Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2022, 09:48:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 146959 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2875 on: October 30, 2021, 02:37:53 PM »

I quite fancy another DH60 or maybe something from WW1. Hmmm to many projects too little time
If you do another Moth I'd have to vote for G-AAAH. A Miles Satyr would be nice too. (Always good fun deciding what other people should build next!  Grin)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #2876 on: October 30, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »

If you do another Moth I'd have to vote for G-AAAH. A Miles Satyr would be nice too.

Nah.. G-EBWD is nicer  Grin. Miles Satyr is very tempting, lovely looking aircraft but a Miles Gemini is on the list ...just need to make a rubber twin or two that works first. From an Aeromodeller's perspective it's great there are so many inspiring early aircraft out there ... there's always the next model
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2877 on: October 30, 2021, 06:34:44 PM »

I totally agree with you Alex has transformed the perception of side port diesels being medium to low speed and moderate power. I have just finished running the last of the Millish's based on the ED Hunter and the micro and mini Bee's. Starting was flawless and they all freed up within 5-6 tanks using very little fuel running for over 2 minutes on the internal tank. The exhaust residue was clear from the first run. The revised induction system also make installation very easy. They definitely prefer lighter loads as stated in the Aeromodeller test. Like you I was able throttle back on compression with no adjustment to the needle being required. They have been my engine of choice for most of my builds recently. I look forward to what is coming.
Ricky  

billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #2878 on: October 31, 2021, 10:18:24 AM »

Ricky, are those the Bees that are 'coming soon' on the website? How is the induction system modified?
Looking at the website, it appears that almost everything is 'out of stock'. Since the engines are evidently popular, as well as excellent, I wonder why they don't just make more.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2879 on: October 31, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

Ricky, are those the Bees that are 'coming soon' on the website? How is the induction system modified?
Looking at the website, it appears that almost everything is 'out of stock'. Since the engines are evidently popular, as well as excellent, I wonder why they don't just make more.

My sentiments exactly!  Every time I scrape together enough pennies to order one (or two) the one(s) I want is "out of stock".  I ran into two "used" ones (they weren't) at the last flea market in Lampertheim before the pandemic hit, but the seller wanted 5x the original price.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2880 on: October 31, 2021, 02:49:13 PM »

Bill,
      They must be. Perhaps a call to Alex would be in order. The Induction is now properdone with a needle that can be positioned at any angle and a proper venturiplus of course twin ball races. A really nice engine that is easy to handle. Pete why do you not contact  Alex directly and ask as there are always opportunists out there trying to rip people off.
Ricky
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #2881 on: October 31, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »

Working on the μCourtesan.  

Fin and most of the components yesterday, stab. today. Already scribbling amendments on the plan, quite a few of the, non-load bearing, bits (cabin window fillets, aft formers, sub-fin etc. ) are now 1/32" sheet rather than 1/20", the fin only really needs one rib positioned about half way up etc.  It's always slightly disconcerting to see how small some components are in reality after working on them at high magnification on screen.

Fin 0.07g, stab 0.29g.  Haven't got any 6lb left so having to make do with 7.5lb wood.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2882 on: October 31, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »

That is going to be a sweet little thing, Lurker. I’m looking on with interest to see where you save weight and slim down the structure. I wonder how much difference those rib holes made?

I’ve printed off a Popsie plan today, at 60% full size. This will give me a span of about 23”. Motor choices are Telco or a GM120. (Half tempted to still just go rubber though!)
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #2883 on: November 01, 2021, 01:29:15 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
I wonder how much difference those rib holes made?
Psychologically?  A massive difference.  Aerodynamically, hmmm, welll.... Smiley
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2884 on: November 01, 2021, 04:33:41 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
I wonder how much difference those rib holes made?
Psychologically?  A massive difference.  Aerodynamically, hmmm, welll.... Smiley

I wonder if you can still see the 'Swiss Cheese' thread on SFA?! ....
I like the holes ... I did them as a little nod to David Deadman on my Powermouse.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2885 on: November 01, 2021, 07:03:54 AM »

As I say, another Swiss Cheese fan!
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2886 on: November 01, 2021, 07:34:15 AM »

Like cutting out ribs is enough of a pain... you should have run a row down the trailing edge while you were at it...
Gary
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2887 on: November 01, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »

I certainly like the appearance of ribs with holes in and find the cutting of ribs theraputic but several people have told me, they like the capped ribs, save an indiscernible amount of weight unless the wing is of some size 40” or 50” upwards and thicker wood - 1/32nd ribs are to puny often.  I am building (slowly) a 36” span Dennyplane with capped ribs.  Just for interest I weighed half a dozen capped ribs and half a dozen conventional ribs from the same sheet and there was no difference!  But again I like the “look” and the therapy.  So why nor?  My model.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2888 on: November 01, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »

Like cutting out ribs is enough of a pain... you should have run a row down the trailing edge while you were at it...
Gary

Ribs and formers usually can give up some of their meat ... if I feel an edge or spar is over-engineered then I reduce the section. I'd only do it to nibble away at the excess where the outer shape has to be maintained .... that's the serious answer ... 'cause I wanna is the less serious answer  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2889 on: November 01, 2021, 06:43:40 PM »

Gary
Doesn't anyone supply rib holes to save you cutting them yourself?
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #2890 on: November 02, 2021, 03:39:41 AM »

Gary
Doesn't anyone supply rib holes to save you cutting them yourself?
Postage and packaging is prohibitive. Perhaps if a group got together to bulk-purchase holes.
Ramjet64
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2891 on: November 02, 2021, 03:44:26 AM »

I re-drafted plans for a Savoia S13 water plane, restoring detail almost lost in the scanning/digitising process.

I've also stared drafting plans for a pedal plane for my grandson.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2892 on: November 02, 2021, 04:52:35 AM »

Your grandson will love that RJ.
The Savio looks interesting. It surprised to see that even with such a high mounted prop more effective down thrust is called for.

Happy building

John
Ramjet64
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2893 on: November 03, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

Today's efforts 1:1 redraft.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2894 on: November 03, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »

Nice work ... the pedal plane looks fantastic.
Would love to do something like that for the grandkids  Smiley
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 66

Ignore
« Reply #2895 on: November 08, 2021, 05:48:58 PM »

I watched a movie called 'Air Hawks'. I was tempted by Wiley Post being billed. In fact he only appeared for a few seconds, mumbling some lines that I couldn't understand.

This was a typical mid '30s B-movie (1935 in this case). The ones I've seeen tended to feature a death-ray of some sort, a wise-cracking happy-go-lucky pilot, a superstitious mechanic who trips over his own feet, blueprints, mystery ships, a pretty girl who's game for trouble, and loads of aeroplanes I can't name. Normally the loads of aeroplanes are stock footage and are meant to represent one single aircraft in the film, even though they're all completely different. Sometimes footage from 'Hell's Angels' is used. The flying scenes are often filmed at Van Nuys.

'Air Hawks' threw up a D.H. 60 Moth or Metal Moth - I'm guessing that would've been quite a rarity in the U.S.?

Also a rubber-powered model aeroplane. The hero winds it up (while his mind is occupied with death-rays and cracked-up ships) then puts it on his desk where it unwinds itself. Is it a Velie Monocoupe?

Stephen.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2896 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:17 AM »

It certainly looks like a Monocoupe - at least the front section and the trademark waisted rear fuse.

John

MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 113

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2897 on: December 21, 2021, 12:32:22 PM »

Relaxing with a bit of sheetwork this week.  Arbalete jetcat, scaled up to 14" span from a 1963 Aeromodeller plan (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3416).  Another coat of dope on the wing and it'll be ready for some paint.

Mike
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #2898 on: December 25, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »

I think my daughter has me sussed.

She gave me this for Christmas  - a charity shop find. All the bits are there , including the rather heavy looking wood .

I have a spare Telco so hopefully it will make a nice fun flyer.

One of the sides panels is split but I was thinking of using 1/32" sheet for the sides anyway and maybe a built up tail a fin as per the Veron kits

Happy Christmas
GM
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #2899 on: December 25, 2021, 08:12:37 AM »

I think my daughter has me sussed.

She gave me this for Christmas  - a charity shop find.

Happy Christmas
Now thats what I call a good find. (And a good gift)

Happy Christmas,

G.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118   Go Up
Print
Jump to: