Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 09:00:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 99369 times)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1350 on: March 01, 2019, 03:19:06 AM »

Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1351 on: March 01, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »

Yep could work .... and I could bring a friend
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1352 on: March 01, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »

Rather more basically, here is the late great glider legend Derek Piggott setting off for a spot of trimming in 1942. Note the trees painted with white stripes to mark the edge of the road in the blackout. Derek was also a Croydon and DMAC member and on the first post-War Wakefield team at Akron in 1948.

His obituary here is worth a read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Piggott
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1353 on: March 02, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »

Jon,
       Good to hear you are going to purservere with the CO2. The Sodastream cylinder is safer as sparklet bulbs can have small flakes of iron oxide in them that do not do the motor any good at all. The Comper filler valve exits undeneath the fuselage so I have to hold the model nose up as the tank is inclined at 45 degrees and is behind the motor, if I were to do it again I would make it more upright.

Ricky

Hurrah!  This morning I managed to rescue the situation!   Cheesy

Removed the entire cylinder and the piston to discover that there were nicks in both the piston-head and cylinder-head o-rings and also some aluminium debris around the top of the piston!  So cleaned everything and replaced both o-rings.  Also etched a mark at TDC on the flange behind the prop, so I'll always know to keep the prop-shaft away from this point when filling.

Not happy with the inadequate pressure of a gas charge (the G-43BB actually has a smaller tank than the G-28, although the benefit is that this can now usefully sit upright directly behind the firewall).  So taking care with the filling angle to ensure no liquid enters the cylinder, found that a 2-3 second liquid charge (up to 1.0g) now easily gives a minute's run at the desired throttle!  Very roughly the first 10 seconds is the burst (holding the model), the next 10 secs the take-off and climb, the middle 20 seconds  the cruise-phase, finally bleeding away into the decent and landing.

See last file in this album (the short, underpowered Nijmegen flight was with the smaller engine):  G-43BB static 70sec run

Achieved this with sparklets, as the charger is easier to handle than a mahoosive soda-stream with this Peanut model, and never had problems with using them previously with the Camel.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:34:48 AM by Jack Plane » Logged
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1354 on: March 03, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »

Today I made a couple of fans for ducted fan units. The first was a complete flop, five blades with shallow pitch and little twist, and so to try the other extreme I made the next one with very high pitch and lots of twist, but with three blades to save a bit of time. The hubs take 15 or 20 minutes to produce so a new hub can be made to suit each blade pitch and/or blade number. The blades, of which I made seven, are aluminium so can be broken out of a hub and be retwisted as desired and set in a new hub at any pitch.

Whereas the five-blader could only make a strip of tissue paper flap feebly, the three-blader blows bits of balsa and paper off the work table, so is going in the right direction, but what to try next I haven't decided. The shroud or duct should really have an aerofoil section lip to develop more low pressure at the front than the fan alone does, but I haven't thought of a light or simple way to make such a refinement. Static tests can be - or are - very misleading, so I think I'll turn out a really basic glider to act as an aerial testbed for various fans.

Stephen. P.S. this is a pusher arrangement - fan spins clockwise as looked at in pic
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1355 on: March 03, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »

Took advantage of my clean work area to patch up and scan some early 1930s plans I purchased in a cigar box off ebay in January - assorted simple scale plans from Megow, GHQ, UMC, Aircraft Models Co of America.  Some of them were pretty ratty, with slices, tears, glue scars and remnants of prior construction adhered here and there, but several were plans I hadn't seen before and I think I've cleaned them up enough to be useable.  Thanks to Ratz they are available in the plan gallery.  I've got a few more to do but need to take a break...too much time in front of the computer.

Cheers,

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1356 on: March 03, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »

Thanks for that Mike - you are a real dynamo! So this is what you do when you re not building Smiley

John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1357 on: March 03, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »

Interesting experiments Stephen. Lots of scope for experiment there. Flow straighteners, wider chords, intake lips (that you have mentioned - depron?. This will keep you busy when you are not on the continuous trail of the lightweight monocoque construction solution.

Happy experimenting.
John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1358 on: March 04, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin tested my dimer p40 in the gym.  it still needs fiddly bits and the wings need to be adjusted at the tips but overall flew pretty good. pics when it is done will do Chinese markings.

jim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1359 on: March 06, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »

I'm  interested to watch your progress with your ducted fan units Stephen.  I was just searching in my shed for something and came across a fan unit that I made nearly 25 years ago, I sent to the U.S, for "kits" that were advertised in ,I think, Model Builder. They comprised an ST2 electric motor a foam cone for the rear and several pages of instructions. Basically they used a paper tube with laminated balsa rings for strength The fan blades were cut from a plastic container fixed to a balsa hub, they also had 4 curved flow straighteners.  I built 2 of these 2" diameter units and fitted them to a 30" A10. It struggled, the motors were supposed to use 3 Ni-Cads so I ended up with FIVE, then the blades shed themselves so I pinned them to the hub and managed to get a couple of flights of over about a minute. It was very marginal and needed ideal conditions and I eventually broke it.   Just though you might be interested at least it's worth a laugh, in the photo you will notice one of the blades have broken at the hub.

Dave
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1360 on: March 06, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »

Got in some low-power trimming on the Wicko before the wind came up this morning.  Looks promising...video at: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcu44vkCmoY

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1361 on: March 06, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »

Very good - I do like your stabiliser incidence adjustment dodge!

Presume you're trimming for a right-hand circuit?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1362 on: March 07, 2019, 02:12:16 AM »

Mike,
        That is a lovely model and it wants to fly. Looking at the video just after launch it appears to roll left as it is trying to circle right due to the right thrust giving the impression it is fighting the trim. I had a similar situation with a Hacker Piper Cub when I tried to trim it for a left hand circuit where the roll was opposite to the turn. Granted it is CO2 power. I get a straight take off and a climb that starts going right. If I tried to turn to the left it did the opposite to what your model does. with the right wing rollong right and the fuselage yawed to the left. It might want to fly right.
Hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs!
Ricky
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1363 on: March 07, 2019, 04:32:19 AM »

Lovely clean build, blue skies  -  what more can you want?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1364 on: March 07, 2019, 05:03:46 AM »

Lovely clean build, blue skies  -  what more can you want?

Err...?  Less wind?   Wink
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: March 07, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »

What they said ⇑ Mike,  and a lovely perpeller too!

That's fascinating Dave. Over one minute is impressive. I like the paper tube idea - I've been wrapping carbon tow round a paint bottle and wetting-out with CA - quick, but the bottle isn't a perfect cylinder which leads to a bigger than desired gap between blades and shroud. As you see from the attached pix, what I'm working on is very much lighter duty than yours. The Sorta Sukhoi is the flying surfaces of the chuck-glider I made, fixed to a balsa tube. Unfortunately the airframe has come out much heavier than I'd estimated. Had the model been the 20g AUW I was pitching for, it might have flown but it's 24g and a couple of low-powered chucks suggest it won't get much past a powered glide. I'll be trying different fan configurations but there's only so much oomph these little motors can provide when fed from a 2.7v capacitor. So I'm still undecided as to whether to embark on a scale Su-7 project. The good news is that I just flew the model in a stiff swirling breeze and it's very stable despite anhedral. Also the short span seems able to cope with the torque from the powerplant. The forecast says wind → → → → wind, so I don't know when I'll get conclusive results.

Stephen.
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: March 07, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words - despite the wind it is an encouraging start to trimming.

Looking at the video just after launch it appears to roll left as it is trying to circle right due to the right thrust giving the impression it is fighting the trim.

Ricky, it was hard to tell whether the model was fighting the trim or fighting the wind.  I'm setting it up to fly right-right - on the first flight it looked like that was going to happen.  I think on the later flights the wind was pushing up the right wing - the model looks like it is sideslipping.  I've seen similar behavior from the WACO after I trimmed it for right-right.  As Jack Plane said, I need less wind!

Mike
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: March 07, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »

Hi Stephen, I think this little project is worth its own thread?  Smiley

... the bottle isn't a perfect cylinder which leads to a bigger than desired gap between blades and shroud.

This is one of the keys to efficiency with EDF.

I'll be trying different fan configurations but there's only so much oomph these little motors can provide when fed from a 2.7v capacitor.

I think this is potentially an issue. You want high voltage and high KV for lots of revs. You might want to try a higher voltage capacitor (weight penalty) but for EDF I think you'd be better looking at 1S lipo and a Peterborough timer. There are small set ups that would give you much more thrust at a lighter weight. I know fabrication of the parts is something you enjoy but I would consider a 32mm 4 blade 'Tiny Whoop' prop on a 6mm motor. Just over 2 grams weight and giving 10-12g static thrust.

Love the Wicko Mike!!!

Jon
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #1368 on: March 07, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »

Went JETCAT flying yesterday morning. Sure was fun watching Mike fly the new Wicko too.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1369 on: March 07, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »

Beautiful model Mike. I think you may have a duration challenger for your Waco SRE.

Nifty work there Stephen - very impressive.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: March 09, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

Grin p40 decaled and completed. i chose AVG colours because i have recently bought a book on them
enjoy. flying it tomorrow

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: March 09, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »

Today was the last of the Peterborough Model Flying Club's indoor meetings of winter 2019 at Bushfield. As it was also the last Bushfield before the BMFA Indoor Nats and it has the same size flying area as Wolverhampton it was well attended.

My own KK Piper Super Cruiser seems to have survived  6 months in a plastic box and needed a only a few tweeks to get it back to its 'sort of ok' flying trim.

It was good to see so many Hippocketeers...is that the right word ? and catch up after the winter

Pete's PT3 made some impressive flights as did Mike's Redwing. Graham's Heinkel? was flying beautifully as well but I managed to miss every flight with camera  Undecided

There's a video here of the some of the flights I did manage to catch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY9v6HX6iC4

Pic 1 - Pete winds his PT3

Pic 2  - Consolidated PT3

Pic 3 - Jack Plane's Bristol scout ..minus cowling

Pic 4 ...sorry which club is organising this event ?

Pic 5.   dummy Armstrong Siddley Gennet on Mike's Redwing

Pic 6 - FreeFlightModeller's Peanut scale Air Camper

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:03:57 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: March 09, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »

Enjoyed the session and meeting up with everybody  Smiley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: March 09, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

Great compilation Chris - encapsulated the session perfectly, and super to see footage of Pete's latest doing some very good aviation indeed.

Much frustration at my end as simply couldn't get the Gasparin 43BB to perform at all properly so - despite the four hour round trim - the Scout didn't get to fly!  Consolation was that, when I announced my intention to just bite the bullet and electrify the old girl in time for the forthcoming Nats, Graham immediately and incredibly kindly specced exactly what kit I needed and how to fit it.   Smiley

Good also to see so many of the usual suspects!  Grin
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: March 09, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

I'm wondering what I'm going to build first with my new Kimball Razor Plane

https://i.imgur.com/SLio0gz.jpg
What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

They fly better when you smile!