Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 04:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Douglas World Cruiser  (Read 9339 times)
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »

One of the things left to do is the World Cruiser logo. This is causing me a bit of a headache so I want to ask you all for your opinion. I would have thought that finding a nice pic or two of the logo on the side of the aircraft would be quite straightforward. But despite a lot of searching I can't find many at all. If I was an artist with lots of spare time I would probably just paint one as I would imagine they were all originally hand painted and probably varied a bit on each aircraft. But I don't have the time or skill so a computer printed decal will have to do. But I still have very little material to work with. The best quality photo I can find is this one which may well be from the DWC in the Smithsonian. The problem as you can see is that it is clearly nearly 100 years old and not as it was first painted.

The other option I hoped for was a nice side on picture of the replica DWC which I could crop a logo out of. But every picture I can find is either not square, too low res, washed out, half in shade or some other problem which renders them unusable. I hoped to email the replica builders and ask if they could take a photo for me but they don't have contact details on their site.

So the question is; should I use the the old and tatty looking logo or is it worth persevering in trying to contact the replica DWC guys and get a copy of the shiny new logo? I'm leaning towards using the old one as at least I know it is original (I'm not building a model of the replica).

Thanks for your help and wisdom!
Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Douglas World Cruiser
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »

Try https://hangar47.com/douglas-world-cruiser-preview/ - this review of the Williams Brothers plastic model has some images of the decal sheet that might help.

Mike
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »

Or touch something up with Photoshop or Gimp.

If you have a really nice picture that only suffers from not being taken square on, post it -- it's a pretty easy thing to square something like that up.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Logo_on_the_Douglas_World_Cruiser_-_Chicago_-_Smithsonian_Air_and_Space_Museum_-_2012-05-15_(7271389998).jpg

Mark
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »

Hi Time Horne.    Are you trying for an exact replica of the original Insignia for contest documentation purposes?    Since you are not painting it by hand, here is what I might try to do.   If you have paintshop you can make your own Insignia just like the original, but I would make some changes.   You can put in a new globe.   The lettering would be the same, and the clouds (?) around it, would be the same too.  But I would change that anatomically incorrect eagle, with a similar shaped image of a real eagle - just snip it out and paste it.    Here are a few shots of a soaring eagle in a similar soaring position.  There are lots of pics to choose from by typing in "flying eagle" or "soaring eagle".   Good luck with it, any way you do it.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2019, 01:58:16 AM »

Tim, your DWC is looking very good indeed!

Re the logo, I'd be inclined to use it exactly as is.  The aged appearance can be relatively easily dealt with by increasing the exposure using the controls on your free basic software, then increasing the contrast very slightly.  Experiment and print variations onto decal sheet to see which would work best.

If you really want to go the distance, then someone here might have the skills to square it up and even do an actual but very light touch up, but I doubt it would make any significant difference to the finished model.  As you say the originals were all hand-painted with inevitable variations (and lack of absolute ornithological accuracy).

Jon
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2019, 02:09:18 AM »

Tim I would certainly use the old one, squared up or not I doubt you'd notice it at small size. Printed as a decal it would need backing with a solid white one.
It's looking very nice indeed. I like the way they carefully blended the radiator into the streamlined fuselage.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:23:38 AM by billdennis747 » Logged
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2019, 03:08:33 AM »

I agree with Bill and the others, go for the old...

Model looks better and better !

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2019, 03:51:59 AM »

It looks great, Tim. I love that whole cowl area with the litho etc. Very convincing.

I'm adding another vote for using the photo of the original logo as it is. Your overall paint job and other markings have a nice subtle hue, and I think the logo will fit right in with its air of realism. As Jon suggested though, if you do want to brighten it slightly you can do so easily just by using your PC's ordinary photo editing tools. I tried it just now and attach a result.

ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2019, 03:55:51 AM »

Yeah.  Plus the old one's got New Zealand on it and the new one doesn't.   That's important.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2019, 04:03:20 AM »

I like the old one ... some of the subtlety of shading would be lost with any kind of shading.
I would just mask out the required part and print on white decal paper.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2019, 04:11:36 AM »

Stunning job! I think Pete's "brightened" version is ideal, after all you are building the aircraft as it was in the day.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2019, 04:19:00 AM »

It is possible that the original image printed on white decal paper will be brighter anyway, but Pete's brightening looks a good target to aim for.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2019, 04:22:06 AM »

Like Pete, I had a go at adjusting the original logo without getting a better result than Pete. I mucked around with saturation and the balance between the lighter, middle and darker tones. Unfortunately the paint/pigment comprising the blue 'sky' background on the original is rather muddy. Could not see a way of adjusting that short of replacing the muddy colour with a fresh blue but which blue?

Paul
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:35 AM »

Yeah.  Plus the old one's got New Zealand on it and the new one doesn't.   That's important.

Oh, that's where it is!!   Wink
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2019, 04:53:49 AM »

Definitely the old one with possibly a little touching up as Pete has shown.  I am away at the moment so can’t play for my own amusement but in truth it does not need much methinks.   And definitely don’t mess with the birds as I feel you will lose the whole character.  Aircraft like this took a lot of wear and tear very quickly and so a pristine appearance would look rather wrong.  A superb job by the way - as has been said looks better and better!

Jon, behave.!
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2019, 07:02:57 AM »

Tim, if you send me the highest res version of the logo that you have and exactly what you want done to it I can play with it in Photoshop (previous life as a professional retoucher).
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I didn’t expect so many responses. It’s helped me to decide to go with the “old but tatty” version but I will definitely take Monz up on the offer of some digital help to tidy it up a bit. Thanks Monz, I’ll send you a PM tomorrow.

I’m glad you noticed the streamlining Bill, most people miss that!
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2019, 08:42:10 PM »

Yeah, so it has.
Great place New Zealand. Have visited five times using the War Birds Over Wanaka and Omaka airshows as my excuse.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »

Hi Tim.  I like your Logo exactly as it is now too.   That big  Douglas World Cruiser bipe is a very interesting aircraft.
     That Logo really is great "Folk Art",  and the artist was very clever with the subject matter and composition,   which is very reflective of the times.   It is interesting how the artist got most of the globe in there ...
     Actually,  the more I look at that Logo,  the more I want to build it  -  some aircraft get me hooked that way ...
     I have Paintshop, but I do not know how to use it, so I am looking forward to see what can be done by the Paintshop masters,  and which ever way you chose to build it, is just fine by me.

PS  sorry about the e at the end of Tim - I usually try to proofread my replies ...   Undecided

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »

Nearly finished!
I have been doing a lot of detail work recently. The biggest job was the rigging which I was relieved to get finished. The difficulty now is deciding which details are necessary, which are unnecessary but desirable and which are really best ignored!

I am hoping that Monz has been able to clean up the logo a bit but that can wait til later.

The biggest remaining jobs are the transport box (very necessary) and the scale prop (not vital but desirable).
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »

A few more.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »

Fantastic! Smiley
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »

That looks really good...

A.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »

Beautiful!

I volunteer for the trimming "protection crew" at Nijmegen...

Please do build a transport box...

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: