Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 13, 2020, 03:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 92   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 114150 times)
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1425 on: April 01, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »

Thanks John!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1426 on: April 02, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »

Nice pen work, Indoorflyer  Smiley

I'm still working on too many projects, for too short a time. I have this growing notion in my head of getting 60 model aircraft in the air in the year after my 60th Birthday this August!
If anything, this is a great excuse to carry on my 'parallel build strategy'! .... and it's only just over one a week ....
If I make this for non-scale models too, I am not too far short of half of that total in models that are in or close to a flying state.

Every now and then I have a tinker with my 2011 Pistachio entry in the Indoor Scale Nats. It wasn't finished properly and took a few knocks on the day and since that time.
I realised at the weekend that I had never test flown the model with the nose block replaced with blu-tac. It actually has quite a nice stable glide .... it raises hope with me that it could still be a flyer with the right power train.

Also over the weekend, I produced over a dozen of these 90deg alignment jigs ... to hopefully speed up my production line!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1427 on: April 02, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »

Thank you Russ. That's some tidy work there, yourself! I like those angles; a great way to jig some fuselages...
(does one use jigs to make jigs ?  Roll Eyes  )
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1428 on: April 02, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »

Thanks Indoorflyer .... they are made the easy way with a 1mm dia. bit in a CNC router.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1429 on: April 03, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

Grin i actually got off my butt and started a racer (thank you most recent FAC newsletter) the wings are drying . i haven't done much in march, i've had medial issues tio deal with and the weather has been cold so i never got my kitty motor to start purring.  i'm a LITTLE MORE INSPIRED NOW

JIM Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #1430 on: April 03, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »

Hispano Suiza exhaust manifolds for my SPAD.

Mark
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #1431 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:49 AM »

Woke up at a ridiculously early hour (lesson learnt is to never drink bottled ale in the last month of its use-by-date!) so have been watching the playlist of superb videos from last November's IFFI at Nijmegen:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN29opIuaZIV9I1ZdYKTdCCl_1plcNNUR

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:06:41 AM by Jack Plane » Logged
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1432 on: April 04, 2019, 01:17:19 AM »

Russ, those jigs look very handy indeed: would you consider supplying/selling some?

Graham
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1433 on: April 04, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »

FFM:
I don't think your work in the second picture counts toward the total of 60. Maybe you could do a few catapult gliders. They're lots of fun, and if you don't put in a dethermalizer, they fly away after a while, so you need a bunch.

Not long ago, I managed to get another modeler's intractable aircraft to fly by using a smaller prop. I realize this means stripping the rubber even narrower, and maybe your prop is already small. I suppose a bigger tail would have a similar effect.

Looking at that paint job, I can see you're more patient than I am.

-----------------------
Airplane wise, I tried to renew my [email protected]#$$%^! FAA registration* today, and, after some struggle, found out that it didn't expire just yet. Also went to a free flight club meeting with people who are much more motivated than me. We have a knowledgeable teenager who expounds at length about various scale issues and details he's discovered. Mostly, it's interesting. He and his dad build a lot, too.

*For RC models over 250 grams, if I recall correctly.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1434 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »

Graham,
If you don't mind doing the assembly etc. then I can do little 'kits' for them easily ... I'll bring some to the indoor nats for you if that is not too far away?

Lincoln,
Yes, I do enjoy flying catapult gliders ... chuck gliders are a problem with my shoulders however. I've got a stock of sport models that never sees light of day .... I hope to kick start myself back into the enjoyment of flying.
I think it's the 'better put it back in the box while it's flying' nature of protecting my scale models that has caused this 'flying block'?!

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1435 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:51 AM »

Nice exhaust manifolds, Mark  Smiley
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1436 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:53 AM »

That's great Russ: many thanks. I've sent you a PM
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Norway Norway

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #1437 on: April 04, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

Covering a wing with cellophane for the first time, an interesting experience. Since cellophane doesn't have any glue on it, and I didn't have any glue stick available other than the repositionable (Post It type) type, I took a chance and tested with standard PVA-based hobby/woodglue. Worked like a charm. Smiley I first diluted the glue with water, approx. 1 part water to 3 parts glue. I then brushed on a thin layer of glue on the surfaces I wanted the cellophane to stick to and let it dry for a day or so while doing other things. I could then treat the cellophane as standard covering film, attaching it with my trusty old covering iron and finally shrink it down to a drum tight finish. A surprise is that this material, although apparently stiffer than ordinary covering film, stretches enough to cover an almost square wingtip in one piece!

This cellophane, bought some years ago at our local Dollar Store is also dirt cheap, where one bag of 15 sq. ft. (2 sheets) came in at about $1, or three bags for $2! Who needs Oracover/Ultracote? Cheesy If there is one downside to it, it must be that this film has the color painted on on one side, preferably you want this side pointing down so the color isn't worn away with time. And if you have to reposition the film after ironing it down, the color will be torn away, leaving a "blank" space. Only the future will show how well the cellophane/glue combination will stick together, or peel away with time. Also, it might not be as puncture/tear resistent as regular covering film. OTOH that shouldn't be a problem, since we're not supposed to crash, OK?  Grin

Brg

Pops
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1438 on: April 05, 2019, 02:54:01 AM »

For several weeks I've been staring angrily at the damage on my rubber power sport biplane tossed into a dark corner of my 'den'. The damage was caused by me when I managed to release the fully wound motor without the noseblock and prop fitted...Aghhhh.

I decided, with not much better to do, to have a serious look at the wreck. As is often the case the damage was not as extensive as it first seemed. A bit of nifty balsa work and a major re-covering exercise and it appears to be fixed and not too wonky. It'll never be a contest winner but should be flying again when the conditions permit. Result. That's another addition to my fleet of tatty patch-ups.

I also had another attempt at starting my new (to me) .45 glow plug motor.  This is my first glow engine which I have acquired for putting in an R/C trainer as I am caving in and having my attempt at R/C later this summer. It's turning out to be a bit reluctant with finger flicking. Not like my easily started diesels that I'm used to. I've had her fired up a couple of times and it runs lovely (great idle and throttle response) but it takes some flickin'. I shall borrow my mates 'leccy finger' to see if I can actually get it to run when I want to fly. Caving in again!!!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1439 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »

WHAT DID YOU DO AIRPLANE WISE TODAY?

I got in 13 flights  Shocked   today, Friday April 5 2019,  with the  30"  Rearwin Speedster - actually two flight reports in one -  6 flights and 22 pics in the morning, went home and had lunch -  and 7 flights in the afternoon and 12 pics.  We got our fill.  Smiley  The Rearwin even flew well when she was injured   Sad   , the good ol' girl!   This session had everything, ...   trees, stuck in trees, trying to climb a tree,  broken rubber, two severe crashes, flying past tree trunks,   Huh   etc.  But we got it all in before the Cricket guys took over.   Cheesy   Here is a couple of the better pics.  I will post a full flight report later.

Pic #1     1867
Pic #2     1876

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 104

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: April 08, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »

Had a great time at the Spring Opener in Gainesville TX in spite of the iffy weather forecast.  Saturday morning was a complete washout, but after lunch the rain stopped and winds died down for a couple of hours, enough to do a bit of trim flying.  Sunday started a bit dreary but turned into a very nice day for flying.

With the large field area I was comfortable trying a bigger motor in the Wicko - put 15g of 3/16" rubber (2x31" loops, 25% of flying weight) in the model, wound it to 5.5 oz-in (~1400 turns) and got a 2:56 flight.  This is my first max (over 2 minute) flight in FAC competition.  Had several other very nice flights on lower winds.

Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcU7P3Q2AB8

Also got some good flights out of the Waco SRE, Little Gem and T-28.  The field was beautiful, with fresh green grass and lots of wildflowers.

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: April 08, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

Mike the conditions worked out for you very well. I know that max flight put a big grin on your face for a while. Sure glad you went .
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: April 08, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »

What a great flying model that is Mike and well trimmed. Also what a field - loads of space.
It would be competitive against P30's Smiley

John
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: April 08, 2019, 08:38:08 PM »

whiskers:
It's a little known fact that crashed models left alone for some time after the incident partially repair themselves. I encourage everyone to put off throwing away crashed models for at least a week.

I've always been amazed by people who can consistently start a glo motor by hand. When I flew glo, I always used a starter.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 104

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »

What a great flying model that is Mike and well trimmed. Also what a field - loads of space.
It would be competitive against P30's Smiley

John

Thanks John - when the weather cooperates Gainesville is a great place to fly.  The Wicko's glide needs a bit more tuning, hope to get rid of the pitch oscillation without killing the float.  Maybe I can get rid of that little blob of clay on the tailskid.

Mike
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: April 08, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »

whiskers:
It's a little known fact that crashed models left alone for some time after the incident partially repair themselves. I encourage everyone to put off throwing away crashed models for at least a week.

I've always been amazed by people who can consistently start a glo motor by hand. When I flew glo, I always used a starter.

The technique that worked for me was to flick them backwards against compression but not through peak compression. They will fire and reverse direction and what is more the prop nut will not come loose. The inertia of the prop tightens the nut. Take care to ensure your finger is near but not at the tip of the prop and can slide off when the engine fires. The engine should be well but not overly primed and the glow plug hot. Worked every time for me on 40+ engines.

Paul
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: April 09, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »

Mooney M20C no-cal finally finished.  Will have two propeller assemblies, a built up/formed balsa-blade indoor style, and a plastic bladed freewheeler for outdoor use.  Have done glide tests (sans prop assy), and with nose ballast, it comes to 6.3g without rubber.  Very pleased with the nice flat, straight ahead glide tests. Angled motorstick gives a little bit of downthrust, but +/- changes if needed, can be tweaked into the bearing/prop hanger.  Midpoint of the hook to hook rubber span is over the wing spar, which is the C of G.

This little model is a tribute to designer Al Mooney, B1906/D1986, whose birthday is Friday April 12.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:45:11 AM by Indoorflyer » Logged
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: April 09, 2019, 01:33:58 AM »

I'm thinning the herd. I boxed up a bunch of 1/72 scale airplane kits and will ship them to a friend who builds like crazy. He averages 1.5 kits a week. His "airmada" is at #398. All of them 1/72 airplanes.  I sent him this picture as a tease:

https://i.imgur.com/v3SZReb.jpg  Grin
There are 10 kits with a total of 12 planes in that box. He has no idea Cheesy
What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: April 09, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »

Made my first plaster of Paris mould for indoor radio Percival Prentice.

I used the original vac formed wheel pants from the RC short kit which weigh 28g each.
The plug came out easily from the master with just one wipe over of release glaze.
Hoping to vac form the new Graupner Vector board material over the plug and get the final weight down to 3 or 4 grammes.

Next job to finish the vac box.
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »

I have just got back from a visit to the new VMC unit at Flagg, which is a village just outside Buxton where I live. Only 10 minutes drive so very handy for me. They don't have a proper shop but are happy to sell to any members of the public who call in. I had a tour of the production area as well as buying some supplies. Phil showed me the parts for one of Andrew Darby's designed Hurricanes being laser cut which was fascinating to watch. One of those things that you could watch for ages. I think I will be calling in regularly in the future.
It's very encouraging to see a small company like this doing well, and they seem to have lots of plans to expand what they do. All good for our hobby.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 92   Go Up
Print
Jump to: