Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 12:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For those of you with a scale interest-or simply an aviation interest  (Read 436 times)
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2021, 01:20:35 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmZ9X9Aplk

I should mention in passing that what you view from 35 mins on in the video-I can see just about any fine weekend when flying FF at my local gaff.....Hood Aerodrome is located on the southern edge of Masterton-and our FF field (and normal NZ Nats site) is about 8km/5miles south of Hood. We frequently see anything up to half a dozen of these aircraft flying in the vicinity if we're out on a nice day.  I should also make the point that our FF site is an officially logged 'model aviation flying site' with Civ aviation NZ-and the full size stuff keeps a respectable safe distance in terms of air space separation.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

PS As of this week Peter Jackson is now #4 on the NZ rich list....nice to see him spending some of his fortune on things that give pleasure to a whole lot of  other people...and not just moviegoers
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 04:44:39 AM »

That was worth watching.  Ta.
RalphS
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 06:44:00 AM »

Excellent film - as you would expect from Peter Jackson.  He has got a lot of "stuff".  Thanks ffkiwi.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 07:09:54 AM »

Incredible. I had perforce to watch it with no sound so perhaps it is explained how they managed to assemble so many people with such necessary skills in one place to produce so many aeroplanes to that standard.
Is business back to normal after the 'disruption'?
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 07:42:55 AM »

Just visited the new? National Air and Space museum at Dulles airport outside of Washington DC. A first class operation. Restoration area in full view. Kiosk to give history of the airplanes they are restoring. My wife enjoyed the "face time" areas that she could talk to a historian about a particular airplane ...in her case her uncle flew C-47.s over the hump in WW 2. The gentlemen behind the screen was awesome. Sharp as a tack and couldn't wait to tell her about her uncle's plane.
A great stop. Would highly recommend it.
Denny
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 09:41:02 AM »

Hmmm.. not watched in full yet - will do that on a larger screen.  Strangely I was thinking about him a few days ago because I had occasion to recall he was going to make a new version of the Dam Busters and a lot of fuss was being made over what to call Gibson’s black dog (of course) whose grave is at Scampton.

Stephan Fry was apparently to write the script.  He was seen locally now and again but probably because of the lockdown has not been around.  Interestingly the adj. of 617 at the time lived not far away (died a fewyears ago) and he had custody of the fine animal when Gibson was busy and apparently the dog was an absolute lush due to the aircrews plying him with ale! 

I have a couple of the Wing nut kits - they are masterpieces and so have not opened them!

Thank you for posting the film.
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »

Thought I'd spotted something amiss in a terminal cable end cable  on the F.E. (opening shots), but  I was wrong. Appears to show a period proper  5 tuck splice.  I'd like to know more about application of the copper wrapping.   

Like Jackson himself,  I'd bet a lot of his aircraft (movie people) crew were or are still modelers. Wonder how many of them fly, as well? 

Good vid!   
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »

What a great little film; thanks for posting it ffkiwi.

I need a “very green with envy” emoji if you can see those flying near you. All I ever see here is airliners heading for Manchester Embarrassed
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »

Mindblowing! Thanks for sharing this. I'll forward it to my dad and any other aviation nuts I know. It's strange how growing up we all spent years getting excited about the few WW1 restorations and occasional replicas that came along. Now, suddenly, there is this amazing place producing dozens in glorious perfection. What a legacy for Peter Jackson. I'd say his hobby is making the Tolkein  films- these aeroplanes are his real life's work!
Bill- you need to watch it again with the sound. It seems a lot of the expertise came with him from the film industry, and a few others such as the chap covering that Snipe who's still using the skills and actual tools passed down from grandad who was the saddler at Buckingham Palace 100 years ago!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »

That was a great watch ... thanks for posting  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »

Just watched that too. Thanks very much for posting that ... I want to go to New Zealand now and visit the museum. Fantastic stuff
WayneB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 02:15:30 PM »

Very cool, thanks for the link.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 05:06:14 PM »

Just watched that too. Thanks very much for posting that ... I want to go to New Zealand now and visit the museum. Fantastic stuff

There's two key locations...the museum-which is at Omaka, in the top of the south island, not far from the town of Blenheim, and the active flying collection-which is located at Hood aerodrome, on the southern outskirts of the town of Masterton, in the Wairarapa region of the north island (about 1-1/2 hours by road from Wellington).....i am not sure-and the documentary didn't cover this aspect-whether there is any rotation of aircraft between Hood and Omaka.   Omaka itself hosts a great airshow every other year at Easter  (covid withstanding) and Hood also hosts the Wings over Wairarapa airshow annually in Feb.

A third location of interest would be 'The Vintage Aviator' itself-but I am unware of any public visitation options as regards that fa cility.

For those of you with a very british focus-we have our very own fully licensed de Havilland restoration/rebuild facility (no connection at all to Peter Jackson) at Mandeville in the far south of the south island:  https://www.croydonaviation.co.nz/       (also worth a visit.....)

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »

I have had the privilage of a visit to the workshop in Rongatai and was able to see the remarkable mix of engineering available to the staff. Not only the traditional skilles and tools but CAD and 3D printing and the very empathetic approach to the restoration. As the time the Albatros was the current major peoject and a number of RAF 1 engines had just been completed. Also there was a lot of work for film sets that included WW! vehicles made from an eclectic mix of components. It was just a magic tour. The unique NZCAA Part 19 approval allows the revese engineering of parts for aircraft use. Theis get around the difficulty of finding approved data for manufacture of parts. That said they ware very careful in establishing the composition of materail used and have had a number of surprizes in the process..
Ricky 
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »

We tried the CNC billet rout when we couldn't find enough serviceable original rocker covers for our Wright J-5. Better and stronger than original cast aluminum type, but FAA decreed  "NO!"

Sounds like NZ  officialdom might have a generally more reasonable approach to towards builders of "reconstructed" aircraft.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 05:43:44 AM »

There's a Peter Jackson film on tonight a quasi documentary 'They shall not grow old' about WW1. BBC 4 at 9.00 pm.

Peter
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 06:36:05 AM »

There's a Peter Jackson film on tonight a quasi documentary 'They shall not grow old' about WW1. BBC 4 at 9.00 pm.
Peter
Very much worth watching if you’ve not seen it, especially today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: