Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 25, 2021, 10:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FF scale at UK r/c nats 2017  (Read 2092 times)
RalphS
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:16:40 AM »

I didn't go and haven't seen anything from other contributors on this site.  I found this on Youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALsir0ySf1c

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »

Enjoyed that, thanks Ralph.

Here's a question:  why are most of the power models (exception SE5A, perhaps the Gipsy Moth?) trimmed to be quite so stally in flight?
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:23:33 AM »

I had a great weekend at the Nats but didn't take any photos  Sad .... the conditions made for some superb flying.
Thanks for the link Ralph  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:50 AM »

Well, that FF scale video was really rather good.  And what a backdrop? Bears out my contention that you cannot beat a FF scale model flying well to make the lower lip tremble!  And Jack Imsuspect the stally flights were not intentional Cheesy but an example of the perversity of some FF models!

Oh dear had a brief look at the chuck and duck footage. If I were the Chairman of the BMFA I think I might be wondering if I might be causing detriment to the future of model flying by condoning that kind of thing.  But then maybe I am out of step with reality? That surely is not the kind f thing we want to suggest is what goes on because taken in isolation it is very damaging. Particularly with the issues experienced recently on the restrictions on the use of airfield and wanting to create the impression we are safety conscious in connection with drones?

But sorry I digress lovely to see scale FF is still alive and well. 
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »

I'd love to have been there but can I put in a bid for the best excuse for absence: I was looking after my ailing mum so that my dad didn't have to miss competing and static judging in RC scale (I don't think he's missed a Nats in 40 years or so). Can anyone beat that? If it comes to a 'best excuse fly-off' I'll add in rushing back home to be with my son in hospital too.  

Seriously though, great footage. Thanks for the link, Ralph. Really glad that there was a reasonable turnout for FF scale to take advantage of the glorious conditions. For those interested, I understand the result of the (flying only) FF comp was...

1. I Taylor (EDF Crusader)
2. G. Tilston (Diesel Hawk Moth)
3. A. Sephton (Rubber Lacey)

So, a nice eclectic podium.
My dad said the words, "Best ever Nats" were heard quite a lot over the weekend.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

A very acceptable "excuse" Pete but obviously the circumstances are unfortunate for the "patients" so I hope they are both as well as can be expected. 

My excuse (other things had to do) nowhere near as valid but yes it looks a superb weekend so lesson learned.  I hope financially it worked out too. 

Can anyone say what the entries for FF scale were like as the weather was no deterrent.

Due to being presently hospitalised I will miss Peterborough as well.
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »

Sums up the magic of free flight scale
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »

David I looked at the chuck and duck video and had similar thoughts and then wondered why they do not organise a scramble or aggrigate event that would improve trimming skills as well as putting some structure in the flying. In defference to age insist on walking , no running.
Ricky
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »

David JP

FF entries were 16 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday.
Results for RC are up on the Scale Bmfa website http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/Results/results%20new.htm .
FF and CL results will be up soon.

Regards John M
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »

Thank you John, very thoughtful of you.  Had not got around to really looking actually  which ordinarily I should have done.  

Ricky, one of the reasons I have been told by folk a little more close to the hub is that probably most who participate are not contest minded in any respect and who I have also heard say that it is  the one they come for.  And probably seeing how some are almost  helpless with laughter at near misses etc. one can believe it.  It is the obsession with encouraging model flying that seems to be the reason behind it all but in my mind it could contribute to its demise - a local authority considering whether or not to permit model flying in open spaces would most likely find such videos very useful and take the easy route and say "NO".

It also appears that such people in the main do not have interest in scale.  Well fine I think and one is better to distance oneself from the whole thing.  
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »

David you confirmed my suspicions about the participantsor at some of them. The lack of awareness of the basics is I guess the thing that grates and I see nothing clever in the flying of a model that way in a crowd. It reminds me of an incident at one of our Nationals when as a Contest Director I orders a conrtestant to cease flying and disqualified him, when he was launching a catapult F16 in a crowd with a lot of children present. He then protested   that was thrown out. This has probably coloured my perception of this sort of uncontrolled activity.
Ricky
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »

My views on the ´chuck and duck´ have softened somewhat. Yes it´s awful to watch but it has always gone on  (I remember the flying real biscuit from 1968?). However it has two things in its favour:
1. apart from one ghastly year when they flew right next to FF scale, it keeps this guffawing crowd away from us. If it were to be stopped (how?) they would doubtless descend on us like flies, trampling all over the place. They did last time.
2. at least they are getting off their a***s and flying, the very thing we bewail the lack of.

I enjoyed the scale video - Ivan´s Crusader looked super. And the diesel model lives!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

I don't think the BMFA has any problem with the chuck and duck either. They even put the video on their facebook page...
https://m.facebook.com/BMFAOfficial/?locale2=en_GB
It's always sold and presented as 'mayhem' or 'lunacy' etc. rather than a serious part of the hobby so no one there should really be in much doubt.
(Is this one of those yearly circular discussions, like the Kit Scale rules debate?  Grin

To get back on topic for a minute, can someone clarify how 'wheels up' models are treated in flying only scale contests? Or does it depend on the event?
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

Pete
I doubt they make much difference. There is no take off. I have run most of the FO comps and knock a mark or two off for a wheels-up descent.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »

Pete
I doubt they make much difference. There is no take off. I have run most of the FO comps and knock a mark or two off for a wheels-up descent.

Do you knock off a couple of points for planes that have their wheels down during the flight if they should have had them up on the real thing?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »

Pete
Thanks- If I ever do an outdoor WW2 model it will likely be for KS but also FO contests, so it's good to know the lack of wheels won't matter much. (But when I'm flying wheeled models against the likes of Ivan, feel free to knock plenty of marks off him still, obviously!)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »

Pete

Do you knock off a couple of points for planes that have their wheels down during the flight if they should have had them up on the real thing?
Yes
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

Pete

Yes

Major props for consistency in scoring then!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: