Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 05:38:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 72   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 93308 times)
ZK-AUD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
cman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »

I'd never heard of the Smith Termite so I googled it. Thats a nice looking plane. almost like a Pietenpol but with better lines.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »

I'm preparing for a Free Flight contest nest weekend. I chase my planes with a Yamaha Y80. Works great for what I do. Every once in a while I forget to take my radio reciever so I have to go back for it if I lose sight of my plane.  I decided to add a handlebar bag to the bike so the radio and a bottle of water is always ready to go. I found a nice bike handlebar bag for sale that looked like it would fit.  Looks like it  will work well. A nice feature is that it is removable. There's room for a pair of backpacking binoculars for scanning the field if there is need.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
modler
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

FAC member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »

Hi Derek, which contest?  Huh

Old model building joke: "Build two identical sides!!!"
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »

Hi Derek, which contest?  Huh

The FAI Tangent Classic and the Northwest FAI Challenge right outside of Tangent, Oregon!

Derek
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 01:16:01 AM »

Grin  BUILT AN CF-18 GLIDER FOR THE GRANDKIDS TO PLAY WITH. DOESN`T FLY WELL BUT THEY WON`T CARE. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JIM Roll Eyes Grin
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20:29 AM »

Grin  BUILT AN CF-18 GLIDER FOR THE GRANDKIDS TO PLAY WITH. DOESN`T FLY WELL BUT THEY WON`T CARE. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JIM Roll Eyes Grin

Sweet!

Derek
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 05:36:44 AM »

I am intrigued with the idea of chasing models a motorbike.  It would just not be practical here in England.  We use pedal cycles on some airfields but otherwise it is shank's pony!

But it keeps us fit!

As a matter of interest  can you give a rough guesstimate of how far you travel on your motorcycle for the average retrieval.  I imagine you see that you are flying in the middle of a prairie with nothing for hundreds of miles! 
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »

As a matter of interest  can you give a rough guesstimate of how far you travel on your motorcycle for the average retrieval.  I imagine you see that you are flying in the middle of a prairie with nothing for hundreds of miles!  

I'm not sure how far I travel.  The attached picture is a google satellite image of the flying site:  Parker Field in Tangent, Oregon.  We fly on harvested grass seed fields which go on for miles. Lot's of roads and edge of field obstacles that can catch up one's plane. Most flights are trouble free though. There is a lot of open room.
The yellow lines were typical flights I had flying my E36 with it's two minute max at the last contest. There was a bit of wind so most of the flights crossed the road at the end of the field. I eyeballed the scale so it's approximately 3000 ft. to the road.  The longest flights were close to a mile?  At a typical 2-3 event contest day I would say there would be 12-15 retrievals, maybe 5-7 miles depending on wind speed and required max?  

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »

Fixed an F1B wing over the last week or so. About a 1/4" of the wingtip hit a power pole during a test flight and popped it off. At least the plane fell into some tall weeds so the wing was the extent of the damage.

A bit of glue and carbon tissue reinforcement and it was ready for covering. I used Cover Grip to attach Polyspan. It worked well. Will thin it down a bit more next go around so that it spreads better. Applied the Polyspan, shrunk it and then sealed with Eze-Dope which worked great. Just about ready to spray the patch with Design Master spray paint.  Will be ready to fly in the contest this weekend. Cool

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »

Unpacked the van after a fun contest in Tangent, OR.  I'm charging/discharging my E36/ F1S batteries to their proper storage level.  Then going over my planes to make sure they are in fine shape for the next contest.  I attached a picture of me cranking in hand turns waiting for a thermal in Friday's Tangent FAI Classic.  Fun contest!

What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:42:20 PM by DerekMc » Logged

Derek
kukailimoku
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »

I watched yet another wind-less weekend go by with a new sailplane sitting on the bench.

So I went body-surfing. And had a few beers.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »

After month and month of brainstorming, head scratching and intense engineering I finally updated my old winder with a turn-counter. I know, a torque meter would have been a more useful choice, but I will leave that for the next life  Grin

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

After month and month of brainstorming, head scratching and intense engineering I finally updated my old winder with a turn-counter. I know, a torque meter would have been a more useful choice, but I will leave that for the next life  Grin

Urs

All you need is one of these. Why wait? Smiley

http://volareproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/WilderTorque30.jpg

Derek
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »

Why? Because modelling is fun if you build things with your own hands  Wink
And to make things a little bit more complicated I still dream to make a short torque meter, sort of radial, spiral spring. But dont know how.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55:36 AM »

Okay Urs, for a brilliantly-simple, super-quick method of making a torque-meter, just using card, 15" of 0.020 wire, CA and heatshrink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKReO01kxu0

Courtesy of a guy called Doyle Blevins, found on a random search, summary screenshots below.

I'm going to make one... today?!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »

Remainder of piccies below.

Jon  Smiley
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 01:15:21 AM »

Why? Because modelling is fun if you build things with your own hands  Wink
And to make things a little bit more complicated I still dream to make a short torque meter, sort of radial, spiral spring. But dont know how.

Urs
If you take apart an old, pull start lawn mower, snow blower, etc. you will likely find a spiral spring setup to copy. Depending on just how much torque you use, maybe you can just adapt the whole thing. DON'T take it apart if you need to use it soon for its original purpose. These things can be tricky to get back together. There might be some friction, so keep everything lubed up.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 06:15:56 AM »

Grin  received my p40q kit from Clint Brooks.  its a short kit, no tissue, prop, wire, wheels or canopy.  the wood is good and the drawing is a work of art. gotta check it out

jim Huh Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »

As a matter of interest  can you give a rough guesstimate of how far you travel on your motorcycle for the average retrieval.  I imagine you see that you are flying in the middle of a prairie with nothing for hundreds of miles!  

I'm not sure how far I travel.  The attached picture is a google satellite image of the flying site:  Parker Field in Tangent, Oregon.  We fly on harvested grass seed fields which go on for miles. Lot's of roads and edge of field obstacles that can catch up one's plane. Most flights are trouble free though. There is a lot of open room.
The yellow lines were typical flights I had flying my E36 with it's two minute max at the last contest. There was a bit of wind so most of the flights crossed the road at the end of the field. I eyeballed the scale so it's approximately 3000 ft. to the road.  The longest flights were close to a mile?  At a typical 2-3 event contest day I would say there would be 12-15 retrievals, maybe 5-7 miles depending on wind speed and required max?

Thank you for that Derek - comprehensive answer!  On occasions I have covered by walking in the region of 6 miles (according to the app on my iPhone) but I hasten to add not my own models - helping others whose models fly better.  That looks some flying site. I do not think we have anything like that here apart from as it so happens a local to me airfield of 1000 acres plus but not always available.  The main runway is 2 miles long.  Not entirely unusual for models to go outside the fence.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

Nothing today, but on Sunday I went to the field and discovered it was full of miniature soccer players*, who tend to appear on all large, flat, grassy surfaces. The alternate field had full sized cricket players, though I think maybe there was room for flying too. I didn't want to push it.

*Sometimes I fear that, with all the scheduled activities, America's upper middle class is raising a generation of total conformists.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

Putting sticks together for a Mooney M-18. 
modler
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

FAC member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »

Covered my Jimmie Allen Yellow Jacket.

Old model building joke: "Build two identical sides!!!"
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 01:18:47 AM »

Grin STARTED MY P40Q KIT. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   there was a canopy included after all, i mistook it for packaging  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes. i will be doing a blog of the build, so faer the laser cutting of the parts is right on. and helpful ideas are included in the instructions.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »

i will be doing a blog of the build, so faer the laser cutting of the parts is right on. and helpful ideas are included in the instructions.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Nice! I'll keep an eye out for the build blog.

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »

On the way to a work meeting I stopped at an Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a small fishing scale for initial testing of F1B rubber motors. I'm using Tmat's technique as recorded here:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105619038517716117641/album/AF1QipPehvcdjjfSTN23wG88cFH15f5DHfSUkYKam7Ns

Derek
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 72   Go Up
Print
Jump to: