Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2019, 03:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 93965 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1750 on: September 09, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »

AIR CAMPER  18"  Dumas kit

After our rejuvenating walk in the woods in the late afternoon (the Monarch butterflies are back),  the wind was only  4 mph gusting to 6 mph.    You know what that means ..... off we went to the Cricket Field flying with the  18" Air Camper ...  The new untested  motor is a  14" long,   two strand motor of new  1/8"  rubber (prop hook to rear peg is 6 3/4").
     We got in seven beautiful perfect flights  Cheesy  , except for the one that hit the tree  Huh  ,  we got 14 pics, and the two best flights were 40 seconds each on 825 and 900 stretch winds in a Winding Stooge  .   Here is the best 6 pics.  Full Flight Report later.
     Talk about perfect flights using the whole Cricket Field!!    Grin   Long retrieves too.

Pic #1     3172     The walk out through Jackson Park -  4 mph wind on the flag.
Pic #2     3176     The sun is going down, and the clouds are clearing.
Pic #3     3178     Two little kids running out chasing after the slow flying plane.
Pic #4     3179     Really using the whole field.   Little kid running.
Pic #5     3180     It keeps going and going, just like the Energizer Bunny, floating into the wind.  Little kids are stopped and looking straight up.
Pic #6     3184     Here we go  -  the reason why I like the translucent tissue covering.   Grin

LAASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Smithy64
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1751 on: September 10, 2019, 06:56:30 AM »

That looks like some good flying and a whole lot of fun Lastwoodsman.

Neil
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1752 on: September 10, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »

Thanks Smithy64.   It was a lot of fun!!   Nice high flights, and it was always flirting with danger, flying along the edge of the field, all nice and slow, and it would always eventually make all the turns -  some real excitement there if you know what I mean.   Shocked   This was the best combination of flights yet.  I really recommend this laser cut high wing 18" Air Camper from Dumas.   It really is a great flyer - especially for a first flying model - great kit and great instructions.   Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1753 on: September 10, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

Hmmm,the dog looks impressed...
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1754 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

Woody
you are having entirely too much fun. Thanks for sharing.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: September 11, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »

Made a tailplane, should have done the last bits of the fuselage but I could leave this to dry while I finished widening the drive to the house ready for winter.  I’m getting close to having to apply the tissue, but I’m back to work on Saturday so that will have to be next week.

Neil
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: September 11, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »

I would like to throw in here,  the second half, if I may, of the Air Camper flight report of Monday Sept 9 2019,  continued from Reply #1750   above.   Just six more pics, and the rest of the story.   I am already behind on three other flight reports, so I might as well finish this here ...  Undecided
      Anyway, it is another heat wave now - high 80s deg F, feels like low 100s deg F -  so no flying now.    
     Thanks Buster11 and ironmikey.  Looking back, it was really something to see how interested those two little kids were.   They were always watching very intently, and right up close, when I loaded the plane in the stooge, and took off the nose block and stretch winded the rubber and put it all back together, as I spoke of every move.   They saw all the first 6  flights and watched me wind 5 flights up so close, they were even handing me the next pieces.   Cheesy   What a contrast to the teenagers from the high school next door, who just can't take their eyes off of their cell phones   Angry at all ... really ...  Tongue   Grin  - and the Zombies walking around blind,  playing Pokeymon on their cell phones ...  but I digress  ...

Flight #1   675 winds   30 sec    -  all perfect left hand flights
Flight #2   675   34 sec
Flight #3   750   40 sec
Flight #4   825    crash into tree trunk
Flight #5    825   40
Flight #6    900    34
Flight #7     900   40

Pic #1     3173    The "star" on top of the Spruce tree.
Pic #2     3174     Using the whole field.
Pic #3     3175     The landing.
Pic #4     3181     The boy helped with a retrieve.   The grass is really nice and high here now.
Pic #5     3182     Sunset flight Sept 9 2019.
Pic #6     3183     It just ran out of rubber motor power, and has straightened out from its left turn, and is now gliding out towards the Spitfire and Hurricane replicas in the distance.

The wind had picked up by the time I left after 7 flights.  We got back at  7:30 PM  -  temp now just a little cooler at 66 deg F (68),  the winds did change direction a little (caused me to change my launch spot), and a little stronger,  and right at the limit of wind speed for this little 18" er,   now blowing at 8 mph from the SouthEast,  gusting to 12 mph, and 78% humidity.
     It is rare to have such nice flying conditions, with good grass, no Cricket Players, and no Auxilliary Police,  and a trimmed-out model,  so I do really treasure these "spur of the moment" excursions,  out into the world of outdoor Free Flight Rubber-powered balsa model airplanes, and Small Park Flying.
     And that is the end of the little, late summer evening, Flight Report of Sept 9 2019,  in the Cricket Field of Jackson Park, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, with the 18" parasol Air Camper.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: September 11, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »

That looks fantastic and a great days flying Lastwoodsman

Neil
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: September 11, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »

Watched B2s (3) coming in to land at Fairford while out for our evening stroll; other than that precious little.  All building and repair work here suspended for at least the next 2 and a bit weeks.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:01 AM »

Nice flights Richard and it must have been rewarding to see the kids enjoying it. Good fun.

John
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: September 12, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »

Took a break from the Hawker Hart  and started making this from the plan gallery in the hope of learning from a bit of flying on something basic.

Neil
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: September 12, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »

Grin  i mauled my MAULER. she is now ready for battle. pics enclosed

SHAMELESS PLUG

we now have an election in Canada for a new government.  i intend to work for a candidate and do my civic duty. i urge all CANADIANS  to get out and take an interest  in the election because, in the end you get the government you deserve and deserve the government you get.

yanks, your turn is next year

jim Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: September 12, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »

Took a break from the Hawker Hart  and started making this from the plan gallery in the hope of learning from a bit of flying on something basic.

Neil

Nice idea Neil. Nicely timed with the decent flying weather too  Wink
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: September 12, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »

Neil

Nice idea Neil. Nicely timed with the decent flying weather too  Wink

That’s what I thought should be a nice day tomorrow before I’m back in work at the weekend.

Neil
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: September 12, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »

Covered this Comet Pepper built from an excellent Volare Products kit.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: September 12, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »

That looks really great Scot

Neil

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: September 12, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »

Pepper looks great Scot!

I carved and sanded a pair of cute little 4.5" props for my Megow Skyrocket.  Finally bit the bullet and moved on from the kit-type 3-blade props, which break so frequently I've never really been able to trim out the model.  We'll see how these work out...

Mike
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: September 13, 2019, 03:08:17 AM »

Pepper looks great Scot!

I carved and sanded a pair of cute little 4.5" props for my Megow Skyrocket.  Finally bit the bullet and moved on from the kit-type 3-blade props, which break so frequently I've never really been able to trim out the model.  We'll see how these work out...

Mike

They look fantastic Mike I’m just about to attempt to make a prop not sure of the technique but will look online see if I can find something to help.

Neil
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: September 13, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »

They look fantastic Mike I’m just about to attempt to make a prop not sure of the technique but will look online see if I can find something to help.
You need the Swiss Army Knife with the propellor-carving blade. It's the one next to the thing that gets stones out of horses' hooves.
Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: September 13, 2019, 08:09:20 AM »

Attempted my first flying today, may be more appropriate to say I went crashing today  Grin. So my first attempt crashed almost immediately and off came the wings  Shocked after a quick repair I decided to try a different location as were I was there were too many dogs on the loose. Thought I’d head to the beach but thwarted by high tide.  So I ended up on top of a hill, not ideal wind wise but I did manage to at least try to fly.

The synopsis is crashed numerous times, lost the wings a further 3 times, I gave up after the last time I lost them. But in between the wing fixes it did fly a few times probably at best around 10 seconds and did a few tight circles. I think it was too windy on the hill as the best flights were when the wind had calmed down for a short while. This model was supposed to have a 5” prop but I only had a 6” not sure if that made the prop too heavy?

All in all it was a bit of fun, not sure how much I learnt from it but I will see next time after repairs, the last flight went disastrously wrong, but I noticed the tail fin had loosened which explains the lack of flight and it was the only one I attempted to video, so I have a nice 2 sec clip of it plummeting into the ground.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44:52 AM »

Nice try Smithy64!!   I have plummeted many flights into the ground too.   Cry   Just wait til you get that fixed, and you get her balanced and trimmed, and you should be off to the races -  just keep trying - have you got enough clay weight to add?   I would start at low winds, like about 30 winds, till that number of winds flies nice, and then work your way up in number of winds from there.   Thanks for posting the old College effort.  Grin   The wind has to be  8mph  or less for me to fly 22" down to 18" models.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Smithy64
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »

Nice try Smithy64!!   I have plummeted many flights into the ground too.   Cry   Just wait til you get that fixed, and you get her balanced and trimmed, and you should be off to the races -  just keep trying - have you got enough clay weight to add?   I would start at low winds, like about 30 winds, till that number of winds flies nice, and then work your way up in number of winds from there.   Thanks for posting the old College effort.  Grin   The wind has to be  8mph  or less for me to fly 22" down to 18" models.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Thanks for the encouragement I didn’t have any clay? Wouldn’t know what to do with it, I’m guessing adding weight to the nose but not sure how to work it all out yet. I’ll have a look at some trimming advice and go from there again when I have more time.

Neil
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »

Good am Smithy
You got the perfect plane to play with as you figure out trimming. Don't quit as I know that plane will fly. Next time you fly see if you can post a video so we can play too! The beach would seem like a good place to fly but I have only seen but a few calm beach days for flying rubber powered contraptions. (1) get her gliding to your satisfaction, (2) add power a little at a time (3) be scientific about the process and take notes. The clay is used for balance.  Now let's see if I can follow my own advice! Calling Dr. Yak 52 or Dr. Flydean  come in please!

The Threadkiller!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: September 13, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »

I’ll have a look at some trimming advice ...

Long grass and no wind  Grin
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: September 13, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »

Covered this Comet Pepper built from an excellent Volare Products kit.

Great job on the Pepper Scot! I have its more buxom sister the Sparky! it is a no fail plane and can take as much power as I have guts to throw at her. ALWAYS up for flying in any weather. The Pepper has been on my build list for a long time. For fun look at some of the flights Flyguy has gotten deep in the concrete jungle of NYC with his Pepper!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73   Go Up
Print
Jump to: