Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 14, 2019, 07:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 75   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 95775 times)
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »

Big BF fuselage is now begun.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: May 06, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »

... Mine is a bodge of bits of sheet hollowed out.
When, if ever, I can "bodge" that well I shall be well satisfied.  There's a lot of nice carpentry in that fuselage.

pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: May 06, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

I recovered my Cloudbuster.  I filled the tub with water and sunk the model in the water for about 30 minutes and was able to easily remove the old tissue.  I used my low wattage laser to cut out the tissue graphics.  I found a Flyboy logo on line and since I think this model from guillows is Flyboy I used it.  I printed on white tissue and used a trace function in my laser software to cut the outline of the graphic.  I use Elmer's craft bond glue stick to affix the graphics, it is repositionable then I use Krylon to seal it down.  I take a cue tip and run it around the edges to make sure it is bonded.  Came out pretty good.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: May 06, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Hi pedwards2932.  That is a really STRIKING color scheme on that Flyboy  !!    Cool

WACO "N" FLIGHT TRIMMING  25" wingspan

Well, we got up early, ran the dog, got the gear, stooge, plane and backpack ready, grabbed the dog and headed out to the Cricket Wicket at  9:00 AM.   Winds were  4 mph  from the South, gusting to 7 mph,  57 deg F,  and high humidity of 88%.  The tissue was sure wrinkling and sagging.    Tongue    Did a lot of short flights, and had to put about three more grams of clay on the nose.  There was so much dew on the long uncut grass ( I had to wear my rubber "wellingtons"), that every time she landed, I had to physically wipe the water off of the prop, and nose and tissue, and wait for it to dry,   Undecided   upside down in the stooge (the sun was shining).     The Cricket wicket boys showed up before  10:00 AM, but let me try a couple of more flights.  Sure enough, I finally, on the second last flight, got a perfectly level, straight out, and slight circle left, flight of 11 seconds,   Roll Eyes   and these young men were filming me with their camera, so they may send me the video of the one good flight later tonight, and I will snip a couple of proving pics out of it.   Now I know it will fly - I just have to get out there for more flight trimming, and now to braid up a powerful  3/16"  motor - the  1/8"  motor I started with did not have enough power, but I had a  3/16" motor with me already tied up.  Good thing ...    Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:37:01 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: May 06, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »

Hi Richard, I think that's the 2nd time I've read you mentioning that  cricket wicket. Does me heart good.

Today I flew my F6F Hellcat, the only airworthy model I have. There were bullocks on the field, and they love an excuse to stampede -  but I had to do something - rare weather, and the farmer's told me he'll be ploughing the field soon for maize. Could be my only flight of the year apart from 200 turn trimming hops on my own grass patch.

Anyway, the bullocks were distant so I took a chance. The trouble was that although I put a new 25" motor in, the model really needs re-trimming from scratch, being stick-and-tissue and having endured a very long winter of wild swings in temp and humidity.

Off she went. . .in a lovely straight line. 700 turns which is under half the safe capacity of the motor.

https://youtu.be/5lVko7KeV3I

I was fortunate in that the bullocks didn't take an interest and that the grass was short, and visibility fine. The model flew on a few seconds after I stoppped the camera, but I found it fairly quickly.

Stephen.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: May 06, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »

Nice and steady Stephen........ one or two of my models have persisted flying in a straight line and it seems to be in defiance of the overall set up. 
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: May 06, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »

Hi Stephen.  Yes, that WAS a lovely flight straight out with that nice Hellcat  perfectly sunlit.  So you took a chance with the bullocks, eh?     Grin   LOL   I gather you have played a lot of Cricket.   That Cricket Pitch is my only flying field, and it is circled all around by large trees, so one must get his miniature aircraft to fly in a circle, and fly low - I made a perfect landing only once on that lighter green strip of artificial grass, "Wicket",  where they throw the ball and swing at it with that paddle-like baseball bat.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »

Sorting through the pile of busted models from 2014 in order to get back in the game.  Looking for ones I could get back in the air with minimum expense and time.

Discovered my Satellite 220 and 1/2A Super Pearl are still 100% flight worthy!  Also didn't think I had any whole CLGs.  Wrong again.  I have a totally intact Sting 18 and another needing only a new stab and fin.  Found a piece of 4.4 lb. 1/16th.  Dope is drying on new stab and fin.  it should be back flyable tonight.

My Embryo Endurance model is also airworthy as well as a Flying Aces Moth.

Progress!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: May 06, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »

The Hellcat still flies well Stephen. It was probably trying to stay clear of the Bullocks Wink The field looks ideal and sunny in your video - I hope you were able to make the most of the day.

swing at it with that paddle-like baseball bat

Steady on Old Chap. Paddle shaped? - it's a sculptured piece of timber arrived at by centuries of attempts to hit the ball Smiley  Smiley 

Hope your Waco gives you some good flights

John
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: May 06, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »

Flew Cloud Tramp in drizzly conditions yesterday.  5 consecutive flights all well over the 1 minute max. set for the comp.  Final Bonus flight 2:04 despite the increasingly waterlogged model!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: May 06, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

Wow ZK-AUD  !!    A flight of  2:04 despite the increasingly waterlogged model!    Shocked   Shocked   Mine just cannot even hold altitude, and down, and down they go, with no lift at all, into the grass.   Tongue

John, yes, the flat Cricket Bat IS a beautifully sculptured curved piece of timber.    Cool    One can always hear that distinctive "Thwock" crack when the ball is struck by our favorite material - wood.  Those Cricket players really do LOVE their Cricket.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »

Richard, you ought to treat yourself to the Island Flyer! When the dog bites and the bees sting, the Island Flyer will always chase the blues away.

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: May 06, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »

OK Crabby - I'll bite - what is an Island Flyer?

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:27 AM »

Yes, I would like to know as well please.

Ahh Richard the sound of leather against willow..... unique!  I have been recalling the days at school - playing  on into the evening clad in whites.... and all so gentemanly.  So what happened with all this designer clothing and protective gear?. Not cricket y’ know!  Village green games now for me.   Can’t abide the razzmatazz of County and test matches.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2018, 04:41:10 AM »

Why al the namby pamby hitting of a ball with a funny shaped stick? the only proper way to propel a ball is to kick it!!!
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: May 07, 2018, 04:53:04 AM »

swing at it with that paddle-like baseball bat

Steady on Old Chap. Paddle shaped? - it's a sculptured piece of timber arrived at by centuries of attempts to hit the ball Smiley  Smiley 

What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: May 07, 2018, 05:10:39 AM »

Monz,
to be properly signed, surely it should be tear-stained as well as sand-papered?  Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »

Ooooooo .....Pete  that is so cutting!  But I liked that post Monz - made me grin widely!   

.......the only proper way to propel a ball is to kick it!!!

Not really - real men grab it, barge and run and then kick it.  Versatile you see!

Oh and started fettling a pair of wings.......
Ex Member

« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »

Liked the sanded cricket bat! Cheesy Cheesy

The problem with county cricket and tests is how long they take.  As a kid they were great for me, as I could cycle the six or so miles to the County Ground.  I would lie on the grass all day, watch, sleep, eat and repeat, then I would go home and my mum (having been at work all day) would ask what I had been up to, when I told her I’d Been at the cricket she would be fine, if I would have said I did the same at home she would have hit the roof!

We regularly go to see Derbyshire in the T-20 “Blast”. It’s pretty exciting you’ve got to hit out, you won’t see so many 4’s and 6’s on the same evening in any other format of cricket.  A few beers, pop for the kids and a picnic complete the picture, you can’t have a better summer evening IMHO...

PS Real men (and ladies nowadays!)  hit the ball with the bat in the summer and with their foot in the winter...  Grin

On the aeroplane front I finished up the plan and Instructions for the VMC Pilot...

Andrew
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: May 07, 2018, 01:58:31 PM »

Well it were last Thursday rather than today, but I looked out the window and said to the missus "What with those big red vehicles with flashing blue lights racing towards that other plane stopped half way down the runway, we might be here a while." Good job I'd paid extra for seats with one inch more legroom, as once the stricken bus had been towed away, our 22 year old captain said that we now ourselves had a problem with the leading-edge flaps (I think he meant 'slots') on one wing, and I said to the missus "While we could probably get away without them, it would be unfortunate if we only discovered the problem once coming in to land at the other end when one side worked and the other didn't." Once the control-surface software had been reset by less smartly dressed people in hi-vis clothing, we then needed to top on on fuel, as we'd wasted a little hanging around but also because - as it transpired - we then tried to break the sound barrier to make up lost time.

I entertained myself in the meanwhile by flying a Jart off steep cliffs in high winds on the Picasim simulator on my smartphone...
NeilH
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »

To answer the Island Flyer question,  It is a simple, great flying, small rubber model designed in the northwest by Clive Winker.  The plans are on the plan page. At the northwest free flight contests in Oregon there is always an Island Flyer Mass Launch. I lost mine last year to a model eating tree. Need to start another.

Neil

Will fly for fun
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: May 07, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »

Thanks for the pic and info NeilH of the Island Flyer model.

STEEP TURN DEATH DIVE

Well, that's it for the  25"  WACO "N" Bipe.   Third flight in a row going down hard "full song" into the tall grass - I thought it could take it ... but apparently not the third time.   Sad    Now I realize that the extra torque of the new braided  4 - strand  3/16"  motor was what was making it go left so much.  I should have kept experimenting with the two strand motor.  She looks unfixable now ...  but man, was she ever fast !! 
     Alas, it's my own fault   Embarrassed  -  I will not be so reckless and impatient from now on ...  I think I had better stick to high wing models.   Shocked

PICS :
Before
In Stooge
Crash
Damage
Agony

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »

I went out to the private strip where my Dad hangars his microlight today. Flew that, flew the Fokker a few times before it cartwheeled in and then flew my new (to me) DLG. Had a lekker braai in between too. So, summer 2018, what a weekend it was Wink
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »

Looks glorious, Monz! All I did aeroplane-wise was solder some of my Eindekker's undercarriage. That's because most of the the day was spent in altogether more manly pursuits...
...Yes, that's right:  playing concertina for my wife's ladies' morris team. An afternoon of sheer hard toil in the high octane, no holds barred enviromment of a village church fete. And not just morris dancing mark you- it's the Mayday holiday so some pretty intense maypole dancing went down too. Scones were buttered, cake was sliced, and copious amounts of class A tea were consumed.

(Incidentally, when I joined this band several years ago, a flowery hat was de rigeur. I noticed today though that I was the only one still wearing one. I may have to have stern words...)
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »

Pete I love it! What a glorious celebration of old England. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 75   Go Up
Print
Jump to: