Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 07:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98401 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: April 30, 2019, 09:58:28 AM »

Hope for a speedy recovery Jon.  The Mountain Rescue people, all volunteers I understand, do a great job.  I have seen them in action around Mam Tor and Jacobs Ladder a few times.  People with heart attacks as well as parascenders colliding or doing downwind landings.  The rock climbers make me smile with their roll of foam rubber to break their fall.  If we lined the indoor venue walls with that stuff would it stop severe damage to models when they hit the walls?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »

Thanks Dave and Pete  Smiley

Ironically having done some rather more adventurous stuff earlier in the day, the route I fell off was a 'safe' one with small fall (really very routine) caught perfectly on the rope. I was just unlucky enough to swing into the rock at an odd angle and clip my foot. The climbers equivalent of tripping over a tea cosy  Roll Eyes However a few days later a friend of mine stood up while her leg was asleep and broke her ankle too Cheesy  
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: April 30, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »

Thanks Ralph, yes they are all volunteers and mostly climbers too. Oddly enough I was involved in a rescue the week before in Wales where we helped a lass abseil off with a broken wrist and nearly got myself recruited by the Wales team. So having saved them a job I thought I'd get my monies worth. They are a great bunch.

The guys climbing with mats and walking around like Sponge Bob are Boulderers. We roped climbers like to look down on them, literally.  Grin (Actually not at all  Cool)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »

Sorry to hear that Jon!

If you're going to have to do a lot of sitting, how about making a new indoor jobbie... Peanut even?!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: April 30, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »

Hi Jon,

Yes something small would be good and I have a few peanuts I'd like to do when I can build again. In the end I spent a little time on a small indoor FF Dragon Rapide, something in the style of FROG Junior construction.

Jon
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »

Good grief Jon there are easier ways to get enough height to launch your model! Smiley Good luck with the recuperation and don't take it easy with the physiotherapy Smiley It can make all the difference.
Now back to your list of projects!
All the best.
John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:58 AM »

Good grief Jon there are easier ways to get enough height to launch your model! Smiley Good luck with the recuperation and don't take it easy with the physiotherapy Smiley It can make all the difference.
Now back to your list of projects!
All the best.
John

Thanks for the encouragement John  Smiley yes I will be working hard on the rehab as soon as it's healing properly. Just got to switch from climbing training mentality to ankle physio for a while. Won't be long before I'm doing pull ups and the cast acts just like a weight belt  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Very thankful I have modelling in my life right now Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: May 01, 2019, 05:45:24 AM »

Late to notice this, Jon.
Speedy recovery!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: May 01, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »

Thanks Russ  Smiley
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: May 01, 2019, 11:59:46 PM »

Easter seems to have been a great break for HPA modellers around the world.
  Roll Eyes

Rather ironically on Easter monday I fell off a rock, dislocated/broke my ankle and got stretchered off by Mountain Rescue. Now recovering from surgery with some Mechano inserted in my ankle  Undecided and confined to bed for a few weeks. Might finally get some design work done! Currently looking through my to do list to see what project I want to start on CAD Cool

snip
Oh dear. That sounds like no fun at all. I don't think Meccano┬« ever used cadmium* plating, but you might want to check, and I know at different times nickel and zinc were used. Then there's the paint. Any lead in it? Seems like 316 stainless or better might have been a good investment. ;-)     I once had metal bits holding my hand together for a few months. It used to ache before it rained until I noticed that was the other hand. Be sure to do your PT homework.
*Toxic, you know.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: May 06, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30 inch  Dumas kit

Well, after working so hard getting this plane finally repaired - it was done Sat eve - I forced myself to wait for Sun AM for test flights.  After six perfect flights on Sunday morning, I thought I had better go home and come back later in the day with the winding stooge and a long 22 inch motor --  IF the Cricket boys were not there, but they were there ... -    so I waited til the next day, today, Monday May 6 2019, and we went back out there in the AM -  the Grass Mower guy had just cut the Cricket grass, although at a very high blade setting, and he almost got stuck in wet grass ruts.   We got  10  great flights in, all finger wound.   Here are a couple of good pics out of both days.  Full Flight Reports to be posted later in "Your Birds In Flight".    Good thing I got these two flight days in,  because it is now cooling off again, and rain for four days coming now.
     The Rearwin Speedster is still "trimmed out" for flight, since the last crash that broke the left wing off, and I did not have to adjust anything.   It feels good, to once again,  have my favourite 30" Jumbo, sitting on the wall, just waiting to go flying ...

Pic #1     2151
Pic #2     2155
Pic #3     2171
Pic #4     2173

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1511 on: May 06, 2019, 11:28:55 PM »

I have to share this landing that was captured at the aerotow event I posted about. The video is long, with lots of good stuff, but I was lucky enough for my first flight on the airframe and my most exciting landing of the weekend to make the final cut, 6:28 and 14:00. Check out the penetration of this big girl during my landing that had a downwind leg that was far too long on such a windy day. It's nice to have a wing with zero external linkages or horns and full wipers. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTeN1ezVGA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1hfLXlcOMMpgWaujC3afiO0b8vnIIUvLolkKE7cSLoPay3QHWPMcMH_A8
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: May 07, 2019, 06:15:47 AM »

Oh dear. That sounds like no fun at all.....Be sure to do your PT homework.

Lincoln, sorry I missed this - thanks for the kind words Smiley

Jon
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: May 12, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »

Grin  lots Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

in the went flying dept
the boys and i flew
2 stick models, BUZZARD JR AND MINNOW
 the john bell p40
comet SPITFIRE
AND MUY RACER.

ALL PLANES FLEW WELLL

THEN kIER AND i SAT DOWN TO BUILD THE gUILLOWS sILVER STREAK WHICH I GOT HIM FOR XMAS. kier successfully flew it , not bad for an almost 4 year old

we put several planes in the trees but got them down no big deal. 

all of the planes did suffer damage so the plane hospital will be busy this week.

for the piece de resistance, i showed the boys my easybilt p40  they've never seen anything that big before.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1514 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:14 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"   Dumas Kit

Partial  FLIGHT REPORT #14         TUES MAY 14 2019

We made it out to the Cricket Field about  10:30 AM.   We got in seven flights,  stretch would on a winding Stooge, on this gorgeous Spring day.    Smiley   The wind gusts picked up to 18 mph  Shocked , so we went home, as the motor also had a small tear   Undecided  (good thing I stretched it out to look at it ...),  ......  Full Flight Report #14 to follow ...

Pic #1     2229
Pic #2     2230
Pic #3     2233
Pic #4     2234
Pic #5     2238
Pic #6     2241

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: May 14, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »

Had a nice day today here in San Antonio, so after a bit of jetcat flying with FlyAce1946 I sent Wing Commander Beamont out patrolling for V-1s.

Mike
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: May 16, 2019, 05:15:10 AM »

Oh dear. That sounds like no fun at all.....Be sure to do your PT homework.

Lincoln, sorry I missed this - thanks for the kind words Smiley

Jon
I thought I was giving you a hard time with those comments about toxic plating on Meccano®, but apparently not. Hope your recovery is moving along.

In the airplane department, I actually glued up a couple of broken bits on my Herr Cessna 180, which has been sitting around, damaged, for a long time. Maybe even since the last millenium, though I'm not really sure. I've also been spending far too much time figuring out what my next project will be*. Probably a Thermal Bagger, which is an old time, built up rubber stick model. Hope to have it ready for a contest on the 1st of June, along the Herr and another model that needs a little repair. And, light finally dawning on marble head, I think perhaps if I trim the prop back on my Aeroneer dime scale, maybe it would actually fly, if not for all that long. I also chased after some of my model stuff. My Duco* has gone for a hike, along with a box and a case of stuff, though I suspect I will find it all. If not, I'll have lost a Harlan rubber stripper, but most likely I just buried it somewhere or saw it and didn't notice it.

*Other leading candidates: my crazy ideas for an embryo, a D'ebut embryo, an Erie Daily times (laser cut kit), a Fair Clipper (pretty, 30 inch old timer, I  have the kit), an Easy Built Ritz. I could go on.... 
** I may even still have some Ambroid, but if so it's in the case or the box, probably.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1517 on: May 20, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »

Made a tailwheel for the Spitfire.  Came out at .37g - there's nothing like the satisfaction of adding dead weight to the aft end of a chronically tail-heavy model...

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: May 20, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »

there's nothing like the satisfaction of adding dead weight to the aft end of a chronically tail-heavy model...
Smiley

John
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »

I spent a very nice afternoon at Ivinghoe Beacon in the warm sunshine.

I only took a Blaster DLG and during the course of  a couple hours the wind increased from almost nothing to a steady 10-12mph. Great opportunity to try the blaster with all 3 ballast settings. A very enjoyable couple of hours flying, by the end Dave had his 3m F3F slope racer carving up the air in the steady breeze

Pic 1 - Blaster 3 and Lion

Pic 2 - Dave at work
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: May 26, 2019, 02:27:08 AM »

Went to the local club field and flew my Elf DLG. The test toss, which was just level from about 5 feet, hit lift and I managed to play it up to maybe 25 feet, but the accompanying wind was so strong I couldn't keep it out of a tree. At least it was only about 8 or 10 feet up and easy to retrieve. Flying further out in the field was better and I had some interesting flights.

Also have been fixing my free flight models these last few days.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: May 26, 2019, 03:31:38 AM »

Nice one Lincoln.

The Elf is such an easy, lovely little DLG.  In the past I've launched mine to about 75ft or so, just keep your arm straight (like tennis) and don't flick the wrist (like squash) or you'll stress the peg wing-tip.  For windier conditions I made up two flat slugs of lead ballast, 12.5g each, which fit in the recess in the underside of the wing in the region of the CG.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: May 26, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »

Where did you put the receiver? Mine is partly in that recess.  Servos and battery out front.

My elf was first set up by someone who was following the instructions. When the peg came out, I shortened it a bit and glued it back in with epoxy. So far, so good. I've been flying DLG for a while. One of these days, I should fix up one of the other ones for when it's windy. And I might make a new stab platform for the Elf, so the horn on the stab can be longer and less sensitive.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: May 27, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »

Where did you put the receiver? Mine is partly in that recess.  Servos and battery out front.

Servos and battery (2 cell 175mAh LiPo) up front as normal.  RX is a small de-cased Spektrum which sits as low down as possible in the rear of the plastic pod (had to remove the servo lead pins from the plugs to get them through the small cavity on each side of the boom, then re-attach).  The ballast is made up of two flat rectangles of hammered lead, each trimmed for a snug fit in the forward rectangular recess in the underside of the wing itself, approximately where the CG is.

The ballast pieces are inserted with the wing upside-down, then the fuselage placed on top and screwed in, the close fit holding the ballast in place.  There is just enough clearance for both 12.5g pieces, but if using just one piece then a small piece of foam is also used to snug it in.

The flying weight is 108g, plus a couple of grams or so of tail-weight (Blu-Tak stuck to the bottom of the boom/fin join) for a more neutral - i.e. twitchier - CG.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:10:59 AM by Jack Plane » Logged
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: May 28, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »

Made up a pusher prop (fan method) for the SAAB.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: