Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 11:54:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III  (Read 7457 times)
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2019, 05:35:27 AM »

So, it's ready to go but I'm now stuck at home...  Sad

Attached pictures show the rebuild process, mainly with PVA to allow a bit of realignment time and also disassembly should be a bit easier, should it come to that. I did detect a slight misalignment between the port and starboard interplane struts (now fixed) and I think there was probably a little bit too much incidence on both wings (also fixed). Interplane struts needed maybe another 0.5mm trimming from the top to sit nicely.

Dihedral is now as per the plan and it looks as though it should be absolutely fine (that'll teach me to meddle). Warps/trim are guessed at:

• 1/16" washout on both sides of the top wing.
  • 1/16" washin on port lower, 1/16" washout on starboard lower, fair amount of left rudder to balance into a left turn.
  • Downthrust is about 3-4 degrees, right thrust is about 2 degrees.

Weight is about 29.3 grams, and there's about 4 grams of rubber (4 strands of 85 thou, 3x hook-to-peg - performance on 4 strands of 75 thou was a bit underwhelming). It might still need another gram or two of nose weight.

Quote " if the calm weather holds." What country are you living in Andy? Definitely not in Cornwall.
On friday night a gust of 113mph was recorded a few miles away, for most of yesterday it was still blowing over 25mph and the local weather station is still saying 18mph!!!!!!!
Ron

Well, for once the forecast was correct and it's almost flat calm in Berkshire...

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPC Models Kit Scale Pfalz D.III
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »

Looks nice Andy, fingers crossed it flies well.
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »

Thankfully, there has been a degree of success:

https://vimeo.com/373899158

In addition to the adjustments detailed above, it now has:

• A bit more left rudder bent-in, plus a trim tab.
  • About 2.5 degrees of sidethrust.
  • About 8 or 9 degrees of downthrust.
  • As expected, a bit more noseweight.

Total weight is now 34.9 grams, so the empty (balanced) airframe is 30.9 grams.

The only blot on its copybook was an inability to ROG on 4 strands of 0.085"; 4 strands of 0.083" (3/32") might do it, failing that I'll try 4 x 0.109".

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

The only blot on its copybook was an inability to ROG on 4 strands of 0.085"; 4 strands of 0.083" (3/32") might do it, failing that I'll try 4 x 0.109".

I thought that was going really well!  Smiley

My only observation is that 3/32" is in fact 0.094"...
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2019, 10:27:57 AM »

That looks great Andy  Smiley
I can imagine it flying slower with slightly less bank/wider circle.
There seems to be a worrying amount of talent gathering at Newbury!  Roll Eyes
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »

I thought that was going really well!  Smiley

My only observation is that 3/32" is in fact 0.094"...

Sorry, slip of the keyboard - I meant to write 0.093", which is what 3/32" is sold as for those of use without our own rubber stripper...  Smiley
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »

abl,
  Well done sir!

Skyraider  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »

There seems to be a worrying amount of talent gathering at Newbury!  Roll Eyes

Its Wessex country of course... but the Danelaw has its fair share too!   Cool

You're right though Russ: once he's got rubber with a tad more grunt in there and flying in a wider circle at Walsall, all us underlings will be quaking...!
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »

Quote from: FreeFlightModeller
+1
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »

That's looking great in the air Andy, nice work
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »

As they just said- that’s looking great in the air! Both your Pfalz and the Von Markovitz Halberstadt are going to be a headache for us plucky RNAS chappies at the next Kit Scale dogfight over the Western (Midlands) Front!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »

Hi Andy. Great looking Pfalz. Whatever became of Von Vutzhzname? did he ever crawl out of that block of balsa?

The Threadkiller!
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »

Thanks, and I might try a Gurney tab to lift the inner wing a little - although the circle is going to have to stay at that diameter until it gets re-trimmed for the Nats next year.

abl,
  Well done sir!

Skyraider  Grin

Thanks Dave...  Smiley I was going to email you separately on a related matter, actually...

Hi Andy. Great looking Pfalz. Whatever became of Von Vutzhzname? did he ever crawl out of that block of balsa?

Ah, now, yes - he's still in the balsa, but I think you mean Von Stalhein, a long-running adversary of Biggles; I think the first Biggles book I read was "Biggles of 266", possibly in the late 1960s or early 70s, I don't know what the equivalent to Biggles would be for you chaps over on the other side of the Atlantic? I hadn't forgotten that the Pfalz was pilotless, it's just that I thought that it might be wise to see if a decent performance could be extracted from it before adding the pilot, rigging and various other tarting-up details.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »

Quote from: abl
... I think you mean Von Stalhein...
I have just been consulting 266 Squadron's Diaries and there is no record of any German pilot named von Stalhein.  There is a record of the pilot of a Green Streamered Albatross D5 committing what can only be described as a war crime and although von Stalhein was certainly ruthless this does not accord with his later reputation.  The only German pilot mentioned by name, other than the Baron von Richthofen, is one Leutnant von Balchow.

Perhaps of more interest is that Second Lieutenant Bigglesworth is recorded as having piloted a Pfalz "Scout".  No type designation or unit identification is given for the captured aircraft in the Squadron Diary entry but sources indicate that the D.IIIa was known as a "Scout" and as the captured Pfalz had not had its Luftstreitkräfte markings obscured or over-painted it is not unreasonable that a bust of Sec. Lt. Bigglesworth may be used in your model.

Copies of the relevant pages from the Diaries, courtesy of the Sqdn Ldr The Hon. Percival Reeve Bart.,  are attached.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »

My main memory of von Stalhein is a scene in what, as a child, was my favourite Biggles book: Biggles Flies East. In this one, our hero flies for the Germans as part of his duties as a WW1 spy. At one very tense point in the story, after Biggles has had a dogfight with another German pilot who has just rumbled his true identity, he has to explain to von Stalhein how on earth a German bullet ended up in Biggles' own German plane. I see from Wikipedia that 'Biggles Flies East' was in fact his first encounter with von S.

Sorry, as you were...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:38:55 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
abl
Gold Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2019, 02:51:53 AM »

My main memory of von Stalhein is a scene in what, as a child, was my favourite Biggles book: Biggles Flies East. In this one, our hero flies for the Germans as part of his duties as a WW1 spy. At one very tense point in the story, after Biggles has had a dogfight with another German pilot who has just rumbled his true identity, he has to explain to von Stalhein how on earth a German bullet ended up in Biggles' own German plane. I see from Wikipedia that 'Biggles Flies East' was in fact his first encounter with von S.

Sorry, as you were...

I'm pretty sure I haven't read that one - pocket money was sixpence a week (if we were lucky) so funds were short.

Quote from: abl
... I think you mean Von Stalhein...
Perhaps of more interest is that Second Lieutenant Bigglesworth is recorded as having piloted a Pfalz "Scout".  No type designation or unit identification is given for the captured aircraft in the Squadron Diary entry but sources indicate that the D.IIIa was known as a "Scout" and as the captured Pfalz had not had its Luftstreitkräfte markings obscured or over-painted it is not unreasonable that a bust of Sec. Lt. Bigglesworth may be used in your model.

Copies of the relevant pages from the Diaries, courtesy of the Sqdn Ldr The Hon. Percival Reeve Bart.,  are attached.

I think you're probably rather over-estimating my abilities as a sculptor; I was just going to carve one round-ish blob on top of another round-ish blob and then claim in the documentation that it was a spitting image of Von Stalhein. My abilities in this area (as in so many others, if I'm honest) are severely limited - I mean, it's not as though I've ever been chucked out of Art School...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: