Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 02:32:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98345 times)
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1550 on: June 19, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »

Regarding my prior mention of P-30 and scale-like aircraft, I've been doing some experimentation by scaling up existing Gallery plans to a roughly 29.5" w/s. The results are very interesting.

I've printed out the Berryman Peanut Me 109 F, and Finnish "Hurricane" fighter, the Czech Avia B-35, a Fairey Fulmar, a Pres Bruning Fw-190 D9, and about another half dozen WWII Fighters, all to about 28"-29.5" w/s. Awaiting the delivery (today) of more printer paper; there will be a few more, including the Bob Peck A6M5 Zero, as well as more center of the road design selections, like a Hawker Hurricane, a Supermarine Spitfire, and/or a P-51B.

The designs, as printed, look very buildable; and one might assume (yeah, I know, assume...) that the big ones should fly as well as the original sized ones.

But I intend some mods.

Wing structures would be similar to the cracked rib design of the Sundog Spitfire P-30, and maybe completely converted to a Rees style wing construction. I also think I could work in some buildable undercamber.

D/T's would be a pretty necessary option; but anything that combusts is a no-no for me, due to very dry undergrowth, and a regular annual wildfire season.

Formers would be built up from strip, and I think 3/32" would serve well in most instances. Flying surface tips and some formers would be curved/laminated. Fuselage aft sections and empennage would be built lighter, as possible; to reduce nose weight requirements, which I consider to be little more than dead weight.

Accommodations to scale detailing would be very limited; the plane would need to strongly resemble the original full size aircraft for identification purposes, but scale detail would be as simplified and minimal as could be managed. The point of the concept would be to have planes that fly according to P-30 rules, but as a semi-scale/standoff-scale subset. P-30 max dimensions, minimum weight, rubber max weight, as well as the propeller limitations would need to be honored.

I see the approach of scaling up existing Gallery Plans, then scratch building to the outlines, etc. as the, at least initial, way to do this thing.

As my own planes get done and proven, actual as-built plans would be submitted as uploads to the Gallery (with full credit given to the designers the newer plans are based upon), and I hope that others here would do the same. Somewhere in all of this, I may to need to buy some Adobe software.

About the Sundog Spitfire P-30; it's got that semi-profile fuselage. I like it, and I'd like to see that here with other aircraft designs; but maybe as a separate subset from the full dimensioned fuselage scalers.

If any here think this is a path worth pursuing, I'd like to hear their views and suggestions.

Greg

PS My Wife finishes her last session of Phys rehab tomorrow, and I my last Cardiopulmonary rehab session will be at the end of June. It's been Mon-thru-Fri for several months here, and it'll be very good to get our lives back once again. We're doing pretty well, and now its time to get on with the models an other pursuits.

Living here in the SE sector of Arizona, in the high desert, temperatures reach 115* F, winds gust to 35MPH, and updrafts spawn dust devils that actually raise debris. It's seasonal, and that includes the wildfires. Flying's gonna be a whole new kinda skill to perfect.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:23:29 PM by Greg Langelius » Logged

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1551 on: June 19, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »

Glad the medical challenges are easing up, and you both can get on with things...

There's a fellow on a Facebook model group who is in the prelim stages of drawing up a Mooney M20 lightplane as a P-30 subject.   I believe he is planning a "skinny" width fuselage.  The Mooney and Piper Comanche with their similar wings would be nice "reminder" scale model P-30s.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1552 on: June 19, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

Sounds very good.

My original purpose for this P-30/Scale approach was related to the Battle of Britain anniversary, but life did not permit a timely response.

Meanwhile, my thinking fell into the WWII groove and it's having some trouble climbing back out. Maybe it will, maybe it won't; but my own thinking really doesn't need to be any kind of a governing factor here.

Everybody gets a to do their own thang.

"Reminder Scale". Catchy, I like it.

Greg

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1553 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »

Cool idea Greg!  I look forward to see what you build.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1554 on: June 19, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »

Me, too.

I'm a bit slow outta the blocks these days (turned 73 two weeks ago); but I also stuck my neck out on this one, so I gotta do this thing, or else...

Greg

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1555 on: June 19, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »

Started sorting through some of my old kits today ... getting the building urge again!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:02:10 PM by FreeFlightModeller » Logged
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1556 on: June 19, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »

Not today but on Sunday I drove down to Whitesheet in Wilts for some 35mph slope soaring with my Middle Phase.  Everyone was flying big mouldies with Multiplex trannies resembling the flight-deck of the USS Enterprise, but 8oz of lead slab ballast cut from the ex's roofing work had me mixing it just fine.  But a moment's inattention on my third flight had the model behind my head and OOS.  Recovered on the track where the cars were parked, astonishingly with very little damage - a scrape on the nose, a biffed-in wing-tip and the bolt securing the ballast had broken its anchorge - all because the lady loves Milk Tray... I mean because the nylon wing-bolts sheared exactly as intended for!

Chap who'd been flying a serious large mouldie was astonished at how little damage the balsa/foam wing had sustained - estimate an afternoon's work.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1557 on: June 19, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »

Yup, things happen quickly on a slope with those sort of wind speeds .... not had one go OOS but I had a model turn viciously  back at me once!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1558 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:48 PM »

...8oz of lead slab ballast cut from the ex's roofing work...
Erm... she knows though right?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1559 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:50 PM »

Erm... she knows though right?

Fortunately not the real, original ex  Shocked Shocked Shocked ... just from my now ex-partner's cottage when the old lean-to came off to make way for the new kitchen.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2019, 12:57:27 PM »

Got back on the enlarged Banana Fritter. Glued in the 2nd top spar and am now ready to shape the wingtips and install the bottom spar. Then it's dihedral time.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »

No. 5 finally has her new noseblock.  Comes in at 7.1 so about 1/5g under previous AUW which gives me a tiny bit of wriggle room on nose weight.  You never know I might even be able to pare a bit of the fixed Pb away.  Be rather nice if I have to.  All I need now is a spell of decent weather, some free time and for the farmer to not cut the field for hay.  Not a lot ask. Is it?

I supose I ought really to replace the Vickers MGs with something a bit closer to scale now I no longer have to muck about with wedges, but that can wait for another week or five.

Pics.
Old, new and "this way up".
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: June 23, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »

Nicely done Lurk!

Let us know when you're going to next give No5 an airing - and I'll pop over to the aerodrome to join you.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: June 23, 2019, 06:04:01 PM »

Been working slowly on getting this thing flying. Glassed the fus, filled and primed everything and now getting the colour scheme on.

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: June 24, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »

Gosh!!

Does it have its other half - and have you checked you'll be able to get the thing out the house first...?  Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: June 24, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »

Wow I hadn't appreciated just how big it is until these shots Shocked and that's only half of it

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: June 24, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »

Ermm, does the CAA know about it?  Smiley
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »

Gosh!!

Does it have its other half - and have you checked you'll be able to get the thing out the house first...?  Grin

House? I wish, but yes, it breaks down into four parts - two wings, front and rear fus. Rear fus is visible in the background. That's over three feet long. Hey, how's the Auri coming along?

Wow I hadn't appreciated just how big it is until these shots Shocked and that's only half of it

Well, two thirds. It is quarter scale, just shy of 3m x 3m

Ermm, does the CAA know about it?  Smiley

They don't need to Wink
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: June 24, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »

New Sopwith Camel is now flying.
2-3 wks ago doing some test trimming on the camel pointed out the need
for less stab and more nose weight.
Today the weather was perfect and the grass high.
Initial flight showed a tendency to spiral in to the left
Adding some w/in and w/out to left and right respectively model still showed tendency
To spiral into the left. Keep in mind the model has scale dihedral so I expect
the need for subtle tweaking using the left torque turn and working to
flatten out the left turn. Playing with the tabs more didn’t result in anything
positive. Lets get radical; REMOVE some nose weight. Well golley gee Gomer
lokee at the thermal the camel just plowed into. Model climbing out in a eft circle
200 ft up. Thank God for the huge field and little wind. Chased down the model
that slowly descended softly into the high grass. 2-3 min aloft. WOW.
Hop aboard Snoopy.

Reviewing the trim changes:
Wash in left wing.
Wash out rt wing.
Remove some stab incidence.
6 gms of nose weight

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: June 24, 2019, 08:42:03 PM »

That would have been rewarding Mike!

Monz you will need a hanger and crane for that beast. PSS?

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: June 25, 2019, 03:39:17 AM »

Monz - the Auri plus four KST servos are still unbelievably completely sealed sight-unseen in that masterpiece of a Hyperflight box!  Shocked

All my free time in the Spring went into building the little Halberstadt in time for the Nats, more recently I've been focussed on flying RC power aeros, trying to become a little less kuk at the job!  (Talking of "job", I know work is zero excuse but I've also had to pay it more attention of late... for money reasons!)  The Auri now looks like an Autumn fit-out to limber up as a possible player in 2020, but I can at least report that the FrSky Taranis kit is a revelation; now in my Middle Phase slope soarer and the big electric Wot 4.

Mike - I'd never presume to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but my 16" camel (I think its got scale dihedral?) was transformed when I added a bit of tip-weight to the outer wing.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: June 25, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »

Monz you will need a hanger and crane for that beast. PSS?

John

Nah, it's only about 12KG at the mo, the advantages of depron. It is PSS, but the closest slopes to throw it off are in Wales, a five hour drive...

Monz - the Auri plus four KST servos are still unbelievably completely sealed sight-unseen in that masterpiece of a Hyperflight box!  Shocked

All my free time in the Spring went into building the little Halberstadt in time for the Nats, more recently I've been focussed on flying RC power aeros, trying to become a little less kuk at the job!  (Talking of "job", I know work is zero excuse but I've also had to pay it more attention of late... for money reasons!)  The Auri now looks like an Autumn fit-out to limber up as a possible player in 2020, but I can at least report that the FrSky Taranis kit is a revelation; now in my Middle Phase slope soarer and the big electric Wot 4.

No man Jon, you need to at least open it and have a look at the bits. If just to admire the workmanship that goes into these carbon gliders. How is the power flying coming on? The BMFA have just released a few new vids on the A cert prep and flying on their YT channel. I must get the A and B done too, soon as I get the leccy Sbach which I've had for about five years maidened... Do you fly mode 1 or 2?

There is another DLG come and try at Buckminster in August. I can get the NXT airworthy for you to have a play with if you want. Just needs an aileron servo replaced.

Frsky is awesome stuff hey, I still know very little about the back end having only used the Frickman setup for my DLG's, but I scored big time the other day with a brand new X9+, case and two X8R recievers which are going into other gliders (bought an F3J and a used Phase 6 [going to get a Phase 6 kit to build too {and an F3RES} ] ). The new TX will be for the PSS and slope stuff so I need to learn how to use it properly for multi servo wings and mixers etc Still unreal that I can fly the CX5 to a tiny tiny tiny speck and have no range issues.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: June 26, 2019, 04:07:05 AM »

Monz

If you still live around Stevenage way, then your nearest decent slope is a lot closer than Wales - the Beacon at Ivinghoe, & the ISA club.
Andy Sephton has just joined there and he lives close to Old Warden.
The Malvern Hills are a lot closer too, then Long Mynd, way before you get into north Wales.

Good luck with it all.
John M
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:40 AM »

No man Jon, you need to at least open it and have a look at the bits. If just to admire the workmanship that goes into these carbon gliders. How is the power flying coming on? The BMFA have just released a few new vids on the A cert prep and flying on their YT channel. I must get the A and B done too, soon as I get the leccy Sbach which I've had for about five years maidened... Do you fly mode 1 or 2?

There is another DLG come and try at Buckminster in August. I can get the NXT airworthy for you to have a play with if you want. Just needs an aileron servo replaced.

Frsky is awesome stuff hey, I still know very little about the back end having only used the Frickman setup for my DLG's, but I scored big time the other day with a brand new X9+, case and two X8R recievers which are going into other gliders (bought an F3J and a used Phase 6 [going to get a Phase 6 kit to build too {and an F3RES} ] ). The new TX will be for the PSS and slope stuff so I need to learn how to use it properly for multi servo wings and mixers etc Still unreal that I can fly the CX5 to a tiny tiny tiny speck and have no range issues.

Ach man Monz!  I'm so slack I should be banished to Bloemfontein... by ox-wagon!!  Actually my brain gets a bit addled if I try to wrap it around more than one thing at a time, so I'm deferring the delight of even opening the box until I'm completely free and ready to put it all together in one hit.  Hopefully in time for Buckminster in Aug (is it the 10/11th or 24/25th?) or take up your kind offer to use your NXT.

Mode 2.  Re learning to programme the Taranis, what seems baffling at first to an outsider rapidly becomes fairly simple when you purchase a copy of this spiral-bound manual https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis-x9d-plus-opentx-user-manual and read it through.  (I can't waste my life watching whole albums of amateurish YT videos!)

The manual succinctly explains the obvious logic of opentx, then instructs you how to programme a 4-chan glider, then add mixers, modes, motor, logic-switches, telemetry stuff, voice alerts, etc - as much or as little as you need.  I did this easily for my Middle Phase, then it was a cinch to copy the setup to my Wot 4, just changing the throttle stick from landing-spoilerons to motor, then adding a throttle cut-off switch.  So, when I eventually get hold of the Frickman file (which I'll do around the time I open the Hyperflight box!), I'm sure the advanced mode stuff etc will all be easier to understand and tweak.

I thought about building a kit Phase 6, but in the end purchased a Quark 2 slow-aerobatic (see earlier reference to 'addled brain') short kit https://islandmodels.ie/home/3-quark-2m.html... next winter's build.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  i am in plane pain.  i ordered my stuff from ac supply and the shipping is horrendous... it's morte than the order Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh don't the USPS AND CAN POST  realize the importance of cross border trade Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

so being a patriotic canuck (istani) i checked the cost for similar at AMAZON .CA  yup it's just as bad. oh why did internet shopping have to kill the local hobby shoppe??  folks with one are so lucky Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

jim Grin
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: