Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 20, 2019, 08:50:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 83728 times)
Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »

Grin   I actually knew what that was referring too, "NMF", from my plastic modeling experience.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:27:50 PM by Yardman Jeff » Logged
Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »

MKelly,
I really like that 262  Cool
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »

What an amazing use of printed tissue Mike. It would have been a long difficult task to paint all that detail - including bullet holes?

Has Lurker Industries been investigated for excessive physical disciplining of it's white collar staff? Smiley Shame Smiley Smiley

John
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:57 PM »

Finished framing a couple Blue Ridge Specials from the Volare double kit.

Shrunk my Pearl 202e to 30 inch span for Pee Wee 30.  85% reduction.  $8.21 at my local Office Depot.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »

"AIR CAMPER" REPAIR  18 "  DUMAS KIT #231   FREE FLIGHT  RUBBER

I have been working on it - a lot more work than I thought.  I had to block the plane up solidly.  Nose block infill is glued and dried.  Started adding little pieces of doublers, missing uprights and missing crossmembers and missing stringers, one by one each day.  Finally I have all the pieces in, most all of the old tissue is sanded off, and I have put in more gussets.  Time for final sanding and new tissue.  The fuse is feeling pretty solid now.
     There is hope  Roll Eyes Grin   - weather forecast for Fri to Tues -  temp upper 50s deg F and very little wind - max wind forcast is  only  9,5,7,9,6 mph for each day.    Shocked Shocked  Gotta finish it off and jump at the chance to go flying in the good weather ...   Wink
    Oh!  - and I forgot  -  SUNNY

PICS
8577   8584   8585   8586   8588   8589

LASTWOODSMAN
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:18:48 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »

Grin  I AM CONTINUING TO PREPARE FOR FLIGHT JONAH'S AIRFORCE and to keep my strength up (and to celebrate the end of a course of medical treatments) I shall dine in fresh trout, corn on the cob and blackberries.
YUM

maybe we should start a thread called fishin' and flyin' Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

I'm deciding on what plane I want to build next. Have a few kits onhand to choose from, but had been thinking on a PBY due my black cat's fondness of supervising my builds. Decided that was a bit too complex for my skill level and am back to deciding again, right where I started.  Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »

maybe we should start a thread called fishin' and flyin' Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

No Jim it would be Fishin', Flyin" and Eatin"

The Threadkiller!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »

I sat down today and looked properly at my Peck Andreasson Peanut to try to fathom why I'd made such a pig's ear of flying it at the weekend Nats.

Being under the weather at the time (while also dealing with the anxiety of not crashing and further damaging my CO2 Camel, as I'd done during trimming the day before), I simply failed to pay attention to the basics!  In fact three of the Andreasson's four wings had warped un-noticed over the last few months.... so two surfaces which were supposed to be flat or with wash-out had acquired some wash-in, while one on the other side that was supposed to be flat had wash-out... and all the while a random up-tab on the wash-in side was playing the joker!  Shocked

That'll learn me  Cry  but I did manage this morning to steam everything back to how its supposed to be.  Now only got another 51.5 weeks to wait until its next chance!

Oh, and I had my first exploding rubber on the final round, with consequent damage to the tissue in three places, which is my prompt to finally make a blasted blast-tube!  Embarrassed
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »

Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
 I have been working on it - a lot more work than I thought....
That looks like a right fiddle but a good result and well worth the effort.
Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »

Did some more thinking and flew some computer sims. Decided on the Guillow's Aeronca Champion "85" as is similar to an addon for FSX that I enjoy computer simming.

https://www.avsim.com/pages/0708/RealAir/Champion.htm

On the computer I enjoy the Tundra, and the float or amphib versions the most. Plenty of shaggy grass and ponds around here.
Kit is on hand and already had a spare print made.
Plenty of easy viewing paints schemes on the sim.
Longer flight times are probable.

Decision Made.

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »

Thanks Lurker!
     Well, everything is glued up, dried, and sanded to 220 grit.  The revamped nose button is nice and tight. And all of the gussets have been sanded to a concave round shape with a round file.  It looks like it could fly, just like it is, with an open framework fuselage.  I sort of like the way it looks right now   Shocked  - like those early aircraft. Here is a few pics before I put the new tissue on tomorrow.  The tissue will be glued to every upright, crossmember, and longeron, and stringer - it will be my "fully stressed skin" fuselage.   Cool  Plus I have to acrylic paint the top of the nose, infill  planking, the color of "pure pumpkin orange".  At least now I have a sturdy fuselage for this season, which starts on Friday April 20 and goes for five straight days, max wind mph each day is 9, 5, 7, 9, 6 mph and sunny each day, the forecast high temp in deg F each day is 48, 52, 55, 59, 59 deg F.   The grass should be growing longer in the Cricket Wicket   Grin  , and I do not think they will mow it yet.  Oh, and I need to make a couple of "braided motors" to experiment with ...   Smiley

PICS   8591  8594  8598  8593  8599  8601

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

That is very cute.....looks very light in weight too.  Well done!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »

Finished sanding my two Blue Ridge Specials.  Dihedral joints drying.
Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »

Fuselage work was started on the Guillow's Aeronca Champ 85
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »

No5 in for engine refit.  Stooge compatible motor peg fitted and engine uprated to somewhere between 11/2 and twice peg to prop distance in the hope of some expert tuition from Capt. Neville tomorrow afternoon.  Motor braided using the Abl Patent Single Loop Motor Braiding Process.

Oh yes; took delivery of Al/Ag tissue to enable re-covering of the Swallow's wing.  A task for the weekend I think.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2018, 11:28:54 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Lurker   -  I practiced braiding motors    Cool   - got the hang of making four strand (two loop) braided motors ( 3/32"  RUBBER ) to fit just short of prop hook to rear peg distance.  I also started covering the fuse of the Air Camper with tan  colored tissue.  Boy, is it ever a lot harder to do when the plane is already assembled !!  Tongue   Only got four tissue panels on.  Five more to go ...

LASTWOODSMAN  

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2018, 12:34:14 AM »

You've been busy in the factory Richard. Maybe Lurker industries could employ you Cheesy
You've done a nice job of removing the tissue on such a small model. If you use white glue to attach the tissue(?) - how did you remove it without damaging the structure?

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »

Good morning John - yes I always use white glue to attach tissue.  I just lay a small bead over the balsa,  of a thinned composition of  70% glue mixed with  30%  water, and it sucks the tissue right down as it dries.  I flatten out any small wrinkles as it is drying, by using a wetted piece of balsa, and press or burnish those wrinkles flat, and you can get a perfect result.
     Yeah John, I don't think there is an easy way to remove tissue.  I take a long time to do it.  I cut out what I can, and then I sand off the rest using a lot of different files and fresh sandpaper stapled ( I never glue anymore ) onto balsa sicks.  And if some glued tissue is persistent in not coming off, I wet the tissue with a small brush and water, and use an Exacto knife and some small wood carving tools to scrape it off.
     Oh, yes, I do damage the structure and break things, but then I put on a fresh piece of sandpaper and go back to lighter sanding strokes ...  Grin  takes longer but ...   Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »

I take my tissue off in my wife’s hot tub. Even the doped on stuff. You will never try this but if you do, have a dying jig set up so you can keep things straight in the drying process! Scrub the stubborn stuff with a medium soft toothbrush. And don’t forget the Brie and Merlot with soft music on the piccolo. Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »

Soft music on the Piccolo    Wink ... yes Crabby ... Classical music!
     This is the second last tissue panel for the fuse, then it is all done, ready to trim off any excess tissue, glue down any edges, and shrink it all with atomized water.   I had to block up the plane well, in order to get a good placement of the tissue.  You can also see the large balsa blocks I use for resting my hands on, while laying down that bead of thinned white glue, with a small paint brush, and a good support for laying on the tissue.
     Then to put the prop and motor in and go flying, this afternoon!    Grin

LASTWOODSMAN

Yardman Jeff
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

Looks good Richard.
Crabby, I love the way you involve your wife in this wonderful hobby.  Grin

I'm working on the rudder this afternoon while glue is drying on the WIP fuselage. Also anxiously awaiting UPS delivery of an air brush compressor combo.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: April 20, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »

Thanks Richard and Crabby. The toothbrush idea is a good one - no hot tub available I'm afraid.

John
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »

I attach my tissue with thinned white glue and a small brush too. When I want to remove the tissue, I puncture each bay of tissue such that water can get inside the model and then submerge it in the tub. I let it sit underwater for a day and the tissue just  falls off. A shot of dishwashing liquid  helps accelerate the process and I usually have to put some kind of weight on it to keep it  under. I have found, while the structure is a bit delicate while wet, it dries as hard as it originally was and it does not warp. Yes...... does not warp on its own, however, it will take whatever shape it dries in so I either pin things or carefully place the model in a position in which all is straight and lined up and do not touch it until it is completely dry. If something (like a wing) does dry with a warp in it, I dunk the wing into some water again and pin it flat to dry. If you assemble the framework with water-soluble glue like Elmers, this will create a disaster and dissolve everything as you can imagine. It is really pretty easy.

If you wind up picking off the tissue while leaning over the tub, be sure to NOT let the scraps go down the drain. Our Esaki tissue gets stronger when when wet and does not dissolve like toilet paper. It cost me an $80 plumber's bill to learn that.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip Tom Arnold - sounds like the bath tub water works ... yeah watch out for that Plumber's bill ...  Undecided
     I walked the dog at 3:00 PM and the Cricket Wicket was full of Cricket players (first time this season).  And the wind actually picked up to  12 mph  gusting to 19 mph  - too windy for the little 18 inch Aircamper.  Tomorrow is another day with forecast 4 mph wind, gusting to 6 mph, all day, so I might as well wait til tomorrow.  "Discretion is the  better part of valor."  
     If the cricket wicket is full again tomorrow ( which it will be )    Cry   , I can always try and sneak in to "Windsor Stadium" (where they play football and soccer ), also part of the Jackson Park complex, and right beside the Cricket Wicket.  It is always locked up, but I know where the secret hole is, in the fence, right beside the high school, that the kids cut open ...    Shocked

PIC #     8612
     Here is the last tissue panel.  It had to be the exact triangular size to overlap a  1/16"  stringers on each side.   So I cut out a paper pattern and trimmed it to fit on top of the fuse, and then I scotch taped it onto some tissue.   Then I cut the paper pattern out, leaving the exact shape of tissue to cover the top of the aft fuselage.  

PIC #      8615    
     Here the plane is all blocked up again securely, in order to glue on one little tissue panel !!    Roll Eyes     The triangular tissue panel has two centering pencil dashed in the middle of the front and the middle of the back of the panel.

PIC #      8616
     I installed a temporary little plank at the front of the tissue placement to help locating the tissue.   The tissue panel has two little centerline pencil marks on it.

PIC #    8616 SNIP
This plank has a centerline marked on it, in order to help line up and center the tissue panel's two center pencil dashes, because when I put on the tissue, I will not be able to see the center top keel, at the front under the tissue.  I also filed out a couple of "clearance" holes in this plank, so that the tissue does not glue to it.

PIC #   8617
    Here is the last panel all glued up in position.  It worked out OK.  I will try to get some nice outside pics of  this Aircamper  tomorrow before I launch it skyward ...   Smiley

PIC #   8618  One pic of the final result.

LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:59:35 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: