Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 23, 2019, 09:21:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Little [s]Brown[/s] Natural metal Jug.  (Read 10243 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

I'd go with Mr Blast Tube above 

HA HA HA Monz you just slam dunked my funk!    Yes Prosper! great looking in every aspect! Of course everyone's dead on with the "leave it alone" advice, but where's the fun in that? Haven't you even cartwheeled that thing yet?

The Threadkiller!
Monz
Silver Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »

I'd go with Mr Blast Tube above 

HA HA HA Monz you just slam dunked my funk!    Yes Prosper! great looking in every aspect! Of course everyone's dead on with the "leave it alone" advice, but where's the fun in that? Haven't you even cartwheeled that thing yet?

Grin

Stephen, you do know you also have an opportunity for some scale prop balancing with this one, I mean, if that new prop blade you put on is slightly heavier than the rest...

https://i.imgur.com/NRQTnin.jpg
Little [s]Brown[/s] Natural metal Jug.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »

Mr. Blast Tube???  Really Monz... Grin  Am I acquiring a reputation??? 

Possibly better..."Move yer peg forward and use a blast tube". Smiley Smiley Smiley 
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »

I bet matey-boy above had a blast!  Grin  I presume he put that hole in himself?
Monz
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:21 PM »

Mr. Blast Tube???  Really Monz... Grin  Am I acquiring a reputation??? 

Possibly better..."Move yer peg forward and use a blast tube". Smiley Smiley Smiley 

Well, I do move the peg forward  Roll Eyes

I bet matey-boy above had a blast!  Grin  I presume he put that hole in himself?

That was from an enemy cannon shell, he flew it back home like that. Vibrations must've been unreal. Testament to the Jug's strength.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »

Monz,  the first time you have to repair a dismembered model from a motor that popped on moderate hand winds, you'll become a convert. Grin

On the Jug's strength:  I did read about the cannon shell thru the prop.  Evidently it made a distinctive whistle.  Wildest Jug story I read was one guy got in a really bad dogfight, but after he scored a couple kills, AAA fire hit his engine and blew the top off about 3 or 4 cylinders on the front of the R2800.  He had lots of altitude so set off for Switzerland with thoughts of sitting out the rest of the war in comfort.  Then he remembered the day's score would put him ahead of a squadron rival, and the evidence was in his gun camera.  Well, he turned around and flew back across Germany, across France, across the Channel and landed at his base.  The pistons of the damaged cylinders were flailing in the air all the way!

The A10 Thunderbolt II evidently inherited the Jug's sturdy reputation.

All you folks have a great day at Old Warden--and take pictures for us in the "colonies".
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2019, 04:17:01 AM »

. . .where's the fun in that?
I tend to agree - this one hasn't cartwheeled yet, thankfully, but I get a lot of fun from trying every trick to get one over on Isaac Newton and his silly laws of gravity. Who let him pass those laws, anyway, without discussion or consultation? I often keep tweaking my models even when they've probably shown their best possible performance.

. . .I presume he put that hole in himself?
I had to check that one too - it looks so staged. I thought he was still wearing his overalls from the workshop. But it seems to be true. It reminded me of the yarn some ex-RAF engineers used to repeat occasionally, of the erk (mechanic) who stepped through the idling prop of a four-engined bomber to fetch something, realised what they'd just done, and fainted with shock. I think that's impossible, but ack-ack shells move much faster than erks, so I could just see how a shell might go through a blade so fast that the engine just took a jolt. There was a freak helo crash when the cap of an exploding oil drum on a film set hit the rotor, IIRC. So it's probably not safe to assume that it's OK for cannon shells to hit your prop.

I may get some flights this evening. That grass is growing longer by the minute. Out of bounds soon.

Stephen.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Little [s]Brown[/s] Natural metal Jug.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »

Grin I love the way you've painted blown-out metal and a lovely blue sky with puffy white clouds on your prop!
Monz
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »

So good Stephen! Love it  Grin Grin Grin
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »

Great pic Stephen!  How long did you have to wait to get the clouds to line up?   Grin
Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2019, 02:48:08 AM »

Quote from: Don McLellan
How long did you have to wait to get the clouds to line up?   Grin
I'm not quite sure what you mean Don? I just turned the prop until the blade with the great big hole in it faced the camera, and pressed the shutter. Took no time at all. Oh look, are those birds visible in the sky through the big hole in the blade?

Oh well. The flying that evening turned out a bit less whimsical than 'blade art'. The grass in the field is already over ankle-height on average and I was feeling a bit guilty about stepping on it, so I didn't walk as far into the field as I shoulda. The model had full turns for the first time (except a previous static run), 1440 turns which is a bit over 80% of the theoretical breaking turn for the motor. I thought the extra torque would make sure it kept to a left hand circle, but the motor juddered and shook the model right from launch, with the power output changing up and down, so the model wandered off course without having gained much height in total, drifted by the slight breeze, and by the time it had settled in a predictable left-hand orbit (I guess the clumps in the motor that must have caused the bad vibration were gone by then) it was low and near the field boundary. It did find a pretty spot to hit, and I first thought it was all intact, but the left wing leading edge was concertina'd. That'll take some work. Anyway, no more flying until the grass is mowed again.

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 121

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2019, 04:16:19 AM »

It did find a pretty spot to hit, and I first thought it was all intact, but the left wing leading edge was concertina'd
Maybe it was heading for the bird box hangar, but got distracted by the blossom. Talking of which, there was plenty of blatant clout casting going on at Old Warden yesterday. I caught the sun on my poor winter-white arms despite suncream applied. Does that mean summer's really here now?
And are you sure that the wing damage is not just more of your cunning trompe l'oeil? Well, maybe not but I'm sure she'll soon be ship-shape again. If you can't fly in that gloroious field for a while please do feel free to keep posting vids of it- even if they just show the grass growing!
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »

Aww gawd right where the 50s are, bummer.
Hope to see her in the air again Steph.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 178

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »

Very inconsiderate of that tree not to move Stephen Smiley

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2019, 11:17:16 PM »

Hi Stephen,

Further to my reply (#185), the real clouds almost line up with the clouds in the pic you've attached with your prop.  So, great camera work!

And, exceptionally bad luck damaging the wing leading edge on your Jug.  As a bystander, would appreciate some step by step advise on how you will make this repair.  And please understand, there is no rush to make the repair or post pics.  Only when you are ready.

Cheers,

Don 

Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2019, 03:16:03 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
are you sure that the wing damage is not just more of your cunning trompe l'oeil?
I wish! Both for what it would say about my artistic ability, and because there'd be no fixing to do. . .Yes, at last some sun and some warmth. . .

Don, reply 186, I was kidding, just in case that wasn't clear. I saw what kind of a weather day it was before doing the very hasty daubs on the blade. Getting the blue right is the problem - really 2 or 3 different blue pigments are needed and I have only one in acrylic ink. Yes I'll post on how I do the repair, though I've no idea at the moment, so it could be fun to watch. . .

Stephen.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »

And please understand, there is no rush to make the repair or post pics.  Only when you are ready.

Yeah no rush,...take your time.... just hurry up!

The Threadkiller!
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »

Been working too hard so I am very late to say this, but that latest flight video is poetry in motion. Stephen, you are an artist, a craftsman and an engineer. Very well done.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2019, 03:57:40 AM »

Thank you very kindly, WIP.

The flying field was mown again yesterday so I'm on the loose again - with nothing to fly Shocked. I was up early this a.m. and made a start on this repair.

Before touching anything I shone a strong light through the wing to see what was what. I couldn't remember how I'd built the wing. Normally with own-design S&T models, I make a sheet D-section at the front without a leading edge member of any kind, but this is a conventional wing with a leading edge member, only sheeted top and bottom. There's also a doubler behind where the gun shrouds are, because my original intent had been to set the shrouds into sockets.

Then I tugged the crushed stuff forward and saw that the underside is less damaged than the top. I cut out most of the damaged area and realised that I'd have to get the underwing pylon off too. I couldn't recall how I'd glued it in place but it came off with methylated spirits, and luckily this solvent didn't attack the particular acrylic I'd used for the yellow bits of the model.

That's where it is now. Accepting that there will be a certain weight gain, then the whole issue (as I'd guessed it would be) is to do with tissue anchoring. The broken and fractured timberwork will look after itself I expect, but what about the tissue? I really wanted to avoid overlapping tissue, but looking at what I've got here, overlapping tissue is certainly the quickest and perhaps the only sensible fix.

Stephen.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2019, 05:25:14 AM »

Quote from: Prosper
...looking at what I've got here, overlapping tissue is certainly the quickest and perhaps the only sensible fix.
Make a virtue out of a necessity?  Overlap the tissue and use a 000 or 0000 brush to dot dark grey "rivets" to make it look like a field repair?  I can't find any images on "teh internets" to justify this, but...
Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »

Thanks for the idea Lurker.

First today I stuck down the free tissue by brushing wallpaper-type paste under the edges. Then I bevelled the two separated sections of leading edge in order to scarf in a new section. Yesterday I saw that the L.E. is a strip with the top and bottom sheeting wrapped around it which makes life difficult. The pink arrows show the steps in the new L.E. section to accommodate the new L.E. sheeting. Nothing about this work is quite square, so the two pieces of 0.4mm sheet had to be tailored to fit; first the bottom then the top.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »

I fixed a balsa tab (arrowed) under the inner edge of the top piece, to aid location. The arrow in the last pic shows a loose end of tissue which has been dangling in space until the fitment of the top piece of repair sheeting gives it an anchor. Getting that fixed down without a dent or wrinkle will be a trick.

There are a couple of tiny gaps that need filling then I can cover. I'm not in a hurry to finish this because it's been raining nearly all day, and the forecast is cold. . .wet. . .windy. Or is it just that I'm scared of fouling it up? Wet and windy, sort of?

Stephen.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the pics showing the wing repair.  Very neat and tidy work.

Don
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 178

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »

I like the way you have duplicated the structure in your very neatly done repair Stephen. I have seen people over the years resort to just throwing in a lump of foam or balsa in similar repairs - admittedly to larger RC models. Retaining the structural approach will provide a better strength distribution and is also more likely to incur a minimum weight gain.

Carry on Magoo Smiley

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: