since I have a small cheap HP printer that prints A4 and letter, involves quite a lot of post printing cutting and sticking. Sometimes I find that the printer leaves gaps between the tiles. Is this something I'm doing wrong or an unavoidable consequence of using such puny paper. Would an A3 printer do a better job or should I just take or send the files to a professional printer 

Would like to hear from experienced printers.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:46:57 PM »

It all depends on how much you think your time is worth. As for me, the thought of trying to figure out how to "Tile" print a drawing correctly, then sitting there trying to line up all of the tick marks, and then arguing with the tape dispenser, makes me want to wretch. I put the .pdf on a thumb drive, drive down the street to my local FEDEX Office store, and ask them to print it Black and white, full scale. In fact, I ask for two copies, one to build on and the other for templates. Usually about $5.00 each (give or take depending on the size). For me, this is totally worth it.

Your results may vary.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »

Yeah glue sticking all those letter sized Prints together can be a pain.  Especially so when there are 30 sheets.
But there's Nothing wrong with your HP's quality.
 Study and experiment with the print settings in Adobe or (better imo) Tracker software's Freebie PDF viewer, for page orientations, overlaps, registry markings etc.
They all are important for ease/accuracy of lining up the printed pages.
Typically there is generous (adjustable) paper margin overlaps which will needs be sliced off as well for an exact match.
  As for having them printed? Wellll My locals (1/2 hour drive away).. start.. at 15$ and up.. per print )
So even the hour's drive time feels  more onerous than pasting sheets together.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:29:27 PM »

I tile or 'poster' print all my plans using the free Adobe Reader. https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

I have a cheap Canon printer which cost only slightly more than a set of ink cartridges !! but this proves adequate.

I'm guessing your are using the printer software to print ? The native Adobe software will print much more reliably

In the print dialogue box in page size and handling I select -  Poster - Tile scale 100% - 0 overlap and select 'cut marks' -  see pic ( This a the Mac version but I'm guessing the PC vers is similar/the same)

This produces A4 sheets which you align using the small crosses it prints on the edge of each tile. The crosses are about 1/2" in from the edge of the paper so you just trim one of the two sheets to be joined and Pritt stick (or similar) the sheets together . I generally put a straight edge along the thrust line/mainspar to double check as I'm sticking them down. I actually have an A3 printer which takes a bit of effort to set up but I still use this method as its much quicker and easier. If I need another template I can just print another set and join together the bits I need
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Some questions about printing pdf files
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:22:16 AM »

Thanks everybody. I will try to get a bit deeper into the mysteries of Adobe Reader and have downloaded the Tracker program. I think some of the trouble I was having may be due to faulty loading of the paper. Somehow assembling a complete plan seems problematic. Small errors combine to make large errors. Still it's a handy displacement activity when actual building seems inappropriate. ;-)
iflyhlg
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »

When I print from PDFs I take a snapshot of the area I need and just print that portion. I find I do not need to print every piece of the drawing just the portion I am working on. Bruce
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »

That sounds interesting. How do you take the snapshot?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »

That sounds interesting. How do you take the snapshot?

You could just take a screenshot ? or is there a better way of doing it ?
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »

In your PDF viewer (Adobe or Tracker) Zoom in on the image portion  you want  to print.. Then in the print panel select 'Print View'.
Which focuses the printer onto that previously zoomed in on image /portion.
All printing and scaling options still apply as if it were a full  PDF sheet print.
Incumbent on a User to  experiment a bunch  to learn the capabilities of one's in use software.
The software can do a Lot .. but only If you let it.
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »

"Take  a snapshot" is in the "edit" dropdown menu of Adobe Reader..  Click and highlight what you want to snip... then you can paste that from your clipboard into your program of choice--

fred, you make a good point about the in use software--often "forget" some of the handy tricks that can be used...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:38:17 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »

Thanks people. You are what makes this site so amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: