Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 05, 2020, 05:55:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting started with something that weighs a pound or two  (Read 139 times)
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »

Put this on your list of strange requests:

I want to get some simple EDF foamie, convert the elevator for control line, lock down the ailerons and rudder, and keep the radio for the throttle.  Extra points if it's scale, because there's a competition category for ARF scale.

Suggestions?  Especially for something specific?  I'll be flying off of pavement.  Control line usually demands more power than RC -- when you're doing a scale WWII bird, for example, you'd take an RC kit and use an engine from the top end of the recommended range as your starting point.

This is an end-point to my EDF endeavors, but I'm wise enough not to start there:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Northrop-X4-Bantam.jpg/1024px-Northrop-X4-Bantam.jpg
Getting started with something that weighs a pound or two
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »

Some of the 50 to 64mm EPS EDF's of old might fit the bill. Avoid the heavy EPO stuff.  Do the models have to loop and not describe the classic figure "9"? What is the required run time?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 04:25:55 PM »

For scale competition (which is what I'm contemplating), there's a bunch of very non-aerobatic maneuvers and other operations to choose from.

Run time is 3-6 minutes if I want full score -- but I could deal with less, at least while I'm climbing the learning curve.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:39:46 PM »

There is a scale ARF class? I thought the focus on scale was the building of a model that mimics the full size. Got a link to this class of model and the rules governing it?

If you don't have to loop then this opens up a whole score of models if you can remove the 2lb weight limit.

TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »

There is a scale ARF class? I thought the focus on scale was the building of a model that mimics the full size. Got a link to this class of model and the rules governing it?

Full rules here, search for "Fun Scale".

The idea is for people to get their feet wet, but it's mostly old scale hands having fun with ARFs.

3.3.5. Event 526 - Fun Scale.

3.3.5.1. Intent.

Fun Scale is intended to provide a Scale event which, while requiring a realistic Scale flight, minimizes the Scale research and model construction efforts.

The contestant is not required to be the builder of the model. The contest director may classify Fun Scale participation into two (2) separate events. The first event, Event 526, would be reserved for the more experienced control line scale fliers. The second event, Event 526N, would be for novices who are  beginners in control line scale flying.

If you don't have to loop then this opens up a whole score of models if you can remove the 2lb weight limit.

I kinda want the weight limit to spare my shoulder (fast & heavy = lots of pull), and I kinda want to limit the expense.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 04:56:20 PM »

Are you aware of this vendor?
https://www.bananahobby.com/electric-edf-jets-foam.html

TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:58:52 PM »

I am now!  Can I just buy something from them and have it work, or will it be a saga with poorly-made parts and no directions, like you detail in some of your stories here?
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:17 PM »

You want plug and play CL, EDF under 2 lbs.  Roll Eyes
Most of my write ups are dealing with system integration. So your CL stuff will basically be a total gutting of the system provided.

Foam at this price point will always look second rate. EPO even more so. And black or dark EPO will look like pop corn in a mater of seconds.

Like you said you are just looking to test the waters.

These may do just that. But I don't think any will be barn burners or bring home any hardware.

Another vendor
https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=470_471_653

TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »

So do you recommend any of the jets they sell, or are there specific brands you like.

This A4 looks kinda cool; it's not a bad size for a feasibility test, and I could waltz into the Northwest Regionals with a scale entry (and lose, but the point is to enter).
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »

Nope, I'm just showing what is out there is the small ARF foamy EDF market. I've never looked at these models with an eye towards CL.

All the best,
Konrad

TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 05:08:43 PM »

You want plug and play CL, EDF under 2 lbs.  Roll Eyes

At least initially, yes.  Ideally I'll either learn enough to buy parts for a real one (there's no X-4 Bantam kits out there), or I'll actually be able to harvest the drive system from one (assuming it's not been custom-made to fit in the airframe).

Most of my write ups are dealing with system integration. So your CL stuff will basically be a total gutting of the system provided.

Not totally -- I'd be keeping the EDF and ESC; those are the two things I feel the least confident about.  I know exactly how to proceed when there's a propeller involved, but my EDF experience is nil.

Foam at this price point will always look second rate. EPO even more so. And black or dark EPO will look like pop corn in a mater of seconds.

Like you said you are just looking to test the waters.

These may do just that. But I don't think any will be barn burners or bring home any hardware.

Oh, totally understood.  And not the point, at this point.

Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »

Sorry I know of no turn and burn CL edf that meet your requierments.

Now these might be the Bee's Knees. I don't know about supply. I will say that I have flown his EDF jets and they are some of the best light weight foam EDF in the 60mm to 64mm class. The Alfa A4 might fit the bill.
https://www.alfamodel.cz/index.php?_RQhow=text2&_RQwhat=firma&_RQid=0221&_RQid_2=0222%2FB&_RQlang=eng&_RQstate=usa

TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »

I don't expect to find a CL RTF -- the market segment is much too small.  An RTF that works well for RC should be an excellent starting point for CL, though.
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 05:40:50 PM »

As an alternative, a suggestion for some sort of jet trainer plans, and an exact and current bill of materials for the propulsion system (EDF, motor if separate, ESC, and battery) would suit.
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »

What is shipping like from the Czech republic to the US?
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »

Last time I did it about 7 years ago it was very reasonable. (I think I ordered 4 kits the mass and volume curves crossed at that point ).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: