Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 13, 2020, 09:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Little [s]Brown[/s] Natural metal Jug.  (Read 12155 times)
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »

Quote from: Tim Horne
That's excellent Smiley Smiley
+1  Sitting here with a silly great grin on my chops.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »

Enjoyed that very much!  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2020, 04:43:09 PM »

That's great Stephen, as Lurker said - a video that induces a big grin Grin
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »

Fourth attempt at this post. My internet connection can be flaky at times.

Well done Stephen.

A good looking model that flies well. The sound track is very fitting.
Having done a lot of amateur movie work in the past, I know that getting a foreign sound track to mesh with an existing video sequence can take a lot of effort.
My wife has done a lot more that I have and much better quality too.

Paul
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »

Thanks for that Stephen. Well done and very enjoyable.

John
cast_off_vortex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:36 PM »

Very freakin cool!
charlieman
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2020, 12:44:29 AM »

Just ran across this effort. Found the wing geometry airfoils and washout most interesting. If I read the comments correctly this is supposed to be as per original Bf data.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3344259-Bf-109-F-G-K-1-4
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2020, 03:19:48 AM »

Lovely film, Stephen. Amazing the difference a realistic engine noise makes to the (already very convincing) flight realism. And ah yes, ‘Little Brown Jug’: in the Jimmie Stewart film version, Glenn Miller gives his wife a real little brown jug as a sentimental keepsake and we see her clutching it on hearing news of her loving husband’s tragic demise as the credits roll. A somewhat more sympathetic portrayal of Mr Miller than evidence actually suggests, but that’s Hollywood for you!

Anyway, a great little video of a great little model. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:46:02 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2020, 07:53:39 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
Amazing the difference a realistic engine noise makes. . .
I'm glad people enjoyed it - yes I was impressed at how what I'd set out to be a fun gimmick does in fact have some gravity when the engine sound comes in. I think that the engine sound matches the actual passage of the model closely enough to give a sense of reality. I would think such a close match to be unusual; surely it would be hard to find engine recordings - unpolluted with extraneous airshow noise etc - that would match up with the flightpath of any particular model. At least free flight models, that is.

charlieman, I looked at that link. I'm very taken with what the modeller has achieved. He does say his motive is accuracy and he's clearly showing success here. I have a drawing of the early 109 wing which appears to be a factory drawing, and shows 2° of incidence at the root just like the 3D printer fellow says, but it doesn't give tip incidence. However the drawing is the only evidence I have for the aerofoil (the internet seems to draw a blank) and I must say that the 3D feller's aerofoil matches it very closely indeed. I looked at lots of 109 pictures from my records this a.m. and found quite a few that really say 'no washout' to me and only one or two that look as if there's washout. I need more convincing! Plus 2° at the root and zero at the tip, as the fellow asserts, would mean that the tip is in line with the fuselage datum. In the attached photo - just one of many useful photos - the pitot probe sprouts right from the leading edge (not above or below, +/- a few mm); and also in plan, the pitot is aligned with the outer end of the aileron. I can't make a chord line traced between the pitot and aileron tip, appear in line with the fus. datum however hard I squint!

Stephen.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Little [s]Brown[/s] Natural metal Jug.
Jasco
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »

I avoid these pile-on replies to posts, especially when I'm so tardy to the party, but the comments are disabled on Youtube. Huh
What a stunningly realistic model. Not realistic "for a rubber powered model", realistic for any model. That last video was virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. The speed and attitude in the air was spot on. I never built external stores because I'm too lazy and impatient to fly my creation into the nearest soccer goal, but they really add to the illusion. The dubbed-in engine noise was perfect. It loked like a scene from a movie.
I've gushed enough. Bravo.

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Today at 07:05:23 AM »

Thanks very much for the generous comment Jasco. The "comments are disabled" thing on YT is because I made the video "intended for kids" - a selection which automatically dumps comments. It's not that I specifically want young goats to watch my video; it's because if you don't choose this option then the video can't be found by typing the url into a search bar. I found this out after sending the url to a friend who found "video unavailable". An unintended consequence of YouTube's new child protection policy I guess.

I feel equivocal about YT comments anyway - I hardly ever re-visit a video once uploaded, but kinda feel I ought to if I suspect people might leave comments or ask questions. Nearly all my vids relate to threads here on HPA, and will only be watched by HPA readers, so it's convenient for me to hope that people would post comments/questions in the thread.

I've flown the 'bolt since that last video but can't get it to fly much over half a minute with stores. They must add lots of drag. I've pondered giving the old bus a complete overhaul - repairs; new covering, bigger motor. . . . .the thing is I'm rather worried about my dwindling supply of white Esaki. I tried some 'J Perkins' white tissue recently (weighs 1.5x Esaki) and it has no wet strength - turns to pulp when wetted. I re-read higgphanx1's  excellent thread comparing strength-to-weight of different tissues but this doesn't factor wet strength. I've searched tissues like Gampi, Tengujo, Kozo etc. online, but these exotic tissues seem either out of stock or screechingly expensive.

Regards,
Stephen.
Jasco
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Today at 10:15:59 AM »

I have a 9 second video of me spinning a balsa prop on a piece of music wire that has 300 views.  I think that's hilarious.

I was in an active modeler mode about 25 years ago (when the children were small) and developed preferences for building and covering, too. I learned about Japanese tissue, nitrate dope, and Ambroid.
Using these supplies, I finally built models that would do more than fly into the nearest dirt clod at high velocity. Other modeling interests inevitably replaced rubber power, but now that I have picked it up again I am amazed at the products and techniques for building these things. Mylar, glue sticks, Krylon spray, floral spray paint...the list is endless. I have been using whatever tissue I had from 25 years ago and just bought some domestic and japanese tissue from Easy Built...I look forward to seeing how they work for me.

The idea of re-covering a model has never occurred to me.  Maybe because none of my planes' airframes outlast the covering? I now have two I think I can recover.  A peanut P-40 that broke it's wing on it's maiden powered flight in 1985, and an AVRO 504 Race Baby from the same era that I must have built like a picnic table because it survives in one piece.

At any rate, half the fun of this hobby is fussing over the details. The other half is not spending money.  Smiley

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: