Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 10:11:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slow 520 Mk 2  (Read 954 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »

Hi all,
 my original K&B 20 Sportster powered Slow 520 is still flying but getting a little long in the tooth so I decided to build a new one using carbon fiber tubing for the fuselage and the main wing spars. The engine is a OS 20FP ABC turning a 9x4 and I use around 20-30% nitro fuel on suction.

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Slow 520 Mk 2
Slow 520 Mk 2
Slow 520 Mk 2
Slow 520 Mk 2
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:34 AM »

Nice work, Phil!

John

Gliders are a part of me.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »

Looks neat Phil. Don't forget the DT Smiley

John
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 10:51:21 PM »

Thanks guys, I find the tubes keep things nice and straight and with good spruce getting hard to get and not being a fan of carbon fiber D boxes I thought I would give those cheap Chinese CF fishing poles a go.
 I must have knocked the d/t release arm down a groove when I flew the 520 Mk 1 in Open Power earlier this year and it didn't go off until about 4.30 which had me a little worried. Fortunately being in the air so long it managed to make it past the cockies plantation of model eating Tagasaste bushes into a recently sowed wheat paddock where it buried its nose deep in the sand instead.
The wings are built flat apart from 3 mm wash in on the right inner panel which cuts down the building time. The model is really a bitsa, the fuselage is built using the Clarkson Slow formula but the wing and tail plane are from the Clarkson Trainer which I already had a plan and rib templates for. The pattern is very steep with one turn in 10 seconds with a prefect pull out. It steers well on the tail plane and I have found the closer I get to the perfect trim the more sensitive it has become to changes of incidence because I have had to re-trim the model very slightly the last three times I have flown it. I have put this down to minor warping of the balsa fuselage so I hope to get more consistency with the carbon fuselage.

Phil
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:37:15 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »

Are you flying right/right? I'm mainly a RC glider flyer but FF trimming intrigues me.

Good luck with it.

John
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

Looking good Groper. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: