Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 07, 2020, 12:52:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peanut scale brushless motor RC set up  (Read 1548 times)
Cedricgolfbag
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »

Hi
Can anyone help me? I'm building an SE5 peanut from stick and tissue. I would like to use a brushless motor and modern RC gear. Can anyone point me in the right direction of motor and battery specs also esc and receiver specs. This is all new too me as I used to build and fly old school ic stuff and have only rekindled my interest in building and flying models.
Any help gratefully received
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »

Micron Radio Control in the UK may be a good starting point.  Other than that there are many videos on the 'net. 

Ralph
Cedricgolfbag
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

Thanks Ralph. Good starting point.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »

Hi Cedricgolfbag,

I think you will find that at such small sizes (RC Peanut is really getting towards the smallest you can go with off the shelf components) that brushed coreless geared motors still have a role to play. Most people building this small would use a Parkzone style brick (probably cadged from a crashed Ember/Champ/Su-26/Mustang) which integrates receiver, ESC and servo's on the one tiny board.

Ultimately it depends on the all up weight of your model and how much thrust you will need for the style of flying you want. There are some nice micro brushless motors in the 2-5g range.

A key choice will be the number of cells - 1S or 2S. This will be a factor in the choice of other components as they will need to be suitable for run either at 3.7V (low voltage servos needed) or 7.4V (likely with a BEC providing 5V to the servos.)

There's plenty of good data on how much thrust each set up can be expected to provide, as a starting point for a design.

Otherwise if you just wish to get started in modern RC it may be sensible to build something a little bigger first, say 25-30" span and all up weight of 100-150g. This would be the size where you can use individual micro components, a 2S lipo, 5-10g motor, separate ESC, RX and 2-4g micro servos. With the availability of such gear at remarkable prices this would be an easier entry point perhaps. (But more oriented towards outdoor park flying.)

Do you already have a transmitter? If so this may dictate what's available too. I use a Spektrum DX6i for this sort of thing which is flexible and works with the very affordable DSMX receivers as well as micro bricks.

Jon
Cedricgolfbag
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »

Thanks Jon very useful information. Might make sense to build a bigger model. I could always run my peanut on elastic! Thanks again

Tim
Gryshnak
Nickel Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:35 PM »

I know this thread is from last year, but things have gotten smaller and lighter since then.

You still need to add a prop (3") and battery (50-70mAh), but you can keep the total weight below 10g if you are careful.

Alternatively,  you can use a gearbox to swing a 5" prop at the cost of another 1.4g.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Peanut scale brushless motor RC set up
The Wuffler
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 05:42:11 AM »

NFI ........At present, I`m also having a go at a small rc model for the first time after seeing these little rascals on the WW1 Aircraft Facebook page. These models are foam and the SE5 is 14" wingspan....I dare say that with a built up structure, this sort of radio stuff would work in a 13" model....  https://microaces.myshopify.com/collections/microaces-r-a-f-se5a
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: