Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 21, 2020, 01:23:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 101683 times)
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1825 on: September 19, 2019, 01:09:13 AM »

have you flown it with the pendulum "locked out"?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:34:00 AM by Indoorflyer » Logged
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1826 on: September 19, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »

I have now! And it does much the same thing! So it's just tip-stalling all along. I'm surprised because f'ra start I wasn't expecting tip-stalling and second because the model was doing this under all conditions of flight, not just near the stall. I now think that the first tip-stall would set the ailerons off and they'd just keep correcting, and due to inertia, lag etc as discussed above, the motion couldn't damp out.

It doesn't surprise me that the model can fly without a pendulum (in light breezes). It was a toss-up whether to include them. I'd build many another high-winger with almost no dihedral and not think of a pendulum, but this particular airframe made me think pendulum ailerons were advisable.

The next issue is that it's considerably underpowered. That doesn't surprise me either - this is a much bigger model than my first direct-drive supercap model. It has a lower wingloading though, and I was hoping that would do the trick, but it looks like this model couldn't get much over 20 seconds as it stands. I think it's back-burner time for this baby.

Stephen.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #1827 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

Finished up a new set of props for the 15" Megow Skyrocket.  P/D 1.4, 4.5" dia, carved following a Don Deloach prop block diagram from the September 2008 Flying Models magazine.

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Smithy64
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1828 on: September 19, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »

Finished up a new set of props for the 15" Megow Skyrocket.  P/D 1.4, 4.5" dia, carved following a Don Deloach prop block diagram from the September 2008 Flying Models magazine.

Mike

Wow looks really great nice job

Neil
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1829 on: September 19, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »

Thanks Neil - we'll see if I can get more than 20 seconds out of it with the new props.  I'm going to have to try to tame the warps in the fins a bit before flying it...

Mike
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #1830 on: September 19, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »

Fixed my tx yesterday. It had swallowed a switch and also had a couple of washers running around inside. Why don't they put loctite or lockwashers on those funny little nuts that hold the switches in place? Fortunately, I have a dead JR that I can steal the nuts from.

Today I went to the field, but it was full of teenagers fixing to play ultimate. So I went to another field which was deserted. Actually managed to find a bunch of good lift with my Elf DLG, even at 4:30 in the afternoon. I guess that's not a complete surprise, since I had a rocket glider fly OOS there once at around 6 or 7 in the evening. Only rocket glider I ever made, and I got only 1 or 2 flights out of it once I had it properly trimmed.

The Elf needs a couple of repairs due to wear and tear; maybe I'll do them tonight.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1831 on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »

I went for a long walk with my dog today in the midday heat, and I thought about getting the right sized straw, to extend the ballast hole, in the nose block, of my  20"  Osprey glider, while we were out to the Butterfly meadows.  There are not too many Monarchs left, as the second big flight of about  160  butterflies have now also flown South,  but I have some pics from them to post before they left.   The first big flight was about 200, and they flew away, and this second one was about 160  for a total of about  360.    Last year  500 came down at once, and they all few away after feeding for 5 straight days.
      The last few nights we have seen one, or two , or none - only straggler Monarch left now.  Today in the heat we saw about 6 Monarchs.  Whites and Sulfurs are still common.  I got these following pics of two of these feeding Monarchs up close, and and for the first time, now feeding on these blue-violet New England Asters  (tall, with deep purple flowers), which have bright yellow center disc flowers, and purple outer ray flowers (often mistaken for petals).    It is a star-like multi-petaled flower, which  is actually a compact cluster, called a "flowerhead".

Pic #1     3404     Flying Monarch in the lower right corner.
Pic #2     3410     A deep orange in the shade.
Pic #3     3411     Underside view with one wing half open.
Pic #4     3413     These are the two that just kept feeding, while I blended in up close, for these pics.
Pic #5     3415     Some of the yellow discs are fading.
Pic #6     3414     Closeup.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1832 on: October 04, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »

I've been using the same "temporary" indoor winding stooge for about 15 years now .... so today I made new one to trial.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1833 on: October 04, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

Russ,
        What caused this to happen or was it getting around to it. It looks to be a neat job ready for all the models you about to finish. look forward to seeing it in action. We are off to our annual event at the large (Bushfield) sized hall in Morrinsville tomorrow to fly Hangar Rat and scale classes.
Ricky
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1834 on: October 04, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »

Ricky,
The old one did the job to a great extent ... will probably still use it. I've machined half a dozen to tell the truth. That way I don't mind hacking them about to suit as many models as possible. Hoping that it might do for pistachio up to small 1:20 models. I also finished this yesterday:
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1835 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »

You perhaps saw these, but a few years ago I made 3 of these rather over the top solid oak stooges? I just use my birch ply version mainly though, if I'm honest.
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1836 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »

Russ,
       You are clearly a man of many talentsIs that going to be a trophy or is it a work of art. I have a weakness for laminated props; they are so visually satisfying.
Ricky
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1837 on: October 04, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »

Really nice laminated props FFM. Your stooges look neat as well although the outdoor one looks like a character from an animated cartoon.
John.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1838 on: October 05, 2019, 04:50:28 AM »

Thanks both.

Ricky ... they are all earmarked for models. I have a glass cabinet at work where I keep stuff dust free. I thought that while they are waiting for their aircraft I would use them as a display of my craft work ... its surprising over the years how many aeromodellers have visited the centre. Saying that, I have produced over 40 laminated props now so I certainly have reserves! The large one is 1:16 Sopwith type.
I have the Radek Gregosky (sp?) plans for an Albatros II that keeps tempting me ... very sophisticated construction that I might have to simplify down to my skill set! ... he is some builder!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1839 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:40 AM »

Nice work, Russ! By way of comparison, here is my own stooge next to yours. They are very similar but if you look really closely you may discern a small difference in the level of workmanship.

My problem is that I resent the valuable modelling time taken up making the sundry items like stooges, model boxes etc. so maybe don’t always take as much care as I should in their construction.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1840 on: October 05, 2019, 06:19:57 AM »

It does the job though Pete .... remember that for stuff like this I do have access to CNC machinery!
I must admit that I have taken the opposite tack with a couple of purpose built boxes lately ... if I make them strong enough to stack I'm hoping that it will open up space for me to make up models. I'm still sliding sideways into my workplace like a crab!
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1841 on: October 05, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

We don't seem to have a random aeronautical oddments thread so I'll just leave this ....

https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/17948924.fighter-jet-engine-auction-gloucestershire/

... here and we can all dream about the perfect build for it. Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1842 on: October 05, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »

Eww gross Pete Tongue you gotta up your game....

The Threadkiller!
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1843 on: October 06, 2019, 05:39:19 AM »

A most satisfactory day flying at Morrinsville even if the turnout was qute small due to other commitments for a number of regulars. Photos to follow. I manged to part my Hangar Rat behind a basketball scoreboard when it slid down the wall. There was no access from below so it will have to wait until there is a need to service the unit. Pity as it was in target for my best flight. Also the prop seems to be the best one of the four I have.
Top HR flight was 3:53.
Ricky   
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1844 on: October 06, 2019, 11:34:59 PM »

Flew the Megow Skyrocket with the new props today.  Flights were brief, often spectacular, and a lot of fun!  Video at: 
https://youtu.be/4tI1PMjw6G0

Mike
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #1845 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:53 AM »

Yes - as you say ...... but nonetheless less quiet an achievement!   Dare I say that it might be little over propped?
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1846 on: October 07, 2019, 05:03:10 AM »

Magnificent model, thank you for sharing it with us!

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1847 on: October 07, 2019, 05:20:41 AM »

Very nice flights Mike.  Any idea what caused the 'nose in' at the end of the second flight?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1848 on: October 07, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »

A lively little model .... but at 15" span it's perhaps to be expected. I wondered how much it can be 'calmed down' without stalling or dropping a wing?
Great model  Smiley
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1849 on: October 07, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »

Watched the video and I agree the model is rather lively. Don't know anything about twins but I am curious about the wing loading.

Still pictures look nice.

Paul
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79   Go Up
Print
Jump to: