Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 11:10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 93616 times)
Pat D
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »

Used mylar for the first time today to cover the stab for an F1g, came out at 3g,

funny o'l stuff but useable !
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »

Used mylar for the first time today to cover the stab for an F1g, came out at 3g,

funny o'l stuff but useable !

Like most thing, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »

Thursday rather than today.  Joined the BMFA.
Today.  Re-worked winding stooge.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 75

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »

After a long dry spell, I started drawing up a plan, the old fashioned way, with pencil and paper.  Going to be working 60+ hours per week so this is going to take a while!

Mark
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »

Started another project a few days ago, and wanted to post some early progress shots.  I was very happy to locate a state-side source for VMC kits, and I now have the Andrew Darby-designed Cessna 140 and Jodel D-18 kits on hand.  Everything about these kits is outstanding; Mike Stuart's Jodel kit review, and the other builds posted here on HPA, really had me itching to try one...

So here's a bit of Cessna 140 progress.  Will post occasional updates rather than start a new thread.

I was very pleased with how easily and accurately the fuselage went together.  (Yes, we have no bananas...)  Couldn't resist posing this shot.  Grin

Will add the gear and stringers and call it a weekend.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »

After a long dry spell, I started drawing up a plan, the old fashioned way, with pencil and paper.  Going to be working 60+ hours per week so this is going to take a while!
I had the exact same table and drafting arm!  Loved the table but missed my Muto arm.....it was destroyed in a move. Angry

That yellow fuselage looks way better than the ones I make! Roll Eyes

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »

Come to Queensland Australia - they are famous for their bent yellow "fuselages" Glen. Smiley

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »

(i)   I made progress with my 61" Middle Phase aileron slope soarer kit (I don't enjoy working with veneer-covered foam wings).
(ii)  I purchased a laser-cut 36" Mini Panic kit to suit a mint OS 30 four-stroke (which I've long had in my possession).
(iii) I took a photograph of the snow falling (more 'airflake' than airplane, but in the spirit of things I hope!).

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:14:26 PM by Jack Plane » Logged
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »

lots Grin i repired several planes with minor damage from last sunday's flying and worked on the italian job spitfire.  that plane is now being covered in prep for assy. sorry no pics, the wife is using the camera

jim
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:22 AM »

Al Mktarian and I drove down to Art356a's place in Boynton to help him declutter his space. Its amazing how many "dustbunnies" one can accumulate over a period of time. It must be weight off one's shoulders to off-load such priceless liabilities  as this collection of loving handiwork. He did it with zero-reservation. We were awestruck. I will have some local guys over and help me find good caring hands in which to place these beauties.

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »

Wow - that P-61 is beautiful!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »

Echo that Mike!  Crabby can you give some details on the P61 and Lysander - which plan or kit? span etc.  Both are subjects that interest me personally

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »

Today?    Finally started to cover a P30 that's been dormant for months.
Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »

The P-61 is only semi-scale. It's from a Cleveland IT series plan which was evidently derived from photographs of the actual plane rather than factory plans. The big differences between the plan and real scale are much smaller diameter engines (and thus booms) and the pod one station too far back on the wing (resulting in more lead in the nose than if the nose were longer). The changes I made were adding to the center section span so I could use 9 inch props and also increase the stab span. Then the outer wing panels looked too stubby and their span was increased proportionally 'til they looked about right. So now the proportions look okay except for the wing aspect ratio, which only a P-61 scholar might notice. However, it flew two and a half minutes at KOI on 700 winds, whereas experts had told me that a real scale one wouldn't have flown at all. Thanks to Josh Finn's mom for having the presence of mind to click a watch on it.

I had wanted to have a shot at one for a long time, bought the Cleveland plan and slept with it under my pillow for months until I saw pictures from the Montreal crew on SFA of a nice flying one at a Glastonbury Connecticut meet. I wrote Mikey Heinrich to see if he new whose it was and he connected me up with Lynn Morton who told me his was a modified Cleveland IT, and a reliable flier. He gave me a lot of pointers on the mods that he had made and was going to send me his greenhouse molds when he went into the hospital for minor nasal surgery from which he didn't recover. At that point I couldn't not build it. Got very little encouragement from the experts on the Forum, except for Bob Isaaks, who kept me going on the project.

The Lizzie. Out-of-the-box Easy Bilt, 36 inch span. Anything but easily built, but it flies, sorta. Here's a video, right after the Moonbat flitting around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjKwKBqBj8

art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »

Art,

Thanks for the backstory on your P-61 - must have been great to watch it max.  I've had the Sterling P-61 kit since the mid-90s but never got farther than building the booms.  One of these days I'm going to finish it, probably as an F-15 recon version.  Every time I pull it out I look at all the plastic parts and end up putting in away again...

Cheers,

Mike
Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »

Yeah, I just took another look at the pic. The last bulkhead of the pod is supposed to be even with the trailing edge of the wing with only the bubble aft of it. I only noticed it after they gigged me for not having l.g. doors drawn on under the wings and the pod. I pulled up the 5-views on Airwar.ru and using the leading edge as a datum, found that nothing fit. Then I figured out why. Those drawings also showed the correct cowling diameter. Twin row P&W's never would have fit into this thing...5 cylinder Kinners, maybe.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
slopemeno
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »

Today?  I un-taped the Jart I'm working on from the building board...

A Jart is a 60" fast sloper.  Here's a vido of the designer Reed Sherman flying his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQhqDtjNrg

I had cut out the opening for the horizontal stab and wing from the composite fuse.  I glued in the horizontal stab, and used a piece of 36" x 11" melamine shelf to jig it up so the horizontal stab was 0-90-0 to the fuse.  I untaped it this morning before I went to work, and from what I can see it's really square. 

After work tonight I mixed up some more laminating resin and cab-o-sil to make a slurry to close out the subtrailing edge of the bagged spyderfoam wing.  I also put a locating pin in the rear of the canopy to keep in aligned when closed.  I still need to make the magnetic latch for the rear.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »

Finally finished up my Eflite MYSTIQUE RES electric sailplane - the darn spoiler linkages were driving me nuts.  Now to hope for a slightly WARMER day (been in the middle teens to low 20's for the past two weeks Shocked) for range checking and test hop.  I also started final assembly of a REALLY old electric pattern style woody (Dave Smith ELECTROSTAR) that got sidelined back in 2002.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:24 AM »

After a couple years of dormancy, I cleaned up my bench off of extracurricular (work related Grin) electronics stuff and got back to half finished projects. Worked on the wheel spats of the Kocherigin Gurevich TSh-3.

--Ates
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: March 03, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »

Atesus - if you overload a shelf above a model, you get this!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

Grin Grin  stated covering the italian job. with brown and green camo blue undersides/.  i hope to have it ready for flight tests tomoorow

jim   Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »

Ouch!

John
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2018, 12:30:59 AM »

Atesus - if you overload a shelf above a model, you get this!

Ouch! Mine is not as bad as it looks (famous last words Smiley)

--Ates
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin  lots  i finished the repairs on the tbm and the f8b fighters  amd i finished the italian job  it will be flight tested very carefully to nite.  even with the extra inch in the nose it still need leasd up front. she is slightly tail heavy sio i shall see what happens.

jim Grin
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

Started to finally cover my West Wings Spit Mk.24 (only been sitting around for about three years Roll Eyes) and set up a gifted IPod4 for the Spektrum telemetry system.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: