Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 03:04:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III  (Read 7451 times)
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »

Thanks. I have a Canon 70D which might be a bit better...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

That poor Ol' Erich Von Stalhein  looks a bit of a square head or rather cube head:)

John
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

Smiley

Von Stalhein isn't technically required until we get to toh b*gger it that'll do on the Lurker Industries All Purpose Progress Graph (see attached)...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »

I thought that was the anticipated flight path!  Grin Grin
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »

You've seen my hand-launch technique, then...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2018, 04:50:44 PM »

You've seen my hand-launch technique, then...

Grin Grin Grin
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »

Went for a trimming session with the Pfalz on Tuesday - it was damp and cold, but (unusually) flat calm. It seems that the rudder is incredibly sensitive, and a 3/4" long strip of 1/16" square under the port upper wingtip is enough to change the turn direction from left to right.

However, after numerous attempts at circling left and right, with increasingly delicate trim adjustments, I'm afraid that the Pfalz can't quite complete a full circle in either direction without the bank angle slowly increasing towards ninety degrees. In other words, the Pfalz apparently possess insufficient spiral stability for un-guided flight. :-(

The thing is that I've reduced the original - rather generous - dihedral to a slightly more scale-like value, and in the process of reducing the dihedral it looks very much as though I've disturbed a delicate balance between that and fin/rudder area, so the fin/rudder is now too big, which has screwed up the spiral stability.

Oh dear (not precisely my original words, obviously).

The (eventual) remedial action will be:
  • Make a new (one piece) fin and rudder somewhere in size between the current area and the scale area, probably scaled using a comparison of the kit dihedral and the actual dihedral that I've used.
  • If that doesn't cure it, I'll cut the lower wing free and add a bit more dihedral (as much as I'm comfortable with).

abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

Having got over my disgust with the Pfalz for failing to be stable (even though it was all my own fault for meddling with the dihedral), I've built and installed a new fin to the scale size using the Albatros Publication on the D.III, without a moveable rudder this time; see attached.

Planning to try it indoors on Saturday.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »

Looks good Andy.

Better bring me Vickers on Saturday!  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »

Although not its first round of trimming flights, first footage today of this fine Hunnish beast:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q8wqwNV1ST5KtKxL7
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »

To get it to do that required some more nose weight and a very short 1/16" square gurney flap under the port wing; that circle looks fairly reasonable - perhaps a bit stally, though, so maybe a touch more weight in the nose. I'll try it indoors at the next available opportunity.

However, it now weighs nearly 33 grams...  Sad
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2019, 03:36:32 PM »

Andy it probably does need more noseweight as you suggest  but you might get away with a little more downthrust - just noting that the stall stopped when the power ran down.  A bit more downthrust combined with your reasonably compact left circle might keep the nose down OK
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »

Andy it probably does need more noseweight as you suggest  but you might get away with a little more downthrust - just noting that the stall stopped when the power ran down.  A bit more downthrust combined with your reasonably compact left circle might keep the nose down OK

Looking at it again, I think you might be right - the stall definitely damps out as the power rolls off; I'll add a little more downthrust before trying it indoors.

Well spotted, that man!  Smiley

abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2019, 08:09:43 AM »

I must confess to metaphorically chucking this into the corner for a few months in disgust because the changes that I've made to the dihedral seem to have mucked everything else up - this happens, usually occasionally.

However, there's an indoor kit scale competition in mid-November which I wanted to enter and it seems a shame to leave the Pfalz on the bench. So, what I'm going to do attempt to do is:
  • Take the wings off (so, the undercarriage has to come off).
  • Put the dihedral back to what the plan says it should be.
  • Make new struts as necessary and put the wings and undercarriage back on.
  • Build a new fin to the original size to replace the existing (scale) fin.
  • Hope it works indoors - it should do, I think.
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »

I've just had another look at your first flight and the weather in February was better than it is now!!!!
Ron
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

I must confess to metaphorically chucking this into the corner for a few months in disgust because the changes that I've made to the dihedral seem to have mucked everything else up - this happens, usually occasionally.

However, there's an indoor kit scale competition in mid-November which I wanted to enter and it seems a shame to leave the Pfalz on the bench. So, what I'm going to do attempt to do is:
  • Take the wings off (so, the undercarriage has to come off).
  • Put the dihedral back to what the plan says it should be.
  • Make new struts as necessary and put the wings and undercarriage back on.
  • Build a new fin to the original size to replace the existing (scale) fin.
  • Hope it works indoors - it should do, I think.

Won't take a trice to do all that!  Grin
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2019, 04:32:21 PM »

I've just had another look at your first flight and the weather in February was better than it is now!!!!
Ron

It's rubbish, isn't it? I thought El Nino might be to blame at first, but I'm not so sure.

Won't take a trice to do all that!  Grin

Well, I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle because my CA debonder has dried up! Should be able to get some more in a few days.

abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »

Well, I've used over half a bottle of CA Debonder and it's been a long job, but the main parts are finally separated (see pictures). I've got away with most of the fiddly decorated bits intact, a bit of repair work is required to the top of one interplane strut but that's about it, and the centre-section struts are still in place and aligned which is a real bonus as it'll make reassembly a lot easier.

There is a fair amount of tissue damage to the wings (bit heavy-handed with the CA the first time round) and given the option of stripping and re-covering or re-building with the dihedral specified in the kit I think I'll probably re-build the flying surfaces - they might turn out a bit better the second time. And it might be easier to get the dihedral correct with new (i.e. pristine) wing structures.
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »

I haven't been entirely idle over the past month, just mostly idle; it's taken about a month to build two wings (with the correct dihedral this time), a pair of wing struts and a new fin (to the original size, without a moving rudder) - so it should now fly as advertised, and that's about 15 Kit Scale penalty points that are no longer going to be applied during static judging  Smiley.

Tissue covering starts tomorrow, assuming that I can find my carefully stored stash of grey Peck tissue.

(It's taken a long time simply because I have a long list of other leisure activities that have to take precedence when we have what passes for a summer...)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »

To be fair it was a very good summer overall.  Smiley
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

Have finally got all the replacement components more-or-less finished, and they probably look slightly better than the originals. Something to bear in mind if you build one of these is that I did find that the interplane struts needed about 4mm taking off the tops to sit nicely in the wing slots. Assembly tomorrow (in the daylight!) and trimming at Baron Von Markovitz' patch somewhere in Oxfordshire on Wednesday morning, if the calm weather holds.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »

Sehr gut, mein lieber Herr Blackburn. Ich bringe die Halberstadt für ein paar gemeinsame Manöver!
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »

Quote " if the calm weather holds." What country are you living in Andy? Definitely not in Cornwall.
On friday night a gust of 113mph was recorded a few miles away, for most of yesterday it was still blowing over 25mph and the local weather station is still saying 18mph!!!!!!!
Ron
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »

I think that was the last gasp of ex-Hurricane Pablo - we also had serious winds in central and SE England.

Things have calmed down, and there does indeed appear to be a rare window of suitable weather forecast for Wednesday morning....
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »

Quote from: abl
...trimming at Baron Von Markovitz' patch somewhere in Oxfordshire on Wednesday morning, if the calm weather holds.
Looks jolly good old boy.  Flight reports are expected.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: