Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 143854 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2675 on: May 23, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »

I finished the flying surfaces of my latest creation, and took the picture. I'll start a thread soon...but in the meantime...
Can you identify the aircraft I am modelling?
Think I've got it now, but only thanks to PP's very useful clues. Nice choice and lovely looking parts too- looking forward to seeing and hearing more!
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2676 on: May 23, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »

Well done packard pursuit, you nailed it! Smiley

Alexander Eaglerock A2
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2677 on: May 23, 2021, 06:39:40 PM »

Alexander Eaglerock A2
I think you’re right (and not a Travel Air like I was thinking!)
Still a very nice choice.
Richard Hewitt
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2678 on: May 24, 2021, 12:04:05 AM »

Well done guys, you got it.

Out of interest, how did you know I was going to do the A-2, and not any of the other A- variants? The wings and tail are the same on all of them!
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2679 on: May 24, 2021, 12:54:44 AM »

Well done guys, you got it.

Out of interest, how did you know I was going to do the A-2, and not any of the other A- variants? The wings and tail are the same on all of them!

I have a copy of:

A history of Alexander Aircraft Company

By

Col. John A. deVries

The book contains 3-views of all the companies aircraft.

The wings of the 3 seat biplanes are not all the same.

The long wing, short wing and the combo wing models do not have a centre section. Those airplanes have a trestle style cabane strut structure. The A series (A-1, A-2 etc) had a conventional centre section with splayed cable braced cabane struts.

It helps to be able to compare the drawings, review photos and look at the production list.

The book suggests the A-2 was the only A model that used a Curtiss OX5 engine so I felt safe in calling it an A-2.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:46:01 AM by RolandD6 » Logged
Richard Hewitt
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2680 on: May 24, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »

Ah, but the long-wing, short-wing etc variants were not A- models. If you turn the page from the A-2 drawing, you will see representations of all the A- variant fuselages - the differences were in the fuselage only - the wings and tail were all alike.

But I AM doing the A-2 anyway - so well guessed!

Richard
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2681 on: May 24, 2021, 06:55:04 AM »

Today is 24th May: the day our Amy landed in Australia 91 years ago, so I've been reliving it on YouTube. Rather like this newsreel footage including a (no doubt staged) clip of her old dad receiving the good news in his Hull garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKqbCcaDsY
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2682 on: May 24, 2021, 07:05:37 AM »

Ah, but the long-wing, short-wing etc variants were not A- models. If you turn the page from the A-2 drawing, you will see representations of all the A- variant fuselages - the differences were in the fuselage only - the wings and tail were all alike.

But I AM doing the A-2 anyway - so well guessed!

Richard

No real guessing involved. You gave the game away yourself when you confirmed PP was correct in saying the airplane was powered by an OX5. All other A series variants were powered by radial engines except for the A-3 & A-4 models which were powered by a Hisso.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #2683 on: May 24, 2021, 07:33:54 AM »

After your Bleriot film was shamefully overlooked at the Golden Balls and Oscars, I think this should be your next re-enactment Pete. All you need is different backdrops at the end of the garden, different ships in the 'sea'. Oh, and a Moth of course
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2684 on: May 24, 2021, 09:48:31 AM »

Isn't the "triangular" planform of the stabilizer halves also a clue? I've seen other Alexander bipes with a more  rectangular shaped stab...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2685 on: May 24, 2021, 03:39:20 PM »

Today we have cutting of parts.  Yesterday,
We had noseblock forming. And tomorrow morning*,
We shall have slicing of ribs.  But today,
Today we have cutting of parts.

Sorry Henry.

*Tomorrow evening, using the extremely advanced balsa stripperette pictured.  Yes, it is just a dead razor blade snapped in half and cyano-ed to a new blade with a bit of sanded down hard balsa sandwiched between to set the width.  Test runs on scraps of sheet indicate it will work if I'm careful.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2686 on: May 24, 2021, 04:10:07 PM »

Today is 24th May: the day our Amy landed in Australia 91 years ago, so I've been reliving it on YouTube. Rather like this newsreel footage including a (no doubt staged) clip of her old dad receiving the good news in his Hull garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKqbCcaDsY

Nice bit of side-slipping just before landing at 0:12

I wonder if I can get my Peanut Cirrus Moth (you're right, I've never mentioned this before!) to do the same indoors...?  Cool
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2687 on: May 25, 2021, 03:33:11 AM »

Isn't the "triangular" planform of the stabilizer halves also a clue? I've seen other Alexander bipes with a more  rectangular shaped stab...

Yes it is.

So far as I am aware, the shape tells you the airplane is one of the A series but not which one. You need to know the engine type as well. The fact that the top wing of Richard's model has a centre section is also a pointer to an A series airplane but not which one.

The long wing, short wing and combo wing airplanes have the rectangular shaped tail plane. They are not part of the A series.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2688 on: May 25, 2021, 03:50:14 AM »

Finished stripping the covering off a Porterfield Collegiate LP-65 I built a long time ago. I had a thread about it on Small Flying Arts. Didn't get even one circuit of the gym on its first ROG flight. It lost an argument with another modellers table leg. The wing was not damaged at all but the cockpit was shattered.

Fortunately I used a water soluble tissue paste so the covering came off reasonably easy and the next step is to clean off the remaining paste with a damp cloth.

Have not decided how to fix the cockpit and make it stronger. The particular airplane I based the model (G-AFZL) on had a glazed roof which offered very little resistance to the screwing/shearing force when the wing hit the table leg. Have to find another example that appeals to me without a glazed roof; preferably with a blue fuselage because the framing is now stained blue in parts from the tissue paper.

Paul
ffscale
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #2689 on: May 25, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »

Finally finished my 37” span rubber powered TWA Consolidated Fleetster, though  I’m leaving off the aerial mast above the wing centre section until I’ve trimmed it.   It is no lightweight at 163 grams without rubber, but that was a deliberate choice as I’m planning to fly this one outdoors and hope it will cope with breezy weather.  My 24 inch span version in Spanish civil war colours flies very nicely and trimmed out easily, so fingers crossed the big one does the same.  On the 37” model the outer wing panels are knock-off using tongues and boxes which should save the centre section struts in the event of a wingtip landing.  Finish is Xtracolour enamels with markings mainly cut from painted decal sheet.

Mike S
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2690 on: May 25, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »

That's beautiful,  Mike Smiley
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2691 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:30 AM »

Spectacular - how on Earth did you do the fuselage striping?
I'm off to google now to find out what it was doing in the Spanish civil war.
ffscale
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #2692 on: May 25, 2021, 12:16:17 PM »

Well - you did ask....

Hardest part was developing the shape for the curved stripe at the front.  The artwork shown took about 7 attempts – without CAD it would have been much harder. Once the shape fitted OK and looked correct the same patterns could be used for the paint masks and for cutting the painted decal sections.

I divided the decal stripes into three sections each side to make them more manageable, as you can see.  Firstly the sections of black decal were applied, followed by the thinner gold stripes which were fiddled around to sit exactly in the middle of the black stripe.  This is much easier than applying two thin black stripes over a thick gold stripe.

As you can see on one of the photos, the lettering was applied using black decal sheet first, followed by the gold centres, which were positioned to give a black outline of regular thickness.  I found a sheet of commercial gold decal in my box which I used for this rather than painting my own, and I really like the shine it gives.  Again, the use of CAD made it relatively easy to generate the shapes of the letters - the offset function being particularly useful.  Plus easy scaling to do both sizes of lettering.

Mike S
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2693 on: May 25, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »

Well - you did ask....

Hardest part was developing the shape for the curved stripe at the front.  The artwork shown took about 7 attempts – without CAD it would have been much harder. Once the shape fitted OK and looked correct the same patterns could be used for the paint masks and for cutting the painted decal sections.

I divided the decal stripes into three sections each side to make them more manageable, as you can see.  Firstly the sections of black decal were applied, followed by the thinner gold stripes which were fiddled around to sit exactly in the middle of the black stripe.  This is much easier than applying two thin black stripes over a thick gold stripe.

As you can see on one of the photos, the lettering was applied using black decal sheet first, followed by the gold centres, which were positioned to give a black outline of regular thickness.  I found a sheet of commercial gold decal in my box which I used for this rather than painting my own, and I really like the shine it gives.  Again, the use of CAD made it relatively easy to generate the shapes of the letters - the offset function being particularly useful.  Plus easy scaling to do both sizes of lettering.
Just as I thought.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2694 on: May 25, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »

It's just lovely. Can't wait to see it go!
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #2695 on: May 25, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »

Looks superb Mike now it's finished. Like Pete I can't wait to see it go.

Great method with the decal sheet in layers I will definitely be stealing that one  Cool...along with using Sunnyscopa decal sheet... and numerous other tips for your site
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2696 on: May 25, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Russ Lister
That's beautiful,  Mike Smiley
+1
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2697 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:21 PM »

Just wonderful, Mike !
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2698 on: May 25, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »

That is a very high bar that you have set there Mike! Beautiful and a charming subject as well.

John
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2699 on: May 27, 2021, 11:55:57 PM »

Looks great Mike!

Re the original aeroplane, how did the pilot ever safely land the thing? His field of view looks atrocious.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116   Go Up
Print
Jump to: