Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 22, 2019, 05:06:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slim Dixie SLOP  (Read 503 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »

Hi all,
over the last couple of years I have been building my models using those cheap carbon fiber fishing poles from China. The poles taper slightly so you have to buy two for left and right spars but at around $20 for a 7.2m pole you can afford to splash out. Over the last year or so I have built a couple of E36's,a F1G,a F1B and a new Slow 520 SLOP model using these tubes. My latest creation is this yet another version of the evergreen Dixielander.

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Slim Dixie SLOP
Slim Dixie SLOP
Slim Dixie SLOP
Slim Dixie SLOP
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »

Very nice simple version of the Dixielander.
I really like the use of the carbon tube reinforcement of the pylon. I always worried that the slim pylon was a bit iffy on lateral twisting.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »

Hi John,yes it feels nice and stiff. The fuselage tube is 16mm diameter and the pylon is made from 10mm diameter tubing let into the 16mm tube. If you are interested in the fishing poles here is a link to the e bay AU site I buy them from. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Superhard-Carbon-Fiber-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-Reel-Sea-Travel-Spinning-Pole/112497311811?epid=16009605095&hash=item1a315cc043:m:mqA01G-D4m4V7p1XhG2J9cw
It's getting close to bedtime here but I will open up a new topic for my new Slow 520 and then pop off to bed.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »

I have finished covering the wing and because the OS 15 LA made it a little nose heavy which would require tail weight I replaced it with a Thunder Tiger 10 GP which is about 10 g lighter. It balances on the rear of the trailing edge now but I will move it back another 6 mm or so before test gliding. Total weight is 425 g (14.9 oz) which is an ounce heavier than my last Dixielander where I went all out for lightness by reducing the wood sizes like with the John West Dixielander. The engine mount is made from two laminations of 2 mm carbon sheet epoxied together after drilling the holes.One glaring design fault I noticed after looking at the pictures was why didn't I angle cut the spars after the last rib ?
Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Slim Dixie SLOP
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »