Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 09:25:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 77   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 99068 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1650 on: August 12, 2019, 02:49:57 AM »

You're making this look too easy Tony Cheesy You have that design well sorted. That's quite a fair bit of twist in that wing and it works well.

John
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1651 on: August 12, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »

Tony you have the magic touch. From design thru construction and still have the Midas touch when flying. LOOKS GREAT.
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1652 on: August 12, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »

Thanks fellas, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The weather has been perfect here as of late.

Just elevation and glide right John.
What could be easier? Roll Eyes
It looks like a lot on paper but the flap positioning hides most of it.
Aero modeling trick witchery. Grin

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1653 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »

Tony, Is a plan available. My grandson would love one - well I would really!
Ron
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1654 on: August 12, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »

Deleted.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Smithy64
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1655 on: August 13, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »

Bought this kit yesterday from Steve Webb Models in Frodsham,  and some balsa sheet and a stripper to get some practice building in.  Spent last night cutting strip balsa ready to practice builds.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1656 on: August 13, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »

You'll enjoy that Smithy.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1657 on: August 14, 2019, 03:53:32 AM »

You'll enjoy that Smithy.

John

Made a start with some practice pieces, made a wing and it’s been educational and fun. I’m a bit slow at present as it takes me a while to decipher what the plan is telling me when it’s something not straight forward. I did get slightly confused by the angle of the end rib, the way it looked on the drawing was confusing till I realised it was angled  Huh

Neil
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1658 on: August 14, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »

So this was what I did today.  Finished glueing a practice piece, learnt a few things, some what not to do which was the whole point of the practice.  I haven’t sanded yet, so it’s in its rough state.  I thought I would build the model with parts that I have cut from sheet balsa before attempting the kit for real.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1659 on: August 14, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »

If you do that with all the pieces you will have two models!  Looking good.

Good photos.  Wink

Ralph
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1660 on: August 14, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »

Smithy, that's enough practice - time to go for it!

Grin Jon
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1661 on: August 14, 2019, 05:32:56 PM »

If you do that with all the pieces you will have two models!  Looking good.

Good photos.  Wink

Ralph

I did think I would do a practice run so I may carry on before I start the kit
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1662 on: August 14, 2019, 05:34:08 PM »

Smithy, that's enough practice - time to go for it!

Grin Jon

Ironing out the mistakes first  Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1663 on: August 15, 2019, 02:59:38 AM »

I agree with Jack - that's a good effort. I noticed support pin impressions on the wing spars. Try holding these in place with scraps of balsa held in place by pins instead of using pins hard up against the spars. This spreads the load on the balsa and gives better support.

I have used pins directly against the balsa components but the other method is much better and I the way I will do it in future as well.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1664 on: August 15, 2019, 03:52:07 AM »

I agree with Jack - that's a good effort. I noticed support pin impressions on the wing spars. Try holding these in place with scraps of balsa held in place by pins instead of using pins hard up against the spars. This spreads the load on the balsa and gives better support.

I have used pins directly against the balsa components but the other method is much better and I the way I will do it in future as well.

John

Thanks for the tip that’s a great idea, and just shows how useful this forum is. You can learn so much in a short time.

Neil
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1665 on: August 15, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »

Managed to pick up the Keil Kraft Gipsy kit from a model shop in York. I noticed online quite a few suppliers were out of stock, so I thought I had better get one while I had the chance.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1666 on: August 15, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »

Managed to pick up the Keil Kraft Gipsy kit from a model shop in York. I noticed online quite a few suppliers were out of stock, so I thought I had better get one while I had the chance.

Nice! I noticed when I was looking at what kits to buy,  that kit was sold out in most places along with a few others which I guess are some of the most popular ones people often build.  Look forward to seeing the result

Neil
riversidedan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1667 on: August 15, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »

replaced the rear peg with a metal bobbin which was too heavy then  with plastic @ 2/3 less weight, they work great and easy rubber load too!!!

CAUTION!! politicians may be harmful to your health
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1668 on: August 16, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »

I have two wings so it looks like I’m just going to build 2 planes.  I’ve learnt quite a bit from these two so far, my second wing was better than the first, it’s a bit more tidy than the first, made a slight mistake with one of the ribs, glued it slightly off and as it’s the one that connects t the centre I will have to do a correction or the wings will be slightly asymmetrical. I think I’m slowly winning.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1669 on: August 17, 2019, 06:13:29 AM »

Smithy you are doing well. There is no replacement for enthusiasm and desire to do better.

There are different approaches to providing spar notches to ribs. If at all possible I find it a bit better to add the spar notches after the ribs are glued between the LE and TE. As an example for the 1/16" spars in your wing I use 2 hacksaw blades(each blade will cut 1/32") stuck together with double sided tape and perhaps a screw and bolt each end. Use the finest tooth blades you can find - I use 32teeth/inch blades.

You then mark the locations at the root and tip and tape a straight edge to the ribs and then saw along it. When sawing pull the blade backwards against the teeth and do not push it forwards as it can grab. You can put a strip of balsa along the blades as a depth stop. This can also help to keep the blades straight.

In the case shown - a KK Elf - I didn't add the spars until I joined the wing panels at the correct dihedral, to try and get a better join at the spars. You will also notice that I made both panels as one unit and then separated and added the bevels on the LE and TE for the dihedral.

When you have spars top and bottom - it's a little harder to take this approach to cutting spar slots. Do the top spars first and when the glue has dried - turn the wing over and use long packing strips underneath it to keep it level and square without any unwanted twist, and then cut the spar slots.

I take this approach instead of adding the slots to the ribs before building the wing as any slight error in the location of the ribs will show up in the spar and may warp the wing.

Of course this is not the only way to build the wings and add spars - as you will see by looking at he builds on HPA. I am just presenting it as an alternative.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1670 on: August 17, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

Smithy you are doing well. There is no replacement for enthusiasm and desire to do better.

There are different approaches to providing spar notches to ribs. If at all possible I find it a bit better to add the spar notches after the ribs are glued between the LE and TE. As an example for the 1/16" spars in your wing I use 2 hacksaw blades(each blade will cut 1/32") stuck together with double sided tape and perhaps a screw and bolt each end. Use the finest tooth blades you can find - I use 32teeth/inch blades.

You then mark the locations at the root and tip and tape a straight edge to the ribs and then saw along it. When sawing pull the blade backwards against the teeth and do not push it forwards as it can grab. You can put a strip of balsa along the blades as a depth stop. This can also help to keep the blades straight.

In the case shown - a KK Elf - I didn't add the spars until I joined the wing panels at the correct dihedral, to try and get a better join at the spars. You will also notice that I made both panels as one unit and then separated and added the bevels on the LE and TE for the dihedral.

When you have spars top and bottom - it's a little harder to take this approach to cutting spar slots. Do the top spars first and when the glue has dried - turn the wing over and use long packing strips underneath it to keep it level and square without any unwanted twist, and then cut the spar slots.

I take this approach instead of adding the slots to the ribs before building the wing as any slight error in the location of the ribs will show up in the spar and may warp the wing.

Of course this is not the only way to build the wings and add spars - as you will see by looking at he builds on HPA. I am just presenting it as an alternative.

John

I like that, some great advice and it makes so much sense to do it that way, cutting individually such small cuts the margin of error is greater. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Neil
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1671 on: August 17, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »

That's a neat solution for accurately slotting wing-ribs John, the only thing I'd worry about is breakout or fracturing the ribs as they aren't supported during cutting.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1672 on: August 17, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »

Indoor flying fun today at our monthly venue!

My Peanut Halberstadt (now re-purposed for Kit Scale duties): https://photos.app.goo.gl/rJo9pbE3r3Ey7vYD7

My Peanut Andreasson BA4B, 44 secs plus 10 sec ROG bonus:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/YEfqdAeiKVca7bVv5

Jon
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1673 on: August 17, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »

Very nice Jon
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1674 on: August 17, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »

JP's Halberstadt is quite the prettiest little machine.  Now this would be bad enough on its own but not only is it a looker the damned thing also turns in long, absolutely rock solid flights as well.  I'm very glad I don't enter KS competitions. Smiley

My own endeavours today were rather frustrated by what turned out to be a loose nose button on my M-10's nose-block playing hob with the thrust line. Only two passable flights to show for the outing.  Never mind, I did get to see how it should be done courtesy of JP and several other flyers.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to: