Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 24, 2019, 04:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 83959 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »

Nice repair work, Lastwoodsman, but a morning of DELIBERATE DESTRUCTION for me! I'm having a good sort out and tidy of my workroom and need to clear some space ready for building my Dumas 30" Eindecker. So...a couple of my bigger, and now very tatty models, which could no longer justify their shelf space,  just had to go! I can very rarely bear to do this, but it felt quite cathartic.

Goodbye then, Bristol M1c and Morane Parasol; now broken up and in a bin bag (although I saved the pilots and wheels).
A couple of farewell photos of them, as they looked in better days...  Cheesy (pics by Russ Lister and Laurence Marks respectively- thanks!)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: April 21, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »

MKelly, That 262 looks incredible. Sorry for the late posting. Can't wait to see it in person.

Lastwoodsman, I feel your pain on repairs and retissue. It's always a pain. I'm in the process of repairing several models which require taking off old tissue, replacing it and trying to color match decals and such. It's never right but adds to the character of the model.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »

It's never right but adds to the character of the model.

Rich I couldn't agree more with that statement. You never saw a picture that describes this better than the locker room photo of the Montreal Canadiens after winning game seven of the Stanley Cup. What a bunch of stitched up bruised up banged up bandaged up warriors! They had their character beaten in!

Pete, you are giving me the courage to euthanize a pile of pretty but over-worked models. Some of 'em not even mine! Do you recommend putting them in a bag before performing the stomp, or wearing a blindfold? Of course some dance music and a few pints might work best of all!

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »

Hey Rich and Crabby and Pete - I have two that have to go also.  I am just going to give them away to the first kids I see in the park.  The kids would probably like them , and end up euthanizing them anyway.   Undecided   LOL   Grin   Two old Guillow   16"  models  -  A Stuka and a Spitfire

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »

Pete, you are giving me the courage to euthanize a pile of pretty but over-worked models... Do you recommend putting them in a bag before performing the stomp.
I think it should be quick, but the exact manner of execution is a matter of personal preference. The important thing is that they get crunched good and proper, so that once in the bin bag there is no temptation to get them out again for a soft hearted reprieve!  Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2018, 01:43:44 PM »

Yes Pete - "Crunched good and Proper"  LOL   Anyone burn them any more? or use them for trap and skeet shooting practice ( which would be good for the final flight ) ?

AIRCAMPER  18"  TEST FLIGHTS

I tested out the "new" Aircamper this morning.   About a dozen flights with just finger winds up to 110 winds on that  6"  braided motor.  Test glides were good, but under power, max flights only  6  seconds, it just powered and climbed up and up, stalled, and came down.   Tongue Undecided   Adding weight to the rear wire skid, did not help, and neither bending the stab tabs downward either.  Some flights were climbing and stalling and climbing and stalling.  It seems that the greater power burst from that thick braided motor  6"  four strands of  1/8"  is too much power. ( Huh )  I came back and will put on a  9"  two strands ( one loop ) of  3/16"  ( unbraided ) motor, and bring the stooge and a supply of motors with me, when I go out again today, and give it another try.  Here are some pathetic pics of the plane all over the place ...

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »

AIR CAMPER AFTERNOON FLIGHT APR 21 2008

Well I did go back out this afternoon.  The longest flight was 25 seconds, of about 11 flights.  Had to fly in Windsor Stadium as the Cricket Wicket was now full of players.  Two bad crashes and no damage - thank goodness.  The wind was really swirling and wreaking havoc, coming from behind the big concrete grandstands.  Full flight report is in "Your Birds in Flight" here  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23194.msg224130#new

PICS  8643, 8644, 8645, 8646, 8647, 8650

Happy Flying   Grin
LASTWOODSMAN

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: April 21, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »

Hi Richard, you might also want to try a smaller prop with a flatter pitch. I have the Peck Air Camper. I will dig it out and see what I have on it. Not that its gonna be the way to go, but it is a really boring stable flier. No nutty hi-jinx. Just nice boring flat circles with a gentle climb.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »

Your Air Camper saga was quite a trip Richard but I enjoyed your careful patient repair. Shame Peter Wink how could you do it - quick or otherwise Smiley
Glad you finally made it to the paddock Richard.

John
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: April 22, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »

I've started my enlarged Banana Fritter. I've enlarged it to 36" span by blowing the plan up to 120%. I'm planning on making my first folding prop for this one. I've got the rib patterns and most of the sheet parts glued to the balsa ready to be cut out. Plans are attached to the building boards.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: April 22, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin I FLIGHT TESTED OUTDOORS Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

did the p40q racer, shes an old gal who's seen a few repairs and she did fine in a breeze.

my new p40q is coming along.  nreeds to stop diving at the end of power and keep wings level.

shouldn't be too hard as this is a sound design.

jim Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: April 22, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »

Grin shark airplanes reporting for duty SIR!
Steviedean
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Builder since 1970

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »

I ordered 3 short kits from Bernard Guest!!!
1 Mr. Mulligan and 2  of the newly released Chambermaid's!
I cannot wait to get them!!!!
Also tried to get hold of Chuck at Peck Polymers for an order invoice. But, he must be busy-haven't heard from him for a couple weeks.
Keep buy'in, build'in & fly'in boys!!!!!
I've found over time it's just as nice to be surrounded by cool hobby stuff as it is to build cool hobby stuff. We've all made sacrifices in life BUT, there's a time to pamper yourself-that time for me is now!
Steviedean

Steve Probelski
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »

Hi Steviedean - I like your enthusiasm - it's contagious.   Shocked  You are right - the time is NOW.  I forgot to put in a couple of pics from two days ago - hope it is not too late...   Undecided    Anyways, here is my six best pics from my Air Camper Flight Report Apr 23 2018 in "Your Birds in Flight".  There was too much wind today and yesterday, but tomorrow is looking very good    Cool  ( after tomorrow is no good for six days - too much wind   Sad  ) - looking forward to some in flight pics from you this summer ....  By the way, in the third pic, that is the yellow Stearman Bipe from our Historic Hangar flying right over the Cricket Wicket !  - the yellow speck above my hand held model ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

I gazed at my flying field despondently.

After a long, long winter that only ended a week or so back, and during which I often thought, "long grass. . .long grass. . ." this is not what I wanted to see. I didn't realise how lucky I was in previous years when the farmer would grow two silage crops in a year, meaning two episodes of long grass and no cows until July or August. Last year there was just one crop - now none.

The Martin-Baker MB5 and Westland Whirlwind I've been working on here and there through the year will be shelved in favour of something that will fly onto short grass from the outset, and will need less space than the rangy Whirlwind. That's what I'm thinkin'.

Stephen.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »

Holy cow Prosper - that's a LOT of beef on the hoof !!

18"  AIR CAMPER FLIGHT APR 26 2018

Well I got the little "Gypsy" out again -  10:45 AM  48 deg F, winds  4 mph from West gusting to  7 mph,  54 %  humidity.    Grin    I found out that every time you change to a different length (weight) motor, you have to add or take off clay weight, so that it does not "porpoise".    Huh    Finally got her trimmed with a   3/16"  motor, two strands each strand 12"  long, prop hook to rear peg is  7",  about  600 winds and my best flights were a couple of 35 second and one 40 sec flight.  The noseblock was still wiggly from side to side, even though I painted on some thin CA last night.  So I cut a couple of thin strips of clear Scotch tape,  and taped the noseblock to the fuse to hold the proper side thrust, one strip each side, and making sure the tape strip started on the black thrust button,  to hold it in place also.  It REALLY worked !    About 15 flights until it flew into, and got really stuck in, a tree.     Sad    I had to go climbing and shaking different branches, but she finally came down - minor tissue hole damage.  Then we went home.  I am too old to climb ...   Shocked
     My six best pics.   I am now thinking about getting the  30"  Rearwin Speedster out later ...   Cool  these windless days do not come very often ...
KEEP 'EM FLYING !!

LASTWOODSMAN

ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »

We got us a no wind day here in N TX.
Grabbed the Guardian, Rumpler and a newly converted to E power SE-5.
The SE 5 was an old 5 yrs ago built rubber ship. I installed a couple of balsa
formers to support the 5/16 x 3/16 stick that the GWS geared motor
stabs onto. Made up a quick harness with a switch, charging stud, battery and
motor leads and bench checked. That was about a week ago.
Today is perfect to try er out. One thing I like about ni cads is that you can
control motor run time by charging time. 15 sec time resulted in a stretched out flight
without any climb. OK stick some clay on the tail skid and gave er about 30 sec.
Away she went, 2 nice circles to the left about 20' up. Success.
Rumpler time, Cranked in some turns and tossed er. Flew OK but had a stall at the end
of the motor run. Looks like nose weight is needed and remove the stab downwash tab.
Next toss revealed a straight away flight with little climb. Humm lets remove some
of the 6 deg of downthrust. Took out 2 deg and tossed er again. Good looking
flight pattern occurs. Put er away for now.
OK moving on to the Guardian
Removed a large amt of washout from the R wing the other day that showed up
during the previous trim attempts. Using a 4 (1/8) loop motor with the 4 blade prop
model climbed out with a stall tendency but recovered OK. No biggie.
Slapped on more down thrust and cranked in some turns. Well she liked this.
On about 60% turns she started grabbing sky in wide RH circles, 4 or 5 and
she settled into a, no drama, nice glide. This one will be lost before
the year is gone.
So a new record for me, 3 models, mostly trimmed out
within 3 hrs. The Gods were smiling. What price will I hafta pay down the road
for this great day.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »

Well hope you have more Mike. It sounded like an ideal flying session.

Richard - that little model is earning it's keep. I think I would be considering a blast tube - even if it was only rolled up from cartridge paper or thin plastic.

Stephen you do seem to have a problem with the local cows Smiley. No other fields close by?

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »

Well, Mike - you had a great day too.  Me too, my first time successfully flying two models - yeah ...  and what price to pay ?  - I think I heard the "Laughter of the Thirsting Gods" of Free Flight whistling through the trees when I was out there having such a good time ...  LOL   Roll Eyes   Roll Eyes
     Well, I did give it the 'ol College effort, and I went back flying this afternoon, after flying the  18"  AIR CAMPER (Reply #415) in the morning,  this time with the  'Jumbo'   30"   REARWIN SPEEDSTER.   At  3:45  PM, it was 55 deg F, winds were 12 mph from the SW gusting to 19 mph, and only  58% humidity, and NO Cricket players on the Wicket !!   I used a thick wide elastic to temporarily Jerry-rigg the left side wheel and wheel pant onto the  1/32" landing gear wire.
     This Speedster has a tight, braided, heavy duty  3/16" rubber motor of just under   15 1/2"   in length - prop hook to rear peg is  15 1/2".   Launching downwind in the leeward side of the trees, I needed that real  burst of power to get it going faster than the 12 mph wind, when it finally gets out of the lower speed of the sheltered wind, and out into the real wind, in order to get enough lift.   It did great tight circles back into the windless leeward side of the trees, so I had some great flights - about a dozen - longest flight 24 seconds.  Here are the best 6 pics.  I will post flight reports, and all the pics, in "Your Birds in Flight" later, for the Air Camper and Speedster ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: April 28, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »

Finally got an acceptable finish to the Swallow's wing.  Only took 21/2 goes.  Shrunk but not yet "doped". Stab and fin drying off.  Fingers crossed for a flyable 'plane by Friday next.

Note for UK builders using Eze-Dope (And I still think that's a damned silly name).  Boots sell small pump sprays in 50ml and 100ml sizes for under 2 quid in their travel section.  They give a better spray than any other I've yet found; it's finer and as a result don't get so much white speckle on the 5% coat as other pumps I've used to date.  You might be able to see the difference on the upper wing in the attachment.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »

Much better!  Smiley
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: April 28, 2018, 05:48:12 PM »

RUBBER MOTOR INSTALLATION  page 1  of 3

Today I took on that daunting task of changing the crumbling  6 year  old rubber motors of my two 6 year old Guillow 16" Spitfire and Stuka die crushed models.   Even the water slide decals are crumbling off.   In order to clear up some shelf space, and before just giving them away to some little kids, I knew I had to put in some fresh rubber, so the kids at least had a prop to wind and spin.  The fuse opening from the front and going back to the rear rubber motor peg dowel was so tight, I had to sand down the tip of my smallest Rubber Motor Pushing Tool.  Even the kit supplied, prop wire's rubber motor hook, was too large to even pull out through the plastic nose cowling hole, so I had to squeeze that prop hook a little tighter with pliers to easily fit through.  This whole operation was quite the ordeal !!
     I tied up a couple of  3/32"  rubber motors, making sure the length was shorter than the prop hook to rear peg distance, thereby having the rubber motor under enough stretch tension to pull the thrust bearing in tight to the plastic cowl.  

PIC #1   8763      and       PIC #2   8762      I also had to cut out small sections of tissue at the bottom of the rear fuse where the rear peg mount was, in order to even see what I was doing.

PIC #3     8746    I made a wood dowel for the rear motor peg, and chamfered a deep radius on the ends,  and I tied up a  3/32"  rubber motor to the correct length,  and I tied a length of twine string to the front of the rubber motor ( the rear of the rubber motor is the knotted end ), in order to stretch and pull out, the front of the motor, out of the fuse, once I got the rear end of the rubber motor around that rear dowel motor peg.  

PIC #4     8748     Here you can see the string is tied to the rubber motor.
(cont)

LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:17:24 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: April 28, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »

RUBBER MOTOR INSTALLATION   (cont)   page 2 of 3

PIC #1     8749     Here are three different sizes of Rubber Motor Pushing Tools that I use.  The rear knotted end of the rubber motor is slid over the Pushing Stick, then stretched out a little bit by the string, and the string is then masking taped to the Pushing Stick,  keeping the rubber taught and tight into the tip of the Pushing stick.

PIC #2     8750     The Rubber Motor Pushing Stick is then inserted into  the fuse all the way back to the rear motor peg dowel hole.  In order to line up the hole with the tip of the Motor Stick, I cut out a small section of tissue at the bottom of the fuse rear where the rear peg mount was, in order to even see what I was doing.
     Here the dowel has then been inserted through one side of the fuse, through the rubber opening and tip opening of the Pushing Stick, and out through the other side of the fuse.

PIC #3     8751     Now the masking tape that holds the string to the Pushing stick, that masking tape is removed.

PIC #4     8753      Now the  Pushing stick is pulled out of the fuse, and the rubber motor end stays put around the rear motor peg dowel.
(cont)

LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:43:16 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: April 28, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »

RUBBER MOTOR INSTALLATION  (cont)  page 3 of 3

PIC #1     8754     Now you can pull on the string to stretch out the front of the rubber motor, past the front of the fuse.  And now you slip the prop wire's rubber motor hook onto the rubber motor while the string is still tied to the rubber motor.   That prop wire also has the black thrust bearing, red propeller and white plastic nose cone, all attached to it.

PIC #2     8755     Now the string is cut off from the rubber motor, while you hold the rubber from snapping back into the fuse.

PIC #3     8756     Now, you can nestle the prop, spinner,  and the black thrust button into the hole of the plastic cowl.      

PIC #4     8757      The prop on the Spitfire spins now after winding !!   WOO HOO

PIC #5     8761      And the Stuka's prop spins too.   YAY  HAY

PIC #6     8766      See-through Stuka prop spinning with nose cone.

Now I don't feel guilty about just giving the models away with the props not working ...    Grin   Shocked   Cheesy   Cool

The End

LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:44:11 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

We had a spectacular day for flying today. Ironmike and I took two carloads of models and spent the day trim flying. Weather in the low 80's and no wind, 1 - 4mph!! Flew my Midkiff FW190 with great success. Two loops of 3/16 - 27 inches long driving a three bladed Peck prop. Note the climb at launch. Couldn't ask for a better day.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: