Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 29, 2020, 09:04:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 102055 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1625 on: August 01, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »

Ha ha .... I'm still hoping for change in my downturn in recent years.
I'm still contemplating my "60 flying at 60" self indulgence.
I wondered if I have flown that many models in my whole modelling life ... let alone thinking of flying that many in a year!
So I made a list ... and I'm not that far off with the ones I can remember (all types of FF model .... excludes CL and RC)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1626 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »

I'll even bore you with the list!

15 secs min for scale.
Nova A2
Wichita A2
NE14T original Bostonian
NE14T russki Bostonian
Oo La La Bostonian
Kipper Bostonian
Sorta Senator Bostonian
Senator KK
Pietenpol 28"
Pietenpol peanut
Bluebottle Twizzler 20
Bluebottle Reggiane
Bluebottle Typhoon
Arado Luft46 rapier model
Firefly Rapier
Sig Cabinaire
Power Mouse
Poppet Smeed
Hanriot Malstrom
Rumball's Yard OD
SE5a Aerographics
Sopwith Triplane DPC
Merlin West Wings
TriStar Twomey
SG38 glider OD
Skylark Veron glider
Pennyplane several inc
half scale one
Indoor Chuck Gliders x 6
BMFA Dart! X 2
Catapult glider
Japaneezer Zero
Mercury Gnome
Gyminie Cricket x 2

NON qualifiers :
Fiat cr.32
Pensuti triplane
Focke Wulf fw190
Avenger Malstrom
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1627 on: August 02, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »

What was goibng to be a test flight report will instead be a repair report!  Angry

i really do know better than to do any tests other than unpowered glides in my front yard. I really do.  But in a senior moment (and yes I definitely qualify as a senior!) I took the Chieftain out and put 50 turns on it. First flight very encouraging, flat with a gentle very slight turn to the left.  Thinking about it I realized I had released it slightly nose down.

So in complete defiance of the laws of Sir Murphy, I wound in 65 turns and launched it slightly nose up!  Well of course it climbed slightly, then flattened out and had a very slight turn to .... you guessed it, To The Right.  Directly at a young 5-6' tree in our neighbor's front yard.  It impacted said tree about 3' off the ground smack in the center of the second bay out from the fuselage, popping the wing off rather neatly. (Sorry about the lack of crash scene pictures.)

After a couple of deleted expletives at myself for my dumbness, I very briefly considered stripping out the motor and wheels and giving it a Viking funeral. For a Couple of seconds anyway. Then I decided to repair it since all the bits seemed to be there.  

Pic #1 - Back in the garage with the covering off and the bits sorted. At this point I realized one spar piece was missing. Best bet was to clean up the ribs and replace the broken bits with neew.

Pic #2 - The wing and fuselage pinned down over the plans

Pic #3 - New leading edge, spars and trailing edge. Gussets added because of butt joints.

Pic #4 - Covering on.

Pic #5 - Design colored in on top of wing (The yellow will match once I apply the clear coat.

Pic #6 - Bottom of design colored.

And It's ready to fly again!!!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:11:47 PM by Dan Snow » Logged

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1628 on: August 02, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »

Not strictly aeroplane related, but close.

Was able to check the trim properly on the Luna ornithopter early this evening.  With 90 turns of 4 x 4" strands of 1/8" climbs to 20' feet or so and at power out get a nice flat glide, well, more of a float, to earth.  Didn't think to time the flights but think (hope!) they were at least 10s, may have been a bit more.  

If you build either of the Luna or Freebird I'd suggest leaving the tail angle alone until after the 1st flight and only tweaking it if necessary, because, unless I've been infernally lucky, which is unlikely, they fly pretty much straight off the board.  Have to say I am really impressed with Mr. Chronister's Freebird and Luna designs.  The only change I'd consider, especially if you have large hands, is making the crank shaft a bit longer to give you a bit more to grip when winding on turns.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 181

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1629 on: August 03, 2019, 05:19:55 AM »

That was quick Dan. Nicely done.

Lurker Industries like as though they may be going into the "Bird" business. Cheesy

John
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1630 on: August 03, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »

Got the noseblock for the Big Banana Fritter formed and tubing for the prop bearing put in and the prop shaft partly bent up. Still need to cover with tissue and dope. It was first time using my new tabletop belt/disc sander for shaping and boy, did that speed things up and it doesn't look any worse than my hand cut and sanded jobs.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1631 on: August 03, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »

Nice work Dan!   Wink    I knew you would get the colors right on that wild color scheme.    Ready to Fly!!  I know the feeling ... Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1632 on: August 03, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »

Grin  launched my CLOUD TRAMP at the appointed hour.

I'm on my way downstairs to work on the twin p40 pics in a couple of hours.

jim  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Larry R.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1633 on: August 03, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »

I spent part of the morning making trim flights on a rubber powered, all sheet balsa model, the Flying Funtique (Bill Hannan).  Nice, tall, soft grass for the most part, wind varying from 0 to 5 mph, mostly from the southwest.  The area was a bit small for general flying, but I thought I could get in some short hops.  The nice thing about the Funtique is that the wing can be moved forward and aft on the top of the simple box fuselage.  Eventually, after adding shim to the nose block, and clay to the starboard wing tip, I got some nice right turn partial circles.  Last flight was on 200 winds.  Nice climbing circle to the right...right over the fence into the next property!  Time to find a larger flying field!

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/flying-funtique-article-plans-apr-1969-aam.htm
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1634 on: August 03, 2019, 04:01:19 PM »

launched my CLOUD TRAMP at the appointed hour.

Excellent Jim.

We did our bit here too at the Oxford MFC with 11 CLOUD TRAMPS taking to the air over Port Meadow at 5pm UK time. David Lovegrove did a great job as CD and made it into a proper event which made it all the more enjoyable. Some of us put in our competition flights for the postal comp too which added an extra bit of competition.

I made an afternoon of it and did some trimming with the FF Scale PZL Wilga now fitted with a larger Redfin 049. I have to say the 049 is an impressive engine, easy starting and with more than ample power for .75 . I have mine swinging an 8" x 3" prop on Alex Phinn's advice and that suits the Wilga very well.

Very pleased with the Wilga under power but ...after further trimming I seem to have transformed the death glide into.. er a death spiral !! Undecided which is progress of a sorts. Anyway having trimmed a Bowden Meteorite with slats I think I'm now in uneven slat gap/increased drag territory which has been made more evident with increased altitude under power. After closer inspection the left wing does have a small difference in the rear slat gap so I'll rectify that before trying again. The good news is the reinforced undercarriage survived almost intact  Grin

My picture shows neither Cloud Tramps or a mass of flyers but I took it early on and spent the rest of the time flying
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1635 on: August 03, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »

Our Cloud Tramp flying has to be postponed until next week. A full gale with rain being the reason. The day was spent on painting the Auster and Comper.

Ricky
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1636 on: August 03, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »

Intended to take the repaired Chieftain out to a nearby field, but by the time we finished our necessary errands the temp was already in the 90's! Had to cancel for today as I have no tolerance to heat anymore.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1637 on: August 04, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH      CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
New Prop, New Stab, tissue on Rudder
SEVEN FLIGHTS      on      Sunday August 4 2019

I left the dog at home and I went out in the heat of the day with the Winding Stooge and the 18" Air Camper, even though it was too hot -   82 deg F (feels like 95 deg F).   The Cricket Field was in use all day since the crack of dawn, and as there was hardly any wind at all now, at  1:15  PM,   I just could not wait any longer, so I took the long walk and I went to the very back SouthEast corner Baseball Diamond Field (there are four right beside each other),  of Jackson Park, to see how it flies with the same trim, and that new orange prop,  and a new  10",  two strand,  1/8" motor.   I was out there for  2 1/2   hours, including the long walk out there, to get 7 flights and retrieves in.   There was a lot of walking to be done and I'm glad I left when I did.   The longest flight was  33 seconds on  900 stretch winds in a winding stooge.  

Pic #1     2725     I am on the "outfield" grass of the baseball field.   There is another baseball field on the other side of that fence.
Pic #2     2731     It flew right out of my baseball field and past the fence and those trees, and landed on the asphalt pavement of the bicycle lane   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   on the far side of the road -  good thing there were no cars ...   Shocked Shocked
Pic #3     2738     Flight #5   30 seconds.   The clouds are billowing.
Pic #4     2739     Flight #6   1050 winds,  20 seconds, in for a landing.

Full Flight Report later.   Smiley Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:15:40 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 181

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1638 on: August 04, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »

Nice pics Richard - the landing under power looks neat.

John
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1639 on: August 06, 2019, 10:34:02 PM »

I installed the canopies on my SB2C. I also installed the wheel wheels on the wings.
Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1640 on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »

I tried participating in the Cloud Tramp event, but once again had problems and only managed a 6 second flight. Sigh.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1641 on: August 07, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »

I now have both wings mounted on my SB2C.   Slow and steady sets the pace.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1642 on: August 07, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »

I tried participating in the Cloud Tramp event, but once again had problems and only managed a 6 second flight. Sigh.
Was that scheduled for today?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1643 on: August 08, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

Grin  worked on the twin p40.  i am putting together the nacelle and when satisfied will post on my twin p40 blog. yes i am taking into account the dihedral angle of the wing.

jim. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1644 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:52 PM »

Pic #3     2738     Flight #5   30 seconds.   The clouds are billowing.

Jeez. great pic there Lastwoods!

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1645 on: August 08, 2019, 11:48:00 PM »

Hi Crabby.   I see you are entering serious competition again   Shocked  - lookout everybody!
     Tomorrow morning is a good wind,  7 mph gusting to 11 mph,   weather forecast   Grin  , so I should be able to get to fly the "new" Air Camper in the Cricket Field with the Winding Stooge for stretch winds -  no Cricket players - and too windy in the afternoon, so it is first thing in the morning after walking the dog.   I got the tissue glued on, and two motors tied up  -    both two strand of  3/16",  (not  1/8") , one is  10"  long,   one is  12" long  (prop hook to rear peg is 6 3/4").    It is time to work up to longer flights ...   Cool

Pic #1   Forecast for Fri Aug 9 2019
Pic #2   Three new orange tissue panels on the fuse, and two motors tied up -   I still have to attach Crocket Hooks to the rubber.
pic #3     2752     All loaded up with new rubber, tissue panels are drying after spray misting ...

Should be ready to fly in the AM ....

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:13:34 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1646 on: August 09, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »

AIR CAMPER  18"  FLIGHTS

I worked late last night getting ready, and got up early today Friday Aug 9 2019.  The weather report forecast turned out to be correct, and I got my flying in before the grassmowers got to the Cricket Field.
     Inside the  18" Air Camper,  is a new  10"  two strand  3/16"  fresh rubber motor (not the  1/8" motors anymore).   Prop hook to rear peg is  6 3/4".
     These are the first flights stretch wound in a stooge with a winder,  with the new prop and rear end.    Longest flights were  34 sec,  35 sec, and 36 sec on  600 stretch winds,  675 stretch winds, and 675 stretch winds respectively.     I had some people to show off to today - two lovely   Shocked summer student female city parks workers cruised up on their  4-wheeler to see what I was doing    Huh , and ended up actually filming two great flights each   Grin   -  they were sooo impressed.   I told them "We had fun in the olden days.  We had no internet".  They glumly agreed.   I will have to ask them how the videos turned out ....   Smiley  Cheesy

Pic #1     2756     Crack of dawn on the Flight Line.   Ready to fly.
Pic #2     2777     Our setup in the Cricket Field.   Good grass!
Pic #3     2763     Very high wild flights like never before - twisting and turning and nosing over, almost straight up on initial power bursts ...
Pic #4     2769     Way up there.
Pic #5     2766     Flying right over Trapper!
Pic #6     2772     The thin green masking tape strips hold the noseblock on solidly.

Full flight report later.
Get outside and fly.   Grin Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1647 on: August 10, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »

Was that scheduled for today?

And now I'm forgetting what day it is and what thread I'm in.  Roll Eyes
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1648 on: August 11, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »

A 12" wing span Jet.
Looks huge compared to the 8. Shocked
It's headed over to the paint shop. Grin

https://youtu.be/_2Y7ZDsQWYU

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1649 on: August 12, 2019, 12:55:57 AM »

Fantastic Tony, Well done.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79   Go Up
Print
Jump to: