Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 14, 2019, 07:16:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 75   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 95774 times)
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: May 12, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

Small gliders are difficult to tow up.

Small gliders can be towed easily, just walk briskly instead of running Wink
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: May 12, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »

Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
"sort of" glad to see...
Nah you're not alone.  Not by a looong chalk.  Frailty, thy name is balsa. Smiley

We got one text book tow-line launch and flight out of it and any number of really good hand launched flights before the crack-up so I count today as a success.  Some models don't even get one good flight before they're destroyed beyond repair and this one is fixable.

Quote from: RalphS
...bungee... Lulu
Thanks for the suggestion.  Will have a dekko tomorrow.

Quote from: Monz
What glider is that Lurker? Looks like a nice one.
I'd just build a whole new wing.
Yeah I'm rather taken with it, but I do have a weakness for slab-sided stick and tissue FF gliders.  It's West Wings' semi-scale take on the Slingsby Swallow.  The NMF is a nod to the livery the Air Cadets used on the Swallows they flew; mostly silver with fluorescent orange patches. It's a nice design and reasonably straight-forward build but it has to be treated as a scratch build rather than a kit.  Will post a short review somewhere hereabouts tomorrow.

You're probably right about the wing, but I'm going to give the "short single bay" approach a bash first.  I have the first set of ribs that I cut and discarded to hand and as the misalignment on the rear spar slot that caused them to be dumped won't matter in an independent insert it will give me a rapid "fix" fairly quickly.  If it proves a washout I won't have wasted too much time and can get on with a new wing.  Just as well I hadn't taken the plan off the board eh?
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: May 12, 2018, 04:40:04 PM »

Have you ever tried Hi-Start?

The Threadkiller!
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: May 12, 2018, 04:47:29 PM »

I can confirm that the prototype flew quite well from a bungee similar to that as used for small glider comps!.
Ron
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »

... but I do have a weakness for slab-sided stick and tissue FF gliders.

The first one I built as a youngster was the Airflo glider from the Eagle book. I'm going to build another at 36" instead of 24" span. I might have to get this kit just for poohs and giggles as well as the VMC Osprey (did you design this one too Andrew?). I'll enlarge the Osprey to 36" too.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2617
Ex Member

« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »

Yes I designed it, it was fun to fly, although a bit limited in performance, but to be honest my launch technique is probably well less than parr.  it’s very small as gliders go so enlarging it might be worth a go to see how it performs in more experienced hands.

Memory fades, it might have either flown away, smashed on launch or met its end in a tree somewhere in France (which happens a lot to me!), whatever I certainly don’t have the prototype anymore.  I built a second to try Ezedope on which was used in a VMC video and that also flew petty well.  I know that one met an end when it was on my bench when something fell from the shelf above!  Cry

I think that models need protecting from me at times  Cheesy

Andrew
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

I built an Airflo too - and still have the book.
Ron
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »

Hi Lurker.  I was so impressed   Cool  with that  graceful "Stickleback" Glider flight, and the view of the newly planted farms in the countryside for a background, off of  "Uffington"  Hill, ( in the UK, I presume), I snipped a few still screen captures from the video.  You have now got me interested in slope soaring.   Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: May 13, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »

Quote from: Monz
...the VMC Osprey...
...Airflo...
Don't believe Mr Darby when he decries its performance as limited.  The standard size VMC Osprey is a great little flier in calm air so a 36" span version should do really well.   Took mine to Uffington yesterday as well as the Swallow and JP's No. 1 Apprentice got some really nice hand launched flights out of it.  Noticed JP getting the odd sneaky flight in with it as well.  Smiley

If Andrew & VMC could see their way clear to do an Osprey kit at 11/3 to perhaps 11/2 current size I think they'd have an even better "first model" kit on their hands than the current incarnation.  Straight-forward construction, not too big for the kitchen table and big enough to fly "better".  How about it Andrew?  A slightly modified Osprey fuselage with a larger wing? The VMC Condor?  

Oh dear, that's torn it. Another one, the Airflo, to add to The Lurker Industries Aviation Company's build programme. Smiley

Quote from: LastWoodsman
...stills...  ...slope soaring...
Nice pictures of an aeroplane and scenery, but such a shame about the gormless idiot in the hat ruining the view.

Slope soaring? Nah, that was just flinging a glider and hoping, no RC was involved, but for fun flying I think it's difficult to beat. The aeroplanes are cheap to build (no motor, airscrew or RC gear), much simpler to trim than FF rubber and even a poorly trimmed glider can give you a reasonable flight.  If you don't do something inexpressibly daft (see above: tow launching and how not to do it) even bad landings for gliders are generally soft.  

cvasecuk
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »

Actually, that mention of slope soaring gives me an idea. Why not trim it fly straight and see what happens!
As you know, the Swallow plan gives details of micro RC installation and it did work well in winds up to about 10mph but above that it could not penetrate.
Ron
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »

Well, the Cricket guys were playing all day today, so just for the heck of it, I tried some night flying with the  17 1/2" Air Camper -  three flights of 6 or 7 seconds on a 7" braided motor with 100 finger winds - too windy and gusty - winds  9 mph gusting to 14 mph and 93 % humidity, and way too much standing water in the grass, along with the dewfall, in the Cricket Wicket - it really rained the last couple of days - standing water all over the park.   The plane's tissue was way too wrinkled and soggy to begin with, and moreso after landing in all that water.  I had to settle for a couple of handheld night pics.  There sure were a lot of different colored stars in the night sky tonight!    Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2018, 05:25:18 AM »

What no night cricket? Smiley
John
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: May 14, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »

Quote from: LWM
. . .winds  9 mph gusting to 14 mph and 93 % humidity. . .
Y'know what? The forecast relative humidity here for this afternoon was 38%. I check nearly every day and I've never heard of such a thing. The sky was incredibly blue and the vis. was exceptional. Average humidity here is 80%; even 60% is unusually dry.

I got another couple of flights from the F6F. We've had a run of several fine days of weather, with calm evenings - a better run than I can remember since mebbe 2014. The bullocks were elsewhere so I wound on 980 turns and tweaked some left rudder to stop a straight-line flight as in reply 479. The first flight is the 'airshow' flight; a low-level stall or two for thrills and a close pass for the cameras. The thing is, I'd increased the propeller blade pitch to 36° at ¾ radius [P/D 1.7], and had shimmmed in some upthrust to compensate for the commensurate decrease of thrust. This wasn't needed, obviously.

https://youtu.be/meLX9YBpO5c Edit: just noticed the sound goes wrong and  blasts into white noise after the first flight - will try to sort this out tomorrow morning.

The lack of an aerial mast behind the cockpit is because the  motor peg is in a position that requires the model to be mounted in the stooge upside-down, and the mast fouls the base of the stooge. I was in a rush so neglected to fit the mast after winding.

The second flight (also 980 turns, with upthrust reduced) is interesting (to me anyway) because the model ran out of turns as it landed. This allowed me to measure the average RPM as ≈ 1180. This low, chugging rpm suggests that a 90-second flight is possible.

The nasty keening whining note in the background is from tractors mowing grass for silage.

Stephen.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:25:29 PM by Prosper » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »

Lovely to watch, Stephen, especially that second flight. Great stuff!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »

Very impressive second flight Stephen. The speed and smooth effortless flight and final glide. Great to watch.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

Hi Stephen - great videos of your Grumman F6F Skyraider !   I must say that the first video was quite exciting - kept me right on the edge of my seat - when it came back in right in front of you and swooping low, just missing the  grass before climbing out again, and another low swoop and then recovering and finishing the flight out like a champ!  Nice scenery backdrop for that one too !
      After watching your flights, I went out with the dog at  7:00 PM expecting the Cricket Wicket to be full, and to my astonishment, there was nobody in it.  We finished our walk and came home and packed up the backpack and stooge and headed out forthwith, with the  30" Dumas Rearwin Speedster at  8:00 PM  (sunset is at  8:42 PM),  temp 70 deg F (feels like 81 deg F), winds from the South at 8 mph gusting to 12 mph, and 83% humidity.   I then found out that that 30" Rearwinn Speedster CAN REALLY FLY  even with wrinkled soggy tissue and 8 mph wind, unlike the  17 1/2"  Air Camper.
       I had a total of 13 flights, all of 15  to  24  seconds,  on 450 winds on a Braided (at rest) 15" motor of 3/16" rubber.  And I tied my 24 second record for the Speedster!   I got 12 pics, of which only 6 are not bad.  It was getting pretty dark, but I saw no bats flying around.  And we got home at 9:00 PM, same temp, wind, and humidity, having completed another stress relieving fun flying session - I have to really jump   Shocked  at these chances to fly.  
       Now I am wondering what I have to do to get longer flights - that motor was made from two strands of  3/16" rubber, each strand 30" long, or one loop of 30", braided down to a resting 15" (four strands each 15"),  braided motor (I think), and I am afraid to put more than 450 winds into it ...  Huh
Keep 'em Flying !

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:07:47 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Ex Member

« Reply #541 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Great to watch, I agree to what others have said - that second flight was superb...John’s description of “smooth and effortless” is spot on.

Andrew
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: May 15, 2018, 03:16:42 AM »

Quote from: LWM
. . .expecting the Cricket Wicket to be full, and to my astonishment, there was nobody in it.  .  .
Oh no! Don't say they've lost interest and have defected to that game Americans play - what's it called? With a round bat and a diamond shaped pitch. . ?

I've re-uploaded the video referred to in post #537.

https://youtu.be/4G4ir3jsXs4  It works for me now. I'll delete the broken one shortly.

Hi Pete, John Richard and Andrew, yes, it's a smoothie all right, the F6F. The evening was very calm, adding to the smooth effortless look. It'll be interesting to see how the P-47 compares whenever I finish that and have the chance to fly it. Could the Hellcat be the best for stability and potential duration of any of the low-wing single-engine WWII fighter types so popular with modellers? Remembering that this model has scale dihedral, scale tail areas and scale-ish wing thickness, I think it could be. . .Not a great beauty, but y'can't have everything Smiley.

Those are lovely evening shots LWM.

Stephen.

RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: May 15, 2018, 04:21:08 AM »

That really looked nice.  The birdsong and lovely weather added to a perfect evening flight.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2018, 04:53:43 AM »

Good to see that you are getting your flying in Richard. It looks very pleasant.

The stability of the F6F is surprising. The full size appears to have a proportional larger tail than many other WW 2 aircraft but it appears very stable in roll as well. There is a lesson there somewhere.

John
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2018, 05:41:57 AM »

Richard
A motor of 4 strands 3/16" x 15" long should have a max turns of about 850 so you should be OK to go to at least 750.
Ron
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »

Strung the last rigging wire on this SE5 this morning. This one is 13 years old and has been through a lot so the finishes and tissue are a bit worn. Rebuilt the upper wing on the left side, replaced a wheel and tail skid, added a David Banks pilot and a few more details. Power is a brushless motor (ancient) with a LiPo running through a Smoothie timer (also ancient). This will be my power ship for this season.
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 105

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: May 15, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »

Stephen,

The Hellcat is a great machine for FF. I built one that flies similar to yours. Do you ever exerience a wild wingover when launching into a fair wind?

Richard, love that you're out there flying at all times of the day. There are charts available for determining max winds on the rubber. For 2 loops of 3/16, I use 72 turns per inch as maximum. If you want to push it some day, build you a test motor from the same batch of rubber and wind it till it breaks. Then you'll know for sure.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »

I get the idea that Richard, you fly in a small area so you have to mind your winds or lose a plane. If that is the case, try Google Earth and find your area. Look for big fields then go on a safari. I did just that when we moved here to Palm Bay, and literally stumbled upon the biggest free-flight area in the south. I went out and they just happened to be holding the King Orange there. Big shots travel here to fly competition. Funny thing they all remembered my Dad, "Thee Olde Man", who drove up from the Florida Keys yearly to fly there with his club, I went through his photo album and right there is four pages of photos from Palm Bay. Finding a good place to fly is just as important as building. Thee Olde Man lived in an area surrounded by saltwater so he built float planes. Guys are getting bored with these pics but I never tire of posting 'em to show what a model madman he was! I am impressed by all the flying you get in Richard, and a broken plane doesn't seem to bug you too much.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:34:08 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: May 15, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »

Hi Crabby!  Man it looks like those happy guys had LOTS OF FUN WITH FLOAT PLANES in the good ol' days.  Those ARE great pics Crabby - thanks for posting them - especially that glorious sunset pic of the floatplane over water!   Yeah, Crabby - I am just a small park fun flyer ...   Cool
     Hi Rich Adams - I will take your advise today - I have three, 1/2 pound hanks of rubber ( a very reassuring good feeling I might add ),  from George at Volare - I won't run out like last summer ...  Sad   Rich, your SE5a looks so real with that pilot, it is quintessential.
     Hi  "cvasecuk"    Ron.  Thanks for the tip   "A motor of 4 strands 3/16" x 15" long should have a max turns of about 850 so you should be OK to go to at least 750."    I will work on that today - after I take out the old motor, and see exactly what I braided.
     Hi Stephen.   The Cricket players have not switched to American "Baseball" yet - there are no night lights for the Cricket grounds, and only one Baseball Diamond, out of four, has night lights.  Stephen, I  was so impressed with your two Grumman Skyrocket videos, I "snipped"  18  pics out of them.  Here are the best six - with the sun just right, backdrop just right, focus just right, and neat action shots , making for the best pics.

Get outside and flyyyyyy .......  no better place to be ...   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 75   Go Up
Print
Jump to: