Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 06:09:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98238 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1475 on: April 21, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »

Well technically it was yesterday... but I attended the BARCS F3K 'come and try' event at BMFA National Centre in Buckminster and what a superb event it was. Around 30 DLG pilots attended an informal open day and clinic for F3k with the star guest of Vincent Merlijn - the current F3k world champion.

The first lesson was in launch technique and the advice and tutoring payed for off me at least with and increase in both launch height and consistency. The day moved on through several topics to lift detection and ended with an 'all up' informal comp with a 3 min flight target. There were a few rounds, and for us beginners if you landed before time, you could relaunch for the fun of it all. I was a hugely enjoyable and informative day

There's a video here with a bit by Vincent Merlijn on detecting thermals in which he slope soars off the BMFA shed roof !!

https://youtu.be/JkvgEr8TJLM

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1476 on: April 21, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »

Interesting. The world championship chap seemed to get great height with less effort than the others. Does something clever happen with the trim between climb and glide, other than stick-twiddling? Like VIT?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1477 on: April 21, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »

Thanks for posting the video Chris.  I was supposed to be attending, but (as can be seen from my postings elsewhere in this parish) I've been a dedicated dad and decided to forego the event at Buckminster.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1478 on: April 21, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »

Yes the launch has different flap settings to the glide , normally a reflex in the flaps to increase speed and reduce lift ( its basically a missile at this stage), with a rotate function on a momentary button to initiate the climb - which is a bit like VIT ( ie a bit of up elevator). Once the speed drops at the top of the climb you bunt over into level flight and change to cruise mode on the flaps. This means you can launch flat at the horizon and avoid a tip strike from trying to launch the model straight into the climb , which if contact is made could destroy the model . Launching at the horizon when you know you want it go into a near vertical climb is surprisingly difficult... but easier thanks to this session. One surprising thing about the launch height though is it seems to be mostly technique not brute strength.

Edit - the results look good Jon best of luck to both next weekend and see you there
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:15:27 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1479 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

Weather was beautiful here in San Antonio yesterday - best flying day of the year yet.  Had some fun with several models before packing up to take the kids to the optometrist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmjE-9C9i9g

Note that the Skyrocket does not fly well with only one prop.

Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend.

Mike
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #1480 on: April 21, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »

Great video and flights Mike!  Really enjoyed it!
Wally
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1481 on: April 21, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »

Thanks Wally, it was a beautiful day to fly.  If I'd been able to stay a bit longer I might have got the Tigercat to fly the same direction twice in a row...

Cheers,

Mike
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1482 on: April 21, 2019, 11:58:14 PM »

I would love to see you cover a plane. Incredible work!!!
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #1483 on: April 22, 2019, 02:28:59 AM »

I would love to see you cover a plane. Incredible work!!!

Yea, me too! Those are really beautiful models, Mike!

Brg

Pops
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1484 on: April 22, 2019, 03:03:51 AM »

Looks like you had an ace day Mike!

Really enjoyable, and educational too, watching your videos.

By the way, what do you mean by "ounce-inches"?  (Sometimes you describe it this way, at others you just state thickness and turns.)

Jon
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1485 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »

Thanks all - not much beats flying on a nice day!

By the way, what do you mean by "ounce-inches"?  (Sometimes you describe it this way, at others you just state thickness and turns.)

Jon

Jon, ounce-inches is a measure of the torque wound into the rubber motor.  On smaller models and when doing casual flying well below the limits of the motor I'll just count the turns, but if I'm doing power trimming or competition I'll wind to torque for more repeatable results.  I made a torque meter similar to Herb Kothe's design described here:  https://freeflight.org/Library/TechLibrary/Torque%20Meters%20by%20Herb%20Kothe.pdf.  There's a straightforward presentation of using a torque meter for indoor flying here: https://freeflight.org/Library/TechLibrary/Torqua%20Meter%20Why%20Use.pdf and a more involved discussion for outdoor scale here:  ttps://freeflight.org/Library/TechLibrary/Rubber%20Scale%20Flying%20by%20DeLoach.pdf.  These writeups are focused mostly on US Flying Aces Club styles of flying, but they should at least help clarify what I'm babbling about in the videos.

Cheers,

Mike
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1486 on: April 22, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »

Mike, thanks so much for those docs - really interesting!

Mostly I fly indoor scale which is not a duration class, therefore I'm normally in the same camp as your 'smaller / casual flying' models and so just count the turns, normally only around 50-70% of calculated max, aiming to land with some turns left on the rubber, sometimes backing off a few turns to help tame the initial power-burst on takeoff, etc... more an art than a science and different for every model.

The exception is indoor Peanut where I'm now in the habit of winding to 80% of calculated max and sometimes - the last flight(s) of the comp where my motor is fatigued - even to 90%!

My next steps for my Peanut models are now to make (i) a blast-tube and (ii) a rudimentary torque-meter - so this stuff is really useful.

Cheers

Jon
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1487 on: April 22, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  the EDWARDS AFB (NORTH)  FLIGHT CENTER (my back yard) was opened for business on Easter Sunday with two young pilots getting very flighty with their foam gliders. Actually they dis very well. flying

secondly I got my racer in shape for flight .  This plan is in the latest FAC issue and I blew it up 30 %.

JIM
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1488 on: April 22, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »

Good to see you bringing on the next generation Jim!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1489 on: April 22, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »

Spent a pleasant hour or so sitting in the garden with a pot of tea and a small stack of old issues of Aeromodeller pulled at random from my shelf.

Always something interesting....
How about a rubber powered V2 rocket by some young upstart called 'Roger' Crossley?
Or maybe a McHard candle-powered wood bender?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1490 on: April 22, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »

What a great day of flying Mike. It looks like you could have been lucky not to lose the T28! I think you could definitely do a interesting tutorial on tissue covering Mike Smiley
You have really put in an effort with your grand kids Jim. good on you!
Reminds me of my daily coffees Pete.!  Cheesy
Easter seems to have been a great break for HPA modellers around the world.

John

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #1491 on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:06 PM »

Jim, looks like a Sonarai Formula Vee racer.

I had a 2-seat version for several years.  Flew from Lakeland, FL to OSH twice behind a VW engine!

Even took FAC's Padre up for a ride!
VictorY
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1492 on: April 28, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

It's not freeflight, and it's not really homebuilt unless you consider 80+ hrs of servo, gear and radio installation part of the build. These composite ships come out of the factory molds looking almost complete. But I sure had fun after getting up the courage to maiden her. It was a very uneventful flight. The plane trimmed well with few inputs in all the flight modes and I even guessed really close on the elevator compenstion for landing mode, meaning I didn't have to fight the plane when I started turning on the brakes(decreasing glide slope with flaps and spoilers). You need a lot of down elevator as the flaps come down. Spoilers offset that some but there is still some pitch induced. Second flight was epic. I could have stayed up until the lift in the area started to die down a few hours later, but chose to take a break after a little over a half hour. Max atitude above ground level was likely 2500 to 3000 feet as this 6.6 meter bird became a speck on multiple climbs. Smiley

It's a truly incredible model aircraft, worthy of being put on the same pedestal as the full scale version. You wouldn't believe the glide ratio. I bet it's at least 40:1 in this 1/3 scale version judging by my last landing of the weekend. Evidently people were placing bets that I wouldn't make it back to the field after my downwind was longer than expected due to the 15 to 20 knot winds. At some point, the plane was about 10ft off of the deck and still around 100yds away from seeing the mowed part of the landing strip. It looked like I was going to have to do some walking, then I remembered I was still in a high camber thermal mode, which is also my landing mode right now. After switching back to speed mode, the plane used up a couple of feet of altitude to gain some energy, which allowed me to just barely clear the tall grass and land on the runway, rolling up to within 30ft of show center. Smiley "I meant to do that!" LOL. Nope. Just a great plane and a fat, half disabled lazy guy who didn't want to carry his plane 100yds.

It was a good inaugural aerotow event, a great weekend for me, and hopefully we generated enough fun and numbers to bring more people next year.  

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #1493 on: April 29, 2019, 05:07:01 AM »

I can confirm that launch technique makes a big difference in DLG. Just competing with some very good pilots a while back made a huge difference in my launch height. I may have forgotten most of that by now, though, as there don't seem to be any dlg contests near me any more. Even that one was, I think, maybe 7 or 8 hours drive away. Ugh!

However, today I hung around at an indoor ff contest. Lots of fun, even if I didn't have any models ready to go. I don't know how the pilots kept track of which airplane was theirs during the Battle of Britain mass launch event. If I'm not mistaken, William Skelly was the big winner. Also got to watch Ray Harlan's Santos-Dumont* crawl through the air as if it was full of helium.

*I think.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »

Beautiful model Victory - what exactly is it? That sounds like you had a great day. Aero towing certainly looks interesting.

John
VictorY
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2019, 11:01:14 PM »

Beautiful model Victory - what exactly is it? That sounds like you had a great day. Aero towing certainly looks interesting.

John

It's a 1/3 Antares from Baudismodel.com, optimized specifically for rc GPS Triangle racing(telemetry based racing around virtual pylons). There isn't enough activity here in the states to get into actually racing it, but it's one heck of a model with extreme performance. They build the GPS racers a little light so they can compete on days when the lift is weak, but they also come with factory ballast systems so they can fly in wind and on days when there is turbulent extreme lift. My plane weighs just under 30lbs ready to fly, and will carry at least that much in brass ballast bars. They have the latest racing airfoils/aerodynamics and are built just like modern full scale 1:1 racing sailplanes. Smiley This one came to me by way of luck. All I had to do was help sell another plane like it and buy the electronics. Otherwise, I'd never be able to enjoy this class of sailplane. Well, technically the story is much longer than that, but you don't want to read a novel I'm sure.

Here's a whole bunch of photos if you are interested. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipObSir4Qs-g6iNew9FmkQ74VBk8XCUO0edh22OwGbcCeTj1j-DmliLd3wkjdg0SNQ?key=YUhqbXdBbk9OQVVEYXUzQktncFZzSG1iaEhSOXBn

Cheers!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1496 on: April 30, 2019, 02:00:25 AM »

Thanks for the photo link Victory. I have heard of GPS triangle racing and the concept is interesting but outside the depth of my pocket Cheesy. I'm an old F3B flyer from the 80's - 90's and was involved with the 1985 and 87 WC's teams.

Cheers
John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1497 on: April 30, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »

Easter seems to have been a great break for HPA modellers around the world.
  Roll Eyes

Rather ironically on Easter monday I fell off a rock, dislocated/broke my ankle and got stretchered off by Mountain Rescue. Now recovering from surgery with some Mechano inserted in my ankle  Undecided and confined to bed for a few weeks. Might finally get some design work done! Currently looking through my to do list to see what project I want to start on CAD Cool

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58461276_2619897108039020_1028020312291147776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn1-1.fna&oh=7604b63326906241bab9460e9a46441a&oe=5D2B126C
What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1498 on: April 30, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

Bad luck Jon, Hope your recovery is swift and complete.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1499 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »

Well if you will do these dangerous hobbies! Especially on what, judging from that beautiful photo, looks like a perfect flying day.
Seriously though- hope you’re fully mended soon and we’ll look forward to seeing what wonderful designs you come up with in the meantime. Can you get a workbench over the bed too?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: