Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 01:26:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 74   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 94377 times)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:06 PM »

FW-190 looks great Rich!  Had some nice weather this morning in San Antonio as well. I worked on trimming the Skyrocket and Tigercat, still lots of work to do on both but I know more than I did yesterday...and I don't have repairs to do tonight!  Also flew the Navion and Me-262 jetcat, some nice flights from both of them.

Cheers,

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »

Thanks for all those photos in a perfect sky Mike. The Tiger cat looks impressive under the clouds.

The 3 blade prop looks great on the FW190 Rich. Another great flyer. What a terrific day you fellows seemed to have had.

Happy flying
John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »

Unenviable records.  No 1 in what ones hopes will be a very short series.  From build complete to needing repair in under quarter of an hour.  Sickening crack from the fuselage as I'm tinkering with the positioning of the wing, fuselage cradled on/between my legs - too firmly as it turned out.  Rearmost former has given way on underside, tear in topside tissue.  Fortunately all easily repairable.

Anyway the good news is that the Swallow, having been formally named by MrsLurker, is now ready for trimming. However as the met. wallahs are issuing nothing but dismal reports for the foreseeable future there's no tearing hurry for that.

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: April 29, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin     The Grandkids showed up and we flew the two smaller shark airplanes (see my earlier post) the silver one kept running for the trees while the yellow wings came off . clean break!

my son took videos of the plane flying so that was nice. shame we can't post videos on this site.

jim.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: April 29, 2018, 04:59:03 PM »

Well done Lurk!

Once the weather finally decides to show a kinder face, let me know and I'll happily join you for Sticklebacks' maiden swim.  Smiley

Jon
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: April 29, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

So Jim some of the air force survives to fight - I mean fly Smiley another day.

Good one Lurk - what did the Ministry of Supply say about this hold up? They are desperately waiting for  these training gliders to get their latest  batch of student pilots airborne. Ah woe Smiley Smiley

John

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: April 29, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »

response to #427.
Lurker. A beautiful piece of work, as usual, and I am sorry to see the damage but I am afraid I must blame whoever brought rubber bands (or were they motor car tires?) close to a model of that size.  Smiley
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: April 29, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

Hate it when that happens. I have a special word I keep in a box, reserved for just such occasions!  The box has a fairly loose lid!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: April 29, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

We just got back after heading out to the tall unmowed grass   Shocked   around the Spitfire and Hurricane replica warplanes in Jackson Park, to do a little glide testing with the   17 1/2"   Fokker EIII EINDECKER, right at twilight gloaming, with that big yellow full moon on the rise above the trees, shining down on us in the fading light.  A couple of test glides, and I had to add clay to the nose.  Then I started off with 50 finger winds - only a very soft slight breeze blowing.  Went up in increments of 10 winds, had to put a little more clay on the nose and worked my way up to 200 finger winds for one complete right hand tight circle flight of  6  seconds.   I will tuck all of that clay deep into the top of the inside of the cowling, and tomorrow (weather permitting - or not ? ) it is time to put some serious winds into that motor with the winding stooge, and see what it will do.  I will also put a little tab of file folder cardboard onto the rudder for a little more left turn to counter the big right hand turn.  No more languishing lonely   Cry   on the shelf - over four years -  for this little plane ...  All up weight (AUW)  is    34.40    grams,   and the clay I added is    2.10    grams for a total of  36.50    grams.   And with   44 .25" sq of wings, it gives me a very heavy wing loading of   0.82 grams per square inch of wing area !!!???  Lips sealed  Undecided

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: April 30, 2018, 02:41:00 AM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
...kinder weather...
It exists? It's not one of those aeromodelling myths like, "long grass" and "tree free flying field" is it?  But yes, good plan.

Quote from: OZPAF
... Ministry of Supply say about this hold up...
Shhhh!  The delay was so short we think we've got away with it.  We blamed a longer than usual tea-break.

Quote from: Hepcat
...blame whoever brought rubber bands (or were they motor car...
Yes. The calamity was entirely self-inflicted and I will do my porridge as I should, but in mitigation yer honour I would like point out that finding elastic bands in a decent range of sizes these days seems to be a harder task than it ought to be and sometimes patience is in desperately short supply too. Thus the tale has a suitably moral ending. Smiley

Quote from: ZK-AUD
I have a special word I keep in a box...
Yes. Me too. This time it was uttered with a despairing tone. Just as well MrsLurker was elsewhere at the time. She would not have approved at all.

As to the finish. Fairly pleased with it.  I need to work out a better way of using Eze-Dope with Al. tissue. The misted on shrink 5% sol'n is OK leaving aside a bit of white speckle, but the brushed on 30% coat even when done extremely carefully tends to lift the colour leading to a slightly oxidised look in patches.  If get the time this evening I'll try and post a couple of macro shots to show the problem. I can live with it for now but I'm considering try to mist on the 30% coat next go around with Al. to see if that gives a better result.

BTW. Do we have a "kit review" thread anywhere?  I know the kit is no longer in production but I may have a couple of useful notes for others who have got the kit in their hoard / build backlog but they don't justify a full build report.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:03:17 AM by TheLurker » Logged
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: April 30, 2018, 03:56:21 AM »

Lurk

You might consider crossing the rubber bands diagonally - safer that way - or use four (lighter-section) bands, first pair parallel as per your picture, second pair diagonally.

Tow-hook in place?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: April 30, 2018, 04:40:32 AM »

You might consider crossing the rubber bands diagonally - safer that way
Crossed bands give more drag and the wing won't ping off in a crash. Seen many broken wings still attached by crossed bands
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: April 30, 2018, 04:46:33 AM »

I will also put a little tab of file folder cardboard onto the rudder for a little more left turn to counter the big right hand turn.

Check carefully for warps Richard if it has a more than a very gentle turn to the right. If none I would still trying adding more turns in small steps. If the right turn increases with speed then either there is too much right thrust or there is a warp inducing roll and opposing the torque. If the turn to the right opens up as you add more power and you have a glide turn to the right then you could add a tiny bit of right side thrust.

Rudder is very powerful at the higher speeds of powered flight and should only I feel, be enough to give a decent glide turn. I wouldn't be too keen to use rudder too much under power. If it will fly right - right then that should give you more height and longer fights.

Anyway just my feelings on the matter.

John
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: April 30, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

Good am. Yesterday was a great day to fly in Palm Bay, so I took my naughty Mig-15 out for an attitude adjustment. One flight she tears up to Zeus and hangs up there for 2-3 minutes, the very next flight she corks into Hades, next flight its worse, puttering about in Limbo. Never doing the same thing twice. After doing everything image-able, I reluctantly gave her the thing she needed... right thrust! After 3 two minute flights in a row I decided she not flukeing and was back on agreeable terms! Then the phone rang: "Late for the opera!" I had to race home and then sit through arpeggios, addagios, soft piccolo, and the likes in my sweaty flying duds! Here she is behaving poorly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0yHFzl6lM You may say "Crabby WTH is wrong with that?" well when you've seen the "A" student, the "C" student just needs a good kick in the "A"!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:50:18 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »

Nice flight Crabby!  BTW, if you get up this way, Dothan, AL has it's own Opera House.  You'll feel right at home.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »

We just got back after heading out to the tall unmowed grass
We demand pictures of this mythical tall unmown grass! Smiley
That eindecker is lovely.

Right, as promised earlier today a picture of the "oxidation" effect I get when brushing 30% Eze-Dope onto Al. tissue.  I assume (klaxon: wild speculation follows) the colour is slightly water soluble and there's enough drag from the bristles to pull it off the backing tissue. 

Continuing the subject of not quite working you may not want to bother trying to print on to Al. tissue with Canon's inkjet inks. The yield of usable printed labels/decoration is distressingly low per A4 sheet. Three usable labels out of 8 and one of those was borderline usable as far as smudging/ink run went.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »

Also flew the Navion and Me-262 jetcat, some nice flights from both of them.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike are you shooting pics with a Go-Pro? I am sick of fiddling about with my i-phone!

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: April 30, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »

Cheap man's Go-Pro - a $30 keychain camera duct-taped to an old ball cap.  Camera is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY61WK3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you're looking online for the camera be aware that they sell two versions, one with a 70 deg field of view and another with an add-on lense giving a 120-deg field of view.  I tried both and found that the 120 deg camera made it more likely you'd keep the model in the picture, but rendered the model a dot making it difficult to see how it was flying.  I like to review the flights to assess how my trimming is working, so I put the 120 deg camera away and only use the 70 deg version.

Picture quality isn't great compared to my iPhone but the convenience factor wins out, especially with two-handed operations like jetcat and rubber twin launches.  Video output is 1080p, but I suspect the sensor is only DVD resolution.  You've got to supply your own micro SD card.  File sizes are kinda huge, about 25 gigs for an hour of video, but it interfaces like a USB thumb drive and the video can be played and edited by pretty much any video program.  I use Movie Maker (again, because it was free and I'm cheap).  Those video editing programs will also allow you to save the video down to much smaller file sizes.

Cheers,

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: April 30, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »

Neat Mike. Did you have any hassles using the camera?

If that's a C grade flight Crabby - I'd like to see a A grade one! Vey nice - it looks great in the air.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: April 30, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »

Hi Crabby.  I wish I had  "C"  flights like your Mig 15.  They would work fine for me.   Shocked   Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »

FOKKER EINDECKER

Well, I did get out trying th fly the  17 1/2"  Fokker EINDECKER this AM after running the dog.  Had an 11:45 morning appointment so I rushed out to the Cricket Wicket, and had a dismal trimming session - nothing worked - only upon changing to a larger motor with another resulting poor flight, did I notice that I had forgotten the  2.1 gram clay noseweight on the building board.   Embarrassed   Huh   Roll Eyes
       So ....   after my appointment, I hurried back out there trying once again to fly, with everything in place,  the winds were a little on the strong side, making progress (?) with trim tabs and weight on the wingtip and downthrust shim, and different motors, etc. , and getting a ten second flight, it finally, on the last flight,  CARTWHEELED, and broke the fuselage right in half, right behind the TE of the wing, right where there was a missing bottom crossmember of the square fuse box frame ( I built this 4 years ago when just starting back into the hobby - I must have missed it ).    I CAN fix it, but for now - back to the drawing board .   The only good thing I did today was give away my old  16"  Guillow Spitfire ( with new rubber ) to the first little kid I saw, a little 5 year old boy, from our apt bldg.

Keep 'em FLYING !

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: April 30, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »

Neat Mike. Did you have any hassles using the camera?

If that's a C grade flight Crabby - I'd like to see a A grade one! Vey nice - it looks great in the air.

John

Hi John - camera controls are straightforward and I've had no issues getting files off the camera or viewing/editing them.  The only hassle has been remembering to tilt the cap back a bit on my bulbous head to keep the model in the field of view.  I picked up some Velcro and am going to make a small foam wedge mount to solve that problem.

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: May 01, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »

Good am Richard, I admire your guts to go fly your Eindecker! It is a pretty model even in its busted up glory! Looks like a dead Mockingbird laying there. I have stayed away from that one because it would only break my heart. BUT I have as most modelers do, a triage unit. All my models fly eventually Roll Eyes and they are a bunch of stitched up battling broads who hate my guts as a pilot. But I clean 'em up, apply fresh make-up, and roll out to the "Tall Grass" Huh again. The kind thing to do would be to burn and move on, but I am a perennial grape-squeezer, going for that last drop! a model torturer from Guantanamo for sure! Fix that model and do it again is my advice. I have seen those things fly well. Oh and if giving that Spit to a 5 year old was the only good thing you think you did that day I am sure you are a little myopic! Roll Eyes Grin

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

Guten Tag  Crabby - thanks for the reply - you impelled me to look up the word "myopic".  Fortunately, there are several meanings and synonyms, from which I will just select the most endearing and charming.   Grin
     Thank you for your enduring, relentless, noble, and gallant efforts, at preserving the English language, most deserving of a Knighthood of sorts.   Always fun to read your compositions.    Cheesy   You must have been an English Professor or like academic.    Smiley
     Yes Crabby, I think I will endeavor to repair the Eindecker later, as the "guillotine" fuselage break is actually pretty clean.  I am infatuated with actually flying at present.

Keep 'em Flying

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard  

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: May 02, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »

Your Mig flights seem moderately acceptable Crabby so I am sure you will shortly succeed in reaching the A Grade! (By my standards that one would be A plus by the way.  Presumably the opera was Die Fledermaus?  Or Flying Dutchman).

Richard, I agree about Crabbys talent for the abuse of the English Language.  It took me a little while as a dumb limey to follow the tenor, but this is I am sure due to my servitude in the legal profession!  Once mastered I can now fully appreciate the colour and simplicity but superbly descriptive quality of the phraseology. 

“Stitched up battling broads” is a phrase I will remember - so wonderfully politically incorrect, chauvinistic and descriptive. It reminds me so much of a somewhat domineering aunt of vast proportions from my childhood, who in her flowing dresses my father likened to a galleon in full sail.

The picture of your Eindecker is very sad.  It really is a very appealing model. 

Aeromodelling wise today I have stuck together some bits of timber to fashion the nose block/cowling for the Lone Eagle.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 74   Go Up
Print
Jump to: