Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 07:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 94343 times)
Smithy64
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1700 on: August 22, 2019, 03:34:21 AM »

It's a Westwings Hart? It's a nice model and can go well
When you glue it up, I suggest you don't use those clamps because they might introduce stresses. Just let things sit together in the right place.
There is an argument for using minimal glue here. Wings this size rarely break at dihedral joints but if they do, a clean break is better than two ribs epoxied together, surrounded by broken spars

Yes it’s a Westwings Hart your correct, I was worried they will move before the glue dries if I didn’t clamp them?  The clamps are quite weak which is why I thought of using them. I have had the same advice regarding the glueing in another thread, thanks.

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1701 on: August 22, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »

Getting there slowly but you can’t rush a good thing, corrected the slightly out of line rib on one of the wings, but never got around to glueing them together.  Spent the rest of the time cutting out and starting to pin down the first lower wing.
That was what I managed to do today.

Neil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1702 on: August 23, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »

Took advantage of calm evening and spent 20 minutes or so playing with the Luna ornithopter just before sunset.

Seems to fly better outside than in  - it was not at all happy last weekend at the indoor session - and mine definitely flies better for a right hand launch, which means an anti-clockwise wind on the motor.  Not sure if it's simply due to launching with my dominant hand so more controlled or some torque effect or even a combination.

On 110 turns I get a flight that lasts for a 15 "one thousand" count, so knock off say 2s for for "enthusiasm", and gets to somewhere between 15' and 20'.  Will really have to try cranking it closer to 200, motor is theoretically good for an 80% count of 220, and see what happens.

This might amuse some of you.  Was flicking through my copy of Callon's A.B.C. of Model Aircraft Construction and found this ..

Callon, after Caton, (1952) Max TPI per strand count

1/4"

3/16"

1/8"

Compare and contrast ...

Ross (2008, 2016) Max TPI per strand count

1/4"

3/16"

1/8"

There are some enormous differences in max. turn count and in all cases the contemporary figures are higher than the 1952 figures.

A question for the more *cough* venerable members of the parish.  Was rubber strip in the 1950s less robust as seems to be indicated by the markedly lower turn counts given by Callon (Caton) compared to Ross or was strip of such variable quality that guideline tables had to be conservative about limits?

Another question that crosses my mind is how old were Caton's figures that the Rev. Callon cribbed?  Are we looking at figures for 1940s or even 1930s strip in that chart?

Can't help thinking that this is the sort of stuff that Hepcat would have been able to give us good answers to.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1703 on: August 25, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »

Flying at last. . .after what has been overall a truly dismal summer, weatherwise, I suddenly realised that I could go flying. I've lost touch rather this year. The only model to hand was this old trusty F6F. It needed a repair, and while the glue was drying I made a new motor - the old one was perished and cracked right through in places. Never mind my own rustiness; the model flew just as reliably and unfussily as ever. It did stall a bit at the end of its first flight so I tapped in the slightest touch of down elevator. This was either not needed or too much because the video flight, https://youtu.be/wz2Pmh9IOVc (840 turns), shows the model seeking the earth. It didn't even get high enough to bother the swallows which can be heard twittering above it. Never mind, it was most refreshing indeed to go flying - seems like an age. The F6F has not yet achieved the 90 second still-air duration target I set, but perhaps an opportunity will arise to really crank on the turns.

Stephen.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1704 on: August 25, 2019, 07:18:34 PM »

Grin  went from home to Montreal. took a boat ride from there to Boston and back and took a plane home.  the food was good and more importantly not what we get at home. the ports, we've been there before as we live in that part of the country.

jim Grin
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1705 on: August 26, 2019, 03:06:44 PM »

Flying at last. . .after what has been overall a truly dismal summer, weatherwise, I suddenly realised that I could go flying. I've lost touch rather this year. The only model to hand was this old trusty F6F. It needed a repair, and while the glue was drying I made a new motor - the old one was perished and cracked right through in places. Never mind my own rustiness; the model flew just as reliably and unfussily as ever. It did stall a bit at the end of its first flight so I tapped in the slightest touch of down elevator. This was either not needed or too much because the video flight, https://youtu.be/wz2Pmh9IOVc (840 turns), shows the model seeking the earth. It didn't even get high enough to bother the swallows which can be heard twittering above it. Never mind, it was most refreshing indeed to go flying - seems like an age. The F6F has not yet achieved the 90 second still-air duration target I set, but perhaps an opportunity will arise to really crank on the turns.

Stephen.

That looks great, I haven’t even finished my first build so flying is like alchemy to me. Don’t even know how you “tapped in the slightest touch of down elevator”   Shocked

Neil
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1706 on: August 26, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »

Thanks Neil. "flying. . .like alchemy"? Yes, I remember that. It still is to an extent. Anyway the answer here is easy: I build separate control surfaces in my models (as do many others). There are those who counsel against this, citing extra weight, complexity, and the likelihood of the control surface being knocked out of whack when the model lands. . .but to my mind it's much the better course. I left ailerons off this model because I was trying to retain the spirit of the original Bill Hannan design. I couldn't bear the thought of fixed rudder and elevators though. They're hinged to the fixed fin and tailplane using thin aluminium hinges from a supermarket meat tray.  There's so much help and info to absorb on this site that you can end up dizzy, but take it easy, get something in the air and try to study (and ask questions on HPA) why it's doing what it does. Good luck!

After the fog - mist - low cloud lifted by midday I tried some more F6F flights in very light but entirely variable wind. I decided to flatten the tailplane and elevators, which twist into a fantastic curl if hit by sunlight (was using vampire bats' wing membranes to cover them instead of Esaki a good idea?). The harsh steaming and rapid forced-drying procedure worked, and the model's trim was very different. I re-trimmed the model and then waited for the wind to die off in the evening. I wound on 1750 turns and let the thing go. There was still a bit of breeze and the direction was still all over the place, but luckily I got away with it.

Judging by the hectic speed of the model early on I think it's still under-elevated a whisker, and I'm glad it had such a tight turn because of limited space. So near to 90 seconds. . .I'm sure another time it'll do it. . .but back to normal weather now I believe: rain, wind etc.

Stephen.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1707 on: August 26, 2019, 03:56:18 PM »

Nearly finished completing the two lower wings of the Hawker Hart, should be able to sand them and finish them in the morning, and move on to the fuselage.

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1708 on: August 26, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

Thanks Neil. "flying. . .like alchemy"? Yes, I remember that. It still is to an extent. Anyway the answer here is easy: I build separate control surfaces in my models (as do many others). There are those who counsel against this, citing extra weight, complexity, and the likelihood of the control surface being knocked out of whack when the model lands. . .but to my mind it's much the better course. I left ailerons off this model because I was trying to retain the spirit of the original Bill Hannan design. I couldn't bear the thought of fixed rudder and elevators though. They're hinged to the fixed fin and tailplane using thin aluminium hinges from a supermarket meat tray.  There's so much help and info to absorb on this site that you can end up dizzy, but take it easy, get something in the air and try to study (and ask questions on HPA) why it's doing what it does. Good luck!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen for the explanation and the encouragement I need to remember to learn to walk before I fly  Grin

Neil
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1709 on: August 27, 2019, 04:19:34 AM »

"flying. . .like alchemy"?

....I wound on 1750 turns and let the thing go. ...

Gawwgeous  Cool You're a wizard Prosper  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1710 on: August 27, 2019, 04:23:32 AM »

He is indeed a wizard!  Most enjoyable  Smiley
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1711 on: August 28, 2019, 07:15:11 AM »

Fanks Jon and Jon Smiley. The Hellcat is naturally a superb subject for FF scale. You could (cough) hardly call it a looker, but it has all the ingredients for a top flier.

Stephen.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1712 on: August 28, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »

I got up at  3:00  AM,  and had to try water mist shrinking of the tissue, of the finished (almost),  20" wing of the VMC Osprey Glider.    Here is the end result after misting,  and after two coats of Krylon Clear Gloss rattle can.

Pic #1     2930     The tissue is saggy and wet after being water misted.   The wing sits in a makeshift jig to dry.

This is the final result after misting the tissue with water,  and sealing the tissue with Krylon Clear Gloss rattle can.

Pic #2     2947     Completed upper wing.
Pic #3     2948     Completed lower wing.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1713 on: August 29, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »

Looking good lastwoodsman

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1714 on: August 29, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »

I finished these jigs today ready to glue my wings up for the Hawker Hart.

Neil
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1715 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:53 PM »

Hi Smithy64.   Nothing wrong with nice, solid jigs.  Wink   Those wing frames look pretty nice too.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1716 on: August 29, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »

Hi Smithy64.   Nothing wrong with nice, solid jigs.  Wink   Those wing frames look pretty nice too.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Thanks, my first build, some small errors but nothing drastic so far, and learning from the mistakes  Roll Eyes

Neil
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1717 on: August 31, 2019, 02:28:52 AM »

Nice work Smithy.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1718 on: August 31, 2019, 03:29:58 AM »

Nice work Smithy.

John

Thanks John it’s been fun so far

Neil
MrTin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1719 on: August 31, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »

Repositioned the servo carriers in my DB Mascot trainer as I couldn't get my Futaba servos in. Then found I couldn't get 3 servos abreast as was originally in it (somehow) so put the engine servo forward and in its own carrier. Re-laid the engine pushrod snake to take some stiffness out of it.  I bought this bird for £15 including tank and pushrods, so can't complain.
Also got my Enya 35 installed. Now waiting for screw on connector for the carb linkage. Then I'll be ready to install Rx. and battery pack (Eneloops) and finally try to fly the old girl.
Also got my foam glider ready to get a chap at the club tomorrow to attempt to find the C of G on this swept wing mystery ship. I thought I had it, but its only powered flight took it as far down as along with a few breakages.

I have also cleared the garden, hung out the washing and prepared dinner. It's not all playtime at Tin Towers!

MrTin
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1720 on: September 01, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »

Wow Mr Tin I understood about 25% of that but it sounds impressive  Shocked

Myself I finally started the fuselage of the Hawker Hart, should have started with it according to the plan but I never liked being told what to do. Spent all day, glued a few stringers, watched the cycling while they set, glued some stringers, watched some cycling, repeat. Enjoyable day.

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1721 on: September 03, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »

Completed the right side of the fuselage of the Hawker Hart today, not without its challenges, I could point out about 20 things I would improve on next time, but I’m quite happy with it. It needs sanding before the next pieces are added.

Neil
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1722 on: September 03, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »

That is a nice piece of work.

Lurk.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1723 on: September 03, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »

That is a nice piece of work.

Lurk.

Thanks, all I can see are the mistakes Grin but I’m still happy with it. I’ve learnt a lot  Grin

Neil
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1724 on: September 03, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »

Not sure if this counts as aeroplane-wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Ua48P-ATA
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74   Go Up
Print