Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 17, 2020, 07:55:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 78   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 101057 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »

I did some of this .........

Any guesses as to what it is. No clues.

Looks kinda like a Keil Kraft kit?

Well it was originally a kit but pre war so doubt one around now.

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »

downloaded and printed up a Deathtrap Squadron Gee Bee Sportster D plan... 16" span. 
 Printed it,  pieced it together, studied it.
Referenced it against 3 views and 3 other plans.
Then threw it into the waste paper basket  ... grrr.
 Surprises me that some go to the trouble of printing / dispersing plans so full of gross outline errors.
For NO apparent reason beyond sloth in prior research. 
Now proceeding by working from 3 views... which also vary,  but at least manageably so.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »

I started looking for my next build!!

After encouraging test glides of the Hemiptere I can't do any thing flightwise outdoors, (or indoors either) for the next several days due to either wind, rain, or both, so might as well start building something!

What am I looking for?
1. Something unusual, or at least something that hasn't already been modeled a gazillion times.
2. Something scale.
3. Something with one wing. ( Not ready for the intricacies of 2 or more wings. (The Hemiptere doesn't count because the wings were joined/mounted with struts! )  Cheesy Cheesy
4. Wingspan somewhere between 18-30"

Spent a few hours the last couple of days wandering through our plan gallery, Outerzone, and Areofred but so far nothing has jumped out and yelled "Pick Me!, Pick Me!"

Will just have to keep looking.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »

Quote from: Dan Snow
I started looking for my next build!!

What am I looking for?
1. Something unusual, or at least something that hasn't already been modeled a gazillion times.
2. Something scale.
3. Something with one wing. ( Not ready for the intricacies of 2 or more wings. (The Hemiptere doesn't count because the wings were joined/mounted with struts! )  Cheesy Cheesy
4. Wingspan somewhere between 18-30"
Airspeed Tern?  It has been modelled, but it's not all that common.  If you can find a plan for one at the upper end of your wingspan requirement then I should think it'd make a good bungee launch subject.  If you do find a plan for one with a span of around about 30"-35" I'd also be interested.

Lurk.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »

Airspeed Tern? 

A nice looking glider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyrjAm52Io
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »

OOPS! shoulda added

6. Must be Rubber Powered FF

But it is a nice looking glider!!

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Peter Hess
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

Check out the Comper Swift!

Peter Hess
Canton, CT

"I never dreamed that, with my two hands, I could reach the sky."
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: February 09, 2019, 02:13:07 PM »

At the 5th Jan meeting at Bushfield Peterborough, the peanut sized Pietenpol was looking a bit battered.
I managed to get it back together for today's meeting at Bushfield.
I managed to get it flying better than previously, but I do think that it's carrying a little too much weight with the CO2 version.
I did have to add tail weight so a bit of re-organisation might help. Nice to see it in the air again though (knocking on 14 years old).
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: February 09, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »

Russ,
        Good to see you are getting sorted as it looked promising on the 5 Jan. Just a thought could you move the tank a little forward to give a slight movement forward of the CG and when full it would move forward even more to control any nose up at the power burst.
       Ricky
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: February 11, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »

Grin yesterday i went flying and found out what mr mulligan, the pt 20 needed to fly.  then after i left the gym i dumped my box accidentally, and now i got to figure out whether to repair or rebuild. ouch Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
a few seconds ago my first AMAZON book order THE EARLY JETS arrived at my box so i'll check that out next.

JIM Grin
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:02 PM »

Covered the cowl and noseblock on the Wicko using the same methodology I used on the T-28.  Pleased with how it turned out.

Mike
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: February 12, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »

This past Summer there was discussion regarding expanding the Sundog P-30 design into a series to include other WWII fighters that participated in that momentous campaign. I got interested myself, and expressed some mild interest in figuring out whether I had the commitment to take on such a project.

But Ma Nature intervened.

My Wife of 48 years endured a fall in a scorching hot parking lot in Phoenix AZ on a 114 degree day and suffered serious burns from the hot asphalt, going an extended time when she was neither able to rise, nor able to get help, resulting in second degree burns that required five skin grafts. Seven months and about $100,000+ worth of excellent care later, she is fully recovered.

For my own part, four EMT visits for oxygen and two hospitalizations for CHF, COPD, and Bronchial Spasms due to extended inhalation of sub-freezing air derailed any thoughts of embarking on the above project until last week; when I simply said, "enough, I need to get on with my life again".

Meanwhile, the Veterans' Administration is working me into a sequence of evaluations, rehabs, and potential long-term therapies to remedy my extraordinary events.

Following the subject discussion in the interim, I took note that some interest exists to move the rear motor peg forward by one bay, to improve balance. It works, but seems a compromise to me. I would rather move the wing aft by about 1/2 bay, and retain the original motor peg position. I think it would better help with motor duration.

Some wing structure revision has also been experimented, and looks great. I want to take it one/some (or so) further, by redrawing the wing to incorporate a shallow undercamber in the aft half of the airfoil, and restructuring the wing construction to make the stressing more geodesic.

If this all works, the same basic design features will be incorporated in additional WWII European Theater aircraft models of a similar P-30 eligible semi-scale nature, and hopefully posted here in the design gallery. Since the BoB commemoration is past, it will no longer limit design choices. Designs should be limited to single engine fighter interceptor, ground attack, and conventional single pilot combat aircraft, which saw combat, and were fielded by the Allied and Axis Powers in Europe.

Suggestions for appropriate aircraft designs are hereby solicited.

Work will begin with building a Sundog P-30 exactly as drawn in the Gallery, to get the whole original concept under my belt, and well understood from a for-real standpoint. Modifications will then be constructed and tested using an 18" (60% span size) WS format. Considerable liberties will probably be tried to reduce weight, better control balance, and perhaps enhance aerodynamic performance. Laminated outlines incorporating cracked rib and turbulator spars will likely accompany the modifications.

Being of moderately sound mind and body, and the river don't rise, I'm hoping I can get this off the ground and into reality.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »

Quote from: MKelly
Covered the cowl and noseblock on the Wicko...  Pleased with how it turned out.
And so you should be; dead smart.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: February 12, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »

Absolutely stunning Mr Kelly, totally seamless!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: February 12, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »

If you keep that standard of tissue covering up - you could start to threaten the sales of air brushes Smiley Amazing.

I hope the train is back on the rails Greg. Your wife's incident sounds horrifying. I hope you have both fully recovered.

John
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »

Thank you, our situations and outlooks are greatly improved.

Right now, the design work is gaining priority.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:31 AM »

Grin EARLY JETS  great read, very easy to get thru and lots of pics.  a nice reference book.

started dime scale p40.

srtill deciding on how to tackle busted planes in box.  see ealier post.

jim Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »

Bought a few, well a handful, oh alright, if you must know, 300 bamboo skewers. They're about 1/8" dia x 12" long and were only 70p for a packet of 100.  I have to admit I very nearly bought 5 packets.  Home Bargains for UK readers who may be interested in stocking up.
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »

Home Bargains for UK readers who may be interested in stocking up.

Why would we stock up when we can cadge a few from you ?!?!?!!!  Grin Grin Grin You've clearly got more than you will ever need !!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: February 13, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »

Home Bargains for UK readers who may be interested in stocking up.

Why would we stock up when we can cadge a few from you ?!?!?!!!  Grin Grin Grin You've clearly got more than you will ever need !!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes
Unless you DO need 300 bamboo skewers, in which case I'm slightly worried.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: February 14, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »

Further progress of the model depicted in 1271 above.

As no one knew what it was  I will tell you.  It is a half size version the "Hercules Airliner" - "airliner" being a gross misdescription. I think you will agree it is very Bowdenesque which really is the charm of the thing.  It was designed and kitted in 1934 by the Model Shop Newcastle (NE England and Geordie Country).

It came to my notice from a chum who has built a full size version- 48" span!  Apparently it flew more or less straight off the board.  And has not required any trimming to speak of.  I share the view it was probably ahead of it's time. I believe no plan could be found but a model built pre war came to light and the current plan drawn up from that.  It was all in Aeromodeller by Alex Imrie.  October 1995.

It works with the rear peg almost in the original position - just an inch or so forward bucking the current tend.  Originally the "peg" was a hook attached to the stern post!! Using the full length of the fuselage.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: February 14, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »

David,
         It does have a very long nose! That said there is a certain charm that models of that era had. At 24" the half size would be a great small field model.
         Ricky
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: February 15, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »

Thank you Ricky. Yes - perhaps Pinocchio would have been a better name?  Or Nosey? Smiley. Presently it is nose heavy but predictable perhaps.  I think it will even out a bit when covered and motored.  We shall see but one other builder said his (F/S) version was a little nose heavy. My other chum who is pretty good said his was on the button.  I am hoping Bushfield might work as well.  But locally - a few minutes walk from the house is quite practical too.  Might mean moving a few cows though.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: February 16, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

Grin picking away at my dime p40 and reading THE FLYING TIGERS book.

wife is away in floridad while i suffer in the cold north east. how will i survive, how will i survive?
hmm
BACON,
BUILDING EVERY DAY,
COOKING FAVORITE TREATS ,
MOVIES OF MY CHOICE. 
i think i'll live

jim Grin

ps the streets are a skating rink after last nite's rain

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: February 16, 2019, 02:42:30 PM »

Made a little bit more progress on my Mooney no-cal project.  Finished the fuselage outline, still needs sanding/shaping.  Checked fit of everything in close formation...
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 78   Go Up
Print
Jump to: