Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2020, 12:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 120765 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2325 on: September 07, 2020, 04:15:43 AM »

That wing/fuselage junction looks like an interesting covering exercise Mike! I'll have a look for the original magazine article. i always had the impression it was meant to be used as a rubber powered racer as well as for general flying. It has a long motor with only moderately sized wings!

John
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 106

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2326 on: September 07, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »

John, the upper inboard surface of the wing is supposed to be covered with "stiff paper" to blend it with the fuselage.  Haven't yet decided whether to do that or sheet that area - either will simplify covering.  I may add a bit of infill around the wing LE to serve as tissue anchors.

The article ends with a comment that "This design can be readily converted into a contest racer by reducing the area  of the wing and stabilizer, by thinning the airfoil section, by substituting smaller and thinner wheels, and also by discarding the pants."  I seem to recall a fashion in the 1970s (witnessed in person at my oldest sister's high school graduation) for discarding pants and racing around, but that was I think something completely different...

Mike
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2327 on: September 08, 2020, 02:40:24 AM »

Have to say that my posterior parts twitch and contract any time I see the words rubber-powered and fast in the same sentence - I spend my life avoiding that (the fast models that is!)  But back then rubber powered speed seems to have been a thing as evidenced in my old Zaic yearbooks 
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2328 on: September 14, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »

Here is the latest prototype of the GLIDER HIGH START TOW LINE FLY OFF Trophy  -   yet to be started.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2329 on: September 14, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

Well, ...  after missing Undecided   two flying days (low wind),  which fell on the last two weekends,  when the Cricket guys were playing all day,   today we got our chance.
     I would not be able to forgive myself if I did not go flying in our lush Jackson Park and Cricket field -  no students and no Cricket players during the afternoon (and no dew in the afternoon)  -  what with all of the Corona virus lockdowns, and fires preventing us from model flying.    We got in some great practice using two high start tow lines.    Got a total of  11 flights  and the longest was 17 seconds.
     The total blue sky days are gone starting today this morning, when I could not see a sky-lightening sunrise coming (they called it overcast, but I think it is smoke haze),  as the smoke from the fires on the West Coast of North America, have now blown East over to the Great Lakes (me),  or so I postulate ....
     Here are a few pics,  and a full Flight Report coming later -  Flight Report #11  OSPREY Glider Monday September 14 2020..

Pic #1     6781     The Sunken Gardens of Jackson Park.  An army of parks city workers will start on removing that huge biomass of plants,  any day now.

Pic #2     6783      First Flight.   The  0.045" rubber Tow Line is stretched 20 paces ...

Pic #3     6784      A nice 12 second perfect flight going left.    Pink flagging tape is in freefall.

Pic #4     6788      Gliding out by the treetops.

Pic #5     6798     A very high release ...

Pic #6     6803     Beautiful thick grass.

Full Flight Report #11  to follow.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:10:02 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2330 on: September 14, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »

I updated the P30Page with a couple new planes, fixed links, deleted bad links and reorganized parts of it.  It's almost up to date.  www.p30page.weebly.com

I wrote the introduction to the P30 Primer  It's about 50% finished.  Lot's of topics to cover....

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2331 on: September 14, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »

Getting the Big Cat Embryo ready for a contest this weekend. Already have the Jimmy Allen Special ready along with the F-16 jet cat and my T-33 too. Gollywock  and Skidoo 23 for testing as well as a HLG Whistler changed to Catapult glider.  Gonna be FUN. Did forget to mention my old Sparky is going too.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2332 on: September 15, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »

It turns out my postulation was correct,   in Reply # 2329  above  -
Quote from me   "The total blue sky days are gone starting today this morning, when I could not see a sky-lightening sunrise coming (they called it overcast, but I think it is smoke haze),  as the smoke from the fires on the West Coast of North America, have now blown East over to the Great Lakes (me),  or so I postulate ...."  
       Today on the weather channel they posted a pic of the smoke in North America going East from the west coast -  the fires are really really really bad now ...

Pic #1     WILDFIRE SMOKE BLOWING EAST OVER GREAT LAKES

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Edit :   Hey - good news - this pic expands twice properly !   Roll Eyes

kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #2333 on: September 15, 2020, 03:13:21 PM »

we got some here that are displaced due to fires.......wow...we are kind in a bind these days!
best wishes, and hope everyone got out safely with their pets!
Marc
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2334 on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »

Finished off the fin & fuselage legends for my VMC Bird Dog and was forcibly reminded why I like schemes with next to no markings and proved to myself that 6mm high lettering is my lower limit for cut tissue.

Black tissue for the serials & USAF legend, 45gsm printed barred roundel.  I am, of course showing the best side*, the horizontal alignment on the port side is slightly out for both fuselage legend & fin serial.  

Wings tomorrow & possibly Friday.

Lurk.

*I do have some pride you know, not much but some.

P.S.  Those blessed UC legs!  Constantly snagging them whilst try to do stuff.  Grrr.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2335 on: September 16, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »

It looks pretty good to me Lurk! It would make an interesting looking model without all the cabin glazing - sort of Pietenpolish or 1930 sort of homebuilt. Guess the mind is wandering! Smiley

John

TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2336 on: September 17, 2020, 12:53:24 AM »

Quote from: OZPAF...
It looks pretty good to me...
Thanks, but ...*Proffers spare pair of specs.*  Smiley

It'll have to do.  It's annoying because this is was the best covering job I've done for a while and a combination of clumsiness and tiredness have given rise to a couple of wince-inducing gaffes in the decoration.  No, I'm not going to say what they are but they stick out like a sore thumb if you know the general USAF scheme.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2337 on: September 17, 2020, 03:56:31 AM »

I think Lurk it is Like when you hang wall paper - because you know where a blemish it is all you see when entering the room.  Anyone else would search for ever and not see it.  Rest assured, to many many folk it will be more than acceptable. Nice and neat - looks exactly as it should - a nicely built and well presented model aircraft.
Mike Thomas
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2338 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:39 AM »

Lurk, think wabi sabi. The aesthetics of perfect imperfection. The evidence of the human hand in the created object.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2339 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »

Quote from: Mike Thomas
... wabi sabi...
Having looked it up, thank you for that BTW, a new idea to me, I don't think my bodges, blunders and gaffes are quite covered by the philosophy.  Which is a pity 'cos I could look all knowing, zen and wise when someone says, "Ah but this bit here isn't quite..."  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 139

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2340 on: September 17, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »

I have somewhat more or less mastered the art of perfect imperfection, known as imperfect imperfection. FI!

The Threadkiller!
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #2341 on: September 17, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »

I have a much smaller field to use now then when I was up in the mountains so I found the need to control my models a bit.  I purchased some mini recievers and servos to use with my DX6 a couple years back.  Finding the proper plugs, batteries, and wiring was daunting so I hadn't moved very far with it.  Any way I was able to get it all assembled and binded to my transmitter and it works!  About 6 grams altogether.  I'm going to see if I can get it to work with a Cloudbuster that I have just as an experiment.....probably need a larger plane.   I can use the weight to offset some of the nose weight I was using so I'm not sure what total weight gain will be.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:52:10 PM by pedwards2932 » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2342 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »

Sounds similar to the weight of the gear used by Flyguy - it should work well. Be careful about using too small a battery though - yours looks like 30mah?

I guess another factor of perfect imperfection is time- as for example, it looks bad on completion and 6 months later it looks great Smiley

John
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2343 on: September 17, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »

Yes it's a 30 mah.  I am going to test it on the ground to see how long it will last.....I was trying to stay as light as I could.  There are several lighter recievers out now where I could reduce the weight but I am going to try with what I have for now.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2344 on: September 17, 2020, 09:10:57 PM »

With a 30 mAh, you get about 20-30 min. 'on' time, so check the battery after flights, it's usually good for 2 or 3 flights, then I change it. For the extra weight of a gram, I tend to use the 70mAh batteries, that gives you a good 40-50 min. 'on' time and you can get in a whole bunch of flights with that, like 5.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2345 on: September 17, 2020, 09:16:55 PM »

Sounds good to me I have 4 of the 30 mah batteries so I can switch them out.  For now I am testing to see if this will work okay in the field I use.  One question if the wind is pushing the plane away from you can you still make it work against wind?  I assume that it won't work if there is too much wind.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2346 on: September 17, 2020, 10:05:00 PM »

That's what I do, bring a few fully charged batteries and you're good for the day.

In my experience you can get away with wind up to about 10mph, more that that and you're in trouble, but of course it depends on the size/weight of the plane. You can zig zag into the wind to head upstream and do some other stuff. One thing I've learned is that you have to be more aggressive early on on windy days, I used to fly 'free-flight' style and hold off on doing anything, but then it gets too far away. Now I'm more aggressive about keeping it overhead, I'm flying in a very small field. Here's a windy day example on a 10mph day, there are times when the plane is actually going backwards! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieTzAQEaJ3s

But it also depends on the plane and size/weight. I've noticed that the Stahl Hurricane, a nice sleek low wing, and it weighs a little more, has pretty good wind penetration; here's another windy day example where it again it gets up to about 10 mph, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuWFgSi5X4

There are again some moments where it can't go forward because of the wind, and just 'hangs', but it has nice penetration and I get it back to the field for a landing.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2347 on: September 20, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »

A little more imperfection for connoiseurs of that sort of thing.  Finished off the lettering and cabin glazing which took a surprisingly long time*.  My, but the glazing is a fraught old process.  I also managed to drop the blessed glue stick on the wing necessitating a repair.  Several bad words were said and a degree of exasperation at one's clumsiness was also expressed quite vehemently.

A few bits of painting, exhausts, nose underside, prop. and other twiddling to do so probably another 4 or 5 days before it can be rolled out.

ETA, currently tipping the scales, sans motor * wing struts, at 28g. 

*Most of this weekend.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2348 on: September 20, 2020, 04:21:04 PM »

Very good indeed Lurk!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2349 on: September 20, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »

Lurk,
         I have just reglazed my VMC Bird Dog and found it easier to split the main piece into 3, with the sides being done first and then the front and rear screens seperately. I slso found some lighter material that was a little more flexible and that helped. RC 56 worked well as an adeshive. Weight with rubber and an Ikara prop is 32 gm. The nose block is held in with a magnet.
Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98   Go Up
Print
Jump to: