Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 04:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98480 times)
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1875 on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:01 AM »

Quicky for Open Rubber at Nijmegen

Scibor-Rylski RS-III.  Depending on what you read apparently the last aircraft to fly in Poland prior to the German arrival.

1/20 scale: only 15" span but only 15g including prop but no rubber. Balances mid way between the spar and LE with no ballast and with a forward peg the rubber won't move the CG back much.

First try for Vallejo Air pre-mixed airbrush acrylic (in this case 'aged white'): they work well, have virtually no odour and unlike Tamiya acrylic they brush without dragging.

The control surface shading is 6B pencil and Frogtape masks: it's more subtle then it appears in the photos.

Pic of full size included to prove it isn't a Bostonian!  The apparent stripe on the fin is a low sun angle shadow of the wing: took me a while to suss that.... Wink
That's a charismatic little airplane. Where did you find the documentation and/or plan? Seems like it would make a good dime scale.

-------------

Saturday, I flew what might be a 3/4 sized Wakefield built by Fritz Bien, a club member who passed away a couple of years ago. I can't compete with a model like this, but I feel like it deserves to fly more. It needs a few tweaks, but shows potential. Especially considering I was using hand winds because I couldn't find my stooge. The model looks kind of like a Flying Cloud, except the fuselage is oriented vertical and horizontal instead of diagonal the way the Flying Cloud is. Anyone know what it might be?

Sunday, I boxed up a few of his old kits to send to people who were interested. Most of the proceeds to go to his widow. I kind of hate making boxes. It's so tedious. I wonder  if there's someplace I could get suitable boxes cheap. UPS wanted $10 a box! Or maybe I can figure out how to make them faster. Most of the kits will go to someone who works with middle school kids or for contest prizes.

For the curious:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdjdpmiltn1fhx7/AABvY6f81nTzuycVJdFZQUdja?dl=0

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1876 on: October 28, 2019, 11:03:35 PM »

The new props for the Tigercat work well!
I was interested to see the large relative size of the props that a twin can handle! One of those props would have been a trimming exercise on a single! Obviously the contra rotating props( outwards at the top?) help. what was the reason for going for a P/D of 1.4 as I imagine the plastic props were lower?Longer cruise?

Nice weeds on the farm Smiley

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1877 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »

what was the reason for going for a P/D of 1.4 as I imagine the plastic props were lower?Longer cruise?

John

I wanted less drag during glide and slower prop rotation for a longer cruise, thus the high pitch.  The plastic props were about 1:1 and with them the model would just about stop in midair when the power ran out (on the few occasions where it flew out the turns).  I went with a slightly narrow blade (12% of diameter) in an attempt to keep the power requirement for the larger props in check.  Seems to have worked out well...

Mike
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #1878 on: October 31, 2019, 05:06:10 AM »

I built wings for the Cadet Major fuselage which I inherited. This design has a unique fuselage which has a rectangular cross-section upfront, which changes to a triangular cross-section aft of the wing. The fuselage was exquisitely built by our honorary club member Sherman Gillespie, so despite my promise to myself that I wasn't going to fly models built by others, I couldn't pass this one up. Plus I'm a sucker for those oddball designs Smiley. I'm trying to get it ready by Saturday when we have the last meet of the year.

--Ates
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1879 on: October 31, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »

Ates, I'll try to make it out to the meet. The weather forecast is for 4-6mph winds.  I'll be driving a dark brown F-150. Might even gring a model or two to finally get them in the air.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1880 on: November 01, 2019, 03:23:18 AM »

Thanks for that Mike. The props are definitely working well.

John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1881 on: November 01, 2019, 03:25:13 AM »

I see that you are using your home built balsa plane on the TE of that nice wing Ates.

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1882 on: November 01, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »

Finally got around to breaking up the first attempt at the Horsa fuselage.   Tidy off the rough edges and it can go in the box of handy offcuts.  I'll get around to the wrecked one in due course.
atesus
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1883 on: November 01, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »

I see that you are using your home built balsa plane on the TE of that nice wing Ates.

John

Good eye! Yes, it's a piece of art made by Bruce Kimball. I picked up one when he brought them to Lost Hills a couple years ago.

Best,
Ates
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1884 on: November 01, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »

From a couple weeks ago.  The first big thermal moving through Rd 7 at the Kokotu Cup at Lost Hills, CA.  Lot's of F1B's in the air with the sound track provided by F1C's at the end of the flightline.

https://youtu.be/b_Pb9SMpcSM

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #1885 on: November 01, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »

First image,,,

Trapper is making me laugh...

Made my day..

Cheers

AIR CAMPER  18"  Dumas kit

After our rejuvenating walk in the woods in the late afternoon (the Monarch butterflies are back),  the wind was only  4 mph gusting to 6 mph.    You know what that means ..... off we went to the Cricket Field flying with the  18" Air Camper ...  The new untested  motor is a  14" long,   two strand motor of new  1/8"  rubber (prop hook to rear peg is 6 3/4").
     We got in seven beautiful perfect flights  Cheesy  , except for the one that hit the tree  Huh  ,  we got 14 pics, and the two best flights were 40 seconds each on 825 and 900 stretch winds in a Winding Stooge  .   Here is the best 6 pics.  Full Flight Report later.
     Talk about perfect flights using the whole Cricket Field!!    Grin   Long retrieves too.

Pic #1     3172     The walk out through Jackson Park -  4 mph wind on the flag.
Pic #2     3176     The sun is going down, and the clouds are clearing.
Pic #3     3178     Two little kids running out chasing after the slow flying plane.
Pic #4     3179     Really using the whole field.   Little kid running.
Pic #5     3180     It keeps going and going, just like the Energizer Bunny, floating into the wind.  Little kids are stopped and looking straight up.
Pic #6     3184     Here we go  -  the reason why I like the translucent tissue covering.   Grin

LAASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #1886 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »

From a couple weeks ago.  The first big thermal moving through Rd 7 at the Kokotu Cup at Lost Hills, CA.  Lot's of F1B's in the air with the sound track provided by F1C's at the end of the flightline.

https://youtu.be/b_Pb9SMpcSM

Visually, that's beautiful. How high do they get in still air? OTOH, the sound reminds me of the silly little horns the Shriner's had at Fenway, years ago.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1887 on: November 03, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »

Sorry I don't have pictures, but I actually did some flying today!
SGMA was holding their Fall Event so I went out to meet Atesh and see what was happening. And, I took a few planes with me and did some test flights off to the side.

First up was my Berkeley Models Chieftain. What a sweet flying airplane. With only 200 winds I got two 25+ second flights.

Second was the Dumas 30" Beaver. This was only my second build, and came in at a rather portly 84 grams.200 winds only resulted in a sort of flat flight of a few seconds. Not sure where to go with it.

Next I tried the DPC models Fokker DVIII. I hand wound about 100 turns and released it into the 4-5mph breeze and it shot striaght up about 5-6' hovered a second and started to drop so I reached out and caught it. Gonna need to recheck the balance on it!

Put it away and pulled out the McDonnell Doodlebug. One test at 100 winds showed this draggy plane needs two things: More Power, and to be flown indoors. The landing gear struts are way too fragile. 4 strands of 3/32" and 6" prop.

Last attempt was with the Mauboussin Hemeptere. 2 strands of 3/32" on a 6" prop. 16" wingspan. 350 winds gave a flat gentle sinking flight of perhaps 30-40 feet. RPM's seemed low making me think I need either more rubber or smaller prop. Thoughts?

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
atesus
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1888 on: November 04, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »

It was great to meet Dan (Dan Snow on HPA) at the SGMA Fall Contest in Rancho Cordova.

I did a lot of test flying on Saturday. It was a beautiful day with gentle breezes throughout, ideal for test flying including two maidens. Here's a short video of the Cadet Major maiden, she holds a lot of promise. I have to rebuild the wings though, with reworked rib patterns, as the trailing edge with the less than accurate rib patterns on the plans ended up being weak and warped significantly. Luckily both wingtips ended up getting about the same amount of -excessive- washout, so I decided to fly her anyways. Since I had not yet installed a DT, I used a weak motor and low turn counts.

https://youtu.be/e-xHWC4sMZg

I also test flew my Tsh-3 to see it's general tendencies prior to detailing it. I'm was pleased with that model too, a short video of the last two powered trim flights is below.

https://youtu.be/N7opcJ4WBnY

Best,
--Ates
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:57:41 PM by atesus » Logged
CajunFokker124
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1889 on: November 04, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »

Flew my Easy Built IMP for the first time friday afternoon!!!!

Took a few flights to get trimmed.

Upped the stock rubber size. Little tip weight. Shim the wing a touch.

Average flight time between 20-35 seconds.

My first ever FF kit I built for flying. I love it.

Have 3 videos I need to edit and will upload for viewing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Hoorah for ze next man that die!!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1890 on: November 05, 2019, 05:26:01 AM »

Nice flights with your models Artesus. The Cadet Major looks like it hooked weak thermals on every flight and it has a beautiful glide. your TSH-3 looks interesting as well and flies well.

Good luck with your models Dan.

I decided o try trammel sanding the intermediate diagonal ribs in this wing using the tip ribs as a template. blank diagonals were glued in and the glued up frame minus spar was stuck down on 2 span wise strips of double sided tape. The end ribs were protected with a strip of masking tape which was also used to brace the ribs while sanding. it was done in 3 stages - back half, front half and then blending the 2 sections.

It worked very well. I had to pry the finished wing off the DS tape very carefully using a long balsa wedge.

While it was taped to the board I cut the spar slot for the 1/16 spars using a straight edge and 2 hacksaw blades (32tpi) - cutting backwards as I find it works better with balsa and glued the spar in.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1891 on: November 09, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »

Finished up the bones for the Windindicator, a sport Bostonian by James Longstreth published in the June 1994 Flying Models.  I'm building it mostly for fun flying, but it fits the rules for FAC Embryo so I'll probably fly it for that too.  Might be a personal record - bones came together in a week.

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1892 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »

That's fast Mike! Did it include that nice prop as well? Is that meant to be a rudder at the back of the fuse? Very nice.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1893 on: November 09, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »

Thanks John - I carved the prop yesterday.  Used a different block template, not sure I like it as well as the one I used for the Tigercat prop.  The hub section looks too deep.  We'll see how it works...

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1894 on: November 10, 2019, 06:53:20 PM »

Yes I see what you mean -interesting sheeted nose section too Mike.

John
CajunFokker124
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1895 on: November 13, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »

Heres a couple videos of my Easy Built IMP I finished a while back.

Forgive me for the side view recording of one of the videos.

https://youtu.be/S3YGvi2CGIo

https://youtu.be/feKpKn64Bq8

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"Hoorah for ze next man that die!!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1896 on: November 13, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »

Nice flights.
John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1897 on: November 14, 2019, 01:06:52 AM »

I received an invite from Unley Library to display some Indoor models in their glass case. They are on display now for a month and the highlight will be a Flying demonstration in a fortnight.
   They have a town hall attached to the Library I can use that is a bit smaller than a basketball court, the idea is to bring along a bunch of Hanger Rats and let folks have a try. I will knock up a few HR kits and you never know their just might be someone that is interested.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1898 on: November 14, 2019, 03:10:21 AM »

Interesting display Dave - nice models covering rubber and electric.
I hope your Hanger Rat demo goes down well - good idea to let spectators have a go.
I have flown Hanger Rats over the audience at Air League presentation and information nights. By some stroke of luck I was able to get it circling over the heads of the seated audience. Adults and children enjoyed watching it pass about 3' above their heads at it's slow leisurely pace.

John

MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1899 on: November 17, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »

Finished up the Windindicator today.  What a fun build, can't wait to fly it.

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: