Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 30, 2020, 04:18:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BUTTERFLIES  (Read 2720 times)
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »

Here in LA (Lower Alabama) the Monarchs seem to be flying from northwest to southeast.  This observed on a large unobstructed moo cow pasture.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 11:32:38 PM »

We have a chrysalis hanging from a garden stake.  It seems late and too cool for a positive outcome.  We are watching it daily.  If I can get the photo to cooperate....I will share it.
Mooney
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »

Here's a poor photo of the chrysalis.  It's a monarch I think based on the caterpillar and the milkweed.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BUTTERFLIES
Mooney
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »

Something I found interesting during this process is these yellow spots and that yellow line is (not translating in photo)
Is similar to a lighting bug.  These spots glow in the light.  They look luminescent.  In better light you can see the wing pattern through the surface. 
TRuss
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »

I'm a bird lover first and foremost, but this a great thread.  Thanks.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »

To all Butterfly lovers ...   this video is just in.  Monarch butterfly population decreases by 86% in one year in California in 2019 -    cause for alarm ...

4:20 min video here  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=monarch+butterfly+decreases+by+86%25+in+one+year&&view=detail&mid=4A097E45AE3DF5AB154C4A097E45AE3DF5AB154C&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »

Not butterflies, don't see many of those at all in central London (awful place that it is), but here are some bees I managed to get close to in the summer. Note the ragged wing edges.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »

What nice photos from you all.  So encouraging.  I feel for all wildlife flora and fauna or whatever because we have messed up the world big time.  Yes  Monique, having lived and worked in Central London most of my life I can with some conviction say it is an awful place now - it used to be a gem of a place but people have changed it. Now I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to go there. 
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »

The family and I  just went to an indoor butterfly garden in Massachusetts. Walking through the airlock, It was like stepping out of tundra into a rain forest. There were a huge number of tropical plants and trees, some in bloom, hanging orchids, bromeliads, and butterflies. There was a breeding center with windows, and a window display of many different chrysalis' undergoing metamorphosis.

Though it was a greenhouse with glass ceiling, there were special lights gradually coming on, and off, to mimic changing tropical light levels, sprays, streams and humidifiers. In fact, It was so humid in there that for the first few minutes I couldn't take pictures, the camera lens had fogged up. Some photos....

ceyak
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »

The family and I  just went to an indoor butterfly garden in Massachusetts...

was that Magic Wings?  haven't been there since my kids were young (18 & 25 now!), but what a terrific place that is - maybe time for a non-kid visit by a pair of newly-minted "empty nesters"!  Smiley Grin
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »

Yes sir, it was! My first time there. You kind of want to stay there and just sit. Tough afterwards, donning the cold weather gear and heading back out to the car!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:43 AM »

I came across this fellow in my backyard this morning - A Orchard Swallowtail. I thought the scheme would look great on the wings of a model.

Photo from the web - quite a large fellow about 75mm WS.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »

SPRING UPDATE MARCH 20 2019

Our most relaxing, rejuvenating times are our hour (triple homonym) long walks (or hour and a half) to our little Butterfly Meadow/Field/Wetland/Carolinian Forest mix  ecosystem.   Last night, March 19 2019 was an all time great one.  
     Our early spring arrival of our fine feathered friends has begun about a week ago with Robins, Downy Woodpeckers, Song and Field Sparrows and Red Winged Blackbirds, Mourning Doves, and Yellow Shafted Flickers, and geese everywhere.   But we had four new firsts last night as we were out for the full last hour an a half of sunny daylight, with the big full moon already on the rise.   The first flocks of Grackles,  the first Woodcock of Spring, the first Kildeer, and as we were walking home right before sundown, I could hear the wingbeats and the calling, and I looked up, and saw a flock of 40 Tundra Swans or Whistling Swans (83 inch wingspan) heading north right over head, in an unequal "V".
     Spring has sprung.   It is the Spring Equinox or Vernal Equinox, The frogs should be croaking any day now too.   There are no insects out in full force yet, but they will be any time.  It is so swampy and muddy out there, I bet if you looked at a drop of mud water under a microscope like Leeuenhoek, you would see a whole lot of little animals swimming around.
      We always go in there now, so we will keep a watch out for the butterflies and moths and bees and wasps and dragonflies .... and the first warblers that eat the little  flowers  on the trees and shrubs and bushes.
      Thanks for all the replies and pics.  Please keep them coming.  

Pic #1     OSTARA 5 GODDESS OF SPRING
Pic #2     OSTARA 4 GODDESS OF SPRING
Pic #3     GRACKLES IN SPRING
Pic #4     WOODCOCK IN SPRING
Pic #5     KILDEER IN SPRING
Pic #6     TUNDRA SWANS IN SPRING 4

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TUNDRA SWAN VIDEO
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tundra+swans+flying&&view=detail&mid=8542AB2EE5A6F9B7DE978542AB2EE5A6F9B7DE97&rvsmid=2AC7BF6DA7701FE617592AC7BF6DA7701FE61759&FORM=VDQVAP

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »

SUMMER UPDATE       AUGUST 28 2019

Well,  it was a long cold spring and a lot of rain.   Then we went straight into a heat wave for the rest of the summer so far.   In and around my flying field,  the Cricket Field of Jackson Park, and through out the park this summer,  there seems to have been quite a few of the dark Swallowtail butterfly family species flying around during the past few weeks.   The Monarchs are now moving in, I think, as I am seeing more everyday.  Last night on our daily walk to our small little ecosystem area,  I counted 15 monarchs, one swallowtail, whites and sulfurs, some small brown ones, and a first postitive ID of a "Silvery Blue".   The Goldenrod and Aster flowers are right into the start of full bloom right now, so any day, a large flock of Monarchs migrating down the Central Flyway of North America, might come through the Great Lakes and catch a whiff of that Fragrant Eupatorium, or Thoroughwort,  both white Aster flowers, called Eupatorium Japonicum - Family Asteraceae, Genus Eupatorium, Species japonicum.  The common names are "Fragrant Eupatorium" and "Thoroughwort".
       Last nights walk was especially good for butterflies (and watching a spider make, spin, and attach about three complete circles of web, to each web spoke radiating out, stopping and attaching to each spoke the same way),  and on coming back home and entering the South side of Jackson Park where there was a large opening in the large deciduous canopy, where, from sundown until about 20 minutes later, I set another personal record.   The previous record was seeing four of them at once,  when a big bug hatch was on, over by the Tennis Courts.  This time,  I again just laid down and watched the show above, where there were at least six  Hoary Bats, with  17"  wingspans, flying erratically all over the place, and through and above the trees, and in and out of that large opening.
     First, here is a few shots of three of the large,  "dark" Swallowtails that we have here.    We also have yellow Swallowtails.   These Swallowtails are large and brightly colored in yellows and blacks with "tails" on the hindwings.

Pic #1     BLACK SWALLOWTAIL LOWER
Pic #2     BLACK SWALLOWTAIL UPPER
Pic #3     PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAIL FEMALE
Pic #4     PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAIL MALE
Pic #5     SPICEBUSH SWALLOWTAIL  LOWER SIDE
Pic #6     SPICEBUSH SWALLOWTAIL  UPPER SIDE

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

charlieman
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »

Lastwoodsman

On the way into the big city to collect my rocking chair money, I was telling my daughter about how butterflies in general ans some of your photos in particular make me want to paint them in water colors. she really encouraged me to do so, and so now that I'm officially "sucking from the government tit" I think I may just start. Spicebush Swallow Tail looks especially challenging!

Black is especially hard to  render, as it looks largely out of place in nature. IIRC an old art teacher once explained that there is no such color, so has to be represented with various aproximations, etc. It's going to need some experimentation, in any event. I may have to  start with something yellow...
thanks... I think!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »

BUTTERFLIES

Hi charlieman.    Butterflies and moths are very addicting.  I must admit to spending  a two hour walk (much of the time sitting and observing),  with the dog, to our butterly meadows, each day in the evening and twilight, now.   And equally fascinating is learning the wildflower plants they are feeding on.    The "dark" Swallowtails and the "yellow" Swallowtails are mostly gone now, but the Monarchs and the Whites and Sulfurs and Brush-footed and Nymphs and Skippers and Fritillaries, etc. are flying around and feeding and generally having a good time,  and the meadows are into full bloom (lots of flower species have already flowered and dropped their flowers).    This is fast becoming our favorite haunt, with the little patch of woods along side it.
     Black (and its grey shades), is hard to render - it is difficult to get the correct tint, tone, or shade,  and it all depends on the light.    I still have one Bluebird Ornithopter kit left to build,  and I am thinking of a real butterfly or moth color scheme.   Here are some pics of the large "yellow" (with black of course) swallowtails  -  I saw a lot of them earlier too.   The Eastern Tiger  Swallowtail female is actually dark ...

Pic #1     CANADIAN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL  JPG
Pic #2     EASTERN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL  3
Pic #3     EASTERN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL FEMALE BUTTERFLY
Pic #4     EASTERN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL  MALE UNDERSIDE
Pic #5     GIANT SWALLOWTAIL
Pic #6     SHORT TAILED SWALLOWTAIL

Charlieman, please feel free to post a pic of your butterfly painting here -  they do make lovely color schemes.   

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Here is a good link to the Massachussetts Butterfly club  -  great side by side butterfly comparison viewing too ...

https://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/frames-1species.asp?sp=Papilio-polyxenes

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »

BUTTERFLIES

Trapper and I went for a walk in the midday heat,  80 deg F (feels like 90 deg F),  to the small butterfly meadows and strips.   There was about 60 to 80  Monarchs, feeding mostly, and flying around, and I did not even check out the whole meadows.  The white asters and goldenrod are in full swing along with many other flowers, some waning away, others not in bloom yet.   In one pic I could get about 5 Monarchs -  not  the 15  max in one pic like last year, ... yet ...  Last year there must have been 500 Monarchs.  There is still more to come now,  I am sure of it.    
     Here is a couple of pics of the meadows, and a great pic, and positive ID, on a butterfly I have only read about!!   The leaf-like, "American Snout",  a 'brush-footed' butterfly,  with clipped rectangular wingtips,  just like a clipped-wing Taylorcraft airplane.   They get their names from the elongated labial palps, that form a "snout" on the front of the head.   Their flight style, which includes bouncing and fluttering, as well as gliding, is distinctive.   They blacken the skies in South Texas.

Pic #1     3004     Snout on the trail.
Pic #2     Snout closeup.
Pic #3     American Snout Butterfly
Pic #4     American Snout 3
Pic #5     2998      Monarchs feeding on Asters.
Pic #6     3010      There are about four Monarchs in this pic.

'Clouds of American Snout Butterflies'  one minute video here https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=American+Snout+Butterfly&&view=detail&mid=409AACC1C58477FB0734409AACC1C58477FB0734&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 01:53:07 PM »

BUTTERFLY FLIGHT             on  Wed Sept 4 2019
Post 1 of 3

A big Flight of Monarchs has  landed !!

As I alluded to in Reply #41 above,  on Monday Sept 2 2019,   a big glorious flight of Monarchs did afterwards, come down into these meadows.  Two days later, on Wednesday Sept 4 2019,  Trapper and I went back in there in the heat of the day,  and there was at least two hundred estimated Monarchs feeding on all of the ripe white Aster flowers.  And I did not even walk all the meadow strips.   I took lots of pics - here are the best ones.

Pic #1     3037     Butterfly corner.
Pic #2     3041     Expand this pic and see how they blend in.   The wind is blowing left to right, wavering the flowers back and forth, but they just cling on and keep feeding ...
Pic #3     3044     There was more than 4 but I scared them off the flowers.
Pic #4     3045     I count 5 in this pic.
Pic #5     3046     Another nice pic.
Pic #6     3047     5 in this pic.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »

BUTTERFLY FLIGHT                on Wed Sept 4 2019
Post 2 of 3
cont from prev reply

You cannot really tell how many there are, because their wings are up and closed, and they mix in with the flowers.    I was able to get really close without them spooking (camo shirt, pants, and hat),  and I did once wade through one big patch of  5-6 foot plants,  just to see what I could scare up from their feeding.  In that one spot I must have had about 30 Monarchs flying above the white flower tops - quite a spectacle.

Pic #1     3048     See how close I was able to get to them?
Pic #2     3049     About 6 here.
Pic 33     3050     7 here.
Pic #4     3051     Nice little "flutter" of about 6.
Pic #5     3052     Six Monarchs in full display.
Pic #6     3053     About 4 here - one in the air.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »

BUTTERFLY FLIGHT                   on  Wed Sept 4 2019
Post 3 of 3
cont from prev reply

After I get this posted, we will try to get back in there today, and see if any more Monarch butterfly Flights came down on their migration.   The ones there now are probably still going to be there -  we will see ...

Pic #1     3054     The dark undersides of the wings.
Pic #2     3055     Goldenrod flowers in the background.
Pic 33     3057     Monarch feeding on a purple "Fireweed" flower.
Pic #4     3060     This strip goes all the way back - I never walked it - thick and full of tall plants.
Pic #5     3062     My attempt to get a pic of some of them in the air -  lots are out of the picture ...
Pic #6     3063     Another closeup.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

The end of Butterfly Flight on Wed Sept 4 2019

Sorry, some of the pics are not expanding ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 03:58:02 AM »

THE MONARCH FLIGHT IS GONE    

Well,  I have some bad news.    Just like that big flight of 500 Monarchs last year,  that fed for 5 straight days, then disappeared   Sad  all of a sudden,  the small flight now has disappeared.   I was in there last night Sunday Sept 8 2019 at 6:00 PM and I only saw 2 Monarchs.   And the day before that,  on Saturday Sept 11 2019 at sundown,  I only saw one Monarch!!   Huh 
     So, ... , they must be on their  way on their migration South.   There are still a lot of the flowers on the white Asters that have not bloomed yet, and a heat wave coming for 4 days Tues to Fri Sept 9 to 14, 2019, with the avg high of 85 deg F,  and an average real feel of  100 deg F.   Shocked Tongue
     I am hoping that there are still more flights to come down to feed on those white Asters, the "Fragrant Euporium", and yes they are extremely fragrant, hence the name -  I smelled them ...
     Sorry, no pics for now, but I will get some more if I can.  Thanks for watching.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2020, 09:56:45 PM »

PRAYING MANTIS FLIGHT

Well,  ...  this is one of the weirdest contraptions that I have ever seen flying.   They flutter-fly quite fast and go quite far, and then they go down really fast,  just like their grasshopper cousins.   I  had never seen a Praying Mantis  in flight before, let alone land in grass,  and all perfectly lit from the sun!    I took a line on where it landed (like in golf),  and found it!   It scared up again,  and I saw a whole flight and landing again.    It was just satisfied to land and sit in the long grass blades with one wing (wing cover? - it looks like a blade of grass) still out,  that was held sticking out,  from folding back into the body,  by a couple of grass blades.     I have seen a lot of Praying Manitisses everywhere when I was a kid (Carolinian Forest and Field ecosystem),  but not two flights like that one flew.

Pic #1     6610     Mantis in foreground on grass in Jackson Park.
Pic #2     6612     Closer.
Pic #3     6609     Closeup.
Pic #4     6611     That blade of grass sticking off to the left of the Mantis is not a blade of grass.
Pic #5     MANTIS IN FLOWER GARDEN
Pic #6     PRAYING MANTIS FLYING snipped pic from a video.
Praying Mantis flying snip pic from video (I cant find any good videos  of a flight)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »

Saw this little guy flying in my front yard, and thought of this thread.

-Dave

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2020, 07:19:42 AM »

MONDAY SEPT 21 2020

I have some bad news from my Butterfly meadows.   The wildflowers are in FULL BLOOM and  NO BUTTERFLIES.   I mean none.  We have been going for the last few days now,  and I was suspecting that the smoke from the wild fires on the West Coast of North America was killing them.    And there are hardly any birds at all too, now.   And today I found this video clip on the news.     A catastrophic killing die-off of millions of songbirds.

Hundreds of thousands of migratory birds have been found dead in New Mexico - of course we have had a lot of smoke here too.

here    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/us/new-mexico-birds-died-migration-trnd/index.html

Pic #1     NEW MEXICO DEAD SONGBIRDS
Pic #2     NEW MEXICO DEAD SONGBIRDS   2
Pic #3     WILDFIRE SMOKE

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »

Sad news Richard. It's easy to forget or overlook the extent that wildlife suffers in disasters like the current fires.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: