Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2020, 01:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 117040 times)
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 104

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2275 on: July 31, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »

Thanks Ricky and Bill.  Bill, the prop is laid out based on a Don DeLoach formula and blank given in his prop-carving article from the Sep 2008 Flying Models.  I calculated the width and thickness for a 6", 1.4 P/D prop with a 12% blade width using Don's formula, then resized the blank drawing to match the calculated dimensions.   This is pretty much the same prop I used on the Wicko, just a smaller diameter.  Hopefully it won't be to much pitch for the model.

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2276 on: July 31, 2020, 06:56:10 PM »

Very nice Mike - the trousers really set it off. Interesting point Bill re the prop area. It would be easy to do looking at the prop blank layout.

John
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2277 on: August 02, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »

Finishing up a new Cloud Hobo (AKA modified Cloud Tramp) due to my poor showing (again) in the yearly Charles Grant Memorial Flight. I had made a new wing since last year, but flights were still disappointing. I suspect the old one is just too heavy and I think I don't have enough up elevator built in. So, on to a new one.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #2278 on: August 03, 2020, 09:23:34 PM »

I am tracing out the parts for a Guillow Fokker D7 in Inkscape for laser cutting.  Has anyone here built one of these?  I am doing a few things to lighten it up with fuselage formers.  I may add some lightening to the tail section as well..  I wanted to have a go at building a biplane and just picked one of the discontinued Guillow versions.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2279 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »

Tinkering with my VMC Osprey to see if I could reduce the AUW by providing a proper ballast chamber instead of the rolled acetate tube bodge I used when I built it.

- Most of the old ballast removed. Some left in the NB, it will be needed so leave it in as far forward as possible,
- Ballast Chamber fitted
- Tail dowels removed, empennage now glued in place.

Initial trimmed weight is now 22.2g a reduction of some 2.4g on the previous arrangement.  Expect I'll need to add a touch more weight when it comes to glide testing, but should still come out ahead.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #2280 on: August 09, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »

I went to the Memorial Garden beside St Mary’s Church in Beverley today. I’ve walked past the gates many times but never been in.  The big WW1 memorial has 4 stone figures, each holding a symbolic bronze object to commemorate different fields of sacrifice: a snake staff for the medics, a tank for the Army, a battleship for the Navy, and for the airmen... I expected a generic biplane but on close inspection it’s clearly a Sopwith Dolphin. An interesting selection I thought.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2281 on: August 10, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »

I had some time today to reevaluate my tracings for making cut files for my craft cutter.  I learned how to separate the tracing into layers so I could cut all the cross grain separate from the with the grain cuts.  This made for sharper corners.  My cutter blades won't go thru 1/16" but it is close enough where you just have to make quick cut to release.  The parts I made are for a Comet Flyboy/Guillow Cloudbuster?  I downsized it for a 5" prop assembly I have for stick fuselage.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2282 on: August 16, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »

Removed the tail weight from the Ju87, huzzah!, repaired the damage, *sigh*, and got the fin & rudder built for my VMC Bird Dog.  As far as I can see this'll be the only deviation from the kit.  The rest of the construction is intended to be, "out of the box".  

Unusually for a VMC kit the light wood is not all that light, but I'm going to go with it as is.  I'm (very idly) wondering if this might be an issue with VMC's first run kits because I remember Dan Mellor grumbling about the same issue for his (stalled? abandoned?) VMC kit based King's Cup Hurricane.  IIRC Dan's kit was an early kit and my Bird Dog is (probably) first run as it was bought within a week or two of it being available.  Not been a problem I've encountered with other VMC kits, inc. the Hurricane.
egejce
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #2283 on: August 17, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »

My helper putting finishing touches on the 2m glider.

Actually the wings on this plane ware classical construction carbon spare and ribs with carbon thread over them, covered with oracover like the tail and fin.
The plane was wary light around 550 grams but the wings ware weak at torsion. So after high speed loop it went in a spiral to the ground.
I fixed everything and covered the wing in 1mm balsa. Now it weights around 700 grams. Steel haven't had time to fly it.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2284 on: August 17, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »

Interesting choice of plane on the memorial Pete. I would have expected say a Camel or SE5A as perhaps a bit more representative.

Nice work Lurk .

Your helper has done a good job on that model EG.  Smiley

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2285 on: August 18, 2020, 09:53:46 AM »

The Dolphin maybe either chosen as a nod to the RNAS side of things, or because its reverse stagger worked better in the overall composition.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2286 on: August 18, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »

I have been making the parts to build a Guillow Fokker D7.  I was going to try to do it all with my craft cutter but it just doesn't do very well at making notches.  I tried everything and it just wasn't working.  I decided the fuselage parts with a lot of notches I would use my laser.  I spent some time an effort dialing in the focal distance and focus.  The fuselage frames were done on a bit harder balsa than I usually use but they came out really nice.  I included some pictures of the wing and fuse parts that I did with a Sizzix craft cutter
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2287 on: August 19, 2020, 07:43:57 AM »

I went to the Memorial Garden beside St Mary’s Church in Beverley today. I’ve walked past the gates many times but never been in.  The big WW1 memorial has 4 stone figures, each holding a symbolic bronze object to commemorate different fields of sacrifice: a snake staff for the medics, a tank for the Army, a battleship for the Navy, and for the airmen... I expected a generic biplane but on close inspection it’s clearly a Sopwith Dolphin. An interesting selection I thought.

I too like visiting memorial gardens and some of the memorials are really worth seeing.

Yes as you say the Dolphin is a slightly odd choice as not the first WW1 aircraft to come to mind. I take it that none of the other models are as obvious replicas of a particular ship r tank?  The Snake and staff are an obvious choice of course.  

It could be any bodies guess as to why a Dolphin - from perhaps the first picture that came up when the artist was looking for an aeroplane or perhaps he/she had a “connection” with Dolphins. It might be fun to enquire of the local archivist perhaps as I have found this can often produce a result.   Also research can often lead one down interesting roads.  

I wonder what curiosity the grave of Gibson’s dog willarouse in years to come?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2288 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »

The Dolphin maybe either chosen as a nod to the RNAS side of things, or because its reverse stagger worked better in the overall composition.
Or maybe the Dolphin was simply the last RAF fighter to see action that didn’t then carry on in postwar service?
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2289 on: August 19, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »

..... it could just be down to needing less struts?
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2290 on: August 19, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »

Quote from: DavidJP
...perhaps the first picture that came up when the artist was looking for an aeroplane or perhaps he/she had a “connection” with Dolphins. It might be fun to enquire of the local archivist...
IWM gives Richard Henry Whiteing (sic) FSA & Vincant Hill ARCA as sculptor and architect.   Couldn't find out anything about either to indicate any RNAS, RFC/RAF connection.  Anyone know if there was an RNAS or RFC/RAF station near Beverley during WWI?  If there was, it may be that they flew Dolphins.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2291 on: August 19, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »

Thanks for digging, Lurks. Yes, there was a wartime airfield on Beverley Westwood nearby. It’s where the racecourse is now. 47 Squadron RFC had Bristol Scouts, BE2s and FK3s there in 1916, and later in the war it was used by various training squadrons for training Canadians and others before they went to France. I’ve got this book with quite a bit of info and there’s also an info board near the memorial itself. Quite a few aircraft types mentioned, but not Dolphins!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:09:53 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2292 on: August 19, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

FLIGHT REPORT  #8       OSPREY GLIDER   20 INCH        WED AUG 19 2020

HIGH START TOW LINE FLYING

Well,  I finally got the 20" Osprey glider coming off of the tow hook perfectly,  Grin Grin  and way up high,  and slipping off easily, way on high,  after a short little second or two,  pause.   Then it became a  lesson in trying to aim the Osprey straight into the ever changing wind speed and direction.    I had it 'kite' into the ground,  and the 'pitch',  going to the left,  and kiting twice from bad angle launches into the wind.   The Osprey always turned left in the glide,  for about 1/4 circle flights of 6 seconds, as a standard ( a standard flight for me is three in a row,  the same).   I treed it twice, got them down, but the second one caused twig spear damage.   I got in 15 flights and the longest flight was  18  sec.    I started with a stretch of ten paces (yards) and increased it to 20 yards, and cut it back to ten yards at the end,  in order to keep the glider lower upon release of the tow hook.   I got nine good in flight pics!   And I took 30 pics overall.   It was a great flying session.   Cheesy Cheesy   The sun and clouds were very photogenic,  with lush greenery for a background.   And the grass was really quite good for late August (they will probably cut it tomorrow).   This is about as good as it gets for me for small park flying.  Smiley  I will be now be doing more flying ...  and experimenting.   Here are some pic highlights.    What great fun flying when you have it all figured out   Shocked  -  the key is to use the softer  1/16"  rubber for this  20"  inch glider,    not  1/8"  or  3/32"  rubber,   but use the 1/16"  rubber for a slow climb to the top,  and a nice release at the top,  right into its glide slope angle of attack  -   and no stalling whatsoever.    The Tow Line was  25 feet of 1/16" rubber,  and 18 feet of line.    It flew well using either 10 or 20 steps to stretch the rubber.   Full Flight Report to follow.     Incidence on the wing is one to one and one half degrees, (it would most likely fly fine with this smaller softer rubber, at the plan's wing incidence of  3 degrees though),  all is balanced to plan CofG,    and the towhook position on fuse, is as per the plan.

Pic #1     6386     The towline is still in the air - lower left.
Pic #2     6388     One more.
Pic #3     6390     And another.
Pic #4     6392     Very high release,  and going into the left turn.
Pic #5     6396     Nice glide way out there,  ribbon in air.
Pic #6     6400     One full circle and lands in front of me.

All that work   Roll Eyes   finally paid off !!     Cool
Get out and fly!   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2293 on: August 19, 2020, 03:25:43 PM »

That's more like it. Smiley
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #2294 on: August 19, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »

I got up at 6:30 this morning intending to go to the OFFC meeting and flying session (outdoors and with masks) but my wife had some gardening to do and she needed assistance.  I didn't get to Stonehurst until 10 which was a bit iffy since the high temperature was predicted to be 107 (F of course).  When I got there only two other fliers were still there, one flying cat gliders and the other a small electric RC foamy.  The breeze was coming up but I set  up my table and chair under the trees anyway.  The other two fliers decided to retreat to home and air conditioning.  When they left  the breeze stopped.  Clear sky and dead air, what a perfect day to fly.  

Anticipating a breeze would come up by my late arrival I only brought my simplified models because they have good penetration.  I decided to fly the Double Trouble  and it flew beautifully getting a few one minute flights on about 800 turns and just heavy enough to dump the thermals.  I sat down at my table to set up my Plain Plane when I started to sweat a bit.  I checked my phone which will tell me temperature and humidity.  92 degrees and 50% humidity...Humm?  I Googled Heat Index Calculator on my phone and entered the figures.  That gave a heat index of 102 (F)...in the shade!...dangerous for someone my age.  I packed up and made my own retreat to home and air conditioning.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2295 on: August 19, 2020, 06:04:57 PM »

Today I braved a visit to my shed .... wasps have nested in it and it's the first time since that the number of wasps inside has dropped to just a few. Hardly any have made it out and most lay dead in a mass under the windows. There must be an exterior part of the nest if the numbers of wasps buzzing around is anything to go by.
Another delay in getting production rolling again, but I did get some Tamiya thinner this afternoon! .... first I have found in stock since lockdown started.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #2296 on: August 19, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »

Russ,

I hope that the wasps have not made their nest put of your Esaki.

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2297 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »

Good on you Richard. A good reward for your persistence! It's a pity that you don't have a little more space so you could enjoy longer flights.

What a nice flying field KF - bad luck about the heat!

Wasps! - Do they like the smell of dope and glue?

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2298 on: August 20, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »

Re: OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit,  FLIGHT REPORT  #8,   WED AUG 19 2020.

Thanks Lurker.   Smiley   That sure does seem to be more like it.   Now I am going to have to make up a little Trophy     Shocked   ....  "The Cricket Wicket Open Nationals"  .....   for those who dare to show up to fly in small fields, out of doors.  Grin

Thanks John.     It would be nice someday Undecided  to get to a huge field,  preferably with an old master Free Flight flyer,  and really let one go.    But,  I am quite happy being relegated, to the convenience and good availability, of my small park flying field with my dog.   And it is way cheaper than long drives and memberships to  r/c clubs way out in the County,  that you just cannot get to, on the spur of the moment,  when the wind stops ...   I can't even bear to go test gliding a model in the park with out Trapper.

The other addictive thing, about this hobby, is the photography end of it,  and trying to become a real photographer,  and trying to capture the best in flight digital images, replete with action shots and background flora and fauna and sun and cloud,  compositions.   I always take a lot of pics, even check them over and over til I get the pic just right -   I am a recent convert to a digital camera from a film camera.    It is all free digitally, and instant to look at.   The downfall is that the digital camera takes a second or two to capture the image, as you hold the button down.

And many thanks to the generous member on this forum, who donated this  1/16"  rubber that worked really great!!   Smiley   I have some free extra  3/32"  rubber if anyone desperately needs some -  it should arrive in 4 mailing days.   Just send me a PM.

Pic #1     4344   The Osprey has faded in color, from its youthful exuberance in the pic.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2299 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »

Made a tailwheel for my VMC Bird Dog.  Tissue, 45gsm paper and W H Smith's best dark grey crayon. Oh I finished the stab. off as well. Incidentally; is it just me,  or does the stab look very like a whale's flukes?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95   Go Up
Print
Jump to: