Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 07:08:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 94360 times)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:20 AM »

That looks like clean fun Lurk!

Maybe one swallow will make a summer!  Grin
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »

My first experience with CA was in 1965 working for IBM as a typewriter/dictation equipment repairman. We had a lot of handheld voice recorders in the field which were built on somewhat flimsy cast magnesium frames, which could crack under rough handling. Frame replacement required hours of work removing parts and reinstalling them in another frame, and that was a non starter.

We would locate the crack, clean everything with Trichlor, dry it thoroughly, and cement it with Eastman 910 surgical adhesive (CA). It almost always worked.

We were told this new product was developed from barnacles, used in heart surgery, and occasionally used experimentally on Professional football players to repair broken limbs by surgically exposing the break and rejoining the fracture with the 910. Supposedly, they could then play again the following weekend. I think that's a tall tale; but I'm pretty sure Eastman 910 was the first successful CA, and it was pricey.

https://www.ellsworth.com/products/adhesives/cyanoacrylate/permabond-910-the-original-methyl-cyanoacrylate-adhesive-clear-1-oz-bottle/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »

Finished repairing the Tigercat.  Last week I made some bad decisions resulting in the Tigercat plowing into the ground, breaking the wing loose and damaging the fuselage.  I stripped tissue over the damaged areas, repaired the broken formers, reinforced the fuselage at the wing TE, LE, and the former in front of the LE, spliced in replacement stringers where the prop chopped the fuselage, then re-covered all the holes.  A little touchup on the panel lines, re-installed the canopy and re-applied canopy framing and she's ready to fly at Gainesville this weekend (assuming the winds are something below gale-force...).

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2018, 05:12:25 AM »

Very neat Mike. Good luck at Gainesville.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2018, 06:43:31 AM »

Grin Grin Grin  started a penny plane for a contest. actually its more a nickle plane because that's how much it will weigh.

JIM Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »

I hope it is a nice day Mike - nice of them to let you use the airport.  I believe the grass may be quite long will help if blowy perhaps.  Your reprise look pretty good - can't see the joins! Perhaps you will say hello to Richard and (Iron) Mike for me.

David.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

More the last few days...

Stab and fin built.  LEs & TEs  yet to to be sanded to profile.
Ribs cut for wings.
Currently pondering on best way of building what was a more less flat kit wing as a now very slightly undercambered NACA 4412 wing.

Things not to do:
- Don't break any of the supplied 3/32" strip 'cos there's only the bare min. in the kit.
- Inadvertently use the wider strips in the kit when slotting the ribs.
- Forget to cut slots in a couple of the ribs.
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »

I hope it is a nice day Mike - nice of them to let you use the airport.  I believe the grass may be quite long will help if blowy perhaps.  Your reprise look pretty good - can't see the joins! Perhaps you will say hello to Richard and (Iron) Mike for me.

David.

Thanks David - winds morning and evening weren't bad but the grass was cut short so the twins stayed in their boxes.  Did get some decent flying in with other models and had lots of good conversation with Mike, Rich, Duke and many others.

Cheers,

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »

If you are speaking of Midkiff, Adams and Horn, I can't think of a better BS session. Does Duke still still fly his P-38?

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »

That's them - it was a great time.  Duke had his P-38 there, but field and weather conditions made flying the big twins imprudent.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »

Ahh.... shame about the grass - thought I heard it had been kept long. But seems worth the trip?
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »

Definitely!  Good results with the Tempest and Skyshark, and some promising trimming with the Navion.

Mike
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »

Crabby, not sure if i should react to the BS comment. Well actually, it IS deserved...

The grass hasn't had a chance to start growing yet so we faced the usual hard dirt and pungee sticks from the last cutting of the previous year. The grass grows thick stalks that are treacherous when cut. When it does, however, you can slam a plane straight vertical into it and it won't get hurt. Great for trimming those wild airplanes.

Mike did very well and we are all glad that he took two Kanones home for his efforts. I did chance to gaze on his dimer twin Rocket. It looks better in person than in the photos, almost see-thru. But, like he said, the wind was not kind to us. It was actually clam for Texas this time of year. Winds Friday were in the mid 20's.

I did end up pretty busy and naturally forgot to take pictures of any quality. Here's a few that I'm willing to share that shows the conditions. Attendance was sparse mainly due to the forecast for the weekend. First is a shot of the flightline Saturday morning. I could show only half the number of cars. Duke Horn is in the foreground. Morning coffee still hasn't taken effect. We fly with a sister club who fly AMA contests primarily but we co-mingle people to keep the events more active. Second shot is of the twin pusher mass launch event. Great fun here and excellent endurance from all of these models. Third shot is our Flying Horde launch. I didn't bring a plane so I got to take pictures. Would rather fly...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2018, 04:20:20 AM »

Something has caused Crabby to put his tail up of late - maybe the sap is rising?

Shame about the wind Richard - in the UK we regularly seem to get adverse weather and tend to assume you chaps with the sun get a string of balmy days - but it seems just about everywhere round the world manages to tease us!  And that grass does look hostile.

The pusher event does look fun - I tried to build one of the was a youngster - got a book out of the library of "things for boys to do" which included an "A" frame.  It was pretty huge, possibly five or six feet long and the timber was Ash - and lots of other bits that a young lad could not possibly manufacture but I contented myself with making little bits such as I could.  The crowning bit though was the author then announced that he took a roll of linoleum floor covering on the roof of his car to the field where he flew so he could do "RoGs"  I did not have a car then.   
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:55 AM »

Grin   recovered my me 109 and started balancing the stuka.

jim Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »

Ok the tail is not up, the saps not rising, and if you are reacting to the BS comment with anything other than humor, then I will restate my comment: I can't imagine having a more sublime opportunity than to have such elegant dialog over the finer points of aeromodeling, in the company of such elegant gentlemen the likes of Richard Adams, Duke Horn and Micheal Midkiff, three pillars of contemplative aero-modeling.... Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »

No, I took Crabby's comment in the correct spirit. Thought it was hilarious actually since we did talk more than normal for a contest. Windy weather can mean two things in model flying, right?  Grin

It's unfortunate that the internet (and forums especially) make it harder to have conversations where the correct tone comes across. Nothing beats face to face conversations. I call it Facetalk as opposed to that other variety.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »

HA HA HA I forgot to ask if you were complimenting your fine dialogs with screw-top Merlot and Velveeta on saltines Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »

More like habanero almonds and Gatorade...
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »

Merlot?? Hey, we're just progressing from Keystone Light to box wine. Oh, and stick pretzels with Walmart spray cheese. Merlot..., my God man, we're in Texas...
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »

The pusher event does look fun - I tried to build one of the was a youngster - got a book out of the library of "things for boys to do" which included an "A" frame.  It was pretty huge, possibly five or six feet long and the timber was Ash - and lots of other bits that a young lad could not possibly manufacture but I contented myself with making little bits such as I could.  The crowning bit though was the author then announced that he took a roll of linoleum floor covering on the roof of his car to the field where he flew so he could do "RoGs"  I did not have a car then.   

The pushers looked great climbing out.  Here's a short video of the launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5pCPiHUIg

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »

Started research project on Goodyear Racers/Formula one for FAC mass Launch in Peanut size.  Using plans from Flying Aces newsletters and checking the books done by Hirsch and Kinert. Started with 8 and now down to final 6 candidates. This is fun...
knapster
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »

Finished the bones of a Dumas PT-19...now on to covering.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »

Thank you Mike, lovely stuff.  I like the flip up launch method.  Could be an idea for an indoor event.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: March 31, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »

Grin achtung mein luftwaffe is now repaired
me 109, hu 236 ju 87 b and the he 100d.  flight testing next sunday

jim Grin (ve have vays ti make you fly!)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74   Go Up
Print
Jump to: