Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 11, 2019, 12:22:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98520 times)
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: April 09, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »

What is VMC?  A quick search says Vulcan Materials Company, or Rapala tackle. I don't think those apply!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: April 09, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »

Vintage Model Company
https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: April 09, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »

Thanks!

Derek
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: April 09, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »

Made a start on covering the Horsa.  Remind me, why the blazes did I choose an aluminium doped example for the scheme? Oh, yes; because I'm an idiot.  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: April 09, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »

Also Lurk, because it will look F'n cool as "S"!  Get some silver floral spray and a bottle of Kentucky bourbon, you'll do fine!

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: April 09, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »

The finished Mooney looks very neat Indoor.

John
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:07 AM »

Today I mucked around with this electric Sea Otter mockup, in a perishing east wind - but at least there's some dry ground, and sunshine at long last. After some flights with ever increasing propeller blade pitch being indicated, I made a bigger prop (the one fitted) and flew it at 40° blade pitch angle but the breeze was making for pointless roller-coaster flights. The wind ought to die down this eve according to the forecast.

The model is to 1/32 scale, or 17.25", 438mm span. It has an 0820 coreless motor and a 10F supercapacitor, and is geared 5:1. It's a bit disappointing as it looks like it might struggle to do even 30 seconds, and a scale model would be heavier and draggier with thicker flying surfaces, paint, details etc. The gears mesh very badly and despite work to clean them up I think they still sap a lot of the motor's power.

As for other supercap delvings; I gave up on ducted fans - I made some useful improvements but I think Jon (Y52) is right that at least a continuous 3.8v would be needed to get a small jet model to fly. I found that a direct-drive high-wing model I made was benefitting from a bigger prop with higher pitch, when it hit one tree too many. I hope to make a direct-drive scale model soon.

Stephen.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: April 11, 2019, 08:21:53 AM »

Not totally sure how I got into this mess but suddenly have the urge to find Rearwin Speedster material. And there is plenty of it for a plane where so few were actually built. Just ran across a plan for a rubber scale 1in to the foot (32 inch ws) version from a designer by the name of Stephen A Lambert. The only other  reference to him that I can find appears in Model Airplane News, July, 1957. He published his Puss Moth (1/2A gas) which was also a 1 in to the ft scale. The Rearwin plan is dated 1985. His plan looks like art to me. I am hoping someone can tell me where to find more about him.

kennybflyin
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: April 11, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »

The finished Mooney looks very neat Indoor.

John

Thanks John!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:43 PM »

Here is a look at the Stephen Lambert plan from Model Airplane News, July, 1957. I'm interested in finding out more about any other designs he drew between the middle 1950's thru the middle 1980's. Again, I found a 32" rubber powered Rearwin Speedster plan but am still interested in finding any others that might be hiding in the shadows somewhere.

kennybflyin
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »

BAT Monoplane ready to cover: presently 11.5g. Based heavily on Al Backstrom's dime plan, but enlarged to 1/14 scale/ 19" span. Should end up sub 30g with 450cm2 of wing area, so a nice slow flyer.

Graham
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: April 11, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »

Very impressive work, what a sensible looking model!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: April 12, 2019, 06:38:43 AM »

That looks floaty light, Graham  Smiley
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »

kennybflyin,

I had some correspondence with Stephen Lambert Jr. in 1984 when I purchased his own version of the D.H.80a Puss Moth plan, somewhat different from the M.A.N. plan you have posted.  The M.A.N. version appears to be a redraw of Stephen's original.   At that time, I thought the model was a bit beyond my abilities though I could probably deal with it now.  His surviving letter describes how certain features of his model were made and he kindly provided a pair of Union Flag decals that he had printed to adorn the rudder of the Mollison Moth The Heart's Content which he modeled and flew in the 1957 Nationals at Willow Grove, PA.

At that time (1984), Stephen Lambert had a model airplane plan business called I-II-I M.P.Co. (One to One Model Plan Co.) which inferred that his plans were to the constant scale of 1" = 1'.  All of his plans were free flight scale but the power source could be rubber, CO2, or IC engine.

Plans listed include:
Fokker D.VIII
Gull E (1941 designed semi-scale)
D.H.80a Puss Moth
Dormoy Bath-Tub
Great Lakes 2T1A
1935 Corben Baby Ace
Evans VP1 Volks Plane
Wittman Buttercup  (I have this plan from July, 1958 M.A.N.)
Les Long's Longster
Pietenpol Sky Scout (Single seat predecessor of the Air Camper)

At that date (1984) he was working on additional plans of the Demoissele, Luscombe Silvair, and the Berliner Joyce P-16

Mr Lambert also mentioned that pre-WW2, he was working as a Sales Representative for the Comet Model Co.  In 1984. he was living in Greensboro, North Carolina.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:48:09 PM by Mark Braunlich » Logged

Mark
kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: April 13, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »

Mark,

Your list of other plans drawn by Stephen Lambert is exactly what I was looking for. Now to find them and add them to the Rearwin Speedster plan. Maybe we can get permission to share his original plans which apparently have not been published. If the Rearwin Speedster plan is any indication, his work is true art.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Kennybflyin

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »

Grin made progress on the racer and went flying in gym

jim Grin
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: April 16, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »

Cracked it! At last the wind was absent this morning so I got a few flights on this Sea Otter mockup. It has gained a new even bigger prop in the meantime and after a ≈ 30 sec flight without much altitude I fined the blade pitch to where it is in the attached photo and the model flew for the camera. This is an early flight - I expect I can milk more out of it, but this is the steady green light I needed before I'd have considered going to the trouble of making a scale model. The noise is off-putting. The screeching gear noise is horrid close to, but the camera mic. does exaggerate the sound a lot. And they say you can get used to anything. . . Further away and at lower rpm, the uneven meshing of the gears makes it putter like a Model T Ford or something.

Note: the supercap is overboosted. Sonex413 recommends 3.1v max but after a real dig into the 'net I found. . .nothing. . .except one brochure that suggested quite strongly that 3.5v should be acceptable. Supercaps are known for their overvoltage sensitivity, but exactly how, how quickly, and how much they're affected is complex. I'm charging from three AA alkalines and measuring with a multimeter. With new batteries the charge only takes a few seconds, and you need three or more hands, so I'd better say the charge in the video is 3.5 +/- 0.2v, that should cover it.

Stephen.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: April 16, 2019, 04:59:36 AM »

Amazing how such an ungainly looking biplane flying boat could fly so well Stephen. Enter it as it is a scale model of Mitchell's proof of concept model Smiley Well of course he made one didn't he?

The gearing and the prop are very effective.

John

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »

I just had my best day ever with the 30" Rearwin Speedster.  Cheesy   Five flights in the morning finger wound, and nine flights in the afternoon with the Winding Stooge.   I SHATTERED    Grin Shocked   my old record of 34 seconds with my new record of 43 seconds on 750 stretch winds with a  19 1/2"  four strand rubber motor of 3/16".   Prop hook to rear peg is  13".   Full flight report coming up later.   Last four flight were 28, 31, 31, and then the 43 second record.

Pic #1     1985
Pic #2     1989

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: April 17, 2019, 02:28:23 AM »

Richard - 60 secs is just around the corner Smiley

John
kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #1470 on: April 18, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »

While looking for something else I ran across this snap of the retired star-ship DISCOVERY. And the first thing that came to my mind was the song America The Beautiful=== Oh beautiful for spacious skies... This prompted a search for info about the writer of those words which lead to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Lee_Bates

It turns out that both of these ladies have a lot in common.

Now, back to model aircraft...

Kennybflyin
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1471 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:04 PM »

Stephen, I like your prop design.  I bet you are getting some passive variable pitch action because the leading edge  (LE) of the prop leads the prop-hub attachment allowing the LE of the prop to adjust to a coarser pitch at high power settings.  I know that passive variable pitch is useful for rubber because it saves winds but not sure with a capacitor.  The way super capacitors fail when over charged is you will hear a pop when the electricity blasts a hole through the separator membrane layer that separates the two electrodes.  I guess that is the analog of breaking a rubberband.  I guess only experience will tell when or at what voltage that will happen.  I don't think that overcharging will weaken the membrane over time.  Also, I'm surprised that you are having good success with this model and its high thrust-line.
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #1472 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:44 AM »

Searching all over the place for two bags of rubber bands (wing fasteners). I know I have them somewhere, but so far they hide very well! Huh

Brg

Pops
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1473 on: April 19, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »

Hullo Marlin. Thanks for the info, that's very useful. Yes, because the 10F caps cost less than a pound each I can afford to wreck one or two to find the limits. I have a graph that seems to indicate that 4v might be pushing it, at least in terms of slow degradation as opposed to failure. However, the graph is scaled for tens of thousands of charge/discharge cycles so what looks like an initially precipitous collapse in capacitance might still allow say several hundred cycles before the cap would become useless. Anyhow, I'm not sure whether I should worry more about loss of capacity or loss of peak voltage stored. I'm blind here due to electronic ignorance.

The blade profile is really just a way to cram in as much area as possible to absorb what the motor seems to offer, within the disc radius dictated by the fuselage. I'll remember the passive VP notion.

I built this mockup - as opposed to a full-on scale model - because of strong doubts about stability, and have been very surprised. It is extremely stable. The CG is well forward, about 20% of mean aerodynamic chord, and vertically the CG is halfway up the visible portion of the centre-struts. Pendulum stability is probably the answer, tho' it can't be that great: as the fuselage tips one way the relatively heavy engine nacelle tips the other. The prop washes right over the tail which is not far behind the prop. The strong pitch-down couple of thrust on one side of the CG and fuselage drag on the other, is trimmed out with lots of up elevator, so the model gets more stally as power decreases, but the model lands very gently before stalling commences, and the prop keeps spinning for two or three minutes after landing, if not switched off.

Stephen.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1474 on: April 19, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »

I cleaned out and organized the backyard shed so I can get several things out of the garage so I can place several boxes on my modeling bench on the garage shelves so there is space to actually build something on said modeling bench after I replace several sprinkler heads on the lawn irritation ( I mean irrigation) system... It's Spring!

Derek
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: