Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 03:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III  (Read 7452 times)
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »

Thanks guys - it's turning out to be (famous last words) one of my better efforts, and I'm quite pleased with it.

This weekend was spent being thankful that we decided not to go to the outdoor Nationals (for people not in the UK, it was very wet and windy, campers were being advised to return to their tents to stop them being blown away), and then watching the fiasco unfold at Silverstone where they failed to run any MotoGP races at all because of standing water <sigh>. But some Pfalz progress was made:

1. The basics of the engine are done; needs a few minor details, intakes, exhaust, etc. Doesn't look too bad though (photos #1 & #2).
2. Quite a lot of time was spent making an ink-jet decal sheet using scans from various scale drawings whose publishers threaten dire consequences if copied, and then manipulating the images with M$ Paint and (mainly) Paintshop Pro. The final image was printed onto some inkjet-compatible waterslide decal film and is shown in photo #3; it's not perfect, but I think it's substantially better than what I could have done by hand.

What has to be done next is:
1. Let the ink dry, at least overnight.
2. Spray it with a light mist coat of liquid decal film and then a heavier coat after a few minutes to protect the ink and add a bit of strength, then leave for a while (I guess overnight) before cutting the decals and transferring to the model.

The liquid decal film (shown in photo 3) is quite viscous and looks as though it's going to need thinning a bit (using IPA, probably) to get it to go through the airbrush, but I hear tell that Halfords Clear Lacquer in a spray can is at least as good and is less hassle, so I might try this - at worst, I'll have lost a single sheet of decal paper and 24-36 hours or so, so the experiment might be worth it. Any feedback would be welcome...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »

but I hear tell that Halfords Clear Lacquer in a spray can is at least as good and is less hassle

Coming along nicely.

I think that Halfords Clear Lacquer is acrylic, I have a can somewhere - it should be okay............  I have used Humbrol Clear Acrylic Varnish in a spray can and it works well but is easy to put too much on, so be careful.  I always dunk spray cans in hot water for a few minutes before spraying.  It reduces viscosity and increases the pressure so you can get a finer finish. Soon be air time.
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »

We've had to have some work done on the house over the past few months so no (model) building, unfortunately, but it's all done now so I'm back onto the home straight with the Pfalz.

The E2 parts (intakes) for the engine are appallingly fragile, the only way I could think of to keep them in one piece was to bond them to some Jap tissue and shape them in situ. This turned out to be more-or-less OK (photos 1 & 2). I haven't worked out what to do about the even more accident-prone exhaust yet but something that small and delicate cut from 1/16" balsa isn't going to last long - it'll probably come off as a result of transport trauma on the way to the flying field/gym. I'll see if any bright ideas present themselves over the next week or so.

The decals are supposed to be applied with Micro Set (pre application) and Micro Sol (post application - see photo 3), these do normally work but I think the Halfords acrylic spray (see earlier post) has possibly made them a bit thick and unresponsive to solvents, because some of the carrier film has silvered a bit; for future efforts, it might well be worth trying spraying the bare printed decals with the recommended liquid decal film rather than acrylic spray. Also, an extra coat or two of dope on the tissued areas to get a better base for the decals might be a good idea. Anyway, the decals are all on (photos 4-6), they're not perfect but I think they're probably good enough for government work.

There are some more details to add on the fuselage and then assembly can begin.

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »

Looking fab (even intimidating) Andy!

But why does the rudder have a control-horn?
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »

V interesting learning the vagaries of Decal currently.
Discovered that: Red bottle Micro Sol is Good stuff.
 Blue bottle Set is waste of $ . Use white vinegar .. if you must.

It's also possible to substitute  gift wrap Tissue for expensive decal sheets.  
Results in a better fit /less obvious when fitted /  finished result than 'decals' manage.
 Ink jet ink does require a sealing spritz of Clear laquer tho as the main caveat.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »

That's really very nice indeed.
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2018, 04:38:19 AM »

Looking fab (even intimidating) Andy!

Thanks! We're approaching the moment when Captain Neville will have to start looking nervously over his shoulder...  Smiley

But why does the rudder have a control-horn?

Well, it's on the original plan, so I have to put it on or there will be penalty points.

<snip>
It's also possible to substitute  gift wrap Tissue for expensive decal sheets.  
Results in a better fit /less obvious when fitted /  finished result than 'decals' manage.
 Ink jet ink does require a sealing spritz of Clear laquer tho as the main caveat.

Ah, yes, thanks for the inkjet-on-tissue tip, Fred. I'll try that next time. In my experience, Micro Set and Micro Sol do work provided that the decal is reasonably thin and that the surface it's going on to is gloss (e.g. on plastic models), which obviously isn't the case here.

That's really very nice indeed.

Thanks Lurk...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 04:20:43 AM »

Voices from the back of the car... "Are we there yet?"  Grin
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »

Patience, grasshopper...
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »

...and in any case, the correct phrase is "Are we nearly there yet", as you well know.

The answer is that we are nearly there, but not for this Saturday because I want to try it outside first - I have a sneaking suspicion that it might want to fly right rather than left.

The wings went on in using the usual technique of temporary balsa jigs (photo #1), I found that it did need an additional temporary jig to fit in the stabiliser slot in order to stop the fuselage rolling around and to measure the wings to make sure they were on straight. The bottom wings went on after a fair amount of fiddling around with the height of the interplane struts (photo #2).

The undercarriage really required three hands and a bit of fettling to position correctly, eventually it had to be taped in place (photo #3) and hit with a bit of thin cyano to fix. It was pretty obvious that the undercarriage would be vulnerable to side loads and I was going to use some 23 swg piano wire - the smallest I have - to reinforce it, but found some 0.28mm carbon rod which is lighter and looks better (photo #4). This last photo also show some of the rigging hooks, they were originally sourced from SAMs and my unpaid fishing consultant mentioned that they might be a number 6; they needed clipping to length and luckily I only managed to ping one off into the dark corners of the workshop, because I only had one spare.

Photos #5 and #6 show the - to my mind, rather attractive - structure of the Pfalz with the tail surfaces in place. Total weight of all that is 17.5 grams, and the propeller, wheels, etc will add another 5 grams so by the time we have a pilot figure, we're looking at about 23 grams. This is a bit heavier than hoped, but should still be enough to gain a decisive altitude advantage on Captain Neville's Camel...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »

Looks very good, Andy.

23g plus rubber is excellent.  A height advantage is all very good, but the real question is this - how you configure your rubber motor to gain such a height AFTER a reasonable take-off run, a realistic climb-out without excessive bank, and a decently wide and flat circuit; THEN how do ensure, during the run-down of the motor, that the descent doesn't straighten the flight path PAFF! into a wall?  Auf wiedersehen Hans.... Cheesy
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »

Looks very good, Andy.

<snip> A height advantage is all very good, but the real question is this - how you configure your rubber motor to gain such a height AFTER a reasonable take-off run, a realistic climb-out without excessive bank, and a decently wide and flat circuit; <snip>

I'll just use a very long rubber motor. And also, since you ask, I was considering CA-ing a few unobtrusive ballast weights to Neville's Camel when you had been unavoidably detained elsewhere...  Smiley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »

Ha! Nev is in fact now retired and flying a desk - it's his (mum's side) cousin Perry you'll be up against!   Wink
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »

Hi abl !  I really like the looks  Cool  and color scheme.  I built the same 16"  Pfalz D.III,   but mine came out with a total weight of 45 grams   Huh  because I overloaded it with rigging  - nowhere near your ~ 23 grams.    Oh!  - and thanks for all of your little tips - I will use them.    Nice bathtub engine. too.   Smiley  Looking forward to the build and flights.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Looks very good, Andy.
+1
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
...but the real question is this - how you configure your rubber motor to gain such a height...
Ahh, well. Simple really. It was made to work for Sopwith Camels, see HM Airship No. 23, so it could be made to work for a Pfalz DIIIs.   All abl has to do is build a model airship zeppelin and then ...  Smiley

See here also.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »

Neat ABL. Looking forward to seeing this fly.

John
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »

OK, so the Pfalz isn't finished - but it's now flyable without most of the fragile bits that are liable to be knocked off1, and there's a temporary prop-shaft arrangement until the right and down thrust is sorted out. So I'm going to do some test flights outside if and when the weather becomes suitable, possibly "Somewhere in Oxfordshire".

Weight as-is, without rubber, is 22.4 grams and it's going to need some nose weight so I'm afraid the final weight might be around an ounce (28.3 grams). Oh, well...

Footnotes
1Not quite sure what event this matches on the Lurker Industries All-Purpose Progress Graph...
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »

Delightful looking model Abl.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »

That looks great, Andy ... the essence of stick and tissue distilled down  Smiley
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2018, 10:52:18 AM »

Hi Abl.   That is a novel, captivating color scheme.    Shocked    Is that just bare unstained balsa throughout your  16"  Pfalz D3 ?     Looks like an original idea.   Quite engaging.    Cool

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »

Looking good!  Where's Wolfgang though...?
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

On the asymptote old chap, on the asymptote.  Smiley

The Pfalz is a gem. 

abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »

Thanks for the kind and generous words, gentlemen.

Hi Abl.   That is a novel, captivating color scheme.    Shocked    Is that just bare unstained balsa throughout your  16"  Pfalz D3 ?     Looks like an original idea.   Quite engaging.    Cool

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Hi Richard, all the bare balsa has been covered with Peck Grey tissue (which is perhaps a little too dark to adequately represent the silver-grey of a standard Pfalz D.III, but it's what I had to hand) and non-shrinking dope; the tissue hasn't got much depth of colour but there's enough to just tint the wood. And although it took a while to decide on the scheme, it's grown on me and I think that (or some close variant) is now my standard Pfalz scheme.

Looking good!  Where's Wolfgang though...?

Wolfgang?... Oh, you mean Erich! Erich Von Stalhein (with apologies to Captain W E Johns). See attached pictures.

Neat ABL. Looking forward to seeing this fly.
John

I'll do my level best to get some video at the next Newbury indoor outing (as it were) with a half-way-decent Camera that is supposed to be able to auto-focus properly

On the asymptote old chap, on the asymptote.  Smiley
<snip>

Yes, but since it's not finished it's clearly not got quite as far as toh b*gger it that'll do . I'm thinking that we need a slightly earlier event marked something like tmight as well see if it flies, or similar...?

A.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »

I'll do my level best to get some video at the next Newbury indoor outing (as it were) with a half-way-decent camera that is supposed to be able to auto-focus properly.

I'll bring my iPad camera - big screen is easier to use than fiddly little things.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: