Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2020, 12:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 101336 times)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: June 27, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »

... the shipping is horrendous...
Aye.  Fair makes your eyes water.  My nearest approximation to a proper model shop is nigh on 30* miles away in a direction I rarely travel and their stock is heavily biased towards model railways and "Airfix" models.

The reason I dropped by;  trying to braid up a four strand motor and making a right pig's ear of it.  No, I'm not posting a picture. Smiley
Have consulted my local(ish) experts for advice.

Lurk.

*Not far by transpondian or antipodean standards I know, but I baulk at anything over about 10 miles for a "quick" shopping trip.  Parochial? Me? Whatever can have given you that idea.  Smiley
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: June 28, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »

I have been rebuilding the nose of the Auster AOP9. I have felt for some while the nose was wrong and after Derek Knight put onto a newly released book on Austers and a close look at the production drawing of the aircraft a corrected side view has been drawn that extended the nose 11/16" and widened the nose by 1/2". The Warpaint drawing was used on the ninitial model and the APS plan is also short as well. The photos of the changes are attached. The CG is now at 27%. All that is needed is a trim flight before going to Sydney for the NSW Scale rally on the 7 July.
Ricky
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »

I finally managed to get out and try to trim some of my models.  Can't have folks thinkiing all I do is build hanger queens!

Pic #1 This is a small field near my house, usually it's not mowed but today it had a firebreak mowed around the edges.

Pic #2 The fleet for today. My Chieftain, Beaver, Otter and Hemiptere.

Pic #3 My second test flight of the Chieftain. Wind was 3-4mph. Flight was straight with a gentle climb under power, and a slightly steeper glide.  It it virtually impossible when flying solo to get a picture of a test flight!

Pic #4 The Otter. I think it is very tail heavy, unfortunately there was no CG on the plans, so I need to research how to determine a CG. I know I read it here somewhere.

Pic #5 The Hemiptere. By this time the breeze had grown to 55-7mph, too much for this model, so I couldn't tell anything on a test glide with 50 or so turns. Rather than risk it I headed home. The Beaver never made it out of the car.

Special thanks to Ratz for the assistance with the pictures.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: June 29, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

I spy a HWYM! You are Pete Fardell AICMFP. Smiley

Quote from: Dan Snow
... so I need to research how to determine a CG. I know I read it here somewhere.
Abl's practical method is to make up a small profile chuck glider of the model in 1/16" sheet with a minimum span of 6", i.e. big enough to fly moderately OK.  Throw it at the sofa with varying amounts of weight on its neb until you're happy with the glide path.  Balance th wings on something pointy (cocktail sticks in a vice would do) and press down.  Draw line between pin-pricks and bif, baf, bof; you have your CG.  Used it for the Horsa and it was pretty close.  Would happily use it again.

Alternatively, if you like hard sums. This, also courtesy of ABL.

Quote from: abl
...the rule of thumb used by Gordon Whitehead, which normally works:

c.g. (measured at the average chord) = average chord (in)/6 + 3 * tail area (sq in) * tail moment (in)/(8 * wing area (sq in))

Note that the tail moment is measured from 25% chord at the wing average chord to 25% chord at the stabiliser average chord.

Worked example.

Measured wing area S (sq in) = 394 sq in
Measured average chord C (in) = 9.136 in
Measured tail area s (sq in) = 89.9 sq in
measured 1/4 chord tail moment tm (in) = 20.033 in

c.g. (from C) = (C/6) + (3 * s * tm)/(8 * S)

c.g. = 9.136/6 + (3 * 89.9 * 20.033)/(8 * 394)

c.g. = 3.237 in = 82.2 mm = 35.4%

tail moment (M) = diff(acWing - acStab)

GMC = 97
S   = 47608
s   = 14848

((gmc/6) + (3sM))/8S

This works moderately well for aircraft with straight or at least not terribly swept back wings.  It was miles off for the Horsa, but that's got a markedly swept wing.

pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: June 29, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »

If you don't mind looking a bit foolish you can get a clip that goes on your hat and attach your phone.  I use voice commands and it will take picture.  Once you get it adjusted properly you only have to make sure you are looking at your plane and you will get the picture.  I attached a pic I took with this rig....it does movies nicely as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Livestream-Gear®-Smartphone-Streaming-Recording/dp/B01D22Y06W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Livestream+Gear%C2%AE+-+Backpack+Clip+Mount+with+Locking+Phone+Clamp&qid=1561838822&refinements=p_89%3ALivestream&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-1
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: July 03, 2019, 01:00:13 AM »

sJust in the process of packing for the annual trip to Sydney to the NSWFFS rally, with a rebuilt Auster AOP9,  new Widgeon, and a the Comper with a recovered wing and repaired engine. Photos of the Auster attached. More detail to be added before the UK Nationals.   
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: July 03, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »

Look forward to seeing the models and yourself at the Nats  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1582 on: July 03, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

Nice job Ricky , yes look forward to seeing at the NATS too
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1583 on: July 03, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »

The Auster looks great, Ricky. It's got a nice authentic looking army finish to it. See you at the Aug nats!
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1584 on: July 06, 2019, 12:17:04 PM »

Getting the last spar in on the Big Banana Fritter. Once that's done, it's time to tip up the tips, then cover. Added the strips to the fuselage for the wing rests. The end is finally in sight.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: July 06, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »

Today the Oxford Model Flying Club celebrated it's 50th anniversary with an afternoons flying at Begbroke followed by a very nice BBQ.

There was a static display of members models in the village hall covering almost the entire model range from drones and even micro drones ( yes drones :-) ) to RC scale, sport and vintage, Helicopters, autogyros, RTF foamies,  CL I/C and electric and free flight from competition duration models to FF scale and sport models ... oh and lots of Cloud Tramps and 3 RC flight simulators to fly !!!

Pic 1 Andy Crisps array of FF A1 and A2 gliders.. hmmm the smaller A2 gliders do look like a tempting build...

Pic 2 Alex's RC spitfire, beautifully built and IC powered

Pic 3 David Lovegrove's wonderful RC Bleriot XI, He did fly it on the field but I missed it :-(

Pic 4 Derek Knight's 'new' Gloster Gladiator,  described by Derek as a long term project - looking great, hopefully we will see that flying soon !

Pic 5 Charlie Newman's RWD 13. I managed to get a shot before he put the wings so you can see the work that went into the fuselage alone. CO2 powered and I think winner of  BMFA Nats a while back

Pic 6 My own contribution, the ff scale Hawker Tomtit and Bleriot XI. I took the Tomtit down to Port Meadow on the way home for some more trimming. The climb out looked good as did the glide but the spiral stability is still not there yet so after trying a few things first it will have to be more dihedral...

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1586 on: July 06, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »

Thanks for posting ... another real aeromodelling club  Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: July 06, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »

Your club looks like an interesting mob Chris. Nice display of models.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #1588 on: July 06, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »

Finished rebuilding the Waco after bending it on Monday - basically chopped off the rear fuselage, built a new one with the peg moved forward two bays, grafted that onto the model and re-covered it.  Took out over 3g of noseweight, the model now balances slightly nose-heavy with no ballast.  I'll probably have to go to a shorter motor though - 40" loops on 7" hook to peg distance might be a bit much...

Will trim it at Geneseo later this month.

Mike
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1589 on: July 07, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »

Finished rebuilding the Waco after bending it on Monday - basically chopped off the rear fuselage, built a new one with the peg moved forward two bays, grafted that onto the model and re-covered it. 
It buffed out nicely - can't see the join.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1590 on: July 07, 2019, 02:51:30 AM »

Finished rebuilding the Waco after bending it on Monday - basically chopped off the rear fuselage, built a new one with the peg moved forward two bays...
...can't see the join.
Yes, where's the join, and why is it all still exactly the same colour as before? You didn't follow my method at all really did you?
(Looks great!)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: July 07, 2019, 03:52:29 AM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
Pic 2 Alex's RC spitfire, beautifully built and IC powered...
It does look good, but enquiring minds need to know who is barking mad enough to build an Me 163!?  Smiley

And how well does it fly?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1592 on: July 07, 2019, 04:01:16 AM »

It does look good, but enquiring minds need to know who is barking mad enough to build an Me 163!?  Smiley

And how well does it fly?

Lurk. - It was the same builder as the Spitfire . It's electric powered and he reports its very fast and furious, probably much like the original. According to Alex, TO via a hand launch, with lots up elevator after which it wallows a bit until speed builds at which point it takes off like a scalded cat. Orientation is a problem too as the fuselage looks surprisingly symmetrical from a distance. So on balance I understand it flies very well...albeit if your eyes can keep up with it and tell which way up it is  Wink

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1593 on: July 07, 2019, 05:18:17 AM »

Mike you will need to be sent away for "retraining" - that repair is just a bit over the top. Cheesy Great job.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: July 07, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »

You didn't follow my method at all really did you?

I was originally going to repair the longerons in place, but when I saw that all the longerons and stringers had been severed at multiple points it seemed easier to build a new aft fuselage.  That said, your Fairchild certainly provided inspiration!

Cheers,

Mike
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1595 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »

Grin  worked some more on the giant p40 and rebuilt Kier's GUILLOWS STRATOSTREAK. hopefully it will work as well. these slots that you have to cut gotta be precise.

jim Grin
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: July 13, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »

Finished the wing on the Big Banana Fritter. Got it covered and the second coat of dope is drying. Nose block is begun. I'm planning to temporarily fit a plastic prop so I can get in some flights. If I waited on my building a folding balsa prop, it might not fly until next year.   Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: July 14, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com
TRIMMING FLIGHTS    Sunday July 14 2019

I took out the Bluebird for some trimming flights this morning after gluing the tail back on and letting it dry over night.   I had the best flying session yet, as I was able to do a lot of experimenting with the clay weight that I remembered to bring this time.   I had two max flights of 21 seconds, and have it trimmed out to do 12 seconds to 15 seconds of flight.  Full flight report later.   Cheesy

Pic #1     2483     Warming up on the flight line in the morning sun.
Pic #2     2498     Zooming by at the far right of the pic.
Pic #3     2500     Good height.
Pic #4     2507     Up in the sun's rays.
Pic #5     2514     Patrolling  above the Cricket Field.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1598 on: July 14, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »

Excellent!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1599 on: July 14, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »

What nice flying pics Richard! Good flights as well.

John

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79   Go Up
Print
Jump to: