Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 11:19:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 130185 times)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2600 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »

We have red kites. One was circling around my Coupe flight yesterday but luckily cleared off
oldgit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2601 on: March 31, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

Pete,

I regularly see a Peregrine falcon in my garden. i think it nests in the woods at the end of the street. after we have seen it there always seems to be a lack of wood pigeons, blackbirds etc. I have had one touch my leg in the garden as it hit a blackbird. the speed and sound as it hit was amazing.

Roger

Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2602 on: March 31, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »

These from my garden a couple of days ago. Number 3 is a good example of tail tilt in operation. I've shared thermals with many different species of birds, but a first for me was when flying with a couple of friends last summer. A pair of Herons joined us and circled just above for a few minutes.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Ignore
« Reply #2603 on: March 31, 2021, 01:07:46 PM »

Blimey Roger- if you've got a rabbit or a small dog it had better watch out! Those are super pics, Kevin!

I've seen kites quite near here, but never actually from home. I know because I keep a running list of bird species seen in or over the garden since we moved here in 2006. 29 species so far. Birds of prey to date are today's peregrine falcon plus tawny owls, a sparrow hawk (sitting in our apple tree munching on a headless pigeon) and of course fairly regular buzzards and kestrels. Hope to add a red kite to the list at some point. They are increasingly common I know, but still great to see, although apparently they were disparagingly known as 'dung hawks' in Shakespeare's day due to their scavenging habits (but substituting the word 'dung' for one rhyming with 'flight').
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:39:37 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Richard Hewitt
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2604 on: April 01, 2021, 01:41:40 AM »

Kaintuck, that's an unusually-shaped jig, just to build a vibraphone!  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Ignore
« Reply #2605 on: April 01, 2021, 07:00:55 AM »

First two flights of my dad’s latest. Something strangely familiar about that Fox Moth!
Nice bit of bird song in the background.
https://youtu.be/DBYzGZAY1Ks
https://youtu.be/WbdKRBr_u_s

Almost makes me want to try this RC lark too. Almost...
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #2606 on: April 01, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »

Almost makes me want to try this RC lark too. Almost...

Superb. It looks like he's been flying it for years (in that coat, too!). I've said before that I think Martin has the best approach - build lots of good models without getting bogged down in too much detail. He must have built more than the rest put together.
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2607 on: April 01, 2021, 07:40:45 AM »

What a beauty. The first plan-built RC scale model I flew was your Dad's little Bristol Scout design, that is not far off 30 years ago.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2608 on: April 02, 2021, 05:52:52 AM »

Beautiful photos and models Kevin.

It's great to see your father still enthusiastically building and flying, Peter. Yes give RC a go as well - you don't have to drop your FF.

John

atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2609 on: April 03, 2021, 03:49:36 AM »

I finished the repairs on the Comet Allied Sport Trainer, which I had originally built in Comet C/U here in HPA about a decade ago. She used to be a dependable flyer but was prematurely decommissioned due an unplanned encounter with a fence-post. The uncovered bones, and whatever was left of the wings, have lived in a box until a couple weeks ago. The color scheme is whatever looked OK at the moment. Glides well in the backyard. 20" w/s, ~13g less rubber. I'm planning to use a single loop of 1/8" just like I did before though I may go for a longer motor (15" loop maybe, which would be 2x hook-to-peg).

--Ates
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2610 on: April 03, 2021, 05:43:42 AM »

I think the Chinese government have been unfairly blamed for the current balsa shortage! The recent output of a certain Mr Bill Dennis plus the Fardell Father and Son team have obviously had a big part in it!!!! LOL 
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #2611 on: April 03, 2021, 06:16:28 AM »

Kaintuck, that's an unusually-shaped jig, just to build a vibraphone!  Grin

Lol , had to stop on jigging for a few days...needed a old profile ff built, changed to a RC.....2ch Seibel 020 pusher powered. Working here on that dang greenhouse out front! Seems I fail at making canopies  Tongue
Marc
https://ibb.co/z4Sp1TZ
What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #2612 on: April 03, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »

That's lovely Ates!  Smiley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2613 on: April 04, 2021, 02:52:19 AM »

It's great to see your father still enthusiastically building and flying, Peter. Yes give RC a go as well - you don't have to drop your FF.

No no no... don't give RC a go!  It'll eat ravenously into your psyche and making time!!!! Shocked  ...I speak from bitter experience!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2614 on: April 04, 2021, 02:53:18 AM »

That's lovely Ates!  Smiley

I agree - what a pretty little model!
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #2615 on: April 04, 2021, 03:43:38 AM »

No no no... don't give RC a go!  It'll eat ravenously into your psyche and making time!!!! Shocked  ...I speak from bitter experience!

Well... to be fair, yes, RC does tend to rather eat into one's making time, that's true - but it provides it's own form of aeronautical delight which is quite different from FF. The tricks are carefully selecting what projects you attempt, and flying regularly enough to learn how to control the model properly.

I find the only time it's damaged my psyche is when I have started building from a kit or plan that doesn't really hang together and requires many changes to make it work.

I put it to m'learned colleague that, properly managed, there's room for both RC and FF...

A.

kaintuck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2616 on: April 04, 2021, 02:28:16 PM »

The DMC sopwith needed a tweek on the pushrods....they were flopping, and inconsistent throws at rudder/elevator....
Very tedious work!...I'm learning how to get it done right the 1st time!
https://ibb.co/q05fg9N

Maybe now she will fly....
Marc
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2617 on: April 04, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »

Well... to be fair, yes, RC does tend to rather eat into one's making time, that's true - but it provides it's own form of aeronautical delight which is quite different from FF. The tricks are carefully selecting what projects you attempt, and flying regularly enough to learn how to control the model properly.

I find the only time it's damaged my psyche is when I have started building from a kit or plan that doesn't really hang together and requires many changes to make it work.

I put it to m'learned colleague that, properly managed, there's room for both RC and FF...

A.

I do like the notion of 'aeronautical delight' !  Smiley
kaintuck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2618 on: April 05, 2021, 10:43:35 AM »

https://ibb.co/HzP1Gzq

Making some slotting tools, much needed to have better stringer to fuse formers.....
Marc
kaintuck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2619 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:11 AM »

Pnut spitfire still in progress, and a Guillow s hawker typhoon remake... Grin
https://ibb.co/N9sSXW9
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2620 on: April 10, 2021, 12:49:31 PM »

Cleaning up a couple of old plans, the 15" W/S Lysander by Megow, and a very challenging Vultee V-11GB by Whitman. The idea is to make them useable to build from while still maintaining as much original as possible from the old plan.
ian
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 106

Ignore
« Reply #2621 on: April 10, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »

Nice work Ian.  I scanned a couple of blue-background plans and converted them to black-line images (Ace Whitman's Gulfhawk was one of them, it's in the plans gallery).  I did it by scanning them in black-and-white, then applying Paint's "Invert Color" function to change the image from white on black to black on white.  There was some minor cleanup to do afterwards, but it was quick and I was pleased with the result.

Mike
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2622 on: April 10, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »

Thanks for doing that Mike. I did do the Vultee with a colour inversion. I played around with grayscale vs colour, but the colour allows more precise identification of lines. But if you want to see difficult, you should see the second page of the plan where it has the formers printed. Almost illegible! Requires special enhancements to see them.

I believe that we should make as many plans as possible available in the various plan storage sites so that this history won't be lost to future generations. If anyone gets hold of one that isn't available, or if they can make a better copy than is currently available, it would be much appreciated.
ian
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2623 on: April 10, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »

Completed a  P-30.
Meteoro

65 grams no rubber, not balanced yet CG is aft a bit

As things go.

Sundance12[/size][/size]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:06:38 PM by Sundance12 » Logged

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #2624 on: April 10, 2021, 04:06:23 PM »

Sundance

That's a nice looking P30 you have built, what's more are you going to build the plan underneath, Les Trumeaux?

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: