Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 28, 2020, 05:08:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Desperately seeking ply magnetic 'hold downs' for 1/16" fuse longerons  (Read 275 times)
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2019, 09:53:30 PM »

I saw one of our builders had some thin ply flat 'gloves' that had 'fingers' magnetically holding them down to a mag. building plate. The 'middle fingers' of these gloves were longer, holding the 1/16" longeron sticks in place. Outer 'fingers' had the magnets...Thought they were from Easy Built or Volare, or Bob Holman...but can't find them anywhere. Help! (please?)

Don't want to use pins, ready to assemble my delicate, prized mini-Pacific Ace from Volare. It deserves magnets!
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:40:55 AM »

Hi,
I could make them for you but be warned it is not as straightforward to use magnets as you might think. This is especially true of small models. the reason is that the magnet needs surface are to generate enough force to hold your part down. This means that hold down ends up taking up a lot of space on the building board. In my experience this is tricky with small models because you cant fit the hold downs into the fuselage interior.

Anyway take a look on my site (hummingbirdmodlproducts.com) for some examples (in the tools section).

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »

You are no doubt talking about "Bill's Fingers".... https://02be11e.netsolstores.com/buildingjigsystem.aspx   check it out. Bernard, I haven't been on your site since the move to England, that is one sweet "A" balsa stripper!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:25:29 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »

That's right, Crabby!  "Bill's Fingers!"  (first time I've thanked a gent for giving me the fingers!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: