Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 10:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 98111 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: May 02, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »

I will gladly trade you the “battling broads” line for the “galleon in full sail”!

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »

Done!
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »

Galleon in full sail, now that is hilarious! The mental image goes along well with it.

So, I've been in the throes of fixing/restoring an older electric power SE5 that served me well in FAC competition. A LiPo battery runs an old tech brushed motor through a Smoothie timer. Took me a day to figure out how to program that [email protected]^& thing but I did it. I had to repair some crushed ribs in the left top wing panel and re-cover it. I spend a good morning futzing with my CAD program and my soon to landfill fodder printer trying to match the color of the existing decals and get two to print. Succeeded at that and then spent the rest of the day trying to get my blood pressure down. One of the wheels went missing during the last flight as well as the tailskid. Replaced both of those. Should have started with two new ones than recreate the masochistic process I went through originally. Pictures below are self explanatory. No, those are not martini olives for the benefit of DavidJP, they are the shock cord fairings. I could have used real martini olives that day...Added some more detail to the fuselage, Vickers gun shell casing ejector chute for one.

The main thing lacking on this airplane is a pilot so I sent off for one of the David Banks pilots. Received in the mail today, Capt. Cecil Axelbender, at your service. Wonderful piece of sculpture and very light like everyone reports. Hoping to have this one flying before the end of the month.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: May 02, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »

Just caught up with the latest literature lesson from David, Richard and Crabby. Very educational and entertaining  Smiley.

Very nicely done Rich - I hope Capt Cecil enjoys his new aircraft. That wheel appears to be a fair bit of work.

Bad luck with the Eindecker Richard.

John

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »

Grin  My Bell p40 kit arrived yesterday and at shed nite. i bought two guillows 400 series kits for 25 buck CDN! So Jonah and i will have something to do together years from now.

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »

Hi Rich.  Your wheel construction is excellent!!    Cool    And I like that pilot's name -  Capt. Cecil Axelbender.   LOL

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: May 03, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »

; Grin   started the bell p40.  this is the GAR version with the box and attached formers otherwise it is identical to John's original design.  Don't know if GAR still exists.

i have to go slow because it can be very complex if i add the flexible controls.  i will want to have some movement so i can do flight adjustments.
so far elevators are under construction and rudder is next. then i move to wings and work from there. wood's nice and light so i'll be careful cutting it out.

i haven't heard from john in over a year so I hope he's OK.  i am thinking of him and the fun we had when I was in Floridad!

JIM  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
spliffsecond
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2018, 07:13:23 AM »

I ditched a P-51 in the only puddle of water in a 3 mile radius  Grin

Grtz free
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »

Grin  gee ditching is tough, did the pilot survive Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
what design did u use  Huh

jim Grin
spliffsecond
Bronze Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »

He came out alright, just needed to dry off.

It's a fullplank eezebuilt Kiel Kraft, made by printing on tissue transfer.
This one is made out of 1/16", but I made a piper out of 1/32 and it is better.

grtz free
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »

Busy day at Lurker Industries

Elastic bands: 1 box. Wings for the securing of. Ordered. Ten quid.
Bought a mixed bag from the village post office this morning of which precisely 2 were of use for Stickleback.  That worked out at  60p each (12/- for heavens sake!) . Hunted around the various stationers in my nearest town later on and finally turned up a place (a printers) that could supply single sizes rather than mixed bags.  So if anyone needs thin(ish) 110/115mm long elastic bands in future please contact Lurker Industries who will be pleased to supply small quantities free of charge.  Actually I'm serious about that.  It's a large box and they'll perish before I'll get anywhere near using them all.

Got another print of the KeilKraft Minimoa run off.  Only 2 quid at the same printer supplying the elastic bands.  This print is scaled to about 75% so wingspan will be just over a yard instead of just over 4'.  Be interesting to see how well or even if a scaled down version will fly.

However the most important thing was getting some proving flights in for Stickleback.  You will see from the attachment that the proving flights went pretty well, by my standards anyway.  Still a wee bit stally, but at the current all up weight of 80g (of which 16.8g is ballast) the glide ratio looks to be somewhere between 1:10 and 1:15.  Not sure how good (or bad) this for a model but IIRC a K13 training glider has a glide ratio of about 1:40 and competition soarers have glide ratios somewhere about 1:60 so as a glider builder got some way to go yet.

Proving Flight No 1

Proving Flight No 2
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: May 04, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »

I realise that this isn't much good for Mr Lurker, but bear in mind that Flitehook does rubber bands, from around 1/4" up to 6" plus. Each pack is all one size!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: May 04, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »

That is a nice glide. It should well on a light high start or hand tow.

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:19 AM »

Quote from: PeeTee
...bear in mind that Flitehook does rubber bands, from around 1/4" up to 6" plus. Each pack is all one size!
Didn't know that so thanks.  Info. duly filed for future reference and if I can't source stuff in my local shops (always my preferred option) I will see what they can do.

Quote from: OZPAF
...or hand tow.
Funny you should say that.  Jack Plane OTP gave me free, gratis and for nothing a tow-reel not a fortnight past for this very aeroplane.  Failing a tow launch (the Lurker Industries Aerodrome is a wee bit too close to housing for that) I can always trundle over to Uffington and chuck it off the hill there.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: May 05, 2018, 04:58:32 AM »

And
John Hook can’t be that far from you Lurker.  I think he still does his indoor meets and you could even go and join the hardies who fly at Beauieu.

Nice Glides by the way.  I have built a couple of Mimimoas - one in my very early teens and heaved it off a slope in the local park.  It went very well - flights of two hundred yards were easy! Needless to say it was a bit of a bodge so a well built model should go great.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: May 05, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »

Hi Lurker - those WERE elegant glides in your proving flight videos - thanks for posting them.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: May 05, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »

Cut out the ribs, fin and fuselage pieces for the Big Banana Fritter. I need to start getting the pieces attached to the building boards.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: May 05, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »

Grin  after two days i finally got the elevator and rudder units built. i had problems with soft wood breaking glue joints come apart and so on. i did however get the rudder and elevators to move up and down .

i did this in the following steps
1 put double sided tape onto the fin (stabilizer)spar where the two parts join
2 run a small wire (.001) down the length of the spar and cover the fin (or stabilizer)
3 peel off double sided tape and stick rudder (elevator) with the double sided tape.
4 cover the part   

it seems to work. now for the wings. 

this kit you NEED TO READ THE DIRECTIONS WOOD SPECS ETC.

jim  Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: May 05, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »

Hi Jim! what kit are we talking about here?

The Threadkiller!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: May 05, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »

Grin Grin john bell's p40 GAR version

jim Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: May 05, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »

Hi Lurker - those WERE elegant glides in your proving flight videos - thanks for posting them.
LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Thanks Richard.  I was both enormously relieved and very pleased that she behaved as well as she did having given her a wing profile slightly different to that of the kit ribs.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: May 05, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »

WACO 'N'  25"  EASY BUILT SESQUI-PLANE BIPE

I completed this purple WACO "N"  fixed tricycle gear model in March 2015.   She already is a "stitched up battling broad"    Wink    , as the front wheel broke, ripping the whole mounting plank off, on my first test glide (3 yrs ago), with a HORRIBLE  silence piercing "CRACK", and couple of subsequent miserable attempts, requiring scotch tape.   I was up late last night and worked on her from midnight to 1:00 am.  I cut off her front wheel at the fuse, and tied up a new rubber motor. The main gear wheels were built detachable, with a Mortise and Tenon joint, so now I am abandoning all virtue and tradition, and I am trying to fly her without the fixed landing gear.
     I did about 20 test glides and short flights before dark - there was still wind - and I had to add  3.70   grams of weight to the nose.  Then I gradually increased hand winds up to 110 winds - best flight was 33 feet and 6 seconds.  She flies out nice, runs out of rubber, and plunges to the ground at 45 degrees.  The grass in Jackson Park had only been mowed once, and with rain a couple of days ago it is  now 6 inches and thick,  and I had no damage.  Tomorrow the wind is forecast to be 4 mph gusting to 11 mph in the morning, so I better get out to that Cricket Wicket before the players take it over - they took it over at 10:00 AM this morning!  This time I am bringing the winding stooge.    Angry    The plane weighs  30.63   grams AUW (all up weight including clay) without LG and without the nosecone,  the front wheel weighs   1.74    grams and the two wheels detachable main gear weigh  6.03   grams.
     Total wing area is  119   square inches and with an AUW of 30.63 grams, gives a wing loading of  0.25  grams per square inch.    That sounds really low - ??

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:50:13 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

spliffsecond
Bronze Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: May 06, 2018, 03:11:38 AM »

Richard, you make lovely planes. The best of luck with your flights.

Grtz free
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: May 06, 2018, 05:12:18 AM »

Yes really nice Richard - I like your photo booth - you seem very committed.  Good to see.

Today - well yesterday in fact I did some work on the Ryan Lone Eagle.... this is a 25ins span version and will probably go electric.  The designer suggest that the wing is in one piece and incorporates the cockpit glazing that extends over the wing.  This seemed a bit complex to me  so I have used a centre section intending to make a two piece wing and fit them to the centre section.   A lot of timber in the fuselage!  The other picture shows what the nose end should look like.... the cowl looks pretty utility there.  Mine is a bodge of bits of sheet hollowed out.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: May 06, 2018, 05:28:27 AM »

David,
         That is an interesting shape. I agree a two piece wing makes a lot more sense and simplifies transport a lot. Are you going to use rubber bands to provide holding force to the wings?
The jury is out on the use of cabon rod joiners except for small models because of the lack of give. Wire is now the preferred choice.
Today we flew Cloud Tramp in conditions that are strangely reminicient of the UK. ie lots of wet. We all had a lot of fun and some good flying took place. If you are at the FF Nats or Mayfly on the Sunday we may catch up
Ricky   
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: