Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 05:14:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98237 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: March 18, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »

Mike I am with Richard on all the accolades! But I got a real laugh at your feeble attempt to stop that bus!

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »

Mike I am with Richard on all the accolades! But I got a real laugh at your feeble attempt to stop that bus!

What, you have no faith in the power of the hand?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »

Well I would have at least expected you to stand in front of it Mike  Cheesy

Yes it is too good a flyer for that field - if the thermal was a little stronger it would have disappeared! It looks like this model now wears the crown for king of the flyers in your model kingdom. Magnificent flying model Mike.

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »

What, you have no faith in the power of the hand?

HA HA HA everyone on the bus was waving back!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The Threadkiller!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: March 18, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »

Absolutely stunning.  Yes, I was worried as well then relieved! Great work.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: March 19, 2019, 02:09:22 AM »

Wow.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: March 19, 2019, 04:35:11 AM »

The amble becoming a slightly stiffer walk before breaking into a full-blown run...  look left, look right... the bus heading towards the cross-roads, the bus turning... the horror, the horror...  the passengers responding to the nutter with their own smile-and-wave-boys, smile-and-wave..

Soon to be a major motion-picture release...  Grin

Great model by the way!
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: March 19, 2019, 11:07:04 PM »

The Wicko looks and flies great!  Nice job!

You should put one of these signs along your flying field boundary...

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: March 19, 2019, 11:11:14 PM »

Got a little bit of covering done on my Mooney M20C no-cal. 

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: March 24, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »

Spent a very enjoyable morning flying DLG's at Ivinghoe Beacon with Monz.

I had my Blaster 3, Monz a CX5

One of those sessions where I learnt a lot. The performance of the new top end DLG's is certainly a step up from my Blaster 3. The launch heights Monz could achieve was a bit of an eye opener too.

Launch settings refined a bit more thanks to Monz's help and model trimmed with both 30g and 60g ballast, actually trimming seemed to involve just screwing the ballast to the model :-).

The wind was kind to us with W swinging NW so almost ideal for the best slope. The most remarkable thing was flying in the increasing wind up to about 15mph with 60g of ballast and how smooth the Blaster remained, very impressive. Monz's CX5 flew unballasted at 230g and penetrated better and has a bigger speed range, interesting to compare the difference

Great fun

Chris
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #1410 on: March 24, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »

Yes, was great fun! Thanks for the invite Chris. I hadn't sloped in years.

The Blaster actually did very well in the conditions and I was surprised at how well the CX5 handled too at 220g. I wasn't launching at full power and it was straight into the lift which did help the launch heights. The thermals were plentiful, albeit in small bubbles being blown through quickly, was so much fun circling with the Buzzards.

Jon, you missed a cracker of a day! The Middle Phase would have been up and away too.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1411 on: March 24, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »

I know, not only I'm such a loser but I evidently missed out on some great company as well!!!  Grin

Did however have some high-octane fun sloping the Go Mini on White Horse Hill before Sunday lunch at the local gastro-pub.  Wind direction was ideal for the NW-facing bowl although a little flukey - light with big gusts - but the thin wing, home-made ballast, and ability to alter camber made light work of the challenge.

Spent this afternoon soldering the Voodoo 15 motor to the Zombie flight-profiler and micro-connectors to the micro-charger and the 1S 130mAh LiPo, then completing the tray installation in my Peanut Bristol Scout (originally converted from rubber to CO2, now converted again!).  The very light weather forecast for later this week should be ideal for outdoor trims... I hope!  Kiss  Kiss weather gods...
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: March 24, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »

After doing a bit more on my next open rubber entry, i went over to the dark side and put this together......... Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1413 on: March 24, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »

Good job its PILOT FRIENDLYGrin
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: March 29, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »

Finally got the Hemiptere and the Doodlebug out in the yard for some test glides.

Very happy with the Hemiptere, not so much with the Doodlebug. With about 50 turns, the glide on the Hemiptere was very flat and gentle.  The Doodlebug was acting nose heavy. Removed some nose weight and no change. Removed some more, no change. Put it back in the shop to adjust the stab incidence.If we have weather like this tomorrow maybe I can get to a nearby field for some longer tests.

Reset the stab incidence a smidge and while it flattened theglide a small amount, now it has a tendency to fall off on a wing.  I have a feeling this is going to be a very frustrating plane to trim out. With all the struts it's very draggy, so likely speed will need to be higher.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:45:04 PM by Dan Snow » Logged

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: March 30, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »

I think the Doodlebug is destined to become a hanger queen. It weighs a porkly 60 grams, giving it a wing loading of .77 grams/square inch.  So here is my goal for this model. I will do whatever I can to get a decent 30+ second flight out of it.  At that point she will likely be retired. It checked off a box, I've always wanted to build one, and now I have it.

Please pardon the messy bench, I'm in the midst of another project for our Children's Museum.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: March 30, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »

Dan,
Don't give up on your doodlebug too quickly. I had an BF 109 that I built from an Easybuilt kit (30" span) The wings were too long for the scale so I chopped them off at the last bay. After many changes and using a hook to peg length of rubber of 54" I was able to thermal that airplane for 7 1/2 minutes once and took second in WWII mass launch at the Outdoor Champs in Muncie with it. Two minute flights were routine until I destroyed it. Wing loading?? 1.02 grams/sq in.

Thirty seconds and more is achievable. You'll drive yourself nuts chasing the wing loading recommendations that are possible with the best wood, a good design to make use of that great wood, and the patience and developed skill to built ultra light airframes. Your reward? Planes that are capable of flying away or are extremely fragile and may not survive a full season of flying. Until you get to that point, build and fly them for all they're worth cuz you'll never know until you try.

Plus, you'll develop other skills along the way...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: March 30, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

That's very good advice from some one who knows Dan. Have a cup of coffee and then come back to it. Smiley The model that are hard to trim are the one's that will teach you the most. Observe and remember exactly what is happening and in what order it happens, and how fast if is flying when it happens.
Eventually with a bit of luck you'll see a pastern and be able to adjust it for it's best performance.

Happy flying

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: March 30, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »

Living where I do its compulsory to go to the airshows, we got the Melbourne airshow going on this weekend... for me its all about jets here the new F-35 put on a spectacular show and I got to see a P-40 fly for the first time. I also ate primo BBQ today, good thing my cardiologist is not into airshows. He has me on one hotdog a year, no beer, and I can't say how he feels about BBQ, I feel great though. I have been eating food Mr. Ed would have liked for 3 years now! A guy in an Interstate Cadet did a 2 mile deadstick acrobatic stunt and wound up rolling to a complete stop inches from his wife's outstretched hand. A great show and I now want to build a Cadet!

The Threadkiller!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: March 31, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »

Grin  crabby you saw a p40 fly Roll Eyes ? i have yet to see that.  i have seen one in ottawa but that's it . the 40 is my favourite.

jim
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: March 31, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »

Jim I knew that would turn you on. Its a cool sight to see. He has it rigged or was there ever a tandem version (?) so you can get a flight in it. Its probably a ridiculous price to pay for airsickness though Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: April 01, 2019, 05:09:48 AM »

Yes it probably is and not something I would spend my money on.  Here you can have a taxi in a Lancaster which I think is in the region of £600.  Just can’t see it is worth it. But it is good some folk do because it helps maintan them for us meanies to watch.  I have been up close to the BoB Lancaster and was disappointed.  It is all gloss bling and modern gizmos etc.  But the other one l went in was much more original.

Aeroplanewise?  Making wheels for an ABC Robin.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: April 01, 2019, 06:08:43 AM »

David,
          What is this Robin lark? The Widgeon is in the final stages i will post pics soon.
Ricky
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: April 01, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

Finished "coloring" my Mooney M20C no-cal fuselage; project is ready for assembly.  Hand drawn markings and covering are complete.  just a few little details to be added, then final ass'y.  Used a Tombow art pen (#905) for the bright red/orange, and a metallic gold marker (Pen + Gear brand) for the accent color. Sharpie ultra-fine black pen used for control surface/window outlines. Windows are "chalked" with pencil graphite, then burnished with a cotton ball.  Elmer's washable (purple) glue stick to attach the tissue.  Just need to build up a prop and shaft , the motorstick is ready.  I may do a separate build thread, since I took a bunch of pics along the way. Built from my own plans/drawings.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:18:09 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1424 on: April 01, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »

That's very neat pen work Indoor - very sharp detail.

John
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: