Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 14, 2019, 06:38:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 75   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 95772 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »

I never owned a plane that could do a proper cartwheel. Angry Always carried off on a gurney!

The Threadkiller!
Ex Member

« Reply #501 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »

Brilliant Pete, it’s great to see!

Andrew
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: May 07, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »

Looks like fun Pete - what a relaxing way to spend a day.

John

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »

Spent my Monday at the flying field.  We had a really nice day here in San Antonio.  Flew eight airplanes and came home with no significant repairs to do. not sure it gets much better than that!  Highlight for me was flying the re-trimmed peanut Citabria - finally got it to do a decent power pattern, now I need to fix the glide.

Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcRe0M7Cy-U&feature=youtu.be

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: May 08, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

Great flights! Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
ian
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: May 08, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

Hi Mike.  What a perfectly put together video with all of the narration and info and great trimmed out flights of 8 models on a perfect day.  WOW!   I really enjoyed seeing how it is really supposed to be done ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: May 08, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

Lovely collection of flights Mike!

Can you explain what you mean by "ounce inches"?  Is this to do with using a torque-meter or otherwise?

Jon
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: May 08, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »

I really enjoyed seeing how it is really supposed to be done ...   Smiley

Hah!  Thanks Richard, but I didn't show the other 50-some-odd flights, many of which were short, comical, inadvertently spectacular or some combination of those three things...  I'm just happy I got away without doing anything tragic!

You should go to one of the big Flying Aces Club meets if you want to see how it's really done.

Can you explain what you mean by "ounce inches"?  Is this to do with using a torque-meter or otherwise?

Jon, correct, those are readings from my uncalibrated home-made Koethe-style torque meter. I suspect it reads low as I seem to break motors if I wind to the torques Don DeLoach and others recommend.  Mostly it helps me wind more consistently.

Cheers,

Mike
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: May 08, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER FLIGHTS   MAY 8 2018

Well, I jumped right back on that horse    Huh   , and went out flying again,   Grin   this time with the Dumas  30",  high wing,  REARWIN SPEEDSTER this morning, and had about 14 flights, each lasting from 15  to  20  seconds, on a beautiful sunny day and no damage!    Shocked Shocked   These are the six best pics.  Full Flight Report is in "Your Birds In Flight" in "Genereal Forum" here http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23134.msg225114#new

Keep 'em Flying!   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »

in this country real men and ladies do not kick a ball in summer, for proof just watch events unfold in Russia later this year   Sad
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: May 08, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »

Grin  wings are done mostly, now picking away at the box fuselage i ope tio have pics and will show the various parts when the fuselage is more or less complete.  so far its a fun project i do have to take my time and make presicion cuts as the parts intricately fit together.

jim Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2018, 06:00:45 AM »

Thanks for the video Mike - a perfect flying day.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »

Yes - some good stuff there!  A very nice day for both Mike and Richard.

Richard is your dog asleep - rolling about laughing or dealing with an itch.  And I notice that you seem attired to disappear in foliage. Is that a precautionary measure for when retrieving?  Nice and steady flight appears.  So rewarding.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »

Thanks David !   Smiley   My dog "Trapper" is NUTS !!.   Roll Eyes    I just throw him a tennis ball and he proceeds to give himself a back rub with it, starting at his head and wiggling down on it, with legs flailing in the air,  from his neck all the way down his spine, grunting and groaning with deep moans, as he goes along - quite funny actually   Grin    ...  As for the camo - if it wasn't for my hunting clothes, I would not have very many clothes ... by the way, you can really sneak up on birds and wildlife in the woods if you are in camouflage from head to toe ...   Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: May 09, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »

Ahhh .... Richard, so what dog is not a little Nuts?  Common practice with the tennis ball - you should give him a massage - he will appreciate it!

The camo gear - (or DPM I think was then technical term) did just what it was designed to do! If you got smelly as well animals seemed not to notice you at all!

Give my  best to Trapper.   
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: May 11, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »

Long overdue ...  fresh sandpaper on all of the sanding blocks.  Now I feel better.   Smiley   I just stapled them on - no more gluing for me.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Got 'seen off the premises' (a good bowl in a strong southerly) late afternoon today by the residential bull. Had only been flying - slope soaring - for about fifteen minutes when the manufacturer of some recent-looking cow pats came along. Yes, he was the other side of the barbed-wire fence, but so was the only clear landing zone!  Under the circumstances, I was compelled to acquire more advanced landing skills, and rip the tailplane off its nylon mounting bolts in the process. Said bull kept pace with me for several hundred yards, albeit the other side of the fence, while I pretended to have not a care in the world, then I pegged it and cleared a metal gate just before the barbed wire fence ended in a bull-versus-human gap!  Barstard!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: May 11, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »

Well Jack Plane - that WAS a close call -  LOL  - especially if the Bull kept pace with you for several hundred yards - did you get pic of that angry Bull?  And there was an opening at the end of the fence ?  You're lucky!   Shocked    Shocked   - good story though ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: May 12, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »

Went flying with Jack Plane and his No.1 apprentice at Uffington.  Overall a fun time was had by all and I came home with an aeroplane that had proved to be a very good flier but didn't survive the last tow of the day. Chewing it over with JP best guess is a combination of an earlier very bad attempted tow launch with consequent very heavy landing (it required field repairs) resulted in a weakened/damaged port wing which couldn't handle the stress of over enthusiastic acceleration and general poor launch technique by the pilot.  Who'd have thought an old bloke could run so fast over rough ground eh?

JP has film of the crack-up which I hope he'll post.  There's rather a strange beauty in a detached wing spiralling slowly out of the blue.

And even better this month's BMFA mag was on the doorstep when I got home with and it contains a very, very apt cartoon. Cheesy
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: May 12, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

Here's the footage of the crackup launch:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaj2j6ybi6DR8tUS2   Shocked

I have to say, however, that the immediately preceding tow-launch had produced a truly magnificent flight which seemed to go on forever - which I hadn't filmed, so it was my fault for egging Lurk on for "just one more wafer" of a flight!  Grin

But, as Lurk says, it was probably a rather hard nose-in on an earlier unsuccessful launch (where the tow-ring hadn't detached) that had weakened the wing-structure, so it was all just a matter of time...

Great, old-school, massive-fun, stick-and-tissue FF model gliding.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: May 12, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »

Ah, that's interesting.  The wing parted company quite a bit earlier in the launch than I thought it had.

Still puzzling over whether to do a complete rebuild of the port wing, or at least most of it, from rib 2 out, so I can stick the new wing section directly to the existing rib2 where the sheeting ends or to try and splice the what's left of the old wing back in.  I can see it being tricky to get the dihedral and incidence right on a splice and I'm not sure I'd trust it on a tow. Or mebbe build a single new (short) bay from rib 2 to 3, and insert that?

One for debate.  Any and all comments and opinions invited.  Or you can just pour yourself a drink sit back and enjoy the debate.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:25:49 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: May 12, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »

And an earlier hand-launched flight, a nice one once the basic trims had been sorted (a bit of nose-weight plus a shim under the wing TE to reduce the slightly excessive incidence): https://photos.app.goo.gl/1DF7BZB70i7DdGO32
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: May 12, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »

Well, I am sadistically "sort of" glad to see I am not the only one smashing up models.  Embarrassed   Shocked   Now I see what slope soaring is like - very graceful planes.   I broke a wing off my 22" Sig "Cabinaire"  high wing cabin plane, and I glued spar extentions in it, and it all looked good, but I think one wing has more dihedral than the other - my mistake - and it never flew properly again - and it was a great flyer - standard 35 second flights and the best was 57 seconds.   Good luck with your repairs - I want to see how you do it.  Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: May 12, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »

One for debate.  Any and all comments and opinions invited.  

Ideal model for bungee launching.  The Peterborough club site gives details - look for Hi-start comp rules.  Either that or build something like a Lulu for tow-line launching.  Small gliders are difficult to tow up.

Ralph
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »

What glider is that Lurker? Looks like a nice one.

I'd just build a whole new wing.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 75   Go Up
Print
Jump to: